Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ransom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 2-0-0
Form: WW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ransom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you sign?
    Posted: 09 March 2015 at 6:51pm
 So I have been rapping for years and have traveled the states dropping lines. I have hung out with many artist including some very well known ones and in my teens and very early 20's I signed with two labels, Straight eye records in Texas and Kool aid records here in VA (don't ask)... Now while planing to move on from music I MAY have the biggest opportunity of my music career by signing to a well known label. They have artist that are featured on MTV and perform on platforms such as the eye heart music festival. So whats the issue? Travel and privacy... They travel all the time, now if I were in my early 20's I would be gone... But I have my daughter and I am a very private person so all in all i'm not only scared of my own success but i'm not even sure I love the game like I use to. I kicked it with Akon one time in Atlanta at a studio and was shocked by the stress and the invasion of privacy that comes with this game... SO what do you guys think? 

Once again I am not saying I have signed to this label or that they will sign me, but early talks are making me nervous, meaning they are going pretty good...
~Lyrical Death Dealer~
"The Mike Myers of Papyrus"
barrybondz View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barrybondz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2015 at 6:53pm
DO it. You belong in the mainstream, go on with it and never look back and take the world by surprise.
daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2015 at 7:03pm
Ransypants,

Ask yourself a few questions brothaman. Is music your passion? Do love music? If you have an opportunity to try something new and its towards something you love doing, take that chance bro. You don't want to look back in life and said that you shoulda coulda would have. Don't let these opportunities fly by you.

These are more personal issues that you need to overcome I think. Im a lowkey guy for the most part. I love my privacy and I hate travelling also but if I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to take on, im taking it regardless of my personal issues. I wouldn't want to look back and say "damn I wish I took that opportunity". You don't know if you would like it or not. Your fearing the unknown right now brah. I have took many leaps and chances in life and I have learned that its the chances that I passed up that urk at me the most today. Even the chances I have took and they were completely wrong, I didn't regret them. Take this as a sign bro, someone somewhere threw you a bone and wants to see if your gonna bite it or not. Bite that fucking bone. For real though, 99% of the cats on this site would be bragging and going crazy for the chance. I hope you get signed because you are by far one of the best Audio headz on LA.

Ransom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ransom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2015 at 7:14pm
Bonds - I always appreciate your support bro, no doubt about it man will see fam..

Dizzle - I feel you bro, and yea the unknown scares everybody but once you sign man you are owned and that's what bothers me more then anything.. I use to wanna be the king of rap, then I wanted the money... Turns out I have pretty nice throne right here (sorry).. and as money goes i'm pretty good bro.. Just seems what made me love hip hop at 14 is no longer whats important to me today.. But I appreciate your feed back bro and ill keep you guys updated.. 
~Lyrical Death Dealer~
Mission View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Mic of the Month

Stats: 8-9-1
Form: LWLLLN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2015 at 7:46pm
Ransom, first off congrats on even being considered. Thats huge and after all these years you certainly have earned it. I understand the privacy thing. We see these big name artists who are hounded by fans and the media and its obviously stressful. And having a daughter, traveling and privacy can be a big thing. However, you gotta think long term. 1. Not sure how old she is, but what girl wouldnt wanna get to say their dad is a famous artist? 2. its always good to break out of your shell, what better way then to do it while being paid. 3. You have a great talent and can offer alot to the game and your music with the experience you have. You have a talent, and a message for it, letting it die isnt the right move. 

We would all love to see you make it and I would be thrilled. Plus, to say I knew Caeser when he was just a rap forum artist and collabed with him, whew lol. I think you should definitely continue the talks and pursue this it would be great for you and i believe once you adjust you will be glad you did.  
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2015 at 9:20pm
Something like this is for you to decide and only you. Nothing anyone says on this site, including myself should influence you in your choice. You signing or not signing will only effect you and your family.

With that being said, I am assuming that it's only you and your daughter because you didn't mention a significant other in the picture. I don't know how old she is and if you could talk to her about this and she would understand but if so that is the first step on figuring out your choice. At least in my eyes, it must be whatever is best for the family whether it's the choice you desire or not. You have to ask yourself if you sign, how will that effect your family. Will you still be able to raise the daughter the way you want to, what amount of time will you have? Will you be missing any special moments of father hood? Because all that traveling you are talking about doesn't seem like it would be stable for a little girl especially around the 'hip hop' environment. 

Second thing is what's the initial pay you'd think you would be receiving and how much more is than what you are making now. And whats the possibility of you making it to the big stage and as you said about privacy, that will all be out the window at the point. 

Third thing is what kind of success do you really want. Do you want the riches and fame? Do you want to be able to say that you've made it? Or do you want a great, quiet life with your daughter and spend all that time turning her into the woman that you want her to be in life? There are always opportunities elsewhere to make the money and have a successful career.

However, congrats, and I'm sure whatever choice you make would be the right one. Out of anybody on this site, I would think that you would be the one to do something a little more with it based on your audios. 
Go my Minions!

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2015 at 10:58pm
Curious on the privacy point what you think the issue is, because you are very likely to be anywhere near as successful or prolific as someone like Akon. That's not me hating or anything, just being realistic. Obviously you would have a public profile if you were successful but I can't imagine it'd be anywhere near a genuine star.

I'd also be very careful about scrutinising any deal you get...as they often try and make you feel like you're a big shot but actually you are getting very little out of it financially for yourself. It's a big investment for them to market you, to promote you, to have you travelling around. I remember that skit Royce did at the start of "On the Road" from the MIC mixtape when he basically says the only way he can make money is to go around doing shows and I think that's ultimately going to be your reality unless you're lucky enough to be in the 0.01% who become huge and can make money through marketing opportunities.

Apart from that, I'd echo everything Law said...understand what's important to you & let that guide you. If you think this is going to be a path to fame and fortune then that's not the right reason to do it...you could make a decent loving out of it & make a good living for your family. But don't expect to be a millionaire or anything.
Ransom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ransom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2015 at 10:25am
Law -  Great advice man and at the end of the day it will all work out, as for my daughter shes four but shes smart and understands I travel even with my current career so it won't be to bad on her... As for the money I would have to earn my stripes so if its anything like the past, hitting the road for 2 months could easily make a years salary just depends on who im opening for.. Now once everything changes if it changes and I start doing shows im sure it's a lot more money than I would make any where else. The problem is I know artist that were on diddys label that are broke.. So like cuba said gotta read the fine print..

~Lyrical Death Dealer~
Ransom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ransom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2015 at 10:31am
Cuba - Good look on the feed man, I have to ask you have you ever listened to Em, jay-z, 50 cent or any other artist before they got in a million dollar studio and had 24 hours of the day to sit and write.. It's night and day, look these guys tracks up on you tube before they got signed and you will see the difference.. As for me not being as big as Akon, I would say I have no idea but I can tell you of two things that happened to me that makes me feel like I might get more then i'm asking for.. I once left my CD playing while I went in and paid for gas, when I came out a young lady was standing next to my truck asking who was rapping, I told her it was me but didn't have any copies, she actually paid me 20 dollars for a 6 track mixtape.. The second was going through the drive thru and having a guy ask me the same thing.. So who knows never had any random people ask me who I was listening to any other time. Maybe I never sell a album or maybe I might shock the world Cool.. appreciate the feed fam
~Lyrical Death Dealer~
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2015 at 1:42pm
I've always learned that the industry only wants low-risk artists. People who are proven they can have a following or run themselves and their own products without the backing of major labels. The only thing I hate doing, without any definite answers, is putting all my eggs in one basket. Yeah there is pros and cons to that. But isn't that risk? As a father, I can say you aren't living for yourself anymore. Hence why I stopped recording, work a full time and part owner in my own business. But if you see this as your passion and potential to be more comfortable for her, go for it. If there's doubt don't. Like you, I'm a man of definite. The music industry isn't that. I think less that 3% of people stay relevant. One hit wonders, thats not what you are in it for. Plus, that one hit wonder check doesn't last forever. Also, will you be confident enough to know your track/record/whatever is going to pay back the front they give you for studio time, production, beat, promotion, etc? I'll be quite honest in saying I read none of the responses above and could be replicating what they already said. Overall, make a decision for your daughter. Not yourself. Father to father.

Edited by iLL ScriptureZ - 10 March 2015 at 1:48pm
SwordedStylez View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 3-0-1
Form: WWWN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SwordedStylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2015 at 6:54pm
OK so I was ghosting and saw this and had to chime in based on my personal experiences (though admittedly at much smaller labels than the one you're currently in talks with.)

Firstly, the "industry" is a very tough place, there are no fixed guarantees of earnings and there's a lot of compromising on everything else in your life if you want to make money at ANY level as a professional.  Secondly you have to be extremely SELFISH to make it in this game. That's not to say you have to be a cock but you DO have to put the "dream" or career above pretty much anything else there is - I think you're pretty aware of this already hence a lot of your reservations about your daughter.  

With that being said there's a few things I'd be considering here. First is royalties. Royalties work in a "3 part" system: the person who made/wrote the music, the person who wrote the lyrics, the person who paid for the master recording.  As a rapper the usual scenario would be that the label buys the beat from the producer and gains 2/3 of the royalties - if you're a producer you're lucky because you can keep 2/3 for yourself (like most rock bands who write their own music.) Financially that means that the larger portion of your initial earnings will come from shows, a 3rd royalty on (at least on a national scale i'm sure) a relatively unknown artist isn't going to pay big bucks (though it WILL pay)to the artist.  Most artists make their money at shows (and with any percentage they get on merch) whereas the labels tend to make money on the records - this actually means that labels tend to be more flexible with touring than they are with recording schedules and could work in your favour, however, as stated you'd be relying on shows for a huge portion of your overall income.

Honestly it's a tough one man, though my "dream" isn't a rap one, if an established rock label came knocking i'd drop absolutely everything to take that opportunity, but then i don't have your responsibilities either.  I'd get a good lawyer and let it be known as much as you can how much your family life is important to you. Try and negotiate as much "freedom" in your touring as you can and maybe agree to harsher recording schedules to compensate. Ill hit on a great point, a label doesn't waste their time on someone they don't think has a shot, so if they're interested then they obviously see a marketable cat and "The sky's the limit" really on what you can acheive (though again, hard work etc will come into play.)  See how MUCH they value you man, they may actually be more flexible than you are imagining (as you say, you aint a 21 yr kid any more) and give you a deal you can easily live with.

Either way man, massive congratulations from one musician to the next, props homie.
Ransom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ransom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 10:55am
Ill - you are my boy man, if i'm ever in Jersey man we will have to kick it... I'm always a father first so I got that covered and I actually got her opinion before I made my next move..

Swords - Whats up fam, I feel you man.. I have been on smaller labels and been through contracts and all the fine print... Was like a retard reading over my ascap papers learning the radio actually paid me for playing my shit, That was when I was 17. And yes man the freedom is everything so you are spot on with that...

So far just small talk, Went in last night and recorded a track for them.. Ill upload it on here later tonight it came out pretty sick, I forgot I could  spit like that lol
~Lyrical Death Dealer~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic