Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jay Homicide View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 9-3-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jay Homicide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle League
    Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:28pm
Throwing an idea out to see if it gets traction.

On a site before we had a battle league run, the general idea was you have a list of sign ups, and do weekly matches. Everybody battles each other once, so it's a way to get some good match ups, and the frequent battles mean people get sharper, and better at crafting battle verses.

The way I'd look to run it would be 16 line battles, no flips, normal text, one round a week. If you sign up to battle you'd be expected to vote on other battles as the next fixtures wouldn't go up until the previous ones were closed.

Thoughts?
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:30pm
I've seen it executed in the past when forums were really poppin' and I've seen it on forums today where it lacks. Lots of no shows are to be expected and tbh voting lacks as is. Requesting more people to vote on things would be hard to do. Not to shit on your parade I don't see many people actually participating even though they might say they would right now.
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:45pm
We have considered it, but when the battlefield is as dead as it is does t give us much faith. I am hoping to do a second season of the 1-2 league. If that was booming I'd def look at doing it but, we even had a prob with voting and no shows with that.
#bananas
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 5:51pm
My thoughts are as follows:

Respect to Jay first and foremost for stepping up and offering to do something.

Second...my view has changed a little bit over time. I think build it and they will come. Both topical twist and 1-2 punch league have demonstrated you can have success with a league format.

General advice would be to design your format to be flexible enough to absorb people dipping in and out. You also need to have a way of keeping people's skin in the game. IC2 voting slowed when people were eliminated. Voting was crazy when everyone was still in the format.

I'd also encourage you to be creative with the ways you keep people interested and try to cater to all groups. As long as people are interested they'll vote to keep it moving. If it's heading somewhere that has a finale I think that's a good idea too. We could talk about title shots, HOF recognition and things like that if it was popular.

Last thought from me is I'd consider shorter line battles. 4-8lines be my suggestion. Though equally you could make it flexible and change up the line limits as you go through.
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 8:18pm
I concur with Cuba. I think this will have more success if it is 8 line max.

Especially to kick it off, its best to set it up that it won't take too much time for someone. This making it quick and easy as well as votes could be shorter and won't be seen as a "hassle".

This is why the 1-2 was so successful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic