Audio Mic: demos-feedback on anything is appreciated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: demos-feedback on anything is appreciated
    Posted: 28 December 2018 at 4:46am
https://soundcloud.com/essence905

It's been awhile since I shared any of my work with anyone. All that you see on this soundcloud has been things I've created over the last 5 years, the most recent being the ones at the top of the playlist which I recorded about a week ago.

I have never been great at writing hooks but it is something I will be working on as I get back into the craft. This is my way of just getting back into creativity, hoping to meet like-minded MC's, producers, engineers etc.

Edited by Essence1 - 28 December 2018 at 4:55am
D.Von Doom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: #1
Stats: 15-4-0
Form: WWWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote D.Von Doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 5:08am
Whats good Essence

I hit the link and I feel the potential is definitely there. Your flow lands clean most of the time. Sometimes it was a bit choppy. So far I heard from the soul and her caged bird(the choppy one). I like the lyrical ability you possess and the direction its growing in. You definitely should dive back into it....don't lose your gains(new things learned from experience while being fully active). Your style is refreshing check out Sa-Roc on YouTube, I feel you both dwell in a similar vein. Also better quality will help make us listeners admire what you're saying.

Keep spitting.
I can only fall off in space...
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 6:14am
Word, I appreciate the feedback Doom thank you. As far as quality goes since I just started recording again, I wasn’t feeling the sound of my mic so I recently rented a different mic and for now experimenting with that and placement as well as pre-mixing so a better audible clarity should be up soon.

The best work comes with patience but I really wanted to get something on here to share with everyone. What’s your set up like? I just heard that triad cypher and was blown away!
D.Von Doom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: #1
Stats: 15-4-0
Form: WWWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote D.Von Doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:57am
I agree. I just recently upgraded my set up.

Pro Tools
M audio interface
Black nova mic
HP Pavillion pc
I can only fall off in space...
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 2:30pm
Firstly it's so refreshing hearing a female on the mic here at LA,(it's been a while),
i thought this track was nice overall,your pitch/tone was clear,& your delivery kept
in sinc with the beat also so props there,and i'll state right now that Decepticon/
Transformer bar/lyric was pure ripe,and to say you've had time out from making
tracks,your not really suffering from rust so to type,and when i hit the train after
work,i shall give them other offering a whirl too,all in all impressive as well as
enjoyable,i really liked this and its worth anybody time to check it out...peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 5:12pm
you definitely have a steel city/hamilton sound.. not sure if thats where youre from, but thats the dialect I hear.

anyway - delivery is pretty cool.. flow is bouncy, which works.. lyrically youre pretty rock solid.

any feedback id give really.. is focusing on your tone and tightening up the flow a bit. overall, Doom killed it when he said its alot of potential.

welcome to LA. we have tons of cats who can help you with your craft.
#Bananas
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:54pm
Originally I have

Protools 12
Audio Technica 4035 Condenser Mic
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (I don't recommend it, it's garbage despite the reviews about having a good preamp, its not true)
Macbook Pro 2010

I'm currently renting a Shure Sm7b mic and running a Cloudlifter CL-1 because I wanted something that would establish more presence before mixing so I'm still messing around with that + mic placement, how do you find the preamp in the M Audio?
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:59pm
Crimson, thanks for the props, I haven't seen/heard a female on this board yet, can you drop any names I should look out for? It'd be nice to hear another female on the mic.

I find where I lack is just regaining my breath control since it's been a long while since I've been on the mic consistently and some of the more recent stuff I recorded such as "something's wrong, love is a strange thing etc" is what I recorded about last week after getting over laryngitis so it's been quite a ride.

Again, I appreciate the props
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 12:03am
Haha Neek! Thank you, I've only ever worked in and around steel city but no, I'm around Mississauga/Brampton area, close enough though, a lot of cats from the steel city area enjoy lyrical content so I can understand why I gave off that impression. Nice guess!

I was hoping someone would point out tonality. I find that I'm generally pretty monotone even when I try to switch it up, which is why I've decided to rent out different microphones here and there and mess around with mic placement to find something that can really give off the presence/warmth in my voice initially before mixing. If you have any suggestions regarding how I can work with tonality I'm totally up for it.

Thank you again for taking the time out to listen and welcoming me to the board I appreciate it!
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 4:57am
this is impressive, Essence. i like that you are lyrically oriented as i feel most emcees should. as much as i appreciated creative rhyme pattern, i prefer a lyrical adequate effort and you certainly fit the bill. flow is really good. monotone thing plagues us at the beginning and i feel with time it takes care of itself (most of the time lol). i'd probably lower the instrumental a bit or higher up your vocals. overall a dope intro. 

was going through ur catalogue and u should share the Love is a Strange Thing track. its really good. 

ch3kkgame View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

MC of the Month

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 14-2-1
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ch3kkgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 7:09pm
This is a pretty nice drop though Essence. Im feeling the flow and the linking of some words. I do agree with doom though. Some parts were choppy, but that's what the grind is for. The repetition of writing, recording, and timing will get better each time. It is dope to hear a female on the mic. I look forward to listening to more drops from you. The hardware may not be great, but are adequate enough to enhance your skills. Just stay with the grind. It will pay off. Dope shit tho. 
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 10:41pm
Yo Doom, I don't have dm/pm yet as I'm still a newbie here but I wanted to just pass my respect for turning me on to Sa-Roc, I never heard of her but I've been listening track after track, I have not heard a female MC of her calibre in a long long time so this is just fantastic, and you're right, I totally dig it, we definitely dwell in the same vein, she sure is like 50 steps ahead though lol. Peace and thank you!
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 10:42pm
Sammy thank you for the love! I appreciate it and thank you for listening to the lyrics, like you I also prefer lyrical abilities aside from the other fundamentals so it makes me happy to know that this forum doesn't mess around and it's all about elevation.
Essence1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essence1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 10:48pm
Respect Ch3kk! I appreciate you taking the time out to listen, I'm definitely putting in more time into writing and recording etc again, it's crazy just looking back on how music took all my time when I was younger and now balancing it out between full time work/school and personal priorities makes it feel impossible. I've never been into 'making it" or anything like that, I mostly enjoyed just putting words together and part of my return to it is remembering how it grounded me, and writing with a whole new "mature" perspective makes me feel so vulnerable as I prefer to write brutally honest, so...everything I'm doing now is little steps just to respect my own level of creativity as a tool for my sanity. I'm looking forward to progressing and strengthening where I lack, so thank you again for taking the time to listen!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic