Direct Link To This Post Topic: IC Round 1: Battler 3 vs Battler 14
    Posted: 17 January 2015 at 3:55am
Identity Crisis: Round 1
- 30-40 Lines 3-0KO or First to 5
- Battlers will be anonymous
- Votes will be hidden
- Sunday January 25th, Midnight GMT time
Check your time here

If you reveal who you are to someone and I find out, you are immediately disqualified.
If you don't vote and end up winning the tournament, money will be taken off the prize.

Voting rules:
Votes will be hidden and need to be approved my a moderator.
 Please vote in the thread, and it will be revealed at the end of the battle. (Don't PM them)
Voters must have 250 posts to vote (I think there was a couple shady votes last round)

Battler 3 Career: Bartender

Battler 14 Career: Computer Programmer
Go my Minions!

The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 11:46pm
Battler 3
Bartender

I'm that junky feind who deals in drinks and pumping teens, 

The only ugly being who gets more V's than Rugby teams,

I just need a smile and I'll get you drunk and steamed,

fucks can scream and they can wait like I'm busy dumping cream,

Swing off my funky jeans, fag..I rather grind a cleaveage, 

I mean it, I know the G's you've been dying to be with,

(errr... Fuck... Who am I kidding..)

These perves think I serve drinks and fly like a bird's wing? 

But my nerves been burst in; I struggle to earn thigs, 

I've Undergone the evil bursting of hundreds of thunderstorms, 

My blunders worsened till they stomped and crumbled my mother's warmth, 

No wonder why my vision lacked precision and was stumbled on, 

Im that bug or moth that has never hovered out of the fungal swamp,

Im that busted con.. But my daughter needs to be cuddled and farmed, 

Do something good? This the only job who accepts tattoed knuckes and arms, 

And them hunger knocks are disturbing..they are heard by the whole town, 

They blow the fucking door down if not answered or slowed down, 

But I hold my own ground, it does'nt matter good or bad, 

As long it brings me pounds and helps my daughter cross the path, 

------

You might call it "hypocracy" but I'm giving you the lottery,

And since I'm the authority .. I rather lay it properly,

Money can kill the poverty but this aint the philosophy, 

Coz prophecy can never be collected by your property,

Im not being scholarly but a victim of atrocity,

It sunk the half of me when I mistook the wealth's viscosity,

And honestly...this dude never liked being a wannabe, 

Possibly its just my fucking fate who carries commedy, 

Or probably it's me who was playing the monopoly, 

The drinks I served at bar turned back on me ..ironically

I was exhausted and late.. It was half past the 8,

I departed from there as Sun started to fade, 

My gun gaurded my pay on that darkest terrain,

But them half headed aches managed to spark up again,

I stopped by my gate,the way was blocked by the crates,

As my mental state stayed being assaulted by Hate,

So I stepped right inside.. Tho house looked like a dungen's maze, 

But my eyes caught the TVs projection with the heart jumping at thundering rate

my girls abundant face at the screen; taunting my plundered fate,

"BREAKING NEWS; A TEEN FELL VICTIM TO A DRUNKARD RAPE"

(ha)

Its ironic..... the way my Job has purged me, 

I spent my life serving shots,finally shots have served me, 

Go my Minions!

The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 11:47pm
Battler 14
Computer Programmer

Let me make this quite clear, never under estimate the power of an idea,

I Did the best to educate myself and the next few were to be my years,

A couple of light beers on an afternoon while browsing on the internet,

I took a look at my life and realized why it wasn't gaining any interest,

Reminisced all the fun times gone by and how they all seem to of died,

Insignificant others and indifferent lovers and had they even survived,

I mean i'm kinda a fun guy, so thought of a way for them to realize,

All i needed was space to make up stuff about my life to advertise,

This shits easy why has it taken me years to have this bloody thought,

I understand the mechanics "fuck my job" this is what i really studied for,

I didn't learn all that coded language to not be taking advantage,

What ever damaged caused is worth the risk its something i can manage,

Its not exactly how planned it , but what was just a thought i expanded,

Before i new it what i'd put out there was being highly demanded,

6 months later its hard to understand how much my life has changed up,

Got so many money hungry lame sluts overlooking that my frame sucks

I gained love, money and respect more than ever i could of imagined

By creating the platform so they can make life sound full of attraction

Blogs of fun and thrills, guns and kills, how mothers sons could feel,

Stories of when drugs get real, to angled photo's of mugs revealed,

Soon that love turned to hating, in turn a birthed the realization,

So I sealed the deal, a seven figure some to take away my only creation,

Because i gave birth to a monster, that will forever plague the nation,

Gripping people lives tighter than an anaconda, i began to hate it,

Maybe i could of could of got more but what i got i was happy to take it

Went from being lonely in a basement, without an ounce of social mobility,

To taking sole responsibility for the downfall of society's social abilities

I just wanted some attention but the fruition i couldn't hold it see,

Birthed a whole generation of girls who's first words were Notice me,

A voyeur to the world i just wanted to be a part of it, not knowing half of it,

But the gravity of the situation came down like the apple fell far from it,

A social networking entrepeneur only remembered by a couple Nerds,

Can't put into words how glad i didn't become like Mark Zuckenburg,

Now no matter how my life is i hold tight my privacy,

But know that's almost an impossibility "oh the irony"

Now i live my life quietly, happy that no ones desiring me

but the grass ain't greener be careful what you aspire be.

Go my Minions!

Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2015 at 5:08am
Bartender - I felt you were very creative with your approach. The abstract metaphors were refreshing. Biggest falter was the stanza starting with the hypocricy/lottery line. I felt that scheme is overused and the content to that was off topic for the most part. Aside from that I enjoyed your rhyme scheme and you maintained a balance flow. 

Programmer - Felt your story was more direct and consequentially adding depth to your direction on this topic. Your beginning quarter really was lacking in terms of the writing mechanics. It improved around halfway through and wasnt bad the rest of the way. I liked how you had plenty of forethought in terms of exactly what you wanted to write about. I feel you had the better angle on the topic.

Tough vote for me here. Both had portions of inconsistency, however I think the bartender fell off more solidly for his portion. Bartender had a better use of writing mechanics but the Programmer had a better angle, and arguably a more entertaining verse overall. I think thats enough to win the vote.. Super close battle though, good showing from both

+1 Programmer

Kiki Spirez View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 68-26-0
Form: WWWWLW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2015 at 2:40pm
Battler 3- You had the hardest job to write for, imo. Cos people will drop Opens constantly about clubs, bars, getting fucked up, pouring drinks, checking out chicks, etc. However you made up for this disadvantage by dropping some quality bars (more V's that rugby players had me dead), and you also took it a different direction, and tied it all up with a clever bar at the end.

Battler 14- If you had dropped this in an Open Mic, i'd have propped it like crazy. Nice relaxed style, but you were very composed with your wording and use of multi's. Was an interesting take on success and fame, and whether the grass is greener, etc. However, whilst Battler 3's piece was a solid and clear story, I felt like yours was more of a pondering. It's like you were day dreaming about an issue, rather than attacking it, maybe you needed to be more ruthless, seeing as though it is a competition.

Both dope - but MVGT- Battler 3.
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Crew: Elision

Stats: 41-7-5
Form: WWWWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2015 at 4:53pm
Battler 3:  I think you nailed the topic pretty well.  You had a good amount of stand out lines that flowed really well and actually were quite comical to be honest.  Some lines tho were just worded in a weird way to me.  I think it has to be an accent thing maybe.  For example the rather grind a cleavage line just didnt flow like it should have.  For the most part tho I really liked this verse.  The section with lottery properly philosophy part I think was your weakest section.  Altho I did like the finishing line in that part.  Your last section was your best part.  You flexed your flow and killed the topic.  Also your ending bar was dope and a great way to close it out.

Battler 14:  First thing that font has to be bigger lol but dont worry im not gonna judge anything on that.  I really think you got the raw end with the topics in this battle but still not gonna judge on that.  As for your verse I feel it was an easy read.  Really smooth and to the point.  I feel you had a really nice grasp on the topic and the way this whole thing read was just smooth as fuck.  At time I thought some of your lines were actually too basic.  Maybe a little more creativity could have been displayed.  I reallly liked the notice me line.    I really liked the concept of birthed a monster and how you became to hate it.  Thought that was cool.

Overall:  This was a close battle.  Two completely different styles so its really hard to vote on this. Damn I feel like this all might just come down to preference but MVGT Battler 3.  Technically It wasnt as smooth as his opponents but I feel he had more stand out lines and his concept was just a bit more interesting

great battle

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 7:40pm
3 (Hustle like Russell!!) - decent verse...I like how you broke it up into sections to try & vary your story. I liked your rhyme scheme heavy approach but felt it could've been a lot smoother/subtle. Again (seen it a few battle this round) felt like your rhyming was overshadowing the verse. For me, rhyming should be secondary to progressing and telling a captivating story & I felt like that side of the verse suffered. The story in itself wasn't great, I didn't really buy into it fully if I'm honest & it felt very loosely associated to the topic. You take out the first & last two lines and I don't think any of that is directly tied to the topic at all...and even then I think the idea is a bit tenuous.

For me that's where your verse suffered, I would've liked to seen you push the boundary a bit more with the career and shape your verse more around that. It felt like that was the part of the verse that was the most lacking & for me it's the most important.

14 - Kind of the opposite approach to 3, I think you focused first and foremost on the story...you progressed the narrative well but it felt a bit flat. I think both in the way it read (for me it was a bit more like smooth prose than a sharp rap verse) but also in terms of the character development...you didn't really create much emotion and bring it to life. You want to try and make your characters feel alive, create an emotional connection so the reader cares about the story they're being told & the people within it. You didn't really have that tension, if I was being harsh it was kind of like a dressed up version of "I walked down the street and then I went into the newsagents to get a paper. Then I went and caught the train to work. I read the sports section on the way there, there was an interesting feature about Lance Armstrong."...you're like, yeah, but so what? Why do I give a shit? That said, I did like how you were very descriptive in the way you wrote it, very clear narrative and I did enjoy it...just thought you needed to push yourself a bit more & try and write it how you'd rap it rather than how you'd read it.

Clearly some work to do, but you have a decent understanding of some of the fundamentals and I liked that you first and foremost told a story.

Overall, it's a tough one to vote...I don't think either of you really blew me away with a great concept. I think 14 had a better story, I think 3 had better rhyme approach but could arguably say was equally as lacking in creating a captivating voice for his character (I.e. By time he got to the end I wasn't really bothered what was going to happen to him). So I think on that basis 14 just about scrapes it...I think he did just about a better job of telling a story and therefore gets my vote. It could go either way though.

Vote = 14
nomedic View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Hunger Games

Stats: 35-25-0
Form: WWLLWL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 4:33am

I really liked your flow here shit was smooth as ever the end schemes were written well so as the internals you incorporated in this piece ,plot wise I think you did well on that too the first stanza basically made the closer alot more credible hence the twist gelled in with the rest of your verse ,really great shit was

your approach was okay you touched on some truths the new age is condemned by all the gadgets,apps and etc but I felt your flow was untidy the long line route hurt your delivery and the plot could've been presented better

this battle was okay but I felt thirteen lacked abit on flow and his plot could've been improved 3 was consistent though hence mvgt 3
Zinaii View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 47-27-10
Form: WLNNNL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2015 at 10:41pm
bartender

Interesting very very interesting.....You opened up very smoothly as far as the flow. The opening bars drew me in and I was anticipating where you were going to take this story. In the beginning he sounds like a party guy then at that pause it seemed like reality him and you went in depth with how he really feels on the inside which I thought u did very well.

I've Undergone the evil bursting of hundreds of thunderstorms,

My blunders worsened till they stomped and crumbled my mother's warmth,

No wonder why my vision lacked precision and was stumbled on,
Im that bug or moth that has never hovered out of the fungal swamp,
Im that busted con.. But my daughter needs to be cuddled and farmed,
Do something good? This the only job who accepts tattoed knuckes and arms,

This part was dope as fuck and then the transition in the next multis read awkward to me and it stopped me cold while I was reading through the first time. Although it did still help push the story along with the hunger pains and how he is family man despite the partying. The next set of bars were nice; a little self reflection of the character, further telling me how behind the partying he isnt a happy person. It closed on a pretty high note for me; but my ONLY gripe about it is that It seemed to have just came out of nowhere. When did he do it? there was a gap between when he did it to when he got back home I would have liked to at least see one bar kinda hinting that something had happened. Good irony at the close, overall a very good verse just a few small things I noticed but dopeness none the less.

Programmer

Very neatly structured verse; with an almost effortless flow throughout. The story you described was pretty cool imo, kind of a timeline from how he wanted to make something out of everything he had learned. To finally creating his software, or program (wasnt entirely sure on what exactly he created) to getting attention from women and eventually selling his product. The verse was consistent throughout no problems there. My only gripe with this verse is it came off as somewhat bland imo (i hate to use that word because it was a great verse) but there was just nothing that really wowed me even though everything was done very well. If i look at it from your point of view, ok programmer isnt exactly the most exciting story you can write a topical about and I am taking that into account also. The closer kinda left me a bit disappointed as well; Idk if it's me being greedy but I was just wanting more at the end.

Boy this one is tough. Alright, both verses were dope, both verses had there high points, and both verses had a few low points. As far as overall entertainment value, I'd give that to bar tender. His verse was not written as smoothly and as consistent as the programmer, but the bartender had a few parts in his verse where he was rhyming his ass off. With that being said, bartender gets my vote, I was more entertained reading his verse but both emcees did their thing. Great battle both
Brotha Goose View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 10-10-0
Form: LWLWLL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 9:12pm
Battler 3:
Dope fucking verse! Flow was on point and the Multis, internals sick as fuck. Really enjoyed where you went with this story, very unexpected. I was hooked from the start, it began at a fast pace and ended with a bang....literally! Top notch verse here.

Battler 14:
Story was decent, I think you worked the concept pretty well. Flow was kinda hard to catch, but once I got past the first 6 bars I picked it up. Some of your Multis were mismatched imo so I was stumbling a bit. Bars were stretched per say, but the lack of internals kinda killed you. As far as topic goes you were on point, but your verse was basic as far as construction imo. Not saying it was bad, just not on the same level as your opponent.

MVGT Battler 3, imo this was a land slide victory. Battler 3's verse had better construction, better rhyme schemes and an overall better read
U.N.L.M. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 23-15-0
Form: WWWWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 9:53pm

Battler 3: I'm a bit mixed on this one. I know I liked it, but I feel like it could've been a killer verse. I really loved the closing line and the concept you had behind this. I just thought the layout of the piece was a bit fast and disjointed. Or maybe if the incident of your daughter getting raped was more tied to the drinks he served? Like he served the drinks to the guy who eventually raped his daughter. It just seemed like the beginning took a while to get going and sometimes the rhyming seemed more important than the content/wording and then you threw in that last section with a short narrative about going home and seeing the news. It just seemed a bit underdeveloped. I feel it would've been stronger if you focused more on a narrative of the day that the shots served your narrator. Just my personal preference there, and having the twist at the end be a bit more of a shock. No doubt that first little section was nice, loved the opener...And to be honest, I liked each part on its own for the most part...it just didn't seem to fit and progress naturally as a whole. Still, it was a good verse and I definitely enjoyed many phrases within the piece..."prophecy can never be collected by your property" was one i did enjoy...I also liked the twisted humor and tone your character had. Made it an enjoyable read. Good job. 

Battler 14: I also liked this idea with the computer programmer. Creating something that does unintended consequences. For whatever reason, though, your piece didn't read as fluidly to me as your opponent's did. I can't really pinpoint why though. It just reads with less flair and personality. For instance, your opponent's verse had a distinct voice and way of writing that fit his narrator/career (or at least IMO it did). Whereas yours felt a bit more lifeless which may have been intended considering the career as well. I'm not sure though. Sometimes the wording was awkward for me. Think the 2nd line of the piece was poorly phrased "and the next few were to be my years". "Reminisced all the fun times gone by" is a bit weird - would've gone with "reminiscing about". "but what was just a thought I expanded" "before i new it what i'd put out there was being highly demanded". These are just other lines I felt were just a bit off. I know it's lame, but spelling mistakes and poor grammar can really throw me off considering I'm reading it as it's written. It's little things like that. Makes a difference as a polished verse presents itself much better. Plus, having to reread lines or doing a double take makes the reading experience much more difficult and disjointed and affects my enjoyment of a verse. I think the idea was very good. I think the presentation/execution of the idea was not the best and could've been done in a more exciting way. Doing a little more "showing" with your narrative, instead of "telling" I think could really help this type of verse. For instance, instead of saying "i took a look at my life and realized why it wasn't gaining any interest" you might have the topical start off with the guy getting denied by a girl he likes or just not getting noticed at his job. That way you're not just saying "this guy has no social life"...you're showing it through a narrative...and then having that progress to him going up to his room and coming up with a great new program to get noticed. That way it kind of flows as a story rather than writing a verse that covers a long period but doesn't really delve deeply into anything specific. Nothing wrong with your approach, it just comes off as more of a summary of a long career which doesn't make me really emphasize with the character or anything. Hopefully, that makes sense in where I'm coming from. I also understand there is a line limit but I just think your idea was a good one that could've been presented more creatively. Still, a good concept and solid verse. 

Sorry for the rambling. Anyway,

I think Battler 3 did a better job developing a verse that captures the voice and deals with given career. I think both had great ideas for their verses. I think both also didn't execute as well as I think they could've given my tastes (again, just my own selfish preferences haha)...still, battler 3 had the cleaner and better worded verse with a little more dimension in it given the humor and tone. Good job to both with coming up with some creative angles to these two concepts. Shame you haven't gotten more feedback/votes. 

V/Battler 3
Manc View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 82-4-2
Form: WWWWNW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 9:56pm
Bartender - lived it from start to finish. Very strong rhyme schemes and none repetitive. Felt like I was reading a Point Blank verse, so if that's not you, that's a compliment.
Absolutely loved the flow in the third set. It all rolled off the tongue perfectly on the first time reading it, so that's always a good thing. Liked the little interlude after the first set. It was structured well and set the reader up nicely for a change of flow in the second set.
I enjoyed this & especially liked the angle you took with your chosen subject. Closer was nice too. A strong finish is always a big plus.

Computer Programmer - You had a really tough subject ere. Tough to make it exciting to read too. I lived the opening bar. The flow was A1, and a strong opener is always a must, IMO. It got more simple from then on in the next few bars, and I'm wondering where the story was gonna start going. The 'Bloody Thought/Studied for' bar is where it started to pick up with the technicality, but then the next bar was a bit strangely worded n it just took the edge off the build up in the prior two lines. The 'Changed up/Frame sucks' bar brought it back again. Nicely worded and a decent flow for the reader, and I liked the use of your internals ere. From then on, you certainly changed it up technically, and again, great use of some internals gave the bars a sting in their tails. Nice little 'final thought' type of advice in the closer lol that finished it up nicely. I've gotta say though, if I'm being totally honest - I didn't quite get the angle you took. I mean, I got it - but I'm saying I didn't connect with it in regards to the job role.

MVGT Bartender. I felt like the angle taken with the subject, made more sense. And the technicality of the whole verse was more superior.
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 12:01am
5-2 
Battler 3

Along with some extra votes.