Open Mic: call my bluff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HI-Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Alter Egos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HI-Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: call my bluff
    Posted: 03 December 2016 at 1:03am
Yo, I want fame but I won't do everything to get it Keep my integrity intact like the cellophane on a pack of cigarettes.

Won't settle for anything less than the respect im given, it's eye for an eye thats how it was written, listen keep ya checks.

I don't need to be put in a position where I feel like I owe you for something ya missin, let me give you some context.

You know I'm livin in debt but I'll reject your hand outs with no regrets in a second no disrespect intended and not to mention.

That your censorship is offensive I know my actions have consequences but I thought words were free from oppression.

Like a women dressed in a mini skirt i don't need any extra attention I flirt with death just to put life in perspective.

How you figure that a newbie is supposed to impress now I see why Dave moved to Africa over da stress and the press said.

That he was fucked in the head fighting depression and needed to be put on meds, he booked a flight instead.

It was the smartest thing he ever did, he chose respect over the bread some say he neglected his kids by not telling them.

But that ain't how it is, us real cats know sometimes ya gotta walk away in order to stay whole, listen ta Willie Nelson.

That country bumpkin had a pretty decent message his lyrics weren't hidden,didnt always play the cards fate dealt em.      
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 5:19am
this reminds me of those long bar pieces thats popular on another site. Overall, i like the message here. I believe its about selling ur soul(or more accurately DONT) or something to that effect. 

This style CAN work, but based on what i've seen when people do try this style, the multies has to be ON POINT. But i think ur certainly moving close to the right direction because there were semblance of inner rhyming which is better than just rambling until the end of the line. Like of the rhymes. "cigarettes" "keep ya checks" ha, dope! But yeah if u absolutely have to do the long bar, implement more multies and you'll def see the difference. Keep writing, Hi-Z!

HI-Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HI-Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 4:18pm
Hmm..."a semblance of inner rhymings",all right
THANKS sammy   

Edited by HI-Z - 03 December 2016 at 4:40pm
S Dubb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 2-7-1
Form: LLLLNL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S Dubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 10:22pm
"That your censorship is offensive I know my actions have consequences but I thought words were free from oppression. 

Like a women dressed in a mini skirt i don't need any extra attention I flirt with death just to put life in perspective."

^^That was a solid bar, the metaphore was deep and the point was well put...

Overall I feel this piece could of used a lot of work, other then the bars above I didn't really see anything else that really stood out to me...  This was a decent verse, just there's room for improvement....  Your vocabulary is great and your flow is iffy,  you got great potential to be a good artist, I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.... I'll rate this only a 6/10 though, like I said nothing really stood out and wowed me....
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 2:19am
I agree with Sammy here. Obviously if you go for the long-bar structure, the internals have to be emphasised thoroughly. Here, however, they were very subtle, like in the Willie Nelson segment. At some spaces you had more tangible ones. But I think if you incorporate multis it'll make for an overall smoother read. I've seen a few verses from you already, if I recall correctly, and I think this here is a nice improvement in terms of technicality, though.
Content-wise, it was also rather nice with a few really interesting concepts, such as the 'words were free from oppression'. I thought that segment was nicely 'worded'. But you also had some more direct lines which seemed statement-ish, like the 'context' section in the beginning. It would be interesting to see you writing about one main topic with a consistent narrative. But I enjoyed the tone of this verse throughout. Decent work overall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic