General Board: Hey Cuba, how do I post YouTube links properly?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Cuba, how do I post YouTube links properly?
    Posted: 02 January 2017 at 8:34pm
Well, it's funny you should ask, little munchkin, Scotty actually created a whole thread dedicated to explaining this in Frequently Asked Questions. You can check it out here.

Hey Cuba, I didn't know I just needed the bit of the URL after the = sign...how come it works for me anyway when I use the whole link?

Well I aint a fucking programmer...ask Scotty or Law if you want a proper explanation. But you know when you use the site in mobile & you open a thread with an embedded YouTube link and you get this random file downloaded to your phone?

Yup, you guessed it, that's because of YOU, asshole!! Post your YouTube links properly and don't be a menace.

Scotty also handily built in a little feature in the post reply section (yes, it's also in the quick reply section too) which says "Enable BBcodes", guess what, the BBcodes bit is a hyperlink which shows you how to use all the various bits of code you might desire. 

And guess what, that shit is also available in the mobile version too...so no excuses, assholes!!

Disclaimer: This may have already been embedded in the underlying software/whatever Scotty used to build the site. See part about I'm not a fucking programmer.

That is all.
Jay Homicide View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 9-3-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jay Homicide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 9:06pm
They say talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity.
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 9:08pm
Well, that popup shit is driving me crazy Wacko
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 9:55pm
The most awesome part of this post is because it's directed at me. I'm a certified asshole :(
#Bananas

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 9:57pm
Lol! Talk to'em Cuba!

Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 10:57pm
I always seem to fuck this up to be honest.
#bananas
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:57am
Beans bro you need to learn how to post them YouTube links properly!!
Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 95-24-5
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

Beans bro you need to learn how to post them YouTube links properly!!

I'ce always done [tube*] Sick ass video from beans here[/*tube]

like it says in the thread scotty made
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 4:38pm
Nah bro you're only doing it half right...this is what you do:

[Tube*]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcnWxb_hKaE[/*tube]

This is what you're supposed to do:

[Tube*]ZcnWxb_hKaE[*/tube]

So just the bit after the = sign in the link
Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Beans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 4:40pm
thats fucking dumb
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:04pm
I think it's supposed to make it easier for you guys...crazy I know
Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 1:23am
Doesn't help me... shoulda just pm'd me saying stop posting dope stuff bruh
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 5:28pm
Haha, I'm all for the embedded videos man...the download thing on my phone just fucks me off.
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 5:43pm
cant blame people tbh 

on any other website on earth you either just post the YT link and it automatically imbeds it, or the code is {youtube}ZcnWxb_hKaE{/youtube}

couple of wonky things like that on this site. . . 

other one being that its damn near impossible for administration to change a screen name???? Thats done in two seconds on every other rap site lol. Then when you create a new account just to change your screen name you get banned for it lmao. . . yea. kinda silly 

Edited by rhetorical - 24 February 2017 at 6:19pm
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 5:59pm
Bro, our code is exactly as you described EXCEPT that it's TUBE rather than YouTube...I don't think it's that hard to adapt to.

On the screename thing, that's the current parameters we have to operate to. I dislike people creating a new account as we have people who just create a new account when they get an L in an attempt to get a perfect record. There are loads of examples of that happening.

We have a long term plan to move to an ELO based system which would eliminate that incentive for people & also encourage battles between heavy hitters (which is why we've moved towards more organised type battles...e.g. 1-2 league, Topical Twist). As part of these changes I would be happy to consider bringing back the profile name change feature (it used to be a 'pay for' benefit, many many years ago) but it does make it a bit tough to track as a mod team...so there are downsides.

That said, it's down to Scotty to implement these changes and he's got time constraints and different priorities...so these things can be slow moving.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 6:18pm
as far as the coding, i get you. I screwed up the first time i posted a YT video, but figured it out shortly after. Still, on the majority of sites the HTML code is typically {youtube}vid ID{/youtube} so thats what people will use because we are creatures of habit. 

either way, not really a big deal. This post was informative all the same :)  

and just some back history on me @Cuba so you know where im coming from. . .

a long time ago someone informed me that a verse i wrote on another site was bitten, and i created an account (the one im currently using actually) just to come to this website and confirm that i was the original author and yada yada yada. Then i left, and never had intentions of ever posting on this site, and completely forgot i even had the account. 

Well, fast forward a long ass time later, i stumble back on this site just through a google search and thought id sign up and give this site a go. I was pretty much banned by Scotty after my first post for having an alias account, and wasn't even afforded an opportunity to explain the situation tbh. 

with that said. . . .I made a decision to come back to this site (even though i vowed not to) and I'm sure my interactions with the site have proven that i can be a contributing member .... but honestly, its something i warn people about when they ask me about this site. 

I tell them its a great site, but the admins talk down to people and are overly strict on a lot of issues. 

now, its you guy's (administrations) site to run . . . so really, im just one opinion. And, i know under it your a hell of an admin that puts in work like crazy. But the way these 'notices' are written are really just off putting for any potential new member who may be thinking about registering here. 

again, just my opinion. ill probably never make mention of it again. 

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 8:41pm
I hear what you're saying & appreciate the insight/feedback...I do get that it's a big off-putter when you're joining a new site and we come across as really strict. Scotty, in particular, has had years of dealing with idiots and so takes a very black & white view. I think that's one of the main reasons he's taken a backseat as he just doesn't enjoy that aspect.

Personally I prefer a more mature approach. So if you have a situation like yours as long as you're open about it then I'd be open to switching the accounts from the outset. I.e. you move across to new account, we ban the old one, you take any wins/losses with you. That said, we have a lot of the history linked to your profile (i.e. 5* OM's, awards, etc). That'd have to be quite early on in your career though.

I do get your first interactions can make a big impression & I understand that it's difficult to lose out on some flexibility for reasons you don't understand or think you don't apply to you. But it's tough for us as an admin team to try & flex an approach and try and be consistent and fair...because the lowest common denomination always try and worm their way around. It takes a lot of energy to deal with the trolls & it's a real downside for other people who are more sensible and would respond to a more mature approach.

I get that we're strict in a lot of ways, but I do genuinely think we increasingly try and strike the right balance...and we're always prepared to listen & respond and change when it's the right thing to do.

So yeah, more than happy to listen to what you have to say at any time. Whether in public or directly.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

I hear what you're saying & appreciate the insight/feedback...I do get that it's a big off-putter when you're joining a new site and we come across as really strict. Scotty, in particular, has had years of dealing with idiots and so takes a very black & white view. I think that's one of the main reasons he's taken a backseat as he just doesn't enjoy that aspect.

Personally I prefer a more mature approach. So if you have a situation like yours as long as you're open about it then I'd be open to switching the accounts from the outset. I.e. you move across to new account, we ban the old one, you take any wins/losses with you. That said, we have a lot of the history linked to your profile (i.e. 5* OM's, awards, etc). That'd have to be quite early on in your career though.

I do get your first interactions can make a big impression & I understand that it's difficult to lose out on some flexibility for reasons you don't understand or think you don't apply to you. But it's tough for us as an admin team to try & flex an approach and try and be consistent and fair...because the lowest common denomination always try and worm their way around. It takes a lot of energy to deal with the trolls & it's a real downside for other people who are more sensible and would respond to a more mature approach.

I get that we're strict in a lot of ways, but I do genuinely think we increasingly try and strike the right balance...and we're always prepared to listen & respond and change when it's the right thing to do.

So yeah, more than happy to listen to what you have to say at any time. Whether in public or directly.

werd man. some sites are too lose on rules and regulations and its just as harmful. Your exactly right, its about striking a balance. 

My boss has a saying he always uses. . 

"our customers perception is our reality" 

so while our customers may not know what we are working hard to correct issues for them, if we don't explain it in a way they can relate, then a bad customer experience becomes our reality. 

again, you do a great job fam. Just throwing out some food for thought. . . pzz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic