The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevation Help Center
    Posted: 07 February 2015 at 4:20am
Elevation Help Center 

I came up with this idea after seeing DressToKill's other help thread and thought one person won't always be there to help the other members. Also that an outlook/advice from different members together may also be very helpful as well. 

Basically, what this is, is a help center with 5 members that will help the writers that are looking for help with their verses whether it's text or audio. You can either PM individually and/or post in this thread and whomever is signed up as one of the Tutors is obligated to help. I think 5 Tutors is a good number. I went ahead and put DTK on here because I know he will accept it, as well as myself. I'm looking for 3 other members that would be open to help those in need of it. 

Tutors

DressToKill
The Law
Cuba

Feel free to start utilizing this thread at anytime as well. It's open to everyone. 

Edited by The Law - 07 February 2015 at 1:06pm
Go my Minions!

Shankley View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 37-43-1
Form: WNLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shankley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2015 at 3:42pm
Great idea Law you are full of 'em lately, great job. I gotta question about making punchlines and making them hit hard. In my battle against Trizz Zin said this bar could have been a "haymaker" but i'm not sure what's wrong with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can go ahead "Chalk The Body" of where this bitch lies
When I say Empire Falls I'm not talking 'bout a winner of the Pulitzer Prize

The Amount of Fucks given: Zero
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2015 at 5:28pm
Two issues...1) specificity / tenacity of the diss...ignoring the play, how hard does "when I say Empire falls" feel? You could've been more aggressive and potentially had a better setup line (as it talked about him as an individual rather than his crew)...I think if you'd tweaked the setup and been a bit more aggressive in your wording it would "feel" harder

2) Crispness of the punch itself...you want to get from the diss in as few syllables as possible otherwise, again, it can feel like the punch is a little weaker than it needs to be...to me you could've transitioned across slicker. And you also suffer a little bit from the vagueness of the punch...I get what you're going for, it's meant to be like dismissive type punch, but you really need your flow to be razor to accentuate it otherwise it can be a bit lacklustre.

You maybe could've considered flipping it around and have the punch as "see Empire Fall" as that naturally leaves the attention on the play which is the strongest aspect. I.e. "the Pulitzer prize ain't the only time you'll see Empire Fall" or whatever.
Bizzy Hustle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bizzy Hustle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 6:45am
I love this section right here. A place where everybody can polish there craft by getting help from fellow members.

I wanted to work on one of my flows to improve my arsenal when it comes to rapping/battling. Am working on the chopper style flow like the tech 9, twista, or krayzie bone. I want to learn how I get that flow to it's highest potential, what is it's rhyme scheme, flow, ect.

Hoping someone can help me
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 7:37pm
That's a very audio based question, what you'll probably find is if you go for that approach verbally you'll give yourself an additional road block because you need to have the technical skill (I mean physically) to be able to pull that off...as a beginner you'll need to learn breath control & that style of rap requires you to master it. For me, it's a very physical thing so not something you're going to learn on a board where you're going to get tips mainly on writing technique...

From a writing point of view it's not really any different, per say, if you were to google some Twista lyrics for example you'll see he can have quite basic multis (just a lot of them!!)...essentially what these guys are doing is extended the effective 'beats per bar' they can use because they can squeeze more content in. Or to come at it from another angle, they can have longer lines because they can spit more content.

In terms of a 'chopper style', it's really about understanding stressed/unstressed syllables and the relationship between those...which is something that is basically as old as the written verse format.
Bizzy Hustle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bizzy Hustle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 8:40pm
Do you have any examples of what it is a stressed and unstressed syllables? I know I can find some on google but I wanted to hear it some from you.
SAFETY OFF-Bizzy Hustle
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:13pm
I could give you a basic answer...but might as well give a more 'active' example:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bigpunisher/beware.html

This is as good example as any because he switches between faster and slower lines - yet you can still understand what he's saying, which is pretty useful!!

So the convention is x = unstressed, / = stressed

Wit' a twist of black in the brow, twist ya cap and I'm out
Sleep wit' the fish-dips for yappin' too loud

^^ random line from Big Pun - Beware....setup is:

x x / x / x x / x x / x x /
x / x / / x x / x /

Notice how the start of the second line feels like it's slowed down a little yet he's still got 5 stressed syllables in the line...yet significantly less overall syllables. Or in other words, he rattles thorough the unstressed but can maintain the overall flow of the line. It helps that he has a multi rhyme in there, but the point is it's the interplay between the stressed and unstressed that does it...because he can rhyme 3 stressed syallbles but it would fuck up the rhythm, flow and overall feel of the verse.

You need to be careful not to have too many unstressed together, notice how it's mostly either x/ or xx/ as a structure, don't see many // together and when you do it adds a quirk into his rhythm pattern. Often in the middle of a line as almost a 'break'...which helps to amplify that 'machine gun' style feel to it.

If he had the same structure and approach but took the rhymes out it'd still work...he doesn't really rely on the rhymes to feed that rhythm he has, it's just an accentuation.
AxyRocker View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 23-40-1
Form: LLLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AxyRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 4:55pm
Some fuckin dope way to flip?? I usually flip in my battles but haven't been getting it sharp edged lately! Any ideas?
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 5:26pm
If your gonna flip a bar. Go for the strongest bar, so it takes away from it's potency. Most bars aren't worth flipping, and if you do make sure it's a good one because it's easier to flip stuff than come up with an original idea. The onus is on you, as you have that advantage.
#bananas
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2015 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by AxyRocker AxyRocker wrote:

Some fuckin dope way to flip?? I usually flip in my battles but haven't been getting it sharp edged lately! Any ideas?

Ransom gave a decent answer but I'll expand on it a little...

As you can tell from his answer, when you flip you are automatically drawing a direct comparison between your verse & his...if you don't execute the flip well it's going to count against you heavily in most voters eyes. I wouldn't necessarily go for his strongest line if you are going to do a shit flip against his best bar, but you have a killer comeback to his second best punch.

Basically, a flip is your chance to get back at your opponent...if he calls you a bitch but goes around the board acting like AK's long lost sister then turn that around on them. In other words, the best flips need to be razor sharp disses & personalised against your opponent. Flipping shows that you are sharp, intelligent and understand the purpose of the battle. A bad flip shows you are uncreative, don't know what you're doing, and draws attention to the strongest aspect of his verse while highlighting you aren't as strong. I.e. A great way to lose a battle.

Bottom line, don't force your flips...they need to be relevant & if you don't execute it well people will hold it against you more than a regular punch that didn't work as well.
Arthur View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Text Rank: #5
Stats: 36-7-0
Form: WWWWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 2:45pm
I'll help tutor. If you feel I'm worthy lol
DressToKill View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 78-62-0
Form: LLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DressToKill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by DjFlame DjFlame wrote:

I think when I write sometimes, it sounds great in my head but when written down, it looks awful. I'm specifically talking about this:
http://www.lyricalassault.co.uk/forum/preincarnated_topic39272.html

Thanks in advance.

What specifically do you dislike about your verse? Personally I enjoyed it, well written with good content what else could you ask for? Why are you not satisfied?
The original comeback kid
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 6:08pm
Being self critical is good...that's how you can focus on improving. Obviously there's a difference between saying "I could've worked in more metaphors" or "I could've stepped up my wordplay" to "I am fucking shit" and getting down on yourself.

I don't think the concept is overdone, it was a cool drop...obviously you want to mix it up, but there's nothing wrong it once in a while
Sky Scrapur View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sky Scrapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2015 at 5:14pm
I think Flame is a fast rapper.

That's a helpful idea Law. I salute that.
thryjoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-2-1
Form: LQL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thryjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2015 at 5:47pm
I think this is a good idea.
they told me it was reality, but it's really all in your mind.
Storm $hadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-4-0
Form: LLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Storm $hadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2015 at 12:48am
LA always with good stuffs to help out newbies...

Wanna start a personal problem similar to a bone in a neck(i'm a new here and also in rapping so please be basic and vivid with the explanation)

1. When i wanna start a verse, i will have ideas on how to wrute the first 2bars but how to start or word to start with is always the problem..

2. After few bars, i will stripped of what to write.. Instead, another ideas different from what i'm writing/rapping will pop in..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic