Open Mic: Memory Lane(topical battle verse)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Alter Egos

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 14-33-0
Form: LLLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory Lane(topical battle verse)
    Posted: 13 June 2016 at 10:17pm
Memory Lane

I really should of stayed home, why'd i have to go 
today of all days, i had to travel down this road

chill in my bones heart in my throat feeling alone with no sense of hope
sick from the dope at the end of my rope owned by the opioid's fuelled by the coke

out of my mind trying to cope with these lines
poppin pills to forget but still it reminds

i should know better than this i know what it does, losing someone i love still isn't enough
it was her birthday today and im still doing drugs slowly killing my self while i escape threw a buzz

so hard to believe Vanessa is gone, wrong place bad timing 
i still see her body surrounded by light like a silver lining

higher than the mountains both lying on our backs staring at the clouds lid back in the grass
memories flash as i swig from the flask remembering the lipstick from her lips on the rim of a glass

and her ass in those jeans that use to fit her so nice ,Vanessa my angel the love of my life 
who's no longer with us after that night when the overdose came she paid the ultimate price

we both fell asleep in a field full of dreams 
but only my eyes opened to the morning sun beams

she stayed and i left shes there and im not
now my life is a nightmare im wishing would stop

but over again it replays in my head
the image was horrid her lying there dead

as i cried and i wept over her cold body
unforgettably painful the weight is still on me

i will carry it forever until we meet again, its bin five long years im unable to mend 
my broken heart my weakened soul i need it to end, getting high trying to die to be with my friend

travelling down memory lane a road that i dread, why'd i have to go and say what i said
reminding myself i wish i was dead i put a knife to my neck and utter a threat

oh why'd i have to witness such a horrible death ,pray to god i wake up dead
 finish off the booze and a bottle of meds, cry myself to sleep alone in my bed
ILL Natured View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILL Natured Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 11:32pm
This was a good read.Damn.The highlight of the whole piece is the flow of the story..although the actual flow fell off at times the story was consistent and pure.
"My favorite lines were:it was her birthday today and im still doing drugs slowly killing my self while i escape threw a buzz"
This same up the thoughts throughout the verse and all of the thoughts in your head during this time..Great work well done
mjbloodshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjbloodshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 11:48am
That was Hella deep I liked it alot
4gettable Lame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4gettable Lame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 2:51pm
this hit home for me,...
the opioid epidemic is a huge problem every where!,...
like Everybody knows someone who has a problem!,...
pills,dope,dead its a cycle and its a sad one smdh!,...
lyrically the piece is nice flow was spottish at first,...
though after awhile as a reader i picked up on the pattern,...
then it made sense!,...
as far as flow wise i mean,...
the emotion of this is is what really stood out,...
like i really felt this,...
as i said the story hit home,...
gosh man whyd u have to go and,...
make a dude get misty eyed and ish,...
great read here!,...

rereading!

Storm $hadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-4-0
Form: LLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Storm $hadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 3:46pm
This was good. From my own perspective, it was the Imagery that took it to a new level. I saw how you were trying to create an image of how hot she looks, how you guys would stay in the field together, etc. You tried but it felt weird to me(LOL), can't tell why. Maybe i'm used to the slip with punches and self-hype verses.

However, you could have been more descriptive and detailed with the imagery considering how you took the aspect. Like painting an image of the environment, a 4-6 bars dedicated to what you both were doing while on the grass(expression on both faces like giggle and laughing or doing drugs with a hard face. Whichever way you play your love). Also, this doesn't stir up the deep, intense, sad emotional that you lost someone very dear to you. Love your starter, it connects with the content and the title in the sense that you're travelling through a lane which is in the mind.

Good one
Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 10:01pm
thanks for the feedback boyz
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 7:18am
Slip I'll post feedback when i through with work..peace bro.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 4:53pm
I know I voted in this in the battle section,but I did from a battle
point of view,so now the feed..

I really should of stayed home, why'd i have to go
sick from the dope at the end of my rope owned by the opioid's fuelled by the coke
i should know better than this i know what it does, losing someone i love still isn't enough
it was her birthday today and im still doing drugs slowly killing my self while i escape threw a buzz
higher than the mountains both lying on our backs staring at the clouds lid back in the grass
memories flash as i swig from the flask remembering the lipstick from her lips on the rim of a glass

(the first thing that springs out in this segment is the detail,then
followed by the tempo,the detail such as these lines here,

"chill in my bones heart in my throat feeling alone with no sense of hope
sick from the dope at the end of my rope owned by the opioid's fuelled by the coke"

"higher than the mountains both lying on our backs staring at the clouds lid back in the grass
memories flash as i swig from the flask remembering the lipstick from her lips on the rim of a glass"

now to the tempo in the part made for easy reading,plus you wording
choice was decent too,feeling it for sure..)

and her ass in those jeans that use to fit her so nice ,Vanessa my angel the love of my life
who's no longer with us after that night when the overdose came she paid the ultimate price
we both fell asleep in a field full of dreams
i will carry it forever until we meet again, its bin five long years im unable to mend
my broken heart my weakened soul i need it to end, getting high trying to die to be with my friend
travelling down memory lane a road that i dread, why'd i have to go and say what i said

(in this segement the despaire in grief is the highlight,hitting the
booze and drugs to ease and block the pain,whilst all the while he's
fueling the grievien process and delaying the acceptance of he's loss,
the details make it a tragic read,which is why in the battle I voted for
this verse..)

Overal a Ripe read,nicely littered with detail and references to grief,
I liked it,the story progressed well,and the tempo carried it along at
a nice pace,enjoyable read and good work..peace.

"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 6:44pm
Gimme a few hours, Slip. Slept on feeding this too long.
Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 3:25pm
thanks for the feed again crim , and endeeze better wake up lol
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 9:28am
OK AT LONG LAST... Those few hours resulted in two days, lmfao

Quote I really should of stayed home, why'd i have to go 

I had a few issues with the flow here but I do love the wording. It's simple, effective and heartfelt. I especially love the transition from the second bar into the third and fourth. It has a nice bounce to it due to the assonance. Great stuff. I also like that you gave the lover a name. It's often forgotten or referred to as "her". That's what I do most of the time, bad habit I guess.

Quote higher than the mountains both lying on our backs staring at the clouds lid back in the grass

Alright, flow for me is pretty off here but I do like the imagery used. The bolded part is by far my favorite. It's such a small section in the entire verse but it makes everything so believable. AND I can see it in front of me. That, people, is how you write topicals. Detail!

Quote we both fell asleep in a field full of dreams 

Here I didn't like the bolded part. Not because it's bad but it doesn't translate well in the rest of the piece because of the redundancy. The section that follows after it already portrays a nightmare, so try to keep that out for the next time. The last line is mad dope, though.

Quote i will carry it forever until we meet again, its bin five long years im unable to mend 

Yeah.... I like this. I even sensed a slight piece of conflict here. Is the person shocked because he witnessed a death you wouldn't wish to anyone or because his lover died? Or maybe both? Real nice. It adds a layer of depth. I love the bolded line! Reminds me of that Hollohan track he wrote for his friend Bruce B. If you don't know it, listen to it. It's really dope (link below). I liked the closer but it would've been REALLY dope if you changed "cry myself to sleep" to "cry myself to death". Yeah... That'd be cool.

All in all, it's a pretty dope verse with some issues regarding flow (at least to my end). Usually I'd complain because it's a bit on the basic side, technical wise, but you did have some excellent metaphors and in this case the basicness actually made it better. If I were to write something like this I'd probably go on an abstract route and probably take away from the effectiveness that this topic has. Emotion. So you did really well here.

Link to the Hollohan song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHAf39N0VdA
Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 12:13pm
thanks for the long awaited detailed feed back,i think my topical skills are growing with each verse i write i really enjoy doing them,and yeah ive seen that viodeo a few times im a big fan of hollohan,,ive actually partied with pat stay ,quake and ghetto child on George Street, St Johns Newfoundland good times
if you dont know who Quake is he's dope as fuck to there all from Nova Scotia 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF7Z1P1wVcE   ,,link to Quake 
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 12:27pm
Oh, that's awesome. Wasn't aware that you're from Canada. Join KOTD and rip emcees a new butthole, lol. I'ma listen to that track right now. 

EDIT: Damn, can't listen to the track. Retarded German youtube blocking that shit. I'll listen to it when I get home.

Edited by Endeavor - 21 June 2016 at 12:39pm
Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 1:07pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4dqcfJ1uhU

thats his newest video
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Crew: Elision

Stats: 41-7-5
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 3:05am
Slip I'm really feeling this drop dude.  You came with emotion and your flow was on point.  this one section was pretty flawless

"should know better than this i know what it does, losing someone i love still isn't enough

memories flash as i swig from the flask remembering the lipstick from her lips on the rim of a glass"----this whole section was very well written.  Flow was on point used the multiez well and the emotion in this was really obvious.  Great work rite here.

"and her ass in those jeans that use to fit her so nice ,Vanessa my angel the love of my life 
who's no longer with us after that night when the overdose came she paid the ultimate price"--some strong shit rite here man..I'm impressed.  Your last 3 ending bars were powerful.  You painted a cray emotional picture in my head.  This was some great writing.  Good shit on this piece homie..I can't wait to see what you post next

Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 3:36pm
thanks for the feed exo maybe if we can come up with a dope topic we can duke it out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic