Open Mic: [KOTM] ALASKA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HI-Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Alter Egos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HI-Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [KOTM] ALASKA
    Posted: 21 September 2016 at 3:33pm
It's cold outside so I throw on a sweater 

Old and tie dyed holds up in the weather

Seen better days few left but whatever 

Wear it till the fabric shreds like cheddar

Get a new one when Santa answers my letter 

Ask an optimist they say never say never

Alaska's the best place for...A dog sledder 

Unless your dogs a shedder...I'll do better 

Alaska has killer bud not bees fuck bugs

Trash..ah don't stink big titties warm hugs 

Fast grub no bums small cities cold mugs 

Good friends bon fires free love and drugs 

Hoods send hoes to hot springs not tubs 

Decked out in matching hats and gloves 

Hard to check out that ass in snow pants

Although we make do with a quick glance

Who knew that chicks do a quick dance 

When their cold they don't run they prance 

Knelt down got froze in a dick suck stance

Be there till it melts impression lasts 

Fresh snow hides guilt intentions masked 

Get the hoe a quilt and hot chocolate fast 

Thou most come trying to escape their past 

Not realizing that ice can reflect like glass 

They skate around the truth trying to surpass 

Get lost in the wilderness because it's vast 

Look Alaska is full of extreme contrasts 

I'm talkin forty below pitch black with snow 

4 hrs of light For about nine months or so 

Than a total shit show melted ready to go 

3 months of beauty Than back to normal

Highest suicide rate depression is social 

The state bird is the finger... Flying solo 

But I fuckin love it here call me an Eskimo

Edit: Reverted the changes which I made.

Edited by Endeavor - 22 September 2016 at 12:23pm
HI-Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HI-Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 3:52pm
Wasn't sure if the line limit was under or over 32...
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:11am
Alright bruh, line limit is 32 indeed. Also, I fixed your structure. This way, it's easier to pick out highlights and it's easier to read.

It's cold outside so I throw on a sweater 
Old and tie dyed holds up in the weather
Seen better days few left but whatever 
Wear it till the fabric shreds like cheddar
Get a new one when Santa answers my letter

Ask an optimist they say never say never
Alaska's the best place for...A dog sledder 
Unless your dogs a shedder...I'll do better 

The part which is in bold made me laugh. The flow, with some hiccups is actually pretty smooth throughout. You could maybe focus a bit more on internals and multi's as for now the rhymescheme is pretty basic. But at the same time it does what it has to do.

Alaska has killer bud not bees fuck bugs
Trash..ah don't stink big titties warm hugs 

Second line wasn't coherent to me. It feels like 3 statements packed in a sentence which sounds awkward. Maybe a way to improve this is to change the bar to:

Alaska got that killer bud but no bees, cuz fuck bugs
So cold the trash don't stink, need big titties and warm hugs

This way the bar makes more sense and flows better. Just a tip.

Fast grub no bums small cities cold mugs 
Good friends bon fires free love and drugs 
Hoods send hoes to hot springs not tubs 
Decked out in matching hats and gloves 

First three lines actually flow pretty smooth, the last line completely falls flat because you don't follow the internal rhyme structure of the previous lines. This can be fixed in two ways. 1) Follow the same scheme in the fourth line or 2) Extend the length of the line so that it flows. Right now it stops abruptly.

Hard to check out that ass in snow pants
Although we make do with a quick glance
Who knew that chicks do a quick dance <- Filler
When their cold they don't run they prance <- Strange
Knelt down got froze in a dick suck stance

Section here contained a filler, which wasn't really necessary and the line after it sounds strange. Now I imagine them prancing around instead of regularly walking. Come to think of it... Kinda funny too lol.

Be there till it melts impression lasts 
Fresh snow hides guilt intentions masked 
Get the hoe a quilt and hot chocolate fast 
Thou most come trying to escape their past 
Not realizing that ice can reflect like glass 
They skate around the truth trying to surpass 
Get lost in the wilderness because it's vast 
Look Alaska is full of extreme contrasts 

Interesting turn of events but I liked it. The very last line needs a rewording because in combination with the rest it doesn't roll of the tongue smoothly. The rest is actually pretty dope. I like it.

I'm talkin forty below pitch black with snow 
4 hrs of light For about nine months or so 
Than a total shit show melted ready to go 
3 months of beauty Than back to normal
Highest suicide rate depression is social 
The state bird is the finger... Flying solo 
But I fuckin love it here call me an Eskimo 

The contrast, albeit briefly elaborated upon, is actually pretty dope. The beauty of the landscape yet the suicidal rate because of depression due to the amount of sunlight has been worded pretty cool. I'd personally expand the lines a bit to put more emphasis behind the nice and ugly but as it stands, it works. The last two lines I did not like. Ain't Eskimo's just on the North- or Southpole?

All in all, you got potential. My strongest advice would be to solely write on beats, expanding your lines while focusing on a bit more advanced techniques like internals and multies while making the whole thing coherent.
#Bananas

HI-Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HI-Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:10pm
Okay, I need to tread lightly here. First off ty for the feed i hope I'm able to take what you said and apply it. Allow me respond to a few small issues right quick. The trash..ah was intened to rhyme with Alaska, and an Eskimo is a native alaskan. I wasent born in Alaska but feel as though I belong here. That's what I was going for with that line.now the hard part, I do not appraicate you taking librites with my line structure, I would have gotten the message had you simply stated that you didn't like the structure and shown me what you would have preferred. I wanted your opinion on what I produced not for you to edit an restructure my entire pice to your liking. In my opinion it now looks like one huge paragraph that I had nothing to do with. I would never post a verse in that fashion no matter who thought it was better, and further more I would never completely charge some ones structure with out their permission. I now find my post as hard to read as I'm sure this is for you. Please except this reply as my resignation from this site, I appoligize for any inconvenience my prsience has caused and wish you all the best of luck. Catch ya later HI-Z.   
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:18pm
I'm sorry you feel that way, HI-Z. I do agree it would have been a better to decision to discuss it with you before altering the structure. However, I felt during the alteration that I was doing "the right thing." So I do apologize for the inconvenience which I have caused and I'll be more than happy to revert the changes which I have made.

Thanks for the expo's on the "trash...ah" and "Eskimo" sections. It does make sense to me now.

Regarding the decision to leave the site due to a (wrong) decision of my part is quite unfortunate, really. With this decision you don't really allow any room for improvement from my part. I, of course, do respect your decision but I urge you to reconsider.
#Bananas

HI-Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HI-Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:42pm
I'll hang out, honestly you didn't say anything I dissagre with, and I know I can learn alot from you guys I'm not in the same league as you are. Thank you for your opinion no hard feelings keep pushin bro.     Catch ya later
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 2:35pm
Finally got round to feeding this..

Firstly I would just like to say that I quite like the structure here,for
me each line has it's own merits,as the short lines say heaps,also
each line seems to come off like a bar as they seem self contained,
however I do feel Endeavor has a point,not so much in the structure,
but by the multi aspect,because HI-Z that is the next step in your
progression,but with that typed there is no rush to acquire that step
until your ready,as these short lines are working well at this point,
also if you where to add internals this would be a good leap to make,
but at a price,because you'd have to go for longer lines,plus you'd
have to concentrate on a concept,where here as well as your prior
drops the subject matter you display has range,because your lines
are not rigid,you have scope to move lyrically,hence the jump from
subject matter in each line,which I do find refreshing,on the real,
as for rhis piece here I must say I liked the subtle humour which
you incorporated overall,I feel you did good here Rappin your city,
or in your case state,I thought your wording was decent,yeah in
parts your flow was forced,but even this was done well,so you do
have versatility going on which I like,plus on the whole your drop
doesn't stagnate due to the different directions it takes on it's
course,I believe this to be a nice verse all in all,and I enjoyed
the read,good work here..peace

"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 2:25pm
Just checked and you still visit the site so I'll drop some feed...

This was actually pretty cool (no pun intended) when you started off talking about the sweater I was like "here we go, guy isn't going to be on topic" but you actually surprised me a bit...I dug the opening 4 lines, the simile made me raise my eyebrow like "there's clearly something else here". In and of itself that was quite an insightful observation and that trend continued as you went through...use of imagery was subtle but poignant and quite cleverly deployed actually. You come off as someone who clearly knows what he's doing in that regard...and I actually really liked how you developed the drop, rounding off on the contrasts into "statement of facts" approach. The state bird thing made me smile, phraseology was pretty sweet right there.

All in all I think you showed a high level of writing capability in an all round intriguing and enjoyable drop. Endeeze is right about the rhyming, that could be more sophisticated, but you do have a lot of sophistication in your approach already...I'd urge you not to lose that as you learn more, as it's relatively easy to learn rhyming structures but not so easy to learn some of the other tools you have already.

Would be good to get your thoughts on some of the other pieces that have been submitted in the challenge too.

As an aside, can see you took issue with Endeeze altering your structure, I've seem him do that a couple of times in the past with other relatively new guys and he's just trying to help you. Just thought I'd mention it...
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 7:27pm
you had some cool metaphors/similies here, but the flow for the most part seems relatively basic. you had a couple good multis in there, but I think you are at the stage you should focus on enhancing your flows in how your write.

also, start working towards more content. you had some solid lines there, but then you had quite a few that could and prob shold have just been completely removed. but you are always posting so im sure youll keep improving and get there in no time.
don't quit the site cuz of one thing. at the end of the day you are the one thatwill get the most out of your relationship for the site,so sometimes you make sacrifices and just deal with shit. im sure he wont do it in the future.

im not sure if its current format is how he changed it, or its original format, but I like how it is currently written in.

keep writing.
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2016 at 2:09am
yo i actually like this. The short line structure made for a fast pace read. O f course doing this type o style one must really trim the fat and u kept only the bare essential. Dug that the imagery ran parallel with the emotion making the piece not only a sketch of character but a molding of landscape as well. And i echo Cuba in that some of the wording were clever little turn of phrase that was quite a nice suprise. There were negatives, mind you, that were well covered by End but,word, not bad, my man.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic