Author
Rude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 2-2-0
Form: LWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phoenix Rising
    Posted: 17 September 2016 at 3:04am
So this was for the Crewsades Topical battle
(Ressurecting into someone or something else)

PHOENIX RISING

Egypt - 2499 B.C.
After years of being born into servitude, Thamphthis, a young practitioner of the occult arts
summons the Bennu to assist him in assuming the throne to be Egypt's new Pharaoh.

You dare to summon me?? Nascent as can be, young agent of deceit?
so patient and naive, yet trenchant in technique...your vagrance has intrigued
Oh! the tasks you can achieve! ask of what you need?(**) Your placement is decreed.
before you assume the throne know, the vacancy is teased until payment is received..

(**) - Thamphthis - "I wish to be Pharaoh of all of Egypt."
Thamphthis did not need Bennu's warning and usurped the throne anyway..

Fool! my magic is ancient and unique, you dare to test me in lieu of changes that you seek?
but your punishment ..will be latent and reprieved, for now, enjoy the nation at your feet
soon you'll be blatantly deceased, the pages of history, your name escapes from every sheet
your throne before an heir, left vacant to be seized, and only strangers will compete..

the moral is, to summon and cross me...is a mortal sin, you could die
as the sun touches my obelisk, I transform  from Bennu to Ra

Almost 2000 years later... Greece - circa 500 B.C.

I was reborn in the western lands with plumage of gold
Still aligned with the Sun Gods, of new and of old.
The cycle of life and death is such a nuisance, I know.
But my power is in my history, which humans control.
Time is of no essence, so I choose to behold,
The prince of Macedonia when his movement unfolds
I watched my temples start to crumble as truancy slowed
So I let Pompeii burn to ash and never loosened the mould.

China – 220 A.D.

I arose in the far east, during the Dynasty of Han
A culture built on valor of which finally, I’m fond
Now a symbol for prosperity and peace? The irony is gone
I’m to herald eras of tranquil virtue before I quietly move on?
If I’m righteously a swan, this land’s decidedly my pawn
Thus, the War of the Three Kingdoms spitefully I spawned.

New York, U.S. – 1973

Now I’m just a comic, a cosmic force of energy feeding from a star
I watched the world beneath me crumble, while seething from afar
What’s the meaning of this art? What does reading it impart?
I am barely just a dream of things yet appeasing to the heart
I guess time was in fact essential, I was cheated from the start
Since I’m only what I’m believed to be, it’s easy to depart…
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 8:24pm
I thoroughly enjoyed this. The (broader) topic of ancient Egypt is generally very intriguing and I think you incorporated the different elements of "ancient times" in an interesting and rather unconventional way. The pictures also nicely undermined the transitions of the regional and era-based depictions. The first two segments were the highlights to me, as you demonstrated slightly varying schemes which were consistent in their respective executions. I also enjoyed their vivd descriptiveness, while still having relevant references throughout. Another highlight was your last couplet, as I think it summed up everything expertly, while still providing a very interesting, overall perspective in relation to the preceding narratives. I love the initial idea behind the "phoenix" but also the various references with regard to the different time periods - such as the phoenix program in your last segment (might be too far fetched from my perspective though). It was also very good scheme-wise. A bit more of a variation towards your middle segment could be incorporated, but that's just me nit picking actually. A great read overall, with a very enjoyable balance of imagery and factual references. Thanks for sharing! 

Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 3:22pm
This was amazing, hence me asking you to post it here. I'll give a breakdown once I'm home!
#Bananas

Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 8:56am
Okay, bit later than I hoped but here it is anyway.

As I've said... This is amazing. I love the narrated parts in between the verses. It adds to the authenticity and provides more insight in what is happening. 

You then come with a killer first verse:

You dare to summon me?? Nascent as can be, young agent of deceit?
so patient and naive, yet trenchant in technique...your vagrance has intrigued
Oh! the tasks you can achieve! ask of what you need?(**) Your placement is decreed.
before you assume the throne know, the vacancy is teased until payment is received..

The word placement and usage is, with a lack of better words, fucking awesome. I bolded the words out which I liked the most. The way it's placed, adds so much atmosphere and detail while at the same time provides for a pretty smooth flow.

Fool! my magic is ancient and unique, you dare to test me in lieu of changes that you seek?
but your punishment ..will be latent and reprieved, for now, enjoy the nation at your feet
soon you'll be blatantly deceased, the pages of history, your name escapes from every sheet
your throne before an heir, left vacant to be seized, and only strangers will compete..

the moral is, to summon and cross me...is a mortal sin, you could die
as the sun touches my obelisk, I transform  from Bennu to Ra

Here, the bloded part is the only section of the entire piece which I did not like. To me, blatantly deceased does not work in any context (but that might just be me). So in this case it felt like a forced multi (due to the wording, not the actual context. Important difference!) to keep the momentum. The rest of this segment is incredibly polished and well written.

I was reborn in the western lands with plumage of gold
Still aligned with the Sun Gods, of new and of old.
The cycle of life and death is such a nuisance, I know.
But my power is in my history, which humans control.
Time is of no essence, so I choose to behold,
The prince of Macedonia when his movement unfolds
I watched my temples start to crumble as truancy slowed
So I let Pompeii burn to ash and never loosened the mould.

This was fucking fire. Straight up. The change in structure and scheme made it flow really smooth and at the same time added some sort of urgency in the cause of the character. Especially the part which is in bold is very dope worded. I like where this is going!

I arose in the far east, during the Dynasty of Han
A culture built on valor of which finally, I’m fond
Now a symbol for prosperity and peace? The irony is gone
I’m to herald eras of tranquil virtue before I quietly move on?
If I’m righteously a swan, this land’s decidedly my pawn
Thus, the War of the Three Kingdoms spitefully I spawned.

This right here, fucking hell. The dates and happenings check out as far as I know. And once again you're blessing me with such awesome lines. Which, as usual, are in bold. Especially the first line... Smh. You're dope.

Now I’m just a comic, a cosmic force of energy feeding from a star
I watched the world beneath me crumble, while seething from afar
What’s the meaning of this art? What does reading it impart?
I am barely just a dream of things yet appeasing to the heart
I guess time was in fact essential, I was cheated from the start
Since I’m only what I’m believed to be, it’s easy to depart…

I love the closer here. I'm still trying to figure out the red line between every verse in this piece but I think I have an idea of some sort. The various references and manner in which it is written could say that you're a god of some sort. (In certain beliefs the phoenix is a divine deity) but this could also be the rise and fall of turmoil in the world which come and go with the arrival and departure of you, the phoenix.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but it kind of makes sense in my head. Either way. I'm very impressed by this as the only thing I've read from you before was the battle verse against Ashley. So, yeah. I'm pleasantly surprised with this. Good job!
#Bananas

Rude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 2-2-0
Form: LWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the feedback Alice & End

Also @ End I wish I was on that level of thinking for that last set, basically I was just saying that in today's world, we no longer believe in mythical creatures, so the only trace of it left is through stuff like comics (i.e. Marvel's Jean Grey/Phoenix Force as referenced w/ the timeline)

Also I'm glad you noticed the timelines did hint to some truth, Thamphthis was an actual egyptian pharaoh and only ruled for a short period of time and his Egyptian name has been pretty much lost iin history, it may-or may not have  been Djedefptah, the 2nd part was meant to cover both Greek and Roman eras but line limit restricted me from getting too detailed, same with the China section. 
Bruno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 9:15pm
This is so thought provoking its got the lot! intellect, depth it's got me thinking that the only way to preserve the old myths is to write new versions of them hhmm! 
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the explanation, Rude. I like your version the most as I love to include myths, film, fairytales and stuff in my verse. It's awesome.
#Bananas

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic