Elevation Centre: How to get more feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to get more feedback?
    Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:23pm
So I just got a PM from a member who wants to get and more feedback on his Open Mics. I gave my answer but I thought it would be an interesting question to throw out there to everyone...

Do you guys have any advice on how to get more feedback on your drops?

What are the things that make you more likely to reply to an OM post?
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:35pm
I personally just send Cuba a PM.

I dont think there is a system.. example: Self gives amazing feedback/breakdowns so folks always check for em. but then cats like Sammy hitcha with the classic "I got you tomorrow fam!!" for twelve weeks straight and folks still check for em.

id say try and get involved. write some mags. give folks a pat on the back. go to the cypher games and pick two random names and do a write up on their epic verses.. theyll hit you with feed 100% of the time.
#Bananas
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:51pm
I personally feed people on a number of criteria.

1.) I know that artists talent so I'm always down to see some dope work
2.) the artist is active feeding, participating on the site at some capacity hence why I refuse to feed Real Hip Hop
3.) people who feed my work (this goes hand in hand some cases as I feed theirs)
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Neek Neek wrote:

I personally just send Cuba a PM.

I dont think there is a system.. example: Self gives amazing feedback/breakdowns so folks always check for em. but then cats like Sammy hitcha with the classic "I got you tomorrow fam!!" for twelve weeks straight and folks still check for em.

id say try and get involved. write some mags. give folks a pat on the back. go to the cypher games and pick two random names and do a write up on their epic verses.. theyll hit you with feed 100% of the time.

Lmao!! I gotchu Neek! I mean it!

daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:08pm
If you dope, i feed.
If you dope but an asshole, i might feed
If you are an asshole and not dope, no feed
If you suck but seem interesting in improving, i feed
if you suck and i dont see you going anywhere, i dont feed
If you are real-hiphop, I HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by daydizzle89 daydizzle89 wrote:

If you dope, i feed.
If you dope but an asshole, i might feed
If you are an asshole and not dope, no feed
If you suck but seem interesting in improving, i feed
if you suck and i dont see you going anywhere, i dont feed
If you are real-hiphop, I HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE

well, im clearly #3. thanks for clearing up why Dizz.
#Bananas
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:16pm
Go my Minions!

Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:17pm
Sammy cannot be trusted.

Aside from that.

people need to realize that everyone wants to eat. We get it, you want to improve and grow as an artist... but you ain't the only person hungry.

What I'm saying is... if you don't make an effort to feed others, don't expect them to feed you. I'm not saying they won't, we got a bunch of nice guys. But don't expect it. If you ain't getting feed you fucking up.

We get you may not like all parts of it, maybe you only like battles or topicals or audios, but at least do your part in the area you participate the most with. Then there's the excuse "oh but they are better than me, blah blah blah, I got a small penis." Na fam, if you can read, then you still entitled to an opinion. Maybe your opinion will be seen as rediculous (cough cough dtk cough cough). But it will still be taken.

Maybe feed just ain't your thing... well I don't give a fuck if it's not, still give some. But if you don't have much feed you are giving, supliment it with other contributions, example that has been mentioned is with the LA Mag.

This is a community and there is a place for everyone (almost everyone). You just got to see where you fit into the community.

Also, if you are one to post unfinished om/am, that will also go against you. For one, we don't want to read or hear unfinished work. We want you to finish then we can give advice. Second reason is... if I read your unfinished version, when you post the new one I will just overlook it as I already fed once for that piece.

Well there is my opinion. Take it as you wish.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:21pm
If you want my feed on a piece with Chain featured in it......

Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 9:56pm
I feed for participation and love for poetry..

As to getting feed,it's equally about participation except for new members who should
Be feed without question as to stimulate the culture of feeding,plus perseverance is key...peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
DressToKill View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 78-62-0
Form: LLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:29pm
I recently implemented a agreement for feed. Basically drop some critiques and I'll hit you with the same love, I believe that's how the site should work all the time but ofc it doesn't always happen. For example I read some people's work who fed mine because I want to return the favour and then I find myself immediately loosing interest due to simplistic content or poor workmanship. In that case I literally just don't because I don't wanna be rude and I ain't gonna lie, I got love for lots of ya but just like any I have my favorite writers. One thing I've always offered was to help others elevate, if you got questions on anything and you feel I could help then hit me the fuck up. Battling was always my forte so mostly cats got at me for battling advice but I'll try to help on anything.

Anyways short and sweet is feed breeds feed
The original comeback kid
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 11:35pm
[QUOTE=Lord Puente] Sammy cannot be trusted.[/quoted]

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 11:57pm

#Bananas
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 12:49am
I follow no rhyme or reason if i feed i feed. 
#bananas
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Rutter knows best Rutter knows best wrote:

I follow no rhyme or reason if i feed i feed. 

spoiler alert: he does not.
#Bananas
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Text Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 1:09am
i fed a piece today actually...a whole piece.
#bananas
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 1:10am

well I stand corrected. apologies sir. I didnt know I was mistaken. how many threads did you delete tho?
#Bananas
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Text Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Neek Neek wrote:

well I stand corrected. apologies sir. I didnt know I was mistaken. how many threads did you delete tho?

I was getting somewhere but then i ran out off fingers
#bananas
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 3:02am
A whole piece so help his god
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 4:44pm
Thanks to everyone whose weighed in so far, here's what I said:

My personal advice of things to try/think about:

1. Do you want comments for comments sake or do you want quality feedback? Depending on your desired outcome there are different options to take. For instance, you could ask someone to coach you...you would get amazing quality feedback but not necessarily lots of comments on your OM, is that a better outcome?

2. Draw people in...interesting/thoughtful topic title, dropping a picture/gif in there at the start will catch someone's attention and then make the topic interesting and your drop relatively short (unless you know it's going to get a reaction)...the reason collabs don't tend to get comments in my opinion is that they are often very long and are really 2 verses on 1 topic.

3. Think about how you can promote yourself as someone who is coachable. People will be much more likely to drop feedback on your pieces if they think you will listen and take it on board. I've personally noticed as well as getting into a conversation with people on your drop when they've commented has worked really well with the likes of Trizz and Kiki. Show you're listening and wanting to learn and understand the points they're making in a positive way and people will keep coming back.

You could also make posts on general board or wherever just asking for advice. Even a thread on Emcee Longue asking for feedback and/or coaching. I'm sure that would get a positive response.

4. Finally, easiest way to do it...comment on people's drops who you see give feedback. Returning feed something a lot of people do. If you are giving feedback on a drop notice who the others are feeding back and go and feed their work. Eventually you'll know who the people are who return the feed.

Or in other words, don't be like this guy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic