Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 41-7-5
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Chasing The Dragon" -Illiad Series
    Posted: 24 March 2017 at 1:48pm

"Chasing The Dragon"

I'm not lookin' for Heroin but I've been chasin' the dragon-
Can't put a face to this Maverick or place his advancements-
Late night stake outs Casing this savage-
My entire trace has been erased, complacent & stagnant-
Face it he hasn't left a clue... just a taste for his madness-
Watching you kill my father really got my mind twisted quick-
For years you left my spine tingling with blind differences-
Should I join a life of fire in this crime syndicate-
Cus at any time I could be aligned from divine distances-
While my time inches by cus I can't find witnesses-
The Dragon is breathing all this heat on the street-
So I did the opposite & became NY chief of police-
All that evil unleashed on innocent people he reached-
Hell is rising & I can feel it underneath each of my feet-
I'm reachin' my peak when My phone rings from a certain informant-
"yeah Jim you got good news or you just gonna worsen my torment"-
"Believe me Chief I have a great lead and this persons important"-
He nervously warned me that he saw the Dragon and he could fire back-
But now we got an audio visual through all tha' years of wire taps-
I'm split if I should go rouge or try to stay within the numbers-
I need to rid my mind of this decay and out my slumber-
Waited years for this vengeance & when the prey becomes the hunter-
I know who and where he is so I'm gonna beat him at his own game-
climbing the roof thinkin' how the bullet gonna reach & eat thru his whole frame-
A slow pain, I can see my breath on this cold winter night-
I could go to jail for murder as I dive my soul into fright- 
Damn I'm gettin bold as I grip the trigger, holdin' it tight-
My heart is ready & my feet steady as I wipe the sweat from my brow-
heart beat is deafening now, beads of sweat drop from the roof like confetti to crowds-
Will I ever get down from this horrible high, I'm filled with this sorrow inside-
I feel the Dragon has borrowed my mind, He's in my cross hairs I'm suppose to pounce when-
I finally realize I turned into the evilness that I hate most about him.....

iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 2:14pm
What up Ex...

So I'm glad you contributed to this. It kind of felt off a bit after Dizzy & I posted some things for this. (Apologies to anyone else who wrote for it). You somehow mastered being able to use 3 bar schemes and it be fine. Normally, it drives me nuts. But for some reason, could be wording execution, I'm not really sure but it's what I'm going to call an "off-pattern" technique. Examples below:

I think the key for this really lies in your ability to drop either a powerful bar or a bar that is a pivotal intriguing part of the piece. For example... the source calls the chief to tell him he has seen the Dragon (important) and the other is "prey becomes the hunter" which is just powerful. I think that really is how you can get away with that. 

Moving along to the rest of the piece I thought it was very on point. You did not sacrifice content for rhyming however they both worked in unison. You really picked up the descriptions and imagery towards the end. Seeing your breath, fear of jail, sweat on the brow, heartbeat is deafening where all back-to-back contributors to engage the reader into what the chief is going through. Very good there. The ending... how intriguing is that! That hatred that was built up and the need/want to go through with it gave him that light-bulb moment as he knew he was going to be exactly as the dragon he hated.  This came full circle for me man. Great work.

rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 5:38pm
yea man, i was actually going to vote on this, but i hit the submit button and it was already moved to the archive, so this at least gives me a chance to comment. I like that you really put the imagery and dialogue in the front. . the flow was good, but i seems as if you would put slack on the leash but pull it back in the right moments. So when i was expecting it to falter a bit, you pulled it right back into the pocket. I personally didnt really like the topic this go around, but im glad there are writers like you around here that can take a topic like this and make it enjoyable and entertaining to read. You guys had a really good battle and produced top notch verses . . . good shit fam. 
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 9:25pm
This was dope man...your scheme was advanced without overshadowing (were a couple of points I thought you could've been a little slicker, trimmed a syllable or whatever but considering you had such a tight/complex scheme that was pretty impressive) and I really liked the way you progressed the story. The ending was real nice. The challenge when you're interacting with another character in the series is how you write something like this that takes it somewhere but you don't just end up killing another character!! I thought you dealt with that perfectly. Really enjoyed the ending, and I liked the balance between your character wanting to do good in response to your meeting with The Dragon and wanting revenge. It was a really authentic and convincing character and story, which is exactly what I look for in characterisation.

Only thing I'd say is you had two real nice pieces of imagery in there...the chasing the Dragon part and the confetti part. I would've liked to see you more the balance a little bit more towards the imagery and a little away from the rhyming, coz the imagery is what brings it to life. I think you have the skill to make it fluid without needing to have such an intense scheme. That would take it to the next level. But overall it's hard to critique too hard because this was a real high quality drop and a real enjoyable read too.
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 12:14am
Exo The Flex Show

I'm not lookin' for Heroin but I've been chasin' the dragon-
Can't put a face to this Maverick or place his advancements-
Late night stake outs Casing this savage-
My entire trace has been erased, complacent & stagnant-

out the gate the stutter/pause on erased was sick. using the word Maverick is a gooder. all and all, dope opening.

Face it he hasn't left a clue... just a taste for his madness-
Watching you kill my father really got my mind twisted quick-

uh-oh, Exo on his Ingio Montoya right now lol.

For years you left my spine tingling with blind differences-

word placements on deck.

Should I join a life of fire in this crime syndicate-
Cus at any time I could be aligned from divine distances-
While my time inches by cus I can't find witnesses-
The Dragon is breathing all this heat on the street-
So I did the opposite & became NY chief of police-

shit. did we just go departed? the Dragon plays are nice. im digging the angle.

All that evil unleashed on innocent people he reached-
Hell is rising & I can feel it underneath each of my feet-
He nervously warned me that he saw the Dragon and he could fire back-

excellent use of building the narrative. brief convo, full of story. slick.

But now we got an audio visual through all tha' years of wire taps-
I know who and where he is so I'm gonna beat him at his own game-
climbing the roof thinkin' how the bullet gonna reach & eat thru his whole frame-
A slow pain, I can see my breath on this cold winter night-
I could go to jail for murder as I dive my soul into fright-

the moral dilemma got me too bro. im like is the chief gonna throw away all these years, the pension, the watch, just for some clown?

Damn I'm gettin bold as I grip the trigger, holdin' it tight-
My heart is ready & my feet steady as I wipe the sweat from my brow-
heart beat is deafening now, beads of sweat drop from the roof like confetti to crowds-
Will I ever get down from this horrible high, I'm filled with this sorrow inside-
I feel the Dragon has borrowed my mind, He's in my cross hairs I'm suppose to pounce when-
I finally realize I turned into the evilness that I hate most about him.....

ah shit! you just gonna leave us hanging? did he go through with it? what the fuck.

I loved what you did within the line limit. the story had a banging pace. I felt right in the mix. the different tones, and subtle scheme switches kept everything fresh for me, as a reader. you've created a real good backdrop. you got some real solid characters. this was real dope man.
#Bananas
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 3:29am
Ill scriptz, Rhet, neek and Cuba....I'm really feeling the fact you guys liked this verse...I'm proud of this.   Thanks for the feed homies

SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:38pm
Man...

You killed this shit in cold fuckin blood my dude.

Hell, this was more than just a verse. It was an American take on an Asian crime drama. I could easily picture a young Donnie Yen playing the lead in a a gritty New York backdrop. Your words instantly formed pictures and scenes in my mind. You had very cinematic moments of writing in this drop. It was dark, gritty, and intense like a Nolan film. In terms of flow you're in the echelon of top tier writers when it comes to that. You effortless controlled the rhyming while delivering line after line of visual aid. It's a beautiful thing to observe and extremely impressive to read. Great entry fam. I'm gonna read it a few more times just for fun.

Peace..
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 2:26am
Yo SELF I appreciate those kind words my friend.  It means a lot coming from you

daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 2:38am
ill feed tomorrow and be ready for a response sons. Aint nobodu chasing duh dragon wigga. I gotchu sonzoo
Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 1:48pm
Exo this piece was crafted to perfection..

Your wording and stage setting imagery is always creative as fuck. These types of verses you've mastered. I find it incredible how you present each line and tie it all together. Always enjoy reading your work.
daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 1:53pm
The opener got right into the dirty dirty. Nice making sure you aren't a heroin addict lol. You painted a nasty picture of The Dragon. Nice that you incorporated that he killed your father and there is revenge in your blood. that makes it a little more personal when you are reading this. Gives good intent and reasoning behind your character. All your mechanics are on point as usual and topical writing is dope as shit as always. Ill have a response to keep this side of the story popping and add more depth. The ending was completely unexpected. I was sure you were going to kill my character off like an asshole lol. You didn't though so boomshakalaka.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic