Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Magazine
    Posted: 10 September 2018 at 6:20am

The Magazine

A word from the commissioner

Picture the scene, dark skies, a cool in the air, and a stillness in the night. You think you hear a sound outside, so you inch cautiously towards the window and pull back the curtains. Then you see it. Fuck sakes, they’ve thrown up the bat signal again, but it’s past midnight and I have my glow-in-the-dark Batman pyjamas on…

That’s what it’s like getting a Skype from Sam-I-Am asking you to guest host the latest installment of his magazine madness. Do I have any idea what anyone has written? Not really. Do I care? Generally I’m past caring if I’m honest with you. But hey, I’ve got a new laptop so I might as well get to some keyboard bashing. It’s not like I’ve got 87 other things on my to-do list!

In all seriousness, like a prison guard on tower duty, I do watch over you bunch of lowlifes so it’s nice to see you’re trying to do something with the place. Sammy getting shit popping in the Open Mic (my spiritual home) and my man Nigs kicking off a dope topical concept. Shit, we’re even doing magazine articles again. What is this, 2016?!

That’s all from me, look out for each other guys…I think Zin has been experimented on by those guys in the Arkham Asylum. Not sure if he’s doing a method acting impersonation of Muhammed Ali or he really does think he’s the GOAT.  
Take care Gothamites. Oh what, this is for LA? Ah, fuck them, they’ll keep coming back no matter what. Take care of each other and enjoy the magazine! - Cuba

Beef Stew
By Concrete

Beef-O-Meter measurements for the last weeks = RED.

As we'all seen in the OM lately, hit pieces been flying left and right.

People got offended, feelings got battered, people got entertained, shots got fired, etc.

Its good to let it all out sometimes, right?

Not gonna writer a damn essay about it, just sum up some of the lines that peeps found quote worthy.

Bases on the respones I thus I present

LANDED SHOTS - Part 1

Suckas wonder "how'd this God tier troll became a mod?"

"he even banned Scotty in hopes of becoming the boss!"

-LP

Oversteppin' with no protection reaches was nice to see

Actin' as a victim like a regional crisis team

-Ill Scriptz

Illusions of graduer choosing doom die when facing it

Don't disrespect the hammer and nail relationship

-Doom

His ego too swoll and it needs a poke

I'll blow a hole thru his dome to release the smoke

-SELF

coming to complexity, Concrete's taking it to new places

crafting intricate lines, you can barely tie your shoe laces

-Con

Let him persevere just to be leavin' his will torn

LA been babyin' Self, we feedin' a stillborn

-Ill Scriptz

try to hide the fact im dope, concealing your needle marks

any hate gets rejected like foreigners with expired Visa cards

-LP

Circular motion so If my rotations right it tightens the hold on your throats

The nicest never biting orbit a sound clowns revolve around cuz I'm dope

Basically I'm saying whenever I go NUTS yall BOLT

-Doom

cant hack it, then play the battle field your made for

we dont salute soldiers afraid of their waged wars

you fake slore, i aint gotta prove shit to a board

imma samarai, that hates when shit sticks to my sword

-rhet

Envision I as the storm on the fourth night

Dat left em tryna survive like it's Fortnite

-SELF

these noob-swines thinking crude lines is the new wine

biting Sammy is a rude crime, you drunk on moonshine'

-Con

A spot in the I.C.U next to ILLy bitch

Thinking you can kill me, that’s silly Scripts

-Slip

You're like Durant when you hear criticism to take

Must be ambidextrous how you can switch at the plate

-Ill Scriptz

And when it's wartime

I'll leave his corpse fried like sum fuckin pork rinds

Then dine on his organs and his torn spine

-SELF

With a quick 1-2 you’d fall before the season starts

hit so hard when you black out you won’t see no stars

-LP

wandering in plain street, greeted with relentless silence

punches lack points, your bars literally senseless violence

-Con

To think slip slipped some shit in your drink.. tragic!

I do actually provide duality so altered egos

Die savage

I over give to this undertaker shit scripts must have magic

Like How he get dave to start the match in a casket??!!

-Doom

respect facts, you throw jabs but i never had a mark

your so fat, you can barely attach your avatar

-rhet

No more shine for his forced rhymes

He ain't wavy with the flow he the shoreline

-SELF

Self is an animal... bout to see how nice his pelt fits

Just wanted him to be selfless, now the site is SELF-less

-Ill Scriptz

all these sneak shots, covert peeps that got shit to say

in bitchy ways.. who the fuck is admin now, Trizzy Tre?

-Con

what the deal? coz i can tell you failed in ya tactics

called out iLL then made a post about sealin your casket

-rhet

Fall back get charred black like you attend Howard's classes

Since you always Ghost I know you just a Power actor

-Ill Scriptz

now you mastered a multie-string; "they should praise me"

writing like everybody else, since eminem went mainstream'

-Con

HOW THE FUCK IS YOUR TEETH ALL RAGGEDY LIKE THAT

IT TOOK YOU 3 FUCKING HOURS TO ACTUALLY WRITE THAT

-Neek

Who's your favorite?

A Thought

iLL Scriturez

Lyrical Assault goes through peaks and valleys. These highs and lows are similar to your favorite amusement park themed rollercoasters. However, the highs speed by in a blistering blur while the lows creep on sluggishly to an exhausting end.  Most of us are here dedicated to a dying hobby with no other motive to scribble pronouncements on a website. As endangered as this spare-time activity is, I believe we take comfort in sustaining the movement.  

What is the movement? I think it individualized. I don’t believe there is one clean cookie-cutter explanation to why we do what we do.

The movement that I am referring to is not the hip-hop culture. It’s not even the culture of the music industry. Though, I am to assume that this is why we recognized a passion for releasing our creative energy. The movement is that feeling. You know the one I am referring to. The inspired sensation that only lyricists can relate to. When you rely on your five senses to develop a narrative from nothing. This is something special that outsiders would never understand. Those people may be near and dear to us. They are family members, friends or colleagues that may or may not know of the talent you unrelentingly continue to polish.

But for what? It’s to satisfy that movement. Chasing that feeling of creating something so brilliant that no one else could appreciate as much as you do. We post on LA to receive feedback or to itch the scratch of satisfaction. It’s almost an addiction. We’re drawn to that elevated thought process that a commoner wouldn’t necessarily have. The love for like sounds and manipulating opposite concepts to imagine a view that is descriptively thought provoking. Others don’t understand the enjoyment we receive when you hear an unusual word and can instantly have a multi-syllable scheme to match it.

We’re unique.

We see things differently.

Place aside the heated repartees for a moment. None of us really hate each other outside of CHAIN and Dizzle. Even then, I’m sure it is love/hate. Okay, maybe Stalin hates Dizz. Forget all of that for a moment. None of us would be able to do what we do daily if we never had one another. Think back to when you first went into a search engine and searched for a rap forum. I didn’t even know what a forum was. Endless hours of searching and searching (back in ’03). We bounced from site to site and for some this has been the only site. We all, somehow, ended up here.

“…I believe we take comfort in sustaining the movement.”

It can be sort of misleading. One day we can try to log in and the site could be gone. As inactive as LA can be at times it feels deserted. Sure there are other sites out there to go and post on. I would argue that none are LA. I haven’t been on any sites (I’ve been on so many I’ve forgotten most of their names) in all this time I’ve been doing this that I’ve found to be like LA. The personalities, the talent and the connection that artists have here is like no other forum.  

I take comfort in knowing there is a place where like-minded people have a community. Who understand that this is a release that other people may not understand. I’d like to preserve that for as long as possible. I’m not naïve though. I know one day I won’t ever log into LA again and will never know how the lives of Self, Sammy, Cuba or Cheeseburger Eddie turn out. I have no idea when that day is but I want to believe that what I’ve created here at LA, somehow, made an impression. It’s kind of like going outside for the last time to play with your friends when you were a kid and not knowing that this is the last time. It’s kind of depressing but at the same time, you take comfort in knowing it was time well spent.

Open mic

OM has been burning lately. Not just the nature of the content but the activity and level of drops. Beef pieces aside, there were some very noteworthy pieces of the past few weeks! I was going to do a top 10 but damn there were too damn much! I know its a cop out but nah yo there were too many good ones. I mean when you have top writers dropping stuff like: raising lazarus, black lies matter 2 (i noticed it too haha), apeshit u know its a fire month! Keep’em coming, yall!

Cypher - cypher has been a bit more active than in recent time. Its still not the lyrical hub it was when i first started but its slowly gaining tractions. The more prominent cypher is the multi cypher and the diss. All crucial elements of text/topical writing and should be vistited if not hing else but to sharpen one’s repertoire, nahz mean? We’ve seen contributions not just from wack nerds like Sammy and Crimmy but heavy hitters as well. And shout to Skeletor for keeping quality and activity going ha.

Audio

Audio has been dormant recently but with the ongoing atmosphere at such dense state, spark was bound to happen. Slip went at iLL with pretty dope diss track that started off as a text diss. And the big homie Doom dropped a response to Dizz’s Black Lives Matter piece with his own thoughts on the matter. Overall, it was dope. Flame, who’s more known as a text head has shown that he can handle the mic just as well. As is Rap Daemon, who was also more of a written artist. Where chekk and LP at tho? Mission? Eddie?

Hot topics - In addition to the ongoings here on LA, the media is also in a deathlock with the current going ons in hip hop.

Mook vs Aye Verb - So this summer marked the long awaited return of Murder Mook, a cornerstone of modern day battlerap. Many regards him as GOAT. I don’t though. Me and Neek feel that Illmac is the top dog in the yard. But his performance at Rarebreed validated many critics assessment that he lacks a complete evolution as he forced out lots of reaches and his performance was aiken to mid 2000 battle rapping. But the result of the battle had the battle rap world in a feeling as those who defended him made their voices know and those who don’t continues to lay out their frustration ha. Honestly though,

1. Lux

2. Hollow

3. Neek

4. Mook

5. Illmac

Eminem vs the World

Kamikaze. Yeah, that’s the new buzz at the moment. Recognizing that his past effort was less than well recieved, Em put everything on the table and reminded the world of who Slim Shady was. He went at “haters” such as Joe buddens, Charlamagne, Lord Jamar, as well as the mumble rap culture. One target actually hit back:

MGK vs Eminem

If i’m following this correctly, i believe the nature of this fued was due to MGK calling Hailey hot?? Lmao. Anyways, It was a comment that had stewed in the heart of the Detroit native and finally released his wrath. MGK did not parry, but rather countered with a diss of his own. Reading multiple discussions on the perspective of this battle, i was quite enlightened by our own Rude’s assessment of the strategy…

I gotta agree w/ Neek and say most of these angles haven't been used

Also aside from that, Em's most notable disses were straight foward personals, there was no creativity or cleverly written bars with them either.

They were just hard hitting facts like this one :

"If you were really selling coke, then...

what the fuck you stop for dummy? If you slew some crack,

you''d make a lot more money than you do from rap."

the Ja's disses were basically just about him being a pill popping addict,

Fred Durst/Limp Bizkit disses were basically just saying they were bitches for not having his back against Everlast.

Everlast disses were just about him being broke and white and country.

Benzino disses were about him being old and chasing fame.

Canibus disses were about him being a fan who felt dissed.

JD disses were about him being short...

I mean they were dope at the time they dropped and were relevent to the artist he was dissing....

but none of them or anyone else for that matter has matched the caliber of what MGK did with this track.

He called Em out for being a hypocrite, and for trying to shut him down financially for commenting on one of Haylie's pictures on social media

then set Em up to take another L if he has his verse removed from a Yelawolf song... I mean I think the only other person who could come at

Em with this much personal damage is Royce (and while Royce absoultely destroyed D12, he never really went at Em full force directly)

I'm not sure if I'm ready to call this a bodybag, but it's definitely worth responding to and should Em

try to pretend like it's not worthy, then it becomes a bodybag.

At this point all I can say is - we got a battle.

EDIT : I took too long to respond to this convo lol

Who Am I Challenge

Shout out to the kid Dave for this event that garnered quite a bit of buzz and dialogue ha. I didn't realize my own personal style was so transparent as most of these motherfuckers caught on to it right away. One submission, which gave readers a hard time of pinpointint turned out to be Absolute Abomination which was absolutlely bullshit because the guy haven't been active in like months! haha! But good to have you back in the mix bro. Shout to Dj Flame for winning the challenge!

Weekly Writing Challenge

This is a weekly writing exercise where writers are task with writing to a topic using only 16 lines. So far its been a pretty active challenge and i hope it continues to do so. 

Forthnight Topical Surivor Series

This is an elimination style event where players challenge other players to knock them the fuck out of the game. Its run by Nigma so you know its worth checking out and joining. I'm not sure if he's still taking submission but if so, head over here and do the damn thing:

Fortnite Topical Survivor Series

Outro

werdamutha, i apologize for the very late drop and i blame no one but myself for the poor time management. But shout to the commissioner Cuba, iLL, Con, Rude, and everyone who helped out with the mag and thanks for the beefs and hate and love that gave us the material for this mag! Yall good people who pretend to be badass and i am thankful for that. Shout to illmac.  1.

Xces View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

I will reveal who everyone voted for in the magazine.

;) Thanks for all the hard work though. came out nice.
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:49am
Sammy the type to volunteer you for fanclubs you never agreed to. this shit looks wildly dope. ill re-read asap. but Sammy...you are hilarious my friend.
#Bananas
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 11:12am
Sammy Concrete iLL,thanks for this guys turned out to be a nice littleMonday
morning read here,i just want you guys to know i appreciate the time invested
doing this mag so again thanks to ya'll,and ILL i feel you caught LA's character
just right you observant mofo you,and Con with his round up of beefs just ripe.
peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 12:23pm
Nice collaborative magazine. Glad to see sammy actually submitting something for a collab.

Edit: by that I mean good job on the outro ya bum
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 1:14pm
Your battle top 5 is hatermade if you dont have Daylyt in it.
#Bananas

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Lord Puente Lord Puente wrote:

Nice collaborative magazine. Glad to see sammy actually submitting something for a collab.

Edit: by that I mean good job on the outro ya bum

lmao! that's foul, bro!

rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 3:54pm
its funny ending up in a magazine based on text/diss merits when im one of the least text battlin mofo's on the net lol 

but cool mag here fellas. thanks for dropping this everyone 
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 5:27pm
Dope mag, glad to contribute.

Charlie Clips HAS to be on that list.
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 5:38pm
Dope collaboration here guys, kinda gutted I didn’t contribute......Been real busy with life these last week or so

The whole thing was dope no doubt, but for me I gotta big up the brother Scriptz for his contribution, it really resonated with me, pretty much summed up exactly how I feel about LA and writing text in general

Well done all involved, it’s real analysis shit like this that drives the soul of our community

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by iLL ScriptureZ iLL ScriptureZ wrote:

Charlie Clips HAS to be on that list.

legit, when you realize Sammy is actually the best troll on LA, things get interesting.
#Bananas
SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:04pm
I watch URL, Lions Den, Rare Breeds, KOTD and all the small roone leagues. With that said, the undisputed king of battle rap will always be Blind Fury lol.

As for the mag.

Cuba made me crack a smile.
Sammy is always a gem
and my eyeballs got humid and started sweating a little while reading iLL's bittersweet soliloquy.

Good stuff, fellas. Good stuff indeed.
Rude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 2-2-0
Form: LWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:29pm
ayee dope mag guys

I'm not sure I can even narrow down to a battle rap top 5.

I'd want to add Mook and Lux on there for nostalgia, but they've both disappointed me recently and I can't let that slide when there's so many other battlers that are just as good.

I'd have to for sure include Illmac (who rarely let's me down) 
Hollow - again rarely ever a let down
Bigg K - the battle rap bully he started out kinda shakey in the proving grounds
but he hit the ground running after the Illmac battle (which to this day - still one of my favorites)
Dizaster - I used to HAAAATE his cadence and flow but once I caught onto his way of writing, he grew on me.
Chilla Jones - again I used to hate his forced wordplay, but when it hits and its not forced, it hits hard. I think he could have bodied my #1 pick Illmac if he had not been sick when they battled tbh. (that Mac into A Dell/Adele line was fire)

There are plenty of other guys I enjoy watching but they are hit or miss for me : 

Tay Roc
Conceited (when he battles outside of Wild'n Out now)
Charlie Clips
Daylyt
Iron Solomon
Thesaurus
Marv Won
Pat Stay
Charron
Fresco (the only reason this guy isn't top 5, is he doesnt battle enough)
etc the list goes on I could name 20-30 at least that I watch regularly. 
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Rude Rude wrote:

Bigg K - the battle rap bully he started out kinda shakey in the proving grounds
but he hit the ground running after the Illmac battle (which to this day - still one of my favorites)

Since Bigg K lost all that weight and looks like Tom Hanks in Castaway he's been trash

Originally posted by Rude Rude wrote:

Iron Solomon

Iron is still tough. Thesaurus is washed.
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by SELF ACTIVATE SELF ACTIVATE wrote:

and my eyeballs got humid and started sweating a little while reading iLL's bittersweet soliloquy.

yo no lie, that article by iLL was really thorough. I mustve read that shit like 7 times. Still powerful every single time. Props, iLLmatic!

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:55pm
what yall think of DNA? He seems to be overlooked on many rushmore rankings.

rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:59pm
*comes in, looks around*

i could murder them all if i wanted, but i dont stray too far from the comforts of my recliner and jelly bean bowl 

*quietly leaves*
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

Originally posted by SELF ACTIVATE SELF ACTIVATE wrote:

yo no lie, that article by iLL was really thorough. I mustve read that shit like 7 times. Still powerful every single time. Props, iLLmatic!

Appreciated. I'd be glad to write another next month.
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by rhetorical rhetorical wrote:

*comes in, looks around*

i could murder them all if i wanted, but i dont stray too far from the comforts of my recliner and jelly bean bowl 

*quietly leaves*

I love the new rhet. He in a hug free zone.
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:17pm
lmao! rhet the big homie. he gets a free pass here. If someone like Don or Hank come in doing that, i'd lay the mod gauntlet on them! Nobody disrespects illmac! Amiright, Neek? haha!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic