Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jay Homicide View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 9-3-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jay Homicide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cobwebs
    Posted: 01 March 2017 at 4:42pm
This is probably the first time I’ve written anything in well over a year. Just cleaning off the rust, and seeing if I don’t completely suck now. It’s also a lot more in the grime structure of laying out bars, which is something new for me, but reflective of what sort of rap I fuck with these days.

Been time since I dropped a verse
Mind stalled, felt like I lost my words
Put my mind on the longest search
It was bleak, my rhymes no longer worked
Thought I’d completely fallen off
The bravado gone, an’ the talkin’ stopped
Lost the arrogance from all my drops
So ghosted like a call from God
But fam time can heal those wounds
Felt it was time to unseal my tomb
So I’m back, hope you feel my truth
Man just came back to kill the booth
Put the worth back in my work
Yeah, get the Earth back in my words
If needed put the dirt back on the herbs
Clean out the hearse prepare for church
A God’s back hope you feel my speech
Just gather y’all can hear me preach
Even when they scatter still believe
That there’s no one quite as ill as me

Peace.
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 5:03pm
Jay, welcome back. I can see that you're easing yourself back to writing. I've seen harder shit from you. You have all the technique down. On my end, whilst reading, I thought a syllable here or there extra in some lines would have enhanced the flow a bit. Just how I was reading it. It was like I naturally added them. All in all man, I'm excited to have a vet back on the grind.

HMU
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 10:35pm
The short-bar style was really a highlight here. The opening was probably the strongest part, to me at least. It was a very vivid yet direct depiction and even more so relatable. I love the naturalness in pieces which are quickly jotted down. A nice and 'light' read. 
Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 2:08am
What up bro. Good shit here not bad for taking so much time off. Some rhymes werent adding up or throwing off the rhymes schemes. But a great flow and consistent overall. Get at me
+Sick-Witted+
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 10:17am
jay hom, def a name i remember being discussed here once or twice by members so ur status is likely vet or legend. this was a nice "getting back to it" verse. you didn't try to do too much, kept it simple and honest. interesting contrasting tone also. it was an obvious brag piece but there was an apologetic...almost shy tone about it lol. very weird but somehow u made it work. good stuff man. 

Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 10:58am
Well simplicity was the key here,it all read natural and cohesive,I liked how you started,
it came off as meek and submissive,but by 2nd half it was forceful with a controlled tone,the vocab here didn't need to be extensive as the tempo and contents carried this
piece forward here,and to be honest I was happier for it,as this made a nice refreshing
change really,see complexity all well and good,but when striving in that direction you
have to sacrifice flow to achieve that,now with simplicity your more focused on
the rhyme schemes and flow,the bonus is with this route is less clutter less fuck ups,
hence a cleaner verse,a nice quaint and enjoyable read here..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
J Sass View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 12-7-3
Form: WWWNNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J Sass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 5:13am
shyt was coo bro...it was really rough tho...I feel like the start was better than the finish...you rushed it instead of just letting it flow

but I know what you got homie...do ya thang...I seen this and had to let you know I was here

Sass
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 4:06pm
Just wanted to jump in here and say welcome back homie, I love to see the old faces resurface especially those that were active for long spells at the same time as me

Well I can definitely relate to the position you are in, I only came back about 8months ago after a year or more off my writing

The drop was ok, I can see you still got that passion
A couple more pieces and you will find the thought process return's
The fundamental is locked down you just gotta get the metaphor and clever angles back in your game

Respect

The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 12:59pm
This is good bro, shake off that rust and warm up for IC2. I want you in tip top shape. Hoping that whole mothafucker can be a classic. 

As for the verse, there is definitely some rust there. But the simplicity, short lines, and really seemed like you were just jotting down that personal feeling of having rust and that you were starting to put the earth back into ya lines is what made this piece good. It was relatable to most of us as we have all gone through or felt in some way what is written here. And I'm sure most of the rust will be gone now after this drop, you obviously still got it. Just about having stronger depth and creativity behind it now. 

Although his absence was much longer. As I said to J Sass, welcome back. :D
Go my Minions!

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 11:33pm
Wanted to dig this one out because I didn't feed it at the time but had read it at work & intended to give feedback...

Two minds really, one is, I like to see evolution and I can see you're trying to move more towards a grime feel but at the same time I personally don't like it as you were one of those guys who, to me, had a real great style and I thought you had a real great balance to your writing. You can kind of see some of the remnants of that in here as your natural (and learned!!) style is still in here, you've just chopped out some of the syllable count. It's a real interesting one in some way because your signature smoothness/flow doesn't really marry with the sharper, more stacatto/aggressive type grime that I'm used to (though got to hold my hands up and say I'm far from an expert in that form and it's more my impression). I dunno man, I'd love to see you try and do more of the Kiki approach if you were gonna go for shorter bar structure than grime...because I used to love reading your drops man, you had a real confidence and authenticity that not many people achieve.

But that's just me!! Hope to see more from you man.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic