Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dalinquent View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 29-23-1
Form: WLLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dalinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Asylum Tutorial
    Posted: 19 January 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by dalinquent dalinquent wrote:

Okay now that im back im going to get these training camps up and running.  First off, no uppin and/or spamming this thread, Period!  Any post in here should be participating, whether dropping a punch or constructively criticizing one.

Now, the rules.  Each member of the crew is urged to participate at least twice a week.  Once dropping a punch and once again responding to one.  This training camp will focus on dissin opponents and help alot in battles if used properly and regularly.  This camp will cover punching, using wordplay effectively, utilizing bar limits, effective flipping, replacing fillers, consistent dissing/clowing, etc.

Section I:  Effective Battling

Chapter 1:  Intro to Battling

To remain a member of The asylum, your going to have to stay active i the battlefields and stand your ground.  This introductory chapter will teach you how to prepare for an upcoming battle.  The pre-battle rituals that can help you develop strong punchlines.

First:

It is a great idea to gather information on your opponent.  When I have a battle, I first look for contradiction my opponent have made.  This can be anything ranging from stating false information to misspelling words.  As you grow as a writer you will learn how to use the simplest misspelling of a word against your opponent but for now stating false information will service considering its easy to work with.

How to use false information statements as a punchline?

>Say for example your opponent writes the following...

'Im one of the greatest on this site, how you expect to beat me'

if under the giving circumstances your opponent isn't the greatest on the site or even close you can flip his punch against him. Maybe his battle stats are proof that he is far from great.  Or maybe its a well known fact that no one respects him.  In this case, a punch like the following will hit hard...

'You the greatest, its hard to believe that that's true

Simply because it evident that nobody respect's you'

Notice how the the first line(the opponents') gives life to your punch.  This is an effective flip.  Beware though, when attempting to flip avoid merely mentioning something your opponent said.  It proves to be a very ineffective flip.  When done correctly, flips can give you the edge you need to win a battle but when ineffective, they can backfire and destroy your verse completely.  I'll cover effective flipping later in the tutorial.

When checking for contradictions made by your opponent, try to think of possibly ways to use them.  Look for easy to grasp concepts that aren't to complex to use effectively and are simple enough for your audience to catch on to.

Chapter 2:  Nameplays

Nameplaying is a form of wordplay using the opponents name.  When using nameplays, it is not good enough to be effective.  You must also be very original considering the fact that nameplays are usually the first kind of punch used.  They are very easy to use though.  When preparing to use nameplays, first analyze the name of your opponent.  Really pick it apart.  Try to find other words within it, connections between it and something else, other places it's been used, wordplay opportunities, etc.  Once you've found these things, try to attempt to get a punch and/or wordplay from them.  This intial punch can be very raw/underdeveloped considering you'll revise it once you begin your verse.

Example:

Name: Glitch

Starting punch: Glitch is a mistake

Notice how basic it is.  Not much of a punch right.  Wrong!  Now comes the development of the punch.  In your actually verse, u dont want to just say glitch is a mistake.  You want to make his very own name insult him.  By leaving the original punch basic, you leave alot of directions you can go with it.  In the next example i'll show just one of them.

How I'm fucking this bitch, they might say he getting anally raped

Your name is like your existence, Glitch...My favorite mistake

Notice how I keep the initial concept of glitch being a mistake while adding another aspect to it with his existence.  Its perfect nameplay because glitch (which is his name) is a mistake and it also make you think about the existence part.  Every part of the line is relevant to the punch which makes it perfect.

Chapter 3:  Personals: 

Next I'll talk about a very important aspect of battling; The personal.  The personal is important simple because it's usually the strongest, hardest hitting offensive weapon you have.  First step is to find some personal information about your opponent that can be used to insult them.  For the sake of this tutorial, I'll create the following character

Name-Blitz
Group-Groupie
Age-16
Gender-Female
Location-Canada
Occupation-N/A
Interest-Performing Live

Based on the profile, and the knowledge obtained in the nameplay section, a blitz flip should immediately come to mind (blitz is a football play, also a arcade football game).  However, we are looking for personals.  There are many ways to attack using the info in the profile.  I'll use a sometimes complex method of linking for this tutorial.  Linking is using two personals in one punch

The personals I've chose are age and interest...Based on the age provided, I'm going to assume that this chick isn't old enough to peform live.  Or at least not at any good venues.  The punch could be worked many ways, but this is how I'd do it.

After I'm done with her, Man this bitch'll be fucked...
How the fuck you performing live? You not old enough to get in the club

Personals usually hit regardless of how well they are executed but when a personal is worked well, it can win a battle by its own.  Remember, Practice makes perfect

Chapter 4:  Flips:  (opponent must drop first)

The Flip is my personal favorite method of attacking.  A good flip is always extremely effective.  This is so, because a good flip draws on the weaknesses of an opponent verse to make yours better.  Some writers are beyond flips, because they write near flawless verses, but if your mind is abstract enough, you'll find something to exploit from their verse.  Flips are probably the most fear form of attacking.  Some people go as far as making rules to make them illegal in there battles.

When looking to flip, first be sure the rules allow it.  If the rules allow it, the first thing you want to do to develop the flip is to carefully read your opponents verse.  Look for weak spots, fake personals, and contradictions your opponent made.  Lets look at the following profile

Name-Blitz

Group-Groupie

Age-16

Gender-Female

Location-Canada

Occupation-N/A

Interest-Performing Live
Battle score- -2

Vs

Name-Dal

Group-Superior

Age-N/A

Gender-Male

Location-US

Occupation-N/A

Interest-N/A
Battle score- 2

Also lets say blitz used the following punch in her verse.

Look man, I'll smash and bruise ya...
...And be flipping dal, to show ya'll that this lad's a loser

First thing that should stand out about that punch is the contradiction it makes.  Blitz calls Dal a loser but she has lose more than he.  Therefore it's perfect to flip.  When developing the flip, be sure to stay true to the concept.  A good way to do this is to ask a question in your lyrics.  For example, in this case the question would be...

How am I a loser

In most cases, the question can be transfer to the punch and be rather effective.  I'll finish this example by doing just that.

How am I a loser?  Bitch...I've won more battles than you

Once the flip is developed, you can throw a relevant set up on it and call it a day...An example follows

You got me confused ma, I'm baffled it's true...
How am I a loser? Bitch...I've won more battles than you

Remember, when flipping, be sure it's allowed in the battle.  Also, be sure that your attacking with the flip and not simply, re-mentioning the initial punch.  An ineffective flip can ruin the perfect verse

Chapter 5:  Proper Wording And Effectiveness:

One of the most important aspects of a verse is the wording of each line and punch.  Even if you have a grasp on the aforementioned methods of attacking an opponent, the only true way to master them is by mastering the art of wording.  Unfortunately, this is as difficult to teach as it is important.  Most people develop this talent through time and practice, but in the following chapter, I'll attempt to explain techniques to help you improve your wording...

Section I-Multi/Poly-syllable rhyming:

Multis are the most impotant aspect of wording and working a line effectively.  Multi-ing is the use of numerous rhymes within a line(s).  To effectively multi, each rhyming syllable much match in the sequence...The following is a example of effective multi-ing

<font style="">You wanna know the key to success, It's simple, Speak of the best
Just make a dal reference, And you almost guareenteed to impress

<font style="">Notice how the areas underlined are perfect rhymes....Below is an illustration of how they match up

Key...........to...............suc..............cess
Speak.......of...............the...............best
Teed.........to...............im................press

You may notice how the mid syllables don't rhyme.  This is true, but they do have importance flow wise as well as quality wise.  This help to convey the thoughts of the piece in a grammatically correct way, which is alway important when writing lyrics...Multi-ing isn't a concept thats impossible to grasp, It's very easy if you take the time to do it and it helps alot.

Section II-Transitional/Intra-Bar rhyming:

Transitionals are less important than multis but they help a lyricist display mastery of the multi concept, when you can multi good, transitionals will come easily.  A transitional rhyme is a multi carried on to the next bar. 

I think its enough bitch, You fucking writers are bogus

I don't wanna influence you, I'm still on my
inspire the dope' shit

You liars are hopeless, That why ya easy to beat
'

Notice how writers are bogus and spire the dope shit are multi-ed effectively.  Now, looked at the other underlined lyric.  Notice how it have the same properties of the multis mentioned above but its not located at the end of the bar like the others.  Also take note that the last bar has a different rhyme scheme than the bars before it.  Transitions improve the low of a verse as a whole, by connecting pairs of bars to one another.  Like Multis, transitional are easy if you take the time to do them right.

Coming Soon
Chapter 5: Section III:  Aggressive Wording
Chapter 6: Advanced Wording
Open Mic Tutorial (Possible)

In the mean time, use the above information to start working on punchline development.  The rest of chapter one and the entire book will be posted soon enough...

Suggest a chapter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic