Open Mic: I'm Not The Devil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
King Soul View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm Not The Devil
    Posted: 24 August 2015 at 9:51am
Waking up with blood on his shirt, what has he done? He's alert.
Breaking stuff as he runs from the worst, as he lunged from the curse.
Escaping the drugs and guns he dispersed, his lungs... they burn,
blaming the lust on steel reserve, having so much 'fun' it hurts.
Usually it's get drunk and high, my supply makes you punch a guy
brutally until he's numb or dies, sometimes, it rolls your tongue or eyes.
Truthfully, I use to love Christ, but I've plunged far from the sky,
ruthlessly abused the light by getting stuck in the darkest lies.
This life wasn't chosen, it's been destined by my own omens,
homicide to cope with, street lessons and a throne that's broken.
Crucify my soul in concrete, compressed with snow and roaches,
rectify? It won't reprieve the damage... I'm known as hopeless.
Destroy your family with hallucinogens, your boy's a calamity, lost within it,
each voice rambling inside his skull is acidic, he seems poised but watch for a minute.
Deployed over enemy lines, he rocks and fidgets, any noise can launch him to twitchin',
annoyed enough to stop his business and poison himself with rocks in the kitchen.
You hate the dealer but I'm not the devil, your son escaped, eager for a cure,
blame the reaper that he tries to rebel, the wraith that teeters unsure.
Facial features he can familiarize with... he resents the deceiver's lure,
he overdosed to get away from you, I simply sent him deeper into the purge.
thryjoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-2-1
Form: LQL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thryjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2015 at 2:56pm
This was good, nice topic. It was interesting. Your rhyme scheme was good, you had flow in there. But you rhyme words were iffy. Usually rhyme words should be the same amount of syllables, oftenly the words should be 2-4 syllables. So it was okay overall, just mainly those syllables you should work on.

Also multis, forgot to mention those. They look like

Blah, blah, blah, King Soul
Blah, blah, blah, bring Cole

I don't know, that was a pretty shitty example, with an extremely short bar, but you should get the point.
they told me it was reality, but it's really all in your mind.
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2015 at 10:05pm
I can see why you describe yourself as a writer / poet as you have good rhyme scheme and really descriptive phrasing, just the word selection gives it a real gritty / tangible feel. I think the flip side of that is you sacrifice fluidity at times & you possibly over describe at the cost of a crisp / slick / progressive narrative.

But I guess you're getting back into the swing still, so can't be too mad. Was a good drop and interesting to see your style on display as well.
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 1:39am
Waking up with blood on his shirt, what has he done? He's alert.
Breaking stuff as he runs from the worst, as he lunged from the curse.
Strong opener, It's sometimes difficult to word a storytelling opener to come across as natural but you accomplished it here. Mechanically on point too, vivid vocab, good allround.
Escaping the drugs and guns he dispersed, his lungs... they burn,
in the above line i think it woulda sounded a lot better if you dropped a syllable i the first half of the line in order to change the end rhyme to 'darkest of lies', if that makes any sense. would have ended that scheme with more of a bang imo. everything before then on point, a lot of the same good things happening in them as the opener.
This life wasn't chosen, it's been destined by my own omens,
homicide to cope with, street lessons and a throne that's broken.
Crucify my soul in concrete, compressed with snow and roaches,
rectify? It won't reprieve the damage... I'm known as hopeless.
Destroy your family with hallucinogens, your boy's a calamity, lost within it,
each voice rambling inside his skull is acidic, he seems poised but watch for a minute.
'destroy your family with hallucinations was dope, really nice and unique imagery in this section
Deployed over enemy lines, he rocks and fidgets, any noise can launch him to twitchin',
annoyed enough to stop his business and poison himself with rocks in the kitchen.
You hate the dealer but I'm not the devil, your son escaped, eager for a cure,
blame the reaper that he tries to rebel, the wraith that teeters unsure.
Facial features he can familiarize with... he resents the deceiver's lure,
he overdosed to get away from you, I simply sent him deeper into the purge.
really nice conclusion too. enjoyed this piece a lot, not much to complain about at all. mechanically sound, solid storyline and content described vividly and delivered through a fairly smooth stream of consciousness. very solid work
LEEDSMAN 2015 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEEDSMAN 2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 2:19am
Kinda taking back by the examiners explanation very good way of explaining the rhyming patterns respect
LEEDSMAN THE RYHMER
Storm $hadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-4-0
Form: LLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Storm $hadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 3:58am
Nice opener, rare to see a rapper who's telling story with a starter if that nature except nigma and few others.. You were on point, not drifting from the topic.. And nice self-reflection( i mean the figure in the rap).. The conclusion was a nice one too..
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 8:46am
The opener and, especially, the closer were very well written, technically and lyrically pretty good.
There's nothing really to strikingly criticise about, except maybe some of your lengthier lines could've been executed smoother. I really liked the "hallucinogen" and the "blame the reaper" lines in particular. Overall, a quite nice work. 
Khumani View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Stats: 1-3-0
Form: LWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Khumani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 9:25am
I enjoyed this man, pretty cool concepts you used, it has a nice poetic sense into it, and if I had to choose a favorite part here it would be this one...
-
-
Liked the continuing of the same rhyme and the Christ part was boss. good shit fam.
King Soul View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 9:01pm
Thanks everyone. It's always nice to come to a new forum and have people like what you have to offer. 
Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2015 at 3:39am
I really liked this. flow was good rhymes were nice, but the thing that keeps you reading is your imagery and story.  Some heavy lines in there. Got the point across very well.  I think a some points the rhymes mightve been off or mismatched but it never takes away from the content and passion in the verse which stands out here. Youve got excellent imagery, real vivid. and youve obviously got an understanding of rhymes and flow. great piece, look forward to seein more from you.
King Soul View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2015 at 5:02am
That mean I can join Renegades? lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic