Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future of Crews: Consultation
    Posted: 26 February 2017 at 11:46pm
To make everyone aware, Senior Mods have recently been given the powers to delete crews & reassign crew leaders. Clearly, there is a need to cleanup the crew page as it stands...but this also provides us an opportunity to refresh the way we run the crew system on LA. 

The Senior Mods discussed ideas around this some time ago & although the current setup doesn't allow us to fully implement the changes we'd like to do. We'd like to take this opportunity to have a discussion about the future direction of how the crew system works on LA. 

The purpose of this discussion is to:

a) Get your response/feedback on the specific ideas proposed.
b) Invite your ideas for how you'd like crews to work in the future. 

Broad brush, our ideas:

We recognise the crew platform as a great way to encourage healthy competition between members, whilst providing an elevation platform for people within a crew unit & an engine for generating positive activity across the site through feedback on OM's/audios, voting on battles, and bringing forward ideas for events/new battle formats/etc (and driving participation in these site features).

As part of this we want to do the following:
  • Put a greater onus/responsibility on crew leaders to lead. We would expect crew leaders to positively encourage members to vote, feedback, and be active contributors to the site. We would look to encourage this process of having active members of crews by introducing a membership cap of 5 members. 
  • The mod staff would work alongside crew leaders to form the core leadership team of the site. We want to be a staff who listens to our membership, but we want to listen to those who do the right things for the site's long-term success and growth & who are prepared to step up and be drivers of action.
  • As part of the above, we would provide feedback to crew leaders about where we think they aren't pulling their weight & if things didn't improve we could change the leadership of the crew or potentially delete the crew. Obviously we would seek to avoid this where possible. 
Ideally we would look to create some kind of "Hall of Fame" for crews who make a lasting contribution or have success in the site. There are currently "legacy crews" (such as X Fade or Renegades) which we would seek to transition from "live" status into "archive" status. Ultimately we want the crew section to reflect the active membership of the site...a crew status should be earned through positive activity & it's a mark of respect to have the right to both be in a crew & to be a leader of a crew.

What do you guys think?

Kiki Spirez View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 68-26-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiki Spirez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 5:25am
Good idea. Think there needs to be a push. It's easy to get complacent. I'm pretty relaxed in trusting all my guys to do their thing without cue. But everyone can do more, myself included.
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 8:35am
Yeah i feel this is a good idea,and I know my crew is on board with this as when ppl join AE,their given a doctrine o what's expected from them,and voting/feedback is a
requirement,anyways good to see this being tackled..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Concrete View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 33-6-0
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Concrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 11:42am
Crews here are basically just something to decorate your user profile with, they serve no real function other then showing who's not hating on eachother at the moment. 

Would it be possible to program a crew leaderboard for the site? It would probably boost the competitive spirit for the crews.
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Concrete Concrete wrote:

Crews here are basically just something to decorate your user profile with, they serve no real function other then showing who's not hating on eachother at the moment.

if thats the only purpose your crew has, then your crew sucks bruh lol 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 1:43pm
Just a thought here,why don't we introduce a point system,where activity via votes/
feed and participation within LA are logged like the stats,then ppl wishing to join crews,or swap can see their levels in strength at a glance via their activity also..peace.
Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 4:15pm

Would it be possible to program a crew leaderboard for the site? It would probably boost the competitive spirit for the crews.

I like the idea of a leaderboard, not sure how it would work but definitely would bring more competition. Always useful to have some type of target to shoot for...

In general it's a great idea to focus on increasing crew activity.
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 4:24pm
Wow
Lot's of mileage for this discussion and I definitely recognise why the senior Mods feel this is an area we could improve.
So I will consider what you have said Cuba and come back with some thoughts

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 7:10pm
That's a good point @ Keeks...what I'm trying to say is that going forward there will be certain expectations on crews & leaders will be responsible for ensuring the crew meets those expectations. But at the same time, I want crew leaders to be part of the broader leadership of the site. Have an input into the direction, be part of the conversation. The point is, we are all grown ups and you guys will be free as leaders to determine the direction/emphasis of your crew.

I.e. Crim may think elevation focus is the most important therefore he gets his guys to feedback a lot. Triz may think big battles and events are more important therefore his guys lead on things like Bloodlines, 1-2 punch league. We have special "invite only" boards where we could discuss these things "offline" as it were.

I think we just need to make it clear what the expectations & responsibilities are with regard to having a crew & being part of a crew. It shouldn't just be about the badge, it should be a mark of respect to be in a crew at all because it's a recognition that your crew put in work for the site.

You've obviously not read or fully taken on board what I've laid out in my original post. Whether or not you're right, I'm taking about moving to a place that's clearly way beyond what you described.

Also, there is already a "leader board" of sorts at the moment...the current crew page ranks crews by their average net win/loss position.

I do like the idea of making this more "all encompassing" and including elements you guys are describing. But (& it's a big but) that would require back-end development to the functionality of the site. Which requires Scottys access & expertise. Given his time is limited to dedicate to LA as it is, it's going to be a case of "prove you can make improvements within the current framework you have" before we'd be able to talk about back-end development.

That said, we've got ways of tracking 1-2 punch league stats, Topical Twist stats...so we can be creative and fulfil the same aim with an initially low-tech solution in the interim.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 7:20pm
^^Good point,I didn't focus that deeply from your first post, and I get the expanse and the diversity within a scale involved,but stiil it does act as a beacon for the way forward..peace.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 8:11pm
Well I have given this some thought, honestly though I have just gone full circle and returned to were I started.
My overwhelming feeling here......
"Admin, please don't go there"!
Yes make changes, delete the mess the last change to LA's crew status caused and regulate any new additions.
But don't force your hands on any crew that is active.
Unrealistic caps, endorsed through threats
I mean Cube for example, your own crew of sorts, the senior Mods are free to go AWOL for long assed spells or avoid bothering to have any hassles of making a visible input
Obviously that works for you, it's your team
For all I know they may be working furiously behind the scenes,
Could this not be the same for crews?
Everybody's input should be ORGANIC

Nobody likes carrying the dead weight man!

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 9:57pm
*slaps head*

This is totally not meant to be a threat, quite the opposite. Guess people look for what they want to in my posts...

I'm offering to elevate the status of crews & include crew leaders in the broader leadership of the site. With that comes expectations, but that's no different from being a senior mod, a mod, or a street team member. I'm completely happy to stand by the whole staff's contribution & I'm not asking crew leaders do that much differently beyond taking a seat at the table.

That will involve us giving feedback around our expectations of crews to crew leadership, behind closed doors. You'd be more than welcome to give the same feedback to us, behind closed doors. I see this as a partnership and not as a way for us to beat you up.

All that said...if the current leaders didn't want to come on the journey and work with us, that's fine, but we'll seek different leaders who are prepared to lead from within your crews and if no leaders step up then that may mean your crew gets dissolved. Like I said before, I want to elevate the status of the crews and part of that means it becomes a mark of respect to even be in a crew at all. I don't really want people to talent hoard like I've seen in the past, so a crew cap is necessary. If anything this will contribute to more competition/rivalry between crews and an overall better and more enjoyable position for everyone all round who wants to be involved with a crew.

But...the whole point of this post & discussion is we'll listen to what you guys have to say and take it into consideration. This is not a finalised proposal or an announcement that these changes will be absolutely made in their current form. But we will reform the way crews work in one form or another.
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Stats: 41-7-5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 10:04pm
I'm ready to do whatever it takes to improve my crew and the crew section....I have to run but I'll drop more of my 2 cents when I get back

Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 10:48pm
About the bruised forehead Cubes, you know I cant make further apologies for being an ass! It feels like a duty of mine round here lately, hopefully you will find it does run alongside with my positive input approach........
I do get you 100%, even more so after that last disclosure

I will take a seat at the table and I will work with LA, shit goes without saying! 

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:00pm
Just to update people on my current thoughts on this. The crew cap could look a bit like this:

2 crew leaders
4 additional members

The crew leaders would have access to Site Discussion Forum along with the staff. For those of you who don't know that's an 'invitation only' board on the site.

I've gone through the crew boards and had a quick look at the main active crews and basically I think the only thing that would need to change from today is 1 crew would have to kick an inactive member & Empire would have to promote someone to coleader alongside Trizz. So basically not that much impact in the grand scheme of things.

The smaller crews would be dissolved (as things stand) & we'd leave the "legacy crews" in place until we can work out the best way to manage the transition into a kind of "archive". The crews I'm talking about here are: Renegades, Dynasty, X Fade, Vis
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:04pm
Might as well state the current ones I'd look to dissolve are: Aces Click, Hunger Games

I also think L.P. should be promoted to leader in Rebellion, potentially in place of H4ze but we can talk about that one. L.P. is just more active and is on Street Team anyway so this makes sense.
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Stats: 41-7-5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:27pm
good shit on this cubes

Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:35pm
Just playing devils advocate, and ask some questions that haven been asked. .

what expectations would be set on crew members? 

Typically, there are standards already set by the crew leaders that need to be met. The purpose of a crew is really just to have a sub community within the community of like minded people who want to work together. Having to meet the standards of the administration while also having to meet the expectations of the crew guidelines may be enough to discourage people from being in crews, or starting a crew.  

Also, when i ran crews in the past, there was no real leader as i like everyone to have equal say and things are decided by a vote. Would a hierarchy be forced on crews by the administration? 

Also, would crew leaders be forced to sit at the table? Would it be a requirement that individuals looking to start a crew would have to meet? Or can they opt out and just carry on with their crew? 

Edited by rhetorical - 28 February 2017 at 8:40pm
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:52pm
Crew leaders lead the crew...how they do it is up to them. To your point, the crew leaders would have a forum where they'd be able to shape and influence the expectations on the group as a whole & be able to say "actually that's not going to work for me because this is how I run the crew"...

Ultimately what I'm trying to say that those expectations should be aligned. A crew leader could potentially be "challenged" where it was perceived their crew wasn't pulling their weight or contributing enough. But it's meant to be a partnership, not the admin telling crew leaders what they need to do, or create rules and regulations or any dumb shit like that.

You're probably guessing where this is going to go but the answer to your only remaining question is, yes, crew leaders would have to sit at the table (or at least have a delegated representative) or they wouldn't have a crew. I feel this is important as that gives a crew an elevated status and becomes a privilege to be involved with a crew.

If people didn't want to participate in this system then you could have "unofficial" crews where you put something in your sig (a bit like the old New Era / LI guys used to do...i think it was those 2 crews anyway) but if people were doing that they wouldn't allowed to be involved in any "crew battles" or potentially "crew exclusive" events/tournies we may decide to run in the future.

The point is...the site needs to be self-sustaining. I want to make it the maximum enjoyable experience for those who do the right things and contribute to making this place a thriving community. If you do the right things (and you are a good example of that) we'll seek to find ways to reward, encourage and motivate you. That's what I want the leadership's time focused on increasingly and I want crews to feel they have an equal voice in shaping that direction.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:01pm
werd . . . im just asking the questions that will probably be asked. better to get it all ironed out in its infancy 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic