Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Board review
    Posted: 10 July 2017 at 3:49pm
I've been asked about rebranding one of the boards to switch the focus of it. While that's under consideration I thought I'd throw the question open...

This is what I'd like to know:

1. Are there any boards you think should be scrapped/merged?
2. Are there any new boards that you think would be a good idea?*
3. Are there any boards you think are underutilized? What could we do to make them more utilised?
4. What are the boards you check out the most?
5. What types of threads do you find the most interesting on the board?

You may or may not have noticed over time we've withdrawn certain boards and introduced new ones. For instance, we merged the Battlefield into one section and introduced L.A. magazine and the Spotlight board.

* just because you say I THINK WE NEED A BOARD FOR THIS LETS DO IT!! Doesn't mean it will happen. We may look to introduce new themed discussions as a trial to see if the ideas catch on and then look to expand these if they prove successful.
DressToKill View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 78-62-0
Form: LLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 4:09pm
I'd like to see a "battle of the month" pole added in. It doesn't have to be it's own thread but I believe big battles need more recognition as we do already have an OMOTM and etc. I'd also like to see the fuck y'all opened as it CAN be utilised to created good activity and more battles but I'm sure I'll face some resistance there from the mod team. Anyways this is a good thread, hope people chip in their ideas
The original comeback kid
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:28pm
The OM King isn't really a 'open Mic of the month' poll though. It's a competition that has a winner at the end of it.

I'm open to considering how we cater those types of things to the Battlefield though. Maybe it's just doing the 7/7 style thing once a month and you throw your name in & then we setup battles as the host wishes? Then maybe we have a poll after that for best battle?

Fuck Y'all...personally I am strongly against it. For me it creates all the wrong kind of activity, not only is just pages and pages of bickering it also absorbs all the other activity on the board. People who'd otherwise be voting and feeding are just following the drama.

Don't get me wrong, I get there's a place for drama as part of a vibrant battle scene but the Fuck Y'all board just leads to people squabbling like little girls.

I really don't want to bring it back unless someone makes a strong argument for it. And even if they did I'd want it to be on a trial basis.

The main problem with that is it requires Scotty to bring it back and to axe it if it isn't successful and he's not necessarily the most responsive.
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:43pm
well, I already asked if you would rebrand "Emcee Lounge" for me.

the idea being theres a strong interest in becoming better sonically on LA. the theory would be we could have mixing discussions, id like to focus on beats myself, but we could have monthly mix contests where someone throws up a session and all interested get a shot to mix it.

add in beat making and that could spawn to remix competitions. but at the end of the day, its more about bringing a community together.

but to start, maybe a mix subforum. where you can ask questions, post suggestions, maybe share some stuff youve tried (like DTK's DIY vocal booth)

was just an idea.
#Bananas
DressToKill View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 78-62-0
Form: LLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:51pm
I love Neek's idea as I know he's got a lot of information to give. Seems audio has taken off here on LA since the days when I started so maybe we start catering to that side a little more? I'd love to learn more about mixing and such from members here because right now YouTube tutorials are my only source of information
The original comeback kid
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 8:43pm
I been thinking for a while now that we would benefit from something like a Gallery type board, where individuals could gather a range of there work for display purposes only, not feed.....Comments and props pages could run alongside nicely but the gallery pages only editable by the author of each gallery, One gallery per writer that wants a gallery unlimited verses
It would give longevity to some of the sites best written works and writers
It's just a rough up idea ATM but if you like it cube and think it could work then let me know and I will collaborate with you and elaborate on my vision
I

The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by spume corrupt spume corrupt wrote:

I been thinking for a while now that we would benefit from something like a Gallery type board, where individuals could gather a range of there work for display purposes only, not feed.....Comments and props pages could run alongside nicely but the gallery pages only editable by the author of each gallery, One gallery per writer that wants a gallery unlimited verses
It's just a rough up idea ATM but if you like it cube and think it could work then let me know and I will collaborate with you and elaborate on my vision
I

I agree with quite a bit tbh. I've been wanting to make a thread with all my previous OMs so I don't have to go back and try find them all the time. Just so I know I have a list there of everything. This way we can go back and read our favorites too. Lets say if someone like Chain through up a list of all his OMs and shit. 

Issue with this is. Only way to make it work as is, is have a gallery forum and that specific person has to go in and put up all their work in their own thread. Or Scotty would have to code a new page that could do it automatically then could just revert a profile link to their gallery of OMs/work. 
Go my Minions!

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:07pm
I really like the gallery idea...if you wanted to take it to the next level you could do a featured artist page where we put a 'spotlight' on a member.

I suppose way of doing that in the short term would maybe to do a mag feature where you went in depth on an artist and pulled out a bunch of their drops or whatever.

We could maybe vote for our favourites as a community to get the ball rolling?
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:09pm
That's the way it should be though Law, solely editable by the individual account holder of each gallery
So not necessarily a complete works just the writers favourite verses at any given time

I am pretty ignorant about the technological possibilities of utilising this idea on LA, but I have some other ideas that would expand the concept and make it a much used part of the site
If it gains initial interest I will say more

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:09pm
@Neek I really like the idea of making it a knowledge hub where you have discussions around topics the community want & do like practical challenges and shit so it becomes really immersive.

I think we talked about it being a potential pull in for other members too. You could be doing shit like YouTube videos then linking into the site for broader discussions and all that potentially.
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 10:16pm
Some thoughts about boards themselves...

1-2 league becomes BATTLE LEAGUES
Text Battle/audio/DQ Archive become BATTLE ARCHIVE
Elevation Centre/Emcee Lounge/Rap Tutorials become THE LAB

Also propose merging the HipHop chit chat, Pictures & Graphics and the Sports and Entertainment one into a singular chat board...not sure about the name

Would get rid of Bannings & Warnings as we rarely do bans now.

What do people think about Spotlight board? Do people actually view it?
Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Alter Egos

Stats: 14-33-0
Form: LLLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 1:20am
I mostly view "new post" just to see what's new or "active users" to see what everyone's interested in , I find there's not enough action in the spot light or the l.a mag, I'd like to see more movement in those 2 sections, A lot of the mags members put together are good reading material , so yeah I'd like to see more articles , and that gallery idea is dope
See no evil speak no evil silent echo alter ego
inner demon violent beast so
warn the mother fucking people
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 1:32am
Speaking only for myself i do use spotlight,but the gripe i have with it,is that it doesn't
Seem to run at the same pace as current happenings here at LA..just my tuppence worth,but I do feel personally there's a place for it..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 1:59am
Originally posted by The Law The Law wrote:

Originally posted by spume corrupt spume corrupt wrote:

I

I agree with quite a bit tbh. I've been wanting to make a thread with all my previous OMs so I don't have to go back and try find them all the time. Just so I know I have a list there of everything. This way we can go back and read our favorites too. Lets say if someone like Chain through up a list of all his OMs and shit. 

Issue with this is. Only way to make it work as is, is have a gallery forum and that specific person has to go in and put up all their work in their own thread. Or Scotty would have to code a new page that could do it automatically then could just revert a profile link to their gallery of OMs/work. 

I agree with this.. I couldn't even begin to explain my frustration with the search function when trying to find some of my old stuff.there are still pieces I try to find and have no luck, eventually just quit searching because of the errors and random shit the search comes up with.

Also, there are probably so many classic fucking verses that either got slept on, or lost in the thread that still to this day are classics, and should be added to the classics section. It's just so hard to find, new members will never see it.
+Sick-Witted+
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Crimson Juice Crimson Juice wrote:

Speaking only for myself i do use spotlight,but the gripe i have with it,is that it doesn't
Seem to run at the same pace as current happenings here at LA..just my tuppence worth,but I do feel personally there's a place for it..peace.

Yeah the issue with that is the spotlight is all manually operated and gets lost in the work. Their still needs to be better delegation between the staff on who is in charge of getting what complete. And if one can't do it, who is the person that has to pick up that slack.  
Go my Minions!

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 7:14am
To be honest I stopped updating the Spotlight as I was unsure if people were actually using it or it was serving it's purpose.
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 9:25pm
By no means what I am going to mention is an immediate need, just a cool addition. I often see "likes" on peoples posts but cannot tell who did the liking. That would be a cool feature.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic