Forum LockedAudio Battle Archive: [BL4] Jehu vs Swing Jay [Beat] Hey LP, it's closed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Direct Link To This Post Topic: [BL4] Jehu vs Swing Jay [Beat] Hey LP, it's closed
    Posted: 12 August 2017 at 10:55pm
3-0 to Jehu..
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 3:41pm

This vote has been accepted by a moderator.

Jehu,
your beat is very crisp and clear from start to finish. theres a nice mix on the instruments themselves no doubt. I really enjoyed the build up of your beat. it just continues to grow way more than I anticipated. im digging this a lot. the beat drops down after, I think that could have been a little bit of a smoother transition. the biggest plus is how you managed to keep the beat fresh throughout. this just one of those banger beats. I will say the ending was rather abrupt imo.

Swing,
this is completely different approach. you got more of an oldschool sound to it. I really like that higher pitched piano, but I wasn't digging the electronic sounding aspect of the deeper ones. I don't know how to exactly say what im talking about since id ont make beats. yours was more consistent in contrast. typical fade out ending, but it sounded good on way out.

not to take anything away from anyone, as im sure these took a lot of work. for me this is coming down to just preference of beat and I can vibe more with King Jehu's beat. Im also not sure how much time swingjay had to make his beat, since there was a switch in it, so his may have also been on a tighter time table, and if so props to you for making it happen. well.... props regardless for making it happen, glad to see someone throw down.

mvgt King Jehu.
Dntplywelwitothers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 3:41pm

Beat battle.

Just gonna be up front. I've never actually voted on a beat battle. This is extremely interesting to me, I'll try to be concise.

KJ: your beat had a very militant vibe to it, I can see an artist like DMX, rockin this one. It is a very "high energy" beat. You incorporate very subtle changes which seamlessly switches the dynamics...then just as subtle as you've changed it you go right back to it. Im diggin the amount of instruments used in this, sounds like it could be the score of a movie, like a hip hop Bach. It's as if you put together an angry, grimy orchestra, all wearing black hoodies in a subway in downtown New York. (Hope that explains) anyway, not a beat for you average MC (I couldn't fuck with it) ... but I can listen to this on repeat, and the reason is...I hear something new every tyme I play it.

Swing: your beat had a very laid back, on the block chill vibe to it. I could see artist like outcast rockin this. It has a lazy day tempo where as an artist could freestyle to it...It also has an old school vibe that I'm diggin. Not old school rap, more like Motown. It's got that funk mixed with blues thing goin on. I wish it had a few more change ups in it though. That's the only thing that's missing in the formula, I don't see a lot of room for diversity, if this was used as a collaboration you would need pretty similar sounding artist to rock it, or if it was solo, the artist doesn't have much to play around with as far as his/her own diversity. I also agree that this is short, I wanted it to keep going... I could definitely see myself chilling with some head phones writing to this. Job well done.

Alrighty.... so this is why this is a complicated battle to vote on. They are so far on the opposite end of the spectrum that they're not comparable. While Jehu has this savage symphony and Jay has this funky feel good. Jay's is more my preference as far as what I would write/ spit to. And Jehu is more of what I would listen to just to hear the arrangement of the instruments . Jay's beat, I feel would compliment the MC and Jehu's, i feel the MC would have to compliment it. In that aspect I think Jehu's is more complex because the instrumentals seem so meticulously placed and stand out so much that they create a voice of their own, making it a beat that could stand on its own with or without vocals. Therefore my vote goes to Jehu.... for what I consider a more composed sound.

Thanks for the entertainment fellas.
"My name has the most shout outs in the history of rap...."
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 1:20am
uppin
#Bananas
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 11:41pm

Words guys solid battle here..

Jehu yeah i fucks with this,a nice layered track here,i liked the build up vibe that
just kept coming and coming,plus it's was very instrumental if that makes sense,
the using of more sounds is hard to pull of as it can become saturated,but this had
a Phil Spectre vibe cracking off like a wall of sound,i could go on and on but I won't,
not through laziness,but through bias..

SWINGJAY you gave a very good account for yourself here,your beat was like a fishing rod,
very catchy,(and pardon the pun) i was hooked,you also had a nice layering effect
popping,although at a slower rate,(not a bad thing if you remember the fable about
the Tortoise and the Hare),the gripe i had was a weird one,i liked everything you did
here,on comparison to Jehu,it came up short and dimensional but solid,you didn't
do any thing wrong it was all good,just I feel time was the enemy here..peace.

Overall wow i now wish SwingJays track was longer,both beats were solid and i'm impressed
with Swingjay,as it's the first beat I've heard from him,in fact Jehu too,(but with Jehu being
time served I expect this level),and both were solid in their own right,but Jehu had that
extra mile,plus the the gripping vibe via the step/suspence approach,good tussle props to both..

Vote...Jehu..peace.

Edited by Rutter knows best - 08 August 2017 at 12:15am
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 9:50pm

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-vocalist-verses/swingjay-vs-jehu

^my homies entry. im posting for em, but ill link em as well. anyway, he used samples:

1,2,4,5 heard throughout.

and structure is simple, 16/4/16/4 - 84.6 bpm
#Bananas
King Jehu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Crew: Renegades

Text Rank: #4
Stats: 54-18-1
Form: WLWWWL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 4:37am

https://soundcloud.com/renegade-productions/kj-beat-battle-vs-sky

This was fun. I enjoyed the challenge and having this sample to work with. The key changes were a nice change of pace.

Uses:
Sample #3 throughout and
Sample #6 (Endeeze Special) at 0:19, 1:28 and 1:45

Intro – 4 Bars
Verse 1 – 16 Bars
Hook – 8 Bars
Verse 2 – 16 Bars
Hook – 4 Bars
Bridge – 8 Bars (I like a good switch-up on an instrumental)
Hook – 4 Bars
Coda – 4 Bars

You can download it if you want.
Insert something rappy here
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 9:29am
BLOODLINES 4 Presents:
...Jehu & SwingJay in...
The Beat Down
For the right to say "fuck you I'm the best producer, bitch"

Due Date: August 2nd 11:59pm EST

Rules: House

Must use ATLEAST one of the provided samples and give a time of when sample can be heard (modifying to unrecognizable is OK).

Time Limit: 3 Minutes

Extensions and Blind Drops can be accommodated by messaging Cuba 24HRS prior to due date.

http://www.dropbox.com/sh/8399pt15ki6plw8/AADytsTJ60RrNTyuCjnpbyAaa?dl=0

Click ^here^ for all samples!

Edited by Rutter knows best - 08 August 2017 at 12:10am
#Bananas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic