Author
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where are we all at?.
    Posted: 23 August 2019 at 1:31pm
Well I know that here at LA especially in the last couple of yrs has its dry patches, but damn this
recent drought I'm finding alarming, we need to come up with a plan anyone got any suggestions?
A Abomination had a few good ideas recently, but we need to pool are heads together and find a
remedy, holla back..peace
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 95-24-5
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2019 at 3:15pm
Need a tourney or something... here in the states it’s summer to so maybe in the fall it will pick back up. I’ll be back here soon more active
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
Absolute Abomination View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 3-3-0
Form: LLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Absolute Abomination Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2019 at 6:08pm
i got no more ideas and dunno if anyone here is capable of implementing what I suggested...or got the time/interest to do so. i do think they'll help modernise the site and bring in new traffic.

IDK how paying to be higher on google searches works but hell im sure we can all spare a few bucks each month (again i got NO CLUE how that side of things works)

ill def hop in a tourny though. i was considering posting something like the Word Drop challenge we had runnin' earlier this year/late last year (dont remember when) but i got nothing to offer as a prize.
Show me a fortress and I'll show you a ruin.
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 2:28pm
Unless anyone has ideas that would bring new, fresh people that had a decent mind, can write, and actually participate including feedback and voting then this hobby will eventually die out completely across all of the sites.

And if I am being entirely honest with that is what will happen. There isn’t any newly sparked interest in writing text, topicals, lyrics or posting audio battles and tracks on forums. 99% of the people on all the sites are people that have been doing for quite some time and many of them still haven’t improved much since the first time they wrote. Some going back 10-15 years ago from old sites that are completely gone already. It’s the same people battling over and over again, the same people complaining about votes or giving the same feedback in a different aspect over and over again.

And here at LA pretty much any attempt will have to be done with what we have now on the forum. We can’t expect Scotty to make any changes or upgrades and I don’t blame him with the state of the site.

Most of the talent here on la has also disappeared in life and it had been run over by annoyances.
Go my Minions!

Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 5:03pm
Need young kids from those Facebook and Twitter sites to get into this shit.

Oh yeah hi law!
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
DjFlame2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-0-0
Form: W
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DjFlame2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 5:34pm
I think there's a future in audio, where there isn't really one in text. There's a market for people looking to get feedback on beats and their rapping skills, but there isn't much of one for writing out bars. 

It sucks but text has been dead since like 2014. Glad I caught the end of it.
Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 5:55pm
Last winter I went on those face book pages and promoted the other sites.. they got active then due to mods ghosting they all left.

If this site did some promotions and had something that made ppl want to be here.. there you go. But it’s dead here

It will take all of us to be active for a bit and I know everyone is mad busy with real life shit this time of year.
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
AntiAll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AntiAll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 9:09pm
This is Titu. Can't get back to my account. Maybe Somebody can help me recover it?

Text is dead. Let's accept that and we can go from there. We really need something that looks less like a text forums (since they are dying) and evolve in terms of design. I have few suggestions and if implemented properly, I can assure you this thing will resurrect. 

First we need to update the site design and make it more interactive. Nobody likes to sit on a site that looks like windows 98 running on an old IBM. It's not that hard, im sure we have people who can code and shit. If not, simply hire someone off fiver and boom. In 100 bucks, we can have something more 2019ish.

Fuck Yall- Say what you want to say. "beefs" and bickering brought in a lot of activity. I agree that it's better to have less activity than shit activity but all that bickering Brought in people that used to vote, post OMs and all. I know I dont like that shit but let's not forget, most of the people who actually have the time to sit on this site all day and contribute in positive or negative way are teenage boys and girls. They like bickering and back and fourth BS. So give them what they want. I think banning of fuck yall really took a lot away from the site. 

Promotion: I am a digital marketer and I know this aspect can make ot break a project. Right promotion can bring in tons of traffic that can be actually be translated into money to help fund the tourneys and other parts of the website. We can do Facebook marketing, Google marketing, Instagram influencers and all. 

Chatrooms: that lagbox was replaced by tinychat. Not enough. We need an interactive integrated chat room where we can host audio battles and help people interact with each other in real time. 

Feedback/votes on OMs and Battles: 90% of the inactivity in OMs and battles section is due to people not wanting to write piles of words. What if we also put in an option of audio votes and feedback. Just like WhatsApp. A simple one click record and post shit. I think it will help the site massively. 

I have tons of other feedback but all of the above will take time, motivation and money. But I genuenly beleive we can really make the site attract tons of traffic and activity if we implement the above. If somebody is interested in really executing and helping the site, im willing to put in my time and maybe some money too. I have mad respect for people I got to know because of LA and I am willing to help just because of the nostalgic value if not anything else. 

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 7:38pm
Disagree that "text is dead" - how many people still post & engage on Facebook in the written format? That's what that whole platform is built on - even when people post in video format, the comments are in written format. Many, many posts on Instagram are a photo with a long form written comment. 

The written word will never die & will always be consumed. Same as the spoken word will never die & always be consumed. Clearly, it will adapt & the formats will mould together. How many videos do you consume on Facebook without listening to the audio & reading the written words? How many videos have you watched on YouTube where there wasn't actually a video, it was sound & written words over the top?

Battling in the format on these sites, outside of tournament form is dead...but it was ultimately never well suited to the "drop & vote" format. Battling has always been better consumed as close to the "live" format as possible. In other words, it was better in the MSN chatroom days and it's better on Facebook and Twitter than it would ever be on a board format. 

We shouldn't try to do something someone else can do better & try to compete at something we aren't geared to compete with. These kids want instant gratification...you think anyone is ever going to get that from here? They won't even vote because it takes too much time & honestly, I think they have that right in many ways. It is not worth the time or effort. 

If places like this want to survive then they need to do 1 of 2 things:
1. Find a new niche within the current environment. 
2. Accept the world will move on & focus on better serving the people who enjoy coming onto these boards as a hobby.

Effectively when me/Law/Art and the rest of the guys were in charge we were doing strategy 2. We successfully attracted & retained a whole bunch of people who were on other sites at the time & made the place as active as it had been in a very long time. We didn't try to be something we aren't, we simply executed good ideas very well & were brave enough to try new things. Some of them worked amazingly well, some of them bombed. If you don't try things & aren't prepared for them to fail then you are left with nothing at all. 

The point is, this place is dead because those of us who got enjoyment out of making the place what it was either got bored or moved onto other things in our lives. There was a moment when it could've been taken to the next level but the stars weren't aligned at that time. Our attempts to create an effective succession plan didn't work. That's fine. People still go onto Discord, and they go onto other sites and enjoy themselves. For me the fraternity is way more important and valuable than the URL.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 8:44pm
Point taken, but I don't feel like giving up, I have a passion for LA, silly maybe, but I'm a creature
loyalty that's my downfall, I don't want it to be a place where the alias are many and you don't get
to know them as such because there's so many, i want to retain and gather up member's we have
already,that's where I'm at, I always tried to keep new members by feeding/voting, i didn't do it for
credit,but I still have that zest within, I'm just stumped with how and when...peace.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 8:54pm
ps... and what and who would help...peace.
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 1:22pm
every site is dying. 

no site is growing. 

people may shift over from one site to the next, but this happens in cycles . . . 

this site is dead, ill go there, that site is dying, ill move here. but for the most part, its the same cast of characters. same people battling, writing, dissing etc.... in all honesty, the chore of writing, replying, voting etc.  is just too much work when you have sites like discord where everything is INSTANT and in real time. . . the format that these kind of sites are based on is getting swallowed up by that. 

AntiAll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AntiAll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 5:57pm
Point taken. Let me rephrase it.
What I meant was, text alone can not survive. And since the site looks old, it adds to the fact that people get bored quick. Facebook and other social media platforms can not be compared with forums because they are interactive sites which has a lot going on. Do you think Facebook would be Facebook if it had only text? I beleive being less interactive had a lot of contribution in demise of orkut.
We can agree or disagree on many things but one thing I think everyone agrees on is the way LA looks. Making it more interactive won't hurt anyone. Let's do that and see where it goes?
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by The Law The Law wrote:

And here at LA pretty much any attempt will have to be done with what we have now on the forum. We can’t expect Scotty to make any changes or upgrades and I don’t blame him with the state of the site.
Go my Minions!

Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by AntiAll AntiAll wrote:

This is Titu. Can't get back to my account. Maybe Somebody can help me recover it?

Pm sent
+Sick-Witted+
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 10:08pm
@Law... the reading skills are real

@Crimbo.. I could tell you what I think but ultimately if you want to do it you gotta try shit, fail, learn from it, and try other shit until it works. You gotta be able to critically evaluate why you think what you tried didn't work and adjust what you do.

That approach is what will ultimately yield results. Me telling you WHAT to do won't work.
AntiAll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AntiAll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Stalin Stalin wrote:

Originally posted by AntiAll AntiAll wrote:

Pm sent

Where? 
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

@Law... the reading skills are real

I know. We have more Harvard graduates at LA than any other forum.  

Go my Minions!

Point Blank View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 92-27-5
Form: WWNWWN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Point Blank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 10:53pm
I agree with the above in regards to people these days just seeking instant gratification. In this day and age the virtual world is just as fast-paced as the real world, meaning an old-fashioned forum like this one (and many others for that matter) are pretty much doomed, and are just not going to attract new members without having anything more to offer than just solid masses of text. I don't speak for all of them of course, but the majority of the younger generation are addicted to real-time social media and are all about that instant like or retweet, and probably do not see the appeal of investing time into something like learning how to rap battle, writing verses regularly or immersing themselves into an online hip-hop community. Forums only seem to do well if they have a sizeable and active community who engage about current affairs (think thestudentroom, for example).

I may be wrong, but I also think the lack of engagement is due to people accessing the internet mainly from their phones and tablets, which are a lot less forum-friendly than a browser on a computer or laptop. It's easy just to scroll through things on your phone without feeling the need to make any sort of contribution that requires more effort than something like dropping a comment on a photo. Think back to when sites like this where at their peak circa mid 00's - we'd all be on computers or laptops truly investing time into writing and interacting with eachother without the distraction of notifications from a multitude of different apps updating us with real-time shit. Plus we'd make time for eachother on MSN messenger which helped encourage engagement with the forum. Unless there is a major paradigm shift that changes the way that we attract new members and keep the current ones interested, then this site will continue to be stuck in a rut.

Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 11:07pm
@point blank.

That's a solid point there, with the emphasis being on 'young', but like Law
has stated we ant expect that sort of effort from Scotty, yet, i think in the
short term its about viability, and that means activity, then with enough
encouragement we could then approach Scotty, maybe..peace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic