Author
-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Crew: Renegades

Text Rank: #1
Stats: 90-4-1
Form: WWWWNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 6:24pm
Fix = LOL

Mayweather in MMA = completely irrelevant, Jay's response to this on the previous page says almost everything I would have. I'll just add that yes, they both fight...rugby and American football both throw balls to cross a line, cricket and baseball both hit balls with bats... tennis and badminton both go at it with racquets... no one would expect anyone from the one sport to beat or outdo someone from the other...it's just this whole macho thing with 'fighting' that people are saying 'oh but Floyd wouldn't win in a cage', or Floyd wouldn't win in a 'real' fight...who gives a shit?!?!?! Yes, newsflash, 5'8 Floyd Mayweather isn't the toughest man alive!!! Conor wanted to try boxing because there's so much more money in it, that's it. That might change 50 years from now but right now that's what it is.

I actually thought it would go the distance because I wasn't sure Floyd would be able to knock him down and I thought, given he has had weeks and weeks and weeks, that Conor would be in better shape

Having said that, I seemed to miss Floyd's prediction in which he said the fight won't go the distance...if I had heard him say that, I would have changed my prediction to reflect it. Knowing he was going in with that mentality is a difference-maker

And yeah, Conor was in worse physical shape than I expected and Floyd in even better shape than expected (phenomenal really, at 40). The referee saved Conor's image and ego so much by stopping it before he went down. Conor's instinctive reaction that he wanted to keep fighting is not something he'll still be thinking to himself now he's had time to think about it

The outcome was never in question, beyond a 'puncher's chance' if Conor had come charging at Floyd and flattened him with a flailing arm. He was never gonna lay a meaningful glove on Floyd in any kind of conventional, legal, boxing approach. That goes for pretty much any experienced boxer never mind Floyd Mayweather. MAYBE, on that evidence, Conor could put up a good fight against a journeyman...but I still doubt it. And nobody would watch that shit.

I don't wanna diminish the whole 10 rounds thing, I don't, but that fight quite clearly could have been over as early as 6 or maybe 7 if that had been what Floyd was after (and that's taking the first 2 rounds off to take a look). But the first time Conor actually took a punch from Floyd was in the third and when he went to his corner at the end of the round you could see he just realised what he was dealing with. The fight was over then and the look on Floyd's face told you that too. It was 10 rounds but Floyd honestly wasn't worked at all. He took a decent uppercut and was completely unfazed (which goes to show what punching power is from a regular joe, to an MMA fighter, to a boxer) and spent the rest of the fight in a glorified spar with the guy

This is no achievement on Floyd's part other than the marketing of the fight (which was hysterical nonsense but it achieved its desired outcome)... From a personal POV, I guess he also gets some credit for making his 50th a completely unknown quantity and essentially putting his legacy on the line (losing that fight would have been tragic, whereas losing as Bolt just did in his final races for example wouldn't have been as bad...sure he would have got some abuse because of how unpopular he is in certain circles, but in LEGACY terms, the damage just wouldn't compare to losing a boxing match to a martial artist)

Again, as has been said, Conor knew he was almost certainly gonna lose going in and this was all about his payday and his profile. If he can leverage this and potential other boxing matches in his negotiations with UFC then I'm sure he will. Fact is, even he will have known he was only ever gonna win the fight if he came out swinging and got lucky, and the fact he made no attempt to do so (not REALLY) probably came on advice that if he doesn't give the massive audience at least something resembling a fight then it would have a pretty adverse affect on his "brand" (which it would have, despite the fact he would remain marketable) so he essentially went in with a gameplan to not get humiliated and therefore defeat was as good as guaranteed...so maybe it WAS a fix!!!
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic