Elevation Centre: Audio Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Konflict View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Konflict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Help
    Posted: 07 September 2016 at 5:49pm
So it's been a while since I've recorded anything. For the adios heads here, what programs and mics do you recommend? The last program I used was cool edit so you can imagine how out of the loop I am lol
Sky Scrapur View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sky Scrapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 6:10pm
I use Audacity for vocals and Fruityloops for creating beats. Thats all im experimenting with, im a noob to this lol.
Droidian View Drop Down
BIG GAME KILLER!

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 7-2-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Droidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 6:30pm
what kind of budget you got?

Bakardi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-4-0
Form: LLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bakardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 6:33pm
I use Reaper to record and I have a $100 Audio Technica mic, I usually export my vocals dry (just a little coompression) from there I upload them into FL studio and add reverb and any other effects I may want
Droidian View Drop Down
BIG GAME KILLER!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Droidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 6:39pm
that the AT2020?

Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 7:40pm
I am another reaper user. It has a 60 day free trial which is great. Then after that I think the program only cost $60 and its in league with all the top programs, just doesn't have that big name yet. It's def on its way up there.

I was using audacity before, and in regards to recording and basic mixing, reaper is hands down better in my opinion. Now, being honest, I don't really know how to mix, but it's the easiest interface imo to record, move audio, fade in/out, split audios, delete, combine and heal splits afterwards. All those things you do with your mouse and at most 1 single key. You don't need to go to an effects button and shit, so it makes it very easy.

Plus reaper is nondestructive and you can hit undo until you get back to an empty file. It's undo feature is never ending (as long as you haven't exited the program and re entered it.

+1 to reaper from me.
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 7:45pm
In regards to the mic, that's a diff story. Depends heavily on how serious you want your recordings to be. Are you wanting to buy a microphone and never need to upgrade it? Do you want a mic that records extra crisp or more on the deep side (depends on voice). Do you want a plug and play mic that connects via usb, or do you want to buy/have an audio interface to connect the microphone via analog.

Then beyond that, are you wanting to have a straight microphone plugged in, or do you also want to have a pre amp. Are you going to buy a pre amp now or in the near future?

Have you even messed with a daw yet so that you are sure you want to go down the mixing path, some people prefer to leave that to the professionals. If that's the case you better off finding a studio with good hourly rates.

Seems I answered your questions with a thousand of my own, but I hope these questions help lead you to the answer you seek.
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 7:46pm
And in regards to the daw, some are better for beat making, and some are better for vocals. Are you wanting to do both? Just one, which one?

Beats- fruity loops
Vocals - any major daw or reaper.
Bakardi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bakardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2016 at 3:56am
Originally posted by Droidian Droidian wrote:

that the AT2020?

Yessir
Droidian View Drop Down
BIG GAME KILLER!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Droidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2016 at 4:02am
how you liking in? solid company.

Bakardi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bakardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2016 at 4:16am
It is awesome quality for the price it costs, although I recorded on my friends Bluebird mic recently and that blows AT out of the water, still though, for $100 it gets the job done
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2016 at 4:47am
use AT for the 100-150 range

3-400 go with bluebird or smb7b are both nice

consider if you want a pre amp up front before you buy a mic. you may want to spend less on mic n more on pre amp.

Konflict View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Konflict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 12:13am
Holy shit thanks guys. Reaper sounds more up my alley

I used to use Cool Edit Pro and it was fairly easy and I got pretty good at mixing and Reaper sounds very similar to how you explained it.

I'd like to use a USB mic. Thoughts on those???
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 12:16am
do you want it for your desk, or for a separate stand? if for desk, I've heard good things about the Blue Yeti

if you can for over a couple more bucks than the yeti, but still be under 200, then the rode nt-usb

if you use a mac instead of pc, maybe look at the apogee mic 96k, but that's like 230$ usd
Konflict View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Konflict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 12:38am
yea it'll be for a desk, I'm not focused enough to try to build a make shift studio or anything lol. I just want to get some tracks out without it sounding like ballsack. Thanks for the advice! I looked in to the NT-USB and it looks about right for what I need.
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 12:46am
but, if you are willing to pay 180ish for a mic, id probably recommend saving a little longer and buying a small audio interface. I have the scarlett2i2, I think it was like 100-150ish, and then you can buy an analog mic which has growth opportunity. you can get a decent analog mic for 200ish that would blow the usb's out of the water
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 12:51am
BUT then if you go that route, you will eventually want to get real monitors (speakers to monitor music), and personally if I could go back, I wouldn't have bought my mic yet, I woulda gotten the monitors, then the mic.
regardless, you are going to need a good set of headphones for when you record. you cant play the music thru speakers a the mic would record it.

you will need to listen to high quality playback of your recoding to be able to mix it. that's why you need either good headphones or monitors. yea, you can do it with speakers, but you don't really know what you are hearing because its not of studio quality for studio mixing.

there is a lot to take in account, I don't mean to overwhelm,, but make sure you do your homework and have enough knowledge before you buy it to know what is your priorities and whats really worth it.
Konflict View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Konflict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 12:56am
fuuuuuck....no I don't think I'm that involved to go that route lol. I honestly just want something that plugs in, works and doesn't sound like I'm rapping over a cell phone. Audio interfaces and monitors are waaaaaaay beyond what I'm willing to put up with or pay for lol

Final Boss

Audio Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 1:08am
ok, cuz for me, I love playing music loud all the time, so its dope to have great ass speakers for more than just my own music, but mainly to also play music in my house .... I probably shoulda mentioned that too. that what I emant by your priorities and whats realistic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic