Open Mic: here we go

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ΔE(t) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ΔE(t) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: here we go
    Posted: 29 November 2018 at 7:04pm
First time I am sharing what I write publicly. I would love to hear your thoughts and any advice.

Here we go it rots-
I thought I had the power to stop
Here we go I'm caught, up in the drugs and my thoughts
Here is what I sought - to set aside the pain my psyche bought.
To crush this unrest and equalize the stress
I'm too distressed to digress-
I wish I could burn my chest with the smoke from the devils lettuce
Gain a new view from a higher perspective.
But here I stand an angel in hell or a demon in heaven
All I know is I don't belong and i'm unbalanced
On opposing sides of the spectrum but there's no malice
I seek to right my wrongs, I accept this challenge
I know I can manage the damage,
come out with the advantage
points are a bonus but sub is the finish
My life- I'm not ready to relinquish.
But that ain't always a choice.
sometimes the Earth reclaims your voice. No warning. into the void your foist.
So in every moment rejoice before life hands you the final invoice.
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 10:47am
Yeah i liked this piece here,endearing was it's message i thought,live for the
moment sort of vibe,it also came off as a quick read to due to the line lengths
that was pleasing on the eye,it also beefed up the flow of this OM too,the multis
word/syllables were nice and placed well within which made for a more natural
smoother read,it was cohesive too,the fact is there isn't many con's to pick up
on really either,i do feel more depth would of knocked this out the park so to type,
As you seemed to be skimming the surface of details,instead of plunging deep,
but as first drops go,this is impressive,you certainly know how to construct and
formulate a verse,i feel your progression is going to be a quick affair,stick around
and you'll elevate for sure..again nice read..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
ΔE(t) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ΔE(t) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:34pm
Thanks for the feedback Crimson, I really appreciate it. . A lot of the things I right skim the surface, I have a hard time going into depth about things, always comes out corny sounding.
Tru_Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tru_Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 9:00am
You don't always need to go super in depth especially if it is going to make the flow suffer, but on a piece like this it'd probably benefit from being a bit more intricate. 
with that said I did enjoy the read and the message, flow was on point mostly just a few spots where it seemed a bit stretched but like I've said before that's not a huge deal in a text drop as long as it's not super bad.

nice piece here, I'd like to see more from you definitely keep dropping publicly.
ΔE(t) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ΔE(t) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2018 at 7:13am
Thanks Tru, I appreciate the feedback. Do you have any advice on how to write with more intricacy?
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2018 at 9:19am
I've seen you drop several pieces in a short amount of time. Looking at the content I think you'd do best if you took a bit more time per piece. This allows you to really think out and envision what you want to write. This works better than rushing it out and ending with something which could be better and leaves questions unanswered.

I'm pretty much here to answer your question directed at Tru.

Here we go it rots-
I thought I had the power to stop
Here we go I'm caught, up in the drugs and my thoughts
Here is what I sought - to set aside the pain my psyche bought.

The first two lines are really good. It sets the right tone and raises an eyebrow. The two lines after it, not so very much. I think it would work better in this formatting:

Here we go, it rots. I thought I had the power to stop
I'm caught... Trapped between the drugs and my thoughts
Here is what I sought, to set aside the pain my psyche brought

It flows better and even though caught and trapped are pretty much the same thing. One is a statement and the second is an explanation. The line I bolded out is one I would consider rewriting. When writing a line look at it like a critic would. In this case the questions I'd like you to answer are 1) What are you seeking, 2) how does it help you against the pain and 3) what pain are we talking about?
Looking at the rest of the verse the cause of your pain isn't really explained or even briefly touched upon

To crush this unrest and equalize the stress
I'm too distressed to digress-
I wish I could burn my chest with the smoke from the devils lettuce
Gain a new view from a higher perspective.
But here I stand an angel in hell or a demon in heaven

My questions before apply here still. What unrest? I would also consider omitting this line: I'm too distressed to digress. If you won't digress in the why you are feeling like you're feeling, why share at all?

The devils lettuce line, while okay, is a bit forced. No one really calls weed that anymore and it's really used carry the rhyme. The last two lines (perspective / demon in heaven) I liked a lot! Dope metaphor.

All I know is I don't belong and i'm unbalanced
On opposing sides of the spectrum but there's no malice
I seek to right my wrongs, I accept this challenge
I know I can manage the damage,
come out with the advantage [quote]

First line is okay, ties in greatly with the stanza prior. Second line I disliked. I'd consider changing it completely or at the very least formatting it like this:

All I know is that I don't belong but I'm callous
No malice, on opposing sides of the spectrum I balance

Rhyme goes up, flows does too. Issa win-win. The challenge line was okay as well, bit bare bones but it said what you wanted to say. The last two lines were no bien. Like, it sort of ties in the verse but they're pretty empty statements.

[quote]
points are a bonus but sub is the finish
My life- I'm not ready to relinquish.
But that ain't always a choice.
sometimes the Earth reclaims your voice. No warning. into the void your foist.
So in every moment rejoice before life hands you the final invoice.

First line... ehhhhhh is a stretch. Consider rewriting that or taking it out. The lines after it, while the meaning is dope, the execution is less dope. At first glance it looks deep but when you read into it, it's more an attempt at sounding metaphorical without having the oomph.

All in all this verse, technical wise, has some goods but mostly bads. But that's okay. This is how we learn. I suggest you look at the top tier writers here like Self Activate, Neek, Sammy, Chain, Nigma, Stalin etc and look how they structure their verses. They're all written in patterns. Some more complex than others. Also consider reading this: A Manual as I think this would really help you elevate.

Pro free tip from me. Always try writing to beats. Even if the flow is basic, you'll have flow.
#Bananas

Absolute Abomination View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 3-3-0
Form: LLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Absolute Abomination Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2018 at 11:54am
i fucked with the first few bars heavy, up until 'devils lettuce'. you lose me on your flow after that. 

i see what you were going for with linking it to angels and demons, as well as the imagery you used to describe someone who feels lost/out of place, but just some word choices made it feel off.

I feel like you wrote every line refusing to go back to the previous and change it. Like, 

"all i know is i dont belong and im unbalanced
on opposing sides (what should i write..??) of the spectrum (what should i write..??) but there's (what rhymes with balance..??) no malice"

best advice i have for improving the overall body of your work (not the content, just how its written) is revising every line multiple times. you may love a line and really wanna use it, but it may not be appropriate for the particular piece you're posting. save it for another time, or find a different way to work it in.

exact same thoughts for "manage the damage//come out with the advantage" and "sub is the finish//...ready to relinquish"

last couple lines were dope, again except for one poor word choice "final invoice". even if it works (using 'final' at the end of your drop) it just sounds weird, yknow? 

since its your first piece you've made public, i assume you write a lot but don't get feedback. you will naturally improve if you genuinely put critical feedback into your writing.

you may completely disagree and that's fine, just hope it helps you achieve a higher level.

solid job.
Show me a fortress and I'll show you a ruin.
ΔE(t) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ΔE(t) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 7:37am
Endeavor, thank you for taking the time to critique my writing without holding back. That's way cool you took the time to break that down for me.
I think I see what you're saying with the explanation vs statements. I like that. I have gotten a few suggestions to go more in depth and spend more time with the concept before calling it finished which is solid criticism but I think the questions you brought to my attention will help with that a lot.
The revisions you suggested are also a lot more straight to the point, typically when I write like that and read it back to myself it always seemed like the dots weren't connected, like everything had to be a full sentence. I will try out your suggestions for sure though.

I will read the manual again, maybe reading it with beats on will help me understand it more.
Are there any other suggestions on how to write to a beat? When I try I feel like I can either hear the beat or the words but putting them together is like patting my head and rubbing my belly. Maybe I just need more practice tho.

I have been checking out a lot of Self Active's stuff. I like his and Crimson's style a lot. I will definitely try to keep learning from all you guys.

Thanks again man.

Edited by ΔE(t) - 15 December 2018 at 7:50am
ΔE(t) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ΔE(t) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 7:49am
Absolute Abomination, I appreciate your feedback a lot too. I feel like you got what I was trying to say which is cool and you're close on my process haha. I don't like going back and changing lines so that sounds like pretty good advice to keep revising each line. My only question there would be when do you just let it be? I might get this answer after some more practice though.
Good to know it reads l like I keep looking for rhyming words instead of having an idea of the concept. This lack of development is reoccurring feedback so I should heed that.
I do not know what you mean with final being weird to put at the end of a drop, if you could tell me why that'd be cool haha.
I do write a ton, its like journaling for me and this style is how it comes out. Which is why no one sees it but I want to have more fun with it, get better and learn how to rap which is why I am here.
I will definitely take what you said into account. Thanks!
Absolute Abomination View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 3-3-0
Form: LLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Absolute Abomination Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 8:05am
sorry i worded it poorly, i meant the phrase "final invoice" was a bad rhyme to end on. No problem with the word it just felt really weird to the flow of the rhyme scheme. I think 'final' is one word too many and it sounds off (the imaginary) beat to me. Count the syllables, you're getting further and further from the starting count.

e.g. 
But (1) that (2) aint (3) al-ways (4-5) a (6) choice (7)
Some-times (1-2) the earth reclaims (3-6) your (7) voice (8)
No warning (1-3), into the void (4-7) you're (8) foist (9)
So in every (1-4) moment re (6-8) joice (9)
before life hands (1-4) you the final (5-8) in (9) voice (10)

im a little bit OTT with it I think when analysing pieces but you're basically extending the length of each line to reach the same rhyme sound, the other rhyming patterns didn't have this issue. Legit just taking a word or two out may make it sound [flow] better.

In regards to rewriting and letting it be, just write until you're happy with it. I've found that giving some time before writing and posting allows you to see it from another angle. Like, I find it easier to analyze someone elses work over my own. You come back to it and think "wow that line sucked what was i thinking?" and write something better.  That being said, I'm impatient as fuck and barely do this. Just something I know helps me whenever I do it.
Show me a fortress and I'll show you a ruin.
ΔE(t) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ΔE(t) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 8:42am
That's dope. Never counted it like that either. Makes sense, find the pattern, find the flow. I'll put some more consideration into my next drop.

Thanks man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic