Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IC2 Magazine: Final Edition
    Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:09am

Wheewww!! One of the illest topical tourney ever has come to a concusion! I apologize for snoozing on the mag but life’s been kicking my ass. Between summer classes and this new job, shit got a bit hectic. But props to CUba, Nigma and Law for contributing a huge amount of time and effort to bring this final mag to fruition. 

Before i begin, a huge RIP to Prodigy of Mobb Deep. In the early 90’s Hip Hop was dominated by west g funk gangster rap. Then mid-90’s happened. Wu-Tang, Biggie and Nas brought lyrical legacy back to New York. WU and their creativity. Nas with his grim poetry and Big with his swag and staccato. But the most violent sound of defiance comes from the Infamous Mobb Deep. That album was the official soundtrack to 90’s eastcoast hoodie and timb boots era. Prodigy was a huge reason for that. His violent narrative worked wonders with Hav’s eery, bassline driven beats. If anyone is familiar with my style of rapping, you’ll know i’ a huge Mobb Deep fan. Rest in Peace to the HNIC. -- Sammy

Edited by Sammy - 27 June 2017 at 4:34am

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:11am

A Word from Cuba

What to say about Identity Crisis II? A bold move to extend the signups to 32 members paid off in dazzling fashion as the tournament got off to a flier. Although it was tough work behind the scenes, getting 16 battles completed was a stunning achievement. 71 votes to close the round out, with newcomer Agmin voting a remarkable 10 times to put many other members to shame. The quality of the voting throughout the event was extremely high, often times people dropping very detailed feedback for contestants – I really can’t call people out specifically for this as so many of you really took the time to do this, which is amazing.

Unfortunately this selflessness on the part of some didn’t inspire others and in latter rounds the voting pace slowed – perhaps not helped by the decision to extend voting to ‘best of 7’. Though this decision also helped result in some stunning turnarounds in later rounds, with several people overturning deficits that would’ve seen them eliminated under the ‘best of 5 votes’ rule. Horses for courses.

Even more disappointingly, there were several people who stopped voting and taking an interest in the tournament once they’d hit the exit. While I can understand this on a personal level, from an administrative point of view this is deeply disappointing. Particularly in this format, the admin put in a lot of effort and we need everyone to chip in and do their part to help things moving along. The top 4 voters contributed 40% of the votes in the entire tournament.

On a brighter note, the format continued to offer many surprises. Although I’m not aware of all the entries from every round (when I knew the participants I didn’t vote), I do know who the finalists were and perhaps they aren’t the two you may have expected from the outset. Though this may have been down to the no shows in the semis. No shows are always painful and not something we want to see as admin, but underlines the importance of keeping the voting flowing throughout so people aren’t dragged into other events which limit their ability to drop. C’est la vie.

What I really loved about this tourney was the quality of the verses throughout. Law really brought it with the topics and you guys didn’t disappoint. Interestingly, in the poll for ‘verses of the tournament’ there were 2 verses that came from a losing candidate. The draw threw up some amazing matchups and I hope you guys take time to re-read verses of those who entered now you know who they are, it may help to open your eyes to some of the hidden talent on the board. Congratulations to both of our finalists & to our winner, richly deserved.

Looking forward, the tournament demonstrates the depth and breadth of talent we have on LA and we’re lucky to have many of the wonderful writers we have here. I encourage you all to continue with the momentum IC2 has provided and get involved in the many Open Mic challenges we have to offer. Self Activate has an Open Mic King topic awaiting your drops, so let’s get on it and continue to go from strength to strength. --Cuba

Edited by Sammy - 27 June 2017 at 4:36am

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:24am

The Revelation

By Law and Sammy

Round 1

1. Lord Puente vs 32. Nigma

Winner: Nigma

2. Axyrocker vs 31. Rhetorical

Winner: Rhetorical

3. Sammy vs 30 Brotha Goose

Winner: Sammy

4. Que vs 29. Jay Hom

Winner: Jay Hom

5. Cuba vs 28. Stalin

Winner: Stalin

6. Amgin vs 27. Chain

Winner: Amgin

7. Rutter vs 26. Ridley

Winner: Ridley

8. Titu vs 25. Neek

Winner: Neek

9. Kiki Spirez vs 24. Concrete

Winner: Kiki

10. Slip vs 23. iLL

Winner: iLL

11. Exoduzt vs 22. Crimson

Winner: Exoduzt

12. DayDizzle vs 21. Self Activate

Winner: Self

13. Endeavor vs 20. Rap Daemon

Winner: Endeavor

14. Spume vs 19. DressToKill

Winner: Spume

15. Ashley vs 18. The Inventor

Winner: Ashey

16. Scotty vs 17. Beans

Winner: Scotty

Round 2:

1. kiki vs 16. Ridley

2. rhet vs 15. Amgin

Winner: rhet

3. Neek vs 14. Scotty

Winner: Neek

4. jay hom vs 13. Spume vs 17. Jehu

Winner: Jehu

5. Self vs 12. Nigma

6. End vs 11. Sammy

Winner: End

7. iLL vs 10. Stalin

8. Exoduzt vs 9. Ash

Winner: Exo

Round 3

1. Exoduzt vs 8. iLL

2. King Jehu vs 7. Endeavor

Winner: Endeavor

3. Rhetorical vs 6. Ridley

4. Self Activate vs Neek

Semi-final

1. iLL Scriptures vs 4. Self

2. Endeavor vs 3. Ridley

Edited by Sammy - 27 June 2017 at 4:33am

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:26am

Finals!!!

1. ill Scripturez vs 2. Ridley Squat

IC2 Finale Breakdown

By Nigma

We're going voter through voter to find out how the winner was selected.

A tournament, and to a greater extent, a site, is only as good as it’s voters. First to step in.. The one, the only, the man of many names:

The beast writer of Street Fighter

That something some sweet from Injustice League

The morbid wombat of Mortal Kombat

The lethal weapon emcee of Tekken

And most importantly, the Peoples Champ,

Neek!

A black possum crossed his passed before casting this vote because he was as terrifying as an abusive father in this vote spewing such condensation as “well… if this isnt a cluster fuck of epic proportions. both dropped the ball in the closing moments”. In any case, Neek, the world’s most conservative Vegan falls off the bandwagon while placing his vote. At first he was leaning towards Battle 2, saying“his (or her you sexist pig) ending wasnt cheesy or cornball it was straight up tofu” but later was persuaded back on board with animal slaughter complementing Battler 1 for his juicy thighs. Before leaving for a steak at Denny’s he commended Battler 1 for “his substance ha[ving] some meat to the build” which was enough to earn him a vote. ”Nigma sucks” he said in closing.

1-0 for Battler 1!

Next to step to the plate is LA’s own Annunaki bred alien wit the pen, Nomedic. WTF did he have to say? Let’s find out.

Nomed felt Battler 1 had a well rounded verse saying “your plot had basically every ingredient needed to keep me glued” . He specifically voiced his enjoyment of depth of thought in the throwback recollection and the impact the twist had. The only flaw that stood out to him was having to read it at a certain speed to catch the flow at times.

For Battler 2, the flow was the first thing to stick out positively. “It was superb not a tiny fault with it what so ever”, he said. He also commended the smooth progression of the plot. He voiced no critiques for the verse which served to show his positive views of the piece.

All in all, the advantage in plot twist and imagery leaned towards Battler 1 however Battler 2 excelled in more areas and secured the win in his eyes.

1-1 for Tie!  Lyke omgz

Next contestant, AMGIN, COME ON DOOOOWNNNN. This motherfucker came in and dropped an amazing vote on this battle, especially because he only learned what a topical battle was under a year ago. MY RESPECT. If this wasn’t an Excellent Vote I will personally kick someone in the shin to voice my disapproval.

Amgin was quite fond of Battler 1. He accredited the Battler 1 for utilising a very consistent flow throughout the verse, commended him for his slight and effective use of annotations throughout, clean schemes and transitions, and for a verse so solid that he couldn’t find a fault. “I'm trying to find some negatives for arguments sake/devils advocate, but I can't.”, he said in closing.

As for Battler 2, Amgin enjoyed the conceptual approach. He was a fan of the mechanics, specifically the natural wording and ease of transition behind this verse, but also voiced a slight concern by saying “Flow was smooth and carried well line to line although being nitpicky a reader may desire more variety and bar density”. He quoted several sections he enjoyed but went on to say some word repetitions stood out to him. In essence, it seemed only a few technical flaws took away from an otherwise exceptional performance.

In the end, the polish and consistency of Battler 1 managed to capture his vote.

2-1 for Battler 1!!

Next on the list is no new name to you voter enthusiasts worldwide. When this guy retires from voting they’ll probably change the monthly title name to the Crimson Juice Award for PETE’S SAKE

CJ had similar sentiments to his predecessors in giving props to the Battler 1 on his storytelling prowess. He enjoyed what he refers to as a ”poetic vibe” and ”vivid imagery” to the point where he ”could envisage the scene,the chase

and the feeling of being at a cross road”.

CJ had the wise eye of spotting the excellent use of assonance displayed throughout Battler 2’s verse. Among the standout points, CJ made mentions approval for Battler 2’s conceptional direction and subtle, yet creative and effective alterations of language by saying he “ liked the way you made this a competitive event,and we all know that competition brings innovation,like the making of a Boo (bow) and crossboo”

Headaches ensued as Crimson began trying to pick a winner. He even mentioned that if it were allowed, he “would call draw here”. After much deliberation he decided that Battler 2 brought more to the table and earned his vote. ” very entertaining final indeed..” he said in closing.

2-2 Sweet Alaskan asparagus tips, ITS TIED AGAIN.

THINGS ARE HEATING UP! I’m about 150 lbs and direct sunlight away from back sweat. Without further adieu (I think I nailed the spelling…) (oops sorry that was further adieu… So is this…) Anyways, next up is Slip!!

After reading Battler 1’s verse, Slip admitted to enjoying the buildup before the plot details were clear. He enjoyed the balance of detail, mechanics, and plot progression saying ”you told a great story kept it very descriptive and at the same time still had a good flow”. He also mentioned he was a fan of the characters, however the ending didn’t sit well with him. He didn’t go into detail but one could assume he sided with Neek on the cheesiness front.

As for Battler 2, he was quick to point out the difference in the approach. Split compliments the creativity, humour, and flow utilised in this drop. Although he felt the ending was much more original in Battler 2’s work, he conceded that he was equally as let down by it, saying that the rest of the verse deserved more fireworks in the conclusion.

After several reads and some deep thinking, Slip also commented on the difficult making this decision. In the end, depth and conceptual angle had him lean towards Battler 1 which is what ended up securing his vote.

3-2 for Battler 1!!!

Unlike Amgin, the next voter IS a stranger to the eyes of all our voter fanatics in the audience. And we all know IS is half of ISIS...  He has made the Top Voters list in a past, but it’s comparable to a blood moon since it’s beautiful to see, but extremely rare. In this case the rarity is the result of being a lazy, self righteous asshole. Next up is none other than.. ME!

Nigma (yes I’m starting this off talking in the 3rd person. Don’t worry, I’ll change it abruptly) expressed his fondness of the flow in Battler 1’s verse but I also pointed out a section that could have been polished a bit better. I announced initial reservations for the plot direction after speaking of how I enjoyed the mystique in the introductory section. I said how the plot story grew on my due the top notch writing and that I felt the twists were brought in flawlessly.

The thesis of my interpretation of Battler 2’s verse is demonstrated when I said ”You came correct with the mechanics and progressed a believable and well presented chain of events” . I thought the subtle incorporations of the altered wording were very effective. My thoughts on the ending echoed some of the previous voters, feeling that given the few plausible ways end it, only one was plausible which was still executed well, just dampened the effect of the twist.

Thinking back to the read of both verses, I found a deeper connection and a more thorough enjoyment in one over the other which is why I gave my vote (and unknowingly to me until now, the win) to Battler 1. ”By the way my pizza took an hour and fucking 45 minutes. Sodium levels at alltime high”, I said in closing.

The winner of IC2 is

Battler 1 Aka iLL Scripturez!!!!

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:30am

Thank You!

Congrats to my brother, iLL on winning the whole thing. And a big "Thank You" to all for contributing and helping out with, perhaps LA most successful topical tournament! Everyone here brought the muhfuckin ruckus...Rza would be proud of yall, ha. IF you still got that topical finger itching, KOTM and Topical Twist will be making a return. KOTAM is also open to all who wants to dip into the audio side of things. Until next time LA….deuces!

One Last salute to Prodigy

Edited by Sammy - 27 June 2017 at 4:36am

Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:34am
Congrats to Scripts!!! You have my respect sir.

And huge props to Sammy for putting this behemoth together as promised! 

Edited by Nigma - 27 June 2017 at 4:42am
Amgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-3-0
Form: LLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:37am
Dude!!! iLL that was fucking illllllllllll holy fuck man I still can't get over that. That ending and everything, are you a wizard?
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:38am
so endeavor beat me, huh? You know this means war, endy.....

endy the type to.... *ayo neek get'em!*

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:45am
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

noshow the semi's...
#Bananas
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Neek Neek wrote:

noshow the semi's...

Live footage of Eneez reaction

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Neek Neek wrote:

noshow the semi's...

<3

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 8:54am
also, technically since self beat nigma..shouldnt he face ill at bloodlines?!?!?!
#Bananas
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:11am
So many props and thanks to be said,that it feel like i've won the tournament..

To iLL Scripturez congrats are in order,you're one consistent mofo,and a joy to read in
topicals,you really do deserve this title and to be honest i'm not surprised you've won,
your pen game is solid as well as entertaining and absorbing,you truly have a gift with
words nouns vowels and the etiquettes of writing,(i bet you'd struggle to write a plain
letter though),well done Champ..

Ridley you have been one impressive writer in this tourney,and I still say even way after
the tournament is but a distant memory,that your pieces/verses are innovative,you do
have a flair for creativity,plus you've surprised many many ppl with your conceptual
writing,the thing is your always viewed as a dark horse,but i feel that tag has been put
to rest now,well done indeed..

A seriously huge thanks to those who made this a truly solid tournament,LAW Cuba
Sammy Amgin to name but a few,plus to all who helped behind the scenes,thank you
is also owed to you,ppl this has been one solid effort,thanks LA you're all the Bees
knees..peace.

And guys this is a solid mag right here,we'll put together and a highly enjoyable read,
thanks ppl for your time and effort here with this edition..

ps,Exoduzt i knew from round 1 it was you i was facing,your a creature of habit,every time you drop a verse,you end each bar with a hyphen -
lol..but to be honest your not the only one who have their little traits..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:33am
Great write up, lots of surprises there. I knew it was either Ridley or Kiki I lost to.

Props to Ridley for getting to the finals and congrats to scripts for champing it.
#bananas
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:44am
Grats dudes, reason I no showed was cuz I hit a rough patch and couldn't bring myself to write at that particular time. Had a lot of fun though.

And bring it, Sammy....

Aye Neek! Get emmmm!!!!
#Bananas

iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:58am
Ahh good stuff! Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I also appreciate the time and effort it took to run this with 32 battlersz kudos to everyone!
DressToKill View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 78-62-0
Form: LLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 11:03am
Congrats Ill much respect broseph
The original comeback kid
Concrete View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 33-6-0
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Concrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 12:25pm
Congrats Ill, and props to Ridley for making it to the final.
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 1:08pm
Nice write up, congrats to iLL, way to crush it.
SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 2:13pm
I only no showed to be controversial. Lol.

Nah, on the real congrats to the iLL One for reigning supreme. It' was all well deserved victory.
Props to Rid for being a lowkey topical god. Although, I always knew you were a dope writer.
Shout out to Sammy, Cubes, and Nig for the mag and various contributions throughout. SC as well.
Major props goes out to Law for putting this whole thing together.
And again to Sam I am along with Crim and Amgin for their insane endurance when it came to voting and keeping things moving at a brisk pace.
And lastly Neek for writing what was probably my favorite verse of the tourney. Which ironically was against me. lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic