Author
DressToKill View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 78-62-0
Form: LLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DTK - RICO Freestyle 16 bars
    Posted: 26 May 2017 at 2:45am
Finished the recording with the rest of the verse, worked on staying in the pocket and pronunciation. Always trying to get a litte farther ahead

The original comeback kid
Cheeseburger Eddie View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeseburger Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:47am
The flow switch at 1:02 came right when it needed to. Great timing there. Sounded crisp in the mix, almost too crisp at times that gave it a harshness I think actually worked for it. You annunciated pretty well throughout I think a few words could still be tightened up, but I'm certainly guilty of worse infractions there. I think you're strict adherence to the rhyme scheme kind of makes it stick out a bit more though so you gotta be extra vigilant about that. Content wise, really strong multis through out and seemed like solid battle type rap, I'll leave that for others though, I prefer topicals and abstract shit so my opinions pretty irrelevant there I think. 

Solid drop my dude. Keep making shit.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:11am
Yeah right now I'm really working on voice control and the pronunciation of my words because I find I need more clarity in my lyrics. I'm learning on how to trim down bars to help with the flow as well. Good looks on the feed cheeseburger
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:16pm
ok, I see you bro. the clarity in your voice was nice. very easy to understand every word individually, something I struggle with.

when you said plight, I think you bobbed your head and it was while pulling back. if you did that word closer to mic woulda had a little more base and been nice for end rhyme.

this was nice tho. sound on both sides. way more in the pocket than last time. you a beast in the making.

on this one id add a little more high end, low end and slightly lower the mid. again, im not great at mixing, I just play with shit. I THINK that would improve it, on the off hand, 50/50 it makes it worse. which is my case walking into anything I mix.

towards the very end of your track, it sounds like your vocals were coming in a tad too hot. leave some headroom on them so you got space to work with while mixing. by this I mean your vocals shouldn't be clipping or getting close to clipping (reaching the top or bottom in the sound wave format or whatever you call it. you know what I mean).

keep these coming man, def been a steady climb in skill when it comes to flow/delivery/mixing.

this I can tell you probably recorded a bunch of times before you picked your final take. if I am right... that's what I do as well. its always better to have a better take than a better mix. it allows you to have more leeway in your mixing ability.

if this was properly mixed it woulda added a little bit more umph and bettered your presence on the beat. it was already good and you had control, but would bump it up a level.
The_Guy View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 16-12-0
Form: WLWWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:41am
So this is what that verse sounds like over a beat....flames bro, all flames!! 
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Lord Puente Lord Puente wrote:

ok, I see you bro. the clarity in your voice was nice. very easy to understand every word individually, something I struggle with.

when you said plight, I think you bobbed your head and it was while pulling back. if you did that word closer to mic woulda had a little more base and been nice for end rhyme.

this was nice tho. sound on both sides. way more in the pocket than last time. you a beast in the making.

on this one id add a little more high end, low end and slightly lower the mid. again, im not great at mixing, I just play with shit. I THINK that would improve it, on the off hand, 50/50 it makes it worse. which is my case walking into anything I mix.

towards the very end of your track, it sounds like your vocals were coming in a tad too hot. leave some headroom on them so you got space to work with while mixing. by this I mean your vocals shouldn't be clipping or getting close to clipping (reaching the top or bottom in the sound wave format or whatever you call it. you know what I mean).

keep these coming man, def been a steady climb in skill when it comes to flow/delivery/mixing.

this I can tell you probably recorded a bunch of times before you picked your final take. if I am right... that's what I do as well. its always better to have a better take than a better mix. it allows you to have more leeway in your mixing ability.

if this was properly mixed it woulda added a little bit more umph and bettered your presence on the beat. it was already good and you had control, but would bump it up a level.

Basically I learned that originally that I was recording way to close to the mic at first, so I basically backed up and turned my pre amp up which imo boosted my quality. I need to learn to come off more naturally imo and I need to learn to mix ofc with the help of youtube lol. Thank you for the continuous breakdowns and criticisms. Also thank you TG for the feed as well dude 
Okie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 1-2-0
Form: LLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 12:22am
The flow is there, but how you rattle the bars off with your tone doesn't feel as enjoyable (understand?)
could just be me.. With the same bars n flow with a more at ease tone at points (with more presence in the mic/closer or higher intake) to me that would work n wouldn't feel like ya fighting it a bit.

but for what you were aiming for (clarity ext) KooL job
Fuego
Mission View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Mic of the Month

Stats: 8-9-1
Form: LWLLLN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 8:28am
bro im pretty sure you were a text head for a while so props to you for this, flow issues have already been addressed but that was one intricate verse good stuff bro i dig it and you had a good confidence in your mic presence.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:17am
Yeah thanks guys this was one of my first recording...no editing whatsoever and I was still adjusting to writing for audio. Good looks on the feed though
Nick Genre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nick Genre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 5:30am
you need more comfort....it sounds good.... but you gotta spit it and make it more believable...keep at it...ill keep listening 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic