Author
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Primrose's Stalk
    Posted: 25 November 2016 at 6:56pm
**This is a quick exercise and a humble, more direct attempt at a topical. So not sure how it turned out.

You're getting up from your wife in bed
still petulant about the pile of texts 
I'm panic struck by your live request, 'fore
we ending up as a trifle mess in your private den, 
cherry atop the Cider smell, 
why we got here, it's scarier than we like to tell, 
Freuds' barriers are trying well 
to keep our inferius of sides on stealth

But..
I dreamed of her the other night, 
she seemed incurred - her clamoured cry's
what's leading me to jot this line, 
guess a Beast usurped our proper sight
but no cheat occurs through talks on skype
..right?
till we feel no urge in stopping by 
at each our firsts and foremost lies, far from
just speaking words to smother sighs

- it started with a stalk at Madison's
and I just walked its terraces
its every corner's measured in 
units that bore a pleasantness 
sourced by your presence and 
by every pity-fall I landed on
and when I say I sought some betterment 
it's only flawed affirmatives

I miss our hours.glass with milky grain of sands 
our sessions with '86 Whiskey, acorn on grass
doing manual wonders - filthy Play-Doh pals, 
even the humble, "pretty .." basic chats
and the simple, same old dance 
above all - your thrilling train of thoughts, 
I'm missing the late-stroll texts
last drink-up calls and your payphone cheques 
every transaction secured my haven's pass
- Eurydice's return to her praetorian past 

Note to self: 
illicit conversation takes two to make 
so neither you nor I can be truly saints
only she's the victim in our mutual gain
or so they say..
tubal drain of what's been induced each day
until the fluid fades, thumb-sucking the u it gave 
hoping it'll sooth the pain, cos the booze I prey
tells me we weren't rudiments - 
male muse entrée, mien of malheur on Woolwich Way. 

"Right away, you should've questioned it"
"Ask me if I got dependents with.."
I should've known better? 
"The first talk's like a preemptive step!"
I admire the pretentiousness 
But since I left it with Aristaeus help
- I'm lacking a sense of recklessness 
you gave to my overly pensive self
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 11:22pm
Girl you need to enter the topical league..

To say this was an attempt at a topical,was i thought was a totally alien concept
coming from you,the way you opened i just know i was in for a riverting read here,
and the subtle abstracts played their part in a ripe manner also,the tone you set,an
encounter or a disgruntled affair was descriptive,in fact the wording were crafted
really well,the emotion depicted was crazy,like they had been written by or from a
3rd person's prospective an actual experience even,I loved the description in the
3rd segment of how you covered every inch scouting for talent,so to, type in a bar/
pub,there after that segment start the real dance of metaphors/abstracts and emotions,truly impressive writing skills,(I look forward to our collab),the realisation
then sinks in that there's no blame where attraction is concerned as it takes 2,
sheer class,and the closing logical really on thinking segment the questionnaire,the
unsaid (that should be said),which like the rest of this verse,was on point with
description and emotions,other highlights?,the whole piece really,plus the fact at,
how well this was directed and stayed on course,all without a skip or a misfire was
quality,(Alice you may know or not know,but i have do love poetry,i find it a release
even,and believe me when i type here,this was RIPE,and i received a real. kick from
this,touching for real..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 8:15pm

Quote You're getting up from your wife in bed

Why is it words like "petulant" never come to mind when I sit down to write a verse? I mean, I know the word, I'm familiar, and I wish I thought to use it (or something like it), but sadly I never do. Fortunately, I can read pieces by writers like you and admire what seems to come so natural to you. Anyway, I'm rambling. Let's continue...

Quote I'm panic struck by your live request, 'fore

Okay, a couple things.

1. What "live request". Also, since I have no idea what the request was, I in turn have no idea why you were shocked to begin with. *Although, I think you may be talking about some sort of unexpected sexual interaction, but it's a little unclear.
2. "Why we got here" reads a little awkward (imo). Perhaps consider using "how" instead. To me it rolls off the tongue a lot more smoothly.

Quote Freuds' barriers are trying well 
to keep our inferius of sides on stealth

I'll be honest, I had to look up the word "inferius"; I was unfamiliar. However, after doing so I was quite impressed by the imagery it conjured and how you married it with the Freud reference. Interesting combination to say the least. Intriguing.

Quote But..
..right?

Geez, English isn't even your first language, yet your command over its devices and vocabulary surpasses my own. Should I hate you? Lol

Anyway, admiration aside, your story is beginning to come to life now. I like the inquisitive interaction here. It makes me think about what I'm actually reading as opposed to just reading it with no thought invested.

Quote till we feel no urge in stopping by 
at each our firsts and foremost lies, far from

Now that is poetry at it's core -- a tangible abstract meant to be reflected upon after much mediation (In my own head that makes sense).

Quote - it started with a stalk at Madison's; 

I like the way you use your words to describe things in a way that reads vivid even though you didn't actually describe anything in a direct or concrete way. Yet still, the scene is set and I am in it. There is brilliance between the spaces in your writing.

Quote I miss our hours.glass with milky grain of sands

Again, meditation is essential. Reflection reveals the genius.

Quote our sessions with '86 Whiskey, acorn on grass
- Eurydice's return to her praetorian past

One thing I like about your writing is it's ever shifting and unexpected. You never take the bait or take the easy way out. There were moments in this segment you could have married ideas with obvious cliches. Instead, right when that seemed to be the case you switch directions and gave us new trains of thought to travel aboard, yet still kept us cognitive of the fact the final destination would be the same.

Also, you know I wouldn't miss a chance to point out a Greek or Latin reference tossed gracefully within the mix. The last line was like fine wine. Although, I'm not quite sure how "Praetorian" totally relates.

Quote Note to self: 

Loved the scheme and dug the wording.

Quote only she's the victim in our mutual gain
or so they say..
until the fluid fades, thumb-sucking the u it gave 

I had to look all that up. I was convinced I was reading German for a second. However, if my translations prove correct then my understanding of the last line was pretty dope (for lack of better terminology).

Also, Alice, I mean no offense, but aren't you a woman? I mean, I always naturally assumed you were, due to your name and the fact I'm positive I've seen others refer to you as 'gal' or 'girl' or 'lady'. In any case, are you writing this from the perspective of a man in love with a women that is taken, or a women in love with another women, or is this some sort of strange 3-way affair that's taking place? I've been a little unclear on that since I started reading.

I like the subtleties of your scheme. Your rhymes are not forceful or overly theatrical, they're calm, understated, yet intricately interwoven.

As for your content...

I could follow some of it, but not all of it towards the end. At times it seemed to take the leap from topical into more whimsical poetry although it remained grounded in a common-day theme. To me it was interesting and perplexing, straight forward, yet not. Some of it was obvious, while other parts needed to be decoded. In any case, it was intriguing and had many lines to admire, ponder, and ultimately absorb. It was a writer's favorite writer type of piece and a true pleasure to read. However, the "Aristaeus" part most certainly went over my head. Lol

Peace...

Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 12:39am
@Crim
Really appreciate it, thanks. I'm glad you liked it! 

@Self
First off, thank you for the amazing breakdown!! As I said, this was an attempt at a topical. The topic was 'modern victimisation'. But after reading your thoughts on it, I think it's the last time I'm posting something without re-reading the entire verse. 
Just to clarify: this was a commentary of a woman, describing her (now past) relationship to a married man, not being aware of his other relationship in the beginning. But I totally get the confusion with the 'I dreamed of her' part and why you'd assume something different. Again, my bad. And yes, I'm a woman, glad that at least something is clear haha. The 'live request' in the beginning relates to the 'pile of texts', as in 'he asked her to meet up rather than just talk on Skype'. I tried to tie in the 'modernisation' aspect here.
Also, it's not really good when you think you're reading German. I mean, I've been living in the UK for almost 2 years now, and I must be doing something wrong then lmao. Glad you enjoyed the last line of that segment, though. I always appreciate your thoughts. 
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 12:04am
I don't always wanna do you a big break down...... Star to analyse another writers mechanics ......each do our own thing
Just wanna say this piece had something about it that made me think and says

spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 12:04am
Yes

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 3:18am
love it!

You're getting up from your wife in bed
I'm panic struck by your live request, 'fore
Freuds' barriers are trying well 
to keep our inferius of sides on stealth

aside from the awkward first line, what a way to set the plot, tone, and emotional intrigue with this first stanza. "Cherry atop the Cider smell" YEAH!! Not just imagery but sensory as well. I dig stuff like that. Last two lines were gold!

But..
..right?
till we feel no urge in stopping by 
at each our firsts and foremost lies, far from

This stanza certainly painted a picture of guilt with many dimensions. And really the wording were pretty insane. "speaking words to smother sighs" .... wooahh! 

it started with a stalk at Madison's

due to ur consistent strong rhyme choices, i was a bit off put by the usage of betterment. Its like...noooo! That word choice sounded awkward and just didn't due to the rest of the piece justice. Other than that, like how this worked as a flashback to the very first interaction. 

I miss our hours.glass with milky grain of sands 
Eurydice's return to her praetorian past 

The wordplay of that first line was dope. How u seperate it with a period but yet we know what the play on word was then each word had its own root and reason. dope. Great use of vocab too especially the last line. Of course the image was consistently strong throughout the stanza.

Note to self: 
only she's the victim in our mutual gain
or so they say..
until the fluid fades, thumb-sucking the u it gave 

this is probably my fav stanza. The word choice. The rhymescheme. the imagery, everything was on point. There was a tint of eroticism in this stanza that seeped in like a fine hypnotist. well done.

The ending might've been the weakest point to the verse only because everything before it was THAT much better! In its own right, its a spectacle to behold but everything before touched an ambiguous, poetic note that the exposition lacked that same type of vague beauty. Regardless, this was by far my fav verse of yours. Hope u keep doing this style, Alice!

iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 8:40pm
One thing that really stood out is the ability to create not only visions with your words but touch on the other senses as well. The cadence and flow, delivery all stood in the background as your lyrics really captured my interest. I'm curious to know of your accent as some of the words I struggled to rhyme and maybe rhyming wasn't your intention. To be honest, it was so poetic that I only really noticed when I went over it for mechanical feedback. I agree with SELF that i wished for a stronger ending only because the middle and build up was really really well thought out and delivered. I'm glad I came in and peeped this.
HI-Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Alter Egos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HI-Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 12:03am
Alice, your words carry weight and the way you told this story was beautifully designed and well written. To be able to be that honesty and open, or at least depicte those emotions is something that very few people are capable of. I have only read this once and normally try to refrain from posting reply's because I feel like I'm not qualified to comment on other ppl's work yet. But I felt compelled to at the very least say good job, i will read this again and try to come up with something more... Beneficial "for lack of a better word" to say. But please don't be offened if I'm unable to find anything "wrong" with this at all. Well done Alice, well done.
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 2:06pm
Thank you all, I appreciate it.

@ill
Actually, one of my main intentions was to 'rhyme'.
I have more of a 'british' accent. Any segment that particularly lacked rhythm or rhymes? As I employ slants, I'll try to be even more thorough with schemes.

S Dubb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Alter Egos

Stats: 2-7-1
Form: LLLLNL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S Dubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 5:25pm
This was most definately an enjoyable read... I like the questioning of guilt and the thought of both having personal gain with only you 2 benifiting.....  As for your flow that you were questioning it was on point only a couple lines fell off, but as for an entirety the scheme stayed on point.... I only noticed a couple lines that fell off on flow....

"we ending up as a trifle mess in your private den, "

&

"I miss our hours.glass with milky grain of sands 
above all - your thrilling train of thoughts,"

^^Flow was a little shaky through-out that area....

But the topic and imagery was nice.... I felt the struggles of the cheating man.... Felt as if I could step into his shoes, I like how you brought it up as if it began as innocent stalking and turned into this flaming affair.... good work on this piece fam, looking forward to seeing more work from you.... 8/10
Goryo. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 4-4-0
Form: LWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Goryo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 6:44pm
Definitely up to your standard anyway. If I'm honest I think you could write a verse about brushing your teeth and still make it interesting lol. Anyway I felt a really sad and almost dread-like vibe throughout this. Dunno if that was your intention but that's just the way it came across to me. Quite sentimental too. A lot of different vibes and components made this a very strong piece. One example is the 'no cheat occurs through talks on Skype... right?' line where it was like you were trying to convince yourself about something you knew was wrong. The ending was in that vein too. I liked the nostalgic section in the middle too and every topic came at the right place to keep the momentum and feel of the verse. Structure/rhymes/flow all fine. I had no trouble following it clearly. Overall a really heavy but enjoyable read.
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Goryo. Goryo. wrote:

One example is the 'no cheat occurs through talks on Skype... right?' line where it was like you were trying to convince yourself about something you knew was wrong..

Yoooo that part gave me chills too! U can't practice something like that. Glad u pointed that out because that was perhaps the most powerful moment in the piece.

Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 3:00am
Thanks, really appreciate it.

I'm actually surprised by all the positive feed, as I was somewhat unsure about the content/approach.
And I'm glad you enjoyed that line in particular.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic