Author
King Jehu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Crew: Renegades

Text Rank: #4
Stats: 54-18-1
Form: WLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Idea
    Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:16pm
I've been working on some new, different shit. This instrumental is kinda old, kinda new. I did all the chords and synths a long time ago then did the bass and drums this week.

I need some feedback, because I don't even know what to call it.
Insert something rappy here
SwordedStylez View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 3-0-1
Form: WWWN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SwordedStylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:24pm
feeding as I listen, synth lick is nice, not overpowering, whole thing is musically sound, no discord in the harmonies which seems rare these days. I find the clap/snare a little overpowering if I was gonna spit to it, you got it multi-tracked and panned hard to each side? seems a bit much. Hats rhythm is tight and keeps the beat flowing dispite the fairly repetitive kick/snare pattern. Only other criticism is turn that bass up man, can barely hear it through my monitors, not sure if that's the mixing or maybe you might need a little compression on your bass track to give it more "oomph" as it were. All in all if the clap was less overpowering and the bass was upped a little this is right up my alley, easy to free to, would be dope to spit to and plenty of room for a nice hook to be placed. As a WIP it's dope as hell, as a finished product it needs work production-end. One
Music

Ink - Always remembered, never forgotten (as a fake as fuck piece of shit who tried to steal 2 persona's)
Manc View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 82-4-2
Form: WWWWNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Manc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:25pm
I like it!
No idea what you can call it but I could write suttin tight over that.
Dunno if it's this shitty pc I'm checkin it on but it sounds like the kick is a clap sort of sound effect so you could base it around that as far as content and titling goes.
The synth effects sound like suttin but I can't quite put my finger on it - but for some reason I'm thinking old Mario Bros game Confused
It's nice though - I had no idea you write music too. Good job though.

King Jehu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:11am
Thanks guys. Sworded, there are two claps on the snare track. It's stereo, but I can make it more narrow and lower it. I did the beat on my headphones while watching TV, so it's not mixed right. I gave it a listen on my surround system and lowered the bass because it was booming, but it hasn't even been compressed yet. Just realized that the bass boost subwoofer was on.

Manc, there are two kick sounds. One of them is an 808 type sound to give it more balls and there's a deep clap sound to make it stand out more, which makes it work well with the other claps.
SwordedStylez View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 3-0-1
Form: WWWN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SwordedStylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:19am
Ah the woofer would explain it, i've done the exact same thing myself plenty of times, great when played through another high-bass system but nearly non-existant for production/mastering purposes. I reckon the clap would prolly be less overwhelming if there was less widening for sure.  I really liked the kick sound actually, as you say, works nicely with the clapped snare and i thin it blends beautifully with the funky hats you got going on.  Having re-listened i think that at times it also seems a little thin with the synth carrying the tune solo, the chords give it plenty of warmth so it might just need an fx send from the synth with maybe some saturation and reverb at low volumes just to beef it up a little, all in all though it's a nice lil beat, not in the league of your rockier stuff musically, but I know you already know that ;)
Music

Ink - Always remembered, never forgotten (as a fake as fuck piece of shit who tried to steal 2 persona's)
Manc View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 82-4-2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Manc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:23am
Yea the deep clap sound works nicely with the rest. Nice track. You gonna be putting audio on it at some point I take it? Wouldn't mind having a listen when you do
-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Text Rank: #1
Stats: 90-4-1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:49am
The synth lick is seriously sick... like that's a hit right there. For that alone you can't let this beat go to waste... it needs to be ripped

I agree about the bass as Tegro said, but you're on the case with that, so . . . cool

Love the drum kit but me being me, I'd make the pattern a little different, probably with a bit more playing around with the hats (not that the hats are bad)... I just have that impulse when it comes to drums... I'd almost limit the use of the kick and snare here (because they are powerful when put up against the synth) but increase use of hats (and not necessarily just the one hat...mix in a rim or a click or whatever the fuck might work... I'd play around with it).

I really like it though. It's almost like you've found your niche with hip hop -- you've done a bit of everything but most of the best stuff you've done in the past two or three years has been soulful and synthy... it's getting close to a signature sound

I listened to some of our old shit the other day... we should really still be doin' this shit. Glad you still get around to it occasionally at least
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
mcwoods View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: XFade: Phoenix

Stats: 42-51-0
Form: LLLLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mcwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 1:17am
Yeah awesome. Can't add too much on the technical side, it sounded good. Maybe bump up the bass like SS said. Drums and hats sounded good too me. Kinda gave me the feeling of 'i believe i can fly' 

Any words on how you made the synth, melody, synth lick? Did you play the instrument yourself? What's the studio / recording set up etc. 

King Jehu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 2:59am
Thanks O. I thought about taking out some of the overpowering extra kicks and adding some more hi hat rolls, but my drum pads are at work, and I want the velocities to be natural and humanized, so I'll do that this weekend maybe.

Woods, I used two layered synths for the chords and I played those on a midi keyboard. The lead synth was also done on that keyboard. The drums were done on the M-Audio Trigger Finger using Battery 3. The bass was a Minimoog synth. In the hook section, when the chord pattern changes, there was a simple synth with a delay. I sequenced this by hand (well, on a mouse, cause I can't hold digital ones and zeroes). Everything was done within Logic Studio 9.
$n00z View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: The Dynasty

Stats: 11-7-0
Form: WWLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote $n00z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 9:10pm
Listening to it as I type. Its ill as hell! Dat fa sho. I like that bridge you got in there. Its something that'd def work in the industry. Lovin it . I think the kick is ok. Jus needs a lil somethin to offset it like a lil more closed hat action. I think the open hats are perfect where they are. Thumbs Up

Edited by $n00z - 25 August 2010 at 9:12pm
U already know...
J504 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Stats: 25-0-0
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2010 at 5:19am
Just checked this and I really like it for the most part. I think the synth works perfectly until it goes into the long feel... The synth starts off sounding like old school Cali style hip hop , when it goes into that feel the synth starts sounding kinda wonky-sounding...know what I mean? I just changes the vibe of the song to me. I think if you simplified it and just kept the basic riff in it, you got something good to spit on.

Definitely good shit though, King! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic