Forum LockedText Battle Archive: Topical Battle: RosenBoss vs Crimson Juice (2-2)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RosenBoss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-2-0
Form: LL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RosenBoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topical Battle: RosenBoss vs Crimson Juice (2-2)
    Posted: 15 September 2018 at 3:33pm
The picture is the topic. 16 lines. Verse due in One Week

Edited by Crimson Juice - 26 October 2018 at 12:39pm
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 4:04pm
Rendering a animate my will is to create,
splattings of colour brings to life my mosaic,
I'm tasked to formulate a portrait,
a mirrored view that could resonate in the house of Tate,
To create a piece that's grand,
like clothes on a line so from house to Museum it can hang,
With brush in hand the image starts to expand,
i add a textured effect by mixing in sand,
With each stroke my desire is to invoke,
emotions that prod & pull in the viewer,even poke,
To raise a curiosity like a fire that's been stoked,
so it calls out to them like it just spoke,
I blend colour on my pallet like i'm whisking up batter,
i make it a paste to avoid any splatter,
Vibrant tones produced using my gray matter,
in my minds eye this pallet then becomes a platter,

Edited by Crimson Juice - 17 September 2018 at 4:56pm
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
RosenBoss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-2-0
Form: LL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RosenBoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 11:39pm
Society has forced me to follow conformity
Stripping away any piece of my self identity
Fading away to become another blurred image
Just another lost soul without any privilidge
But I'm tired of trying to hide the burning desire
I am more than a blank stare inside there is a fire
The mirror reflects a man with a blank canvas
I think it time to see if the world can handle this
I know I'm greater than the man I pretend to be
Intead of a blurred face the photos will rember me
I'm going to be the life of the party the light of the room
No more being a wallflower I'll paint the town soon
It's time to rise up and show off my true colors
Fireworks explode and soon I'll be off to show others
So much joy I can't contain it
Life is my pallet and now I exclaim it!
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 9:04am
Don't forget this one, guys!
#Bananas

Absolute Abomination View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 3-3-0
Form: LLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Absolute Abomination Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 4:59am

This vote has been accepted by a moderator.

CJ
I dug the imagery but, this read really poorly to me, and while it's most likely due to our different interpretations of the topic I feel like flow should be the most important thing here. It's good you didn't keep all the lines the same length, adds to the creativity aspect of the topic, but it just sounded...bad. Not seeing alliteration, the transitions from soft sounding syllables to harsh sounding ones was off. Again maybe it's just my differing interpretation but I feel like art should be fluid. At least that's what I get from this picture. I do not get that from yourn verse.
I really like the single line "vibrant tones produced using my gray matter", but hate how it ends "pallet then becomes a platter".
Idk man ive read some good shit from you, but this aint it.

RosenBoss
CJ's strength was imagery, you beat him in this almost immediately. The first two bars are great and is perfectly aligned with what I thought when I saw the picture. Your lines reference it being an incomplete piece and creates a character that's unsure of his life, he knows he wants more but doesn't know how to get there. We go on a small journey (I would have liked to see this extended to a open mic verse, could be much longer). It's a core story-telling concept -- Conflict (lack of belonging and self-identity) and resolution (breaking out of his shell and going to change what he perceives is his destiny), and an overall simple idea that you executed really well. The lines flow mostly well, I would have liked to see a bit of diversity in line length.

Vote goes to Rosen.
Show me a fortress and I'll show you a ruin.
Ridley Squat View Drop Down
Street Team
Street Team

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 9-6-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ridley Squat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 7:22am

CJ

You have some intriguing word choices here, and got me googling on a couple of occasions ... the first being 'a animate' right at the start, and that did break the flow for me before it even started.
If it was a noun it would be 'an animate', but I'm pretty sure it's only a verb or adjective though ... but if you had said 'as animate' (so it could read as an adjective), then my quibble is fixed ... and I can see it's now a pretty dope first 2 lines.
(The other one I queried was 'splattings', cos I feel like splatting isn't a noun, but I couldn't be bothered to confirm this).
So, that's the first 2 lines, but after that I start to find the rhythm rather difficult to follow.
The narrative overall was decent, and in keeping with the image, but I felt the wording and rhyming was a bit simplistic and in some cases a bit clunky (like the 'like clothes on a line' line).
Sounds like I am just being critical, so here are some random lines other than the opener that I also liked:
Quote With brush in hand the image starts to expand,
i add a textured effect by mixing in sand,
Quote To raise a curiosity like a fire that's been stoked,
so it calls out to them like it just spoke,

RB

I felt this flowed pretty well throughout, I can see that some thought was put into that.
And touches like "I'm tired of trying to hide...." with the repeated hard 'I' sound ... whether planned or not, or noticed or not, does help with that.
The end rhyming comes across OK at first glance, but on closer inspection is just one and two syllable rhymes at best, so definitely room for more complexity here.
(Funny though that where you did have a decent multi, you sabotaged it with a blatant typo, "pretend to be" / "rember me").
Speaking of which, "identity" would have gone well with that too, however, how it was used in the opener, I would say doesn't work. You could argue that "conformity" / "identity" share 2 identical syllables so they must rhyme!
But I'd say it's more about which are stressed and unstressed syllables.
So "con-FORM-ity" / "I-DENT-ity" don't work too well IMO.
As for the overall content, there was clear relevance to the picture without being to literal and coming across flat because of it.
I thought the concept used was good, but execution-wise I felt something was missing.
I liked ...
Quote But I'm tired of trying to hide the burning desire
I am more than a blank stare inside there is a fire
Quote I know I'm greater than the man I pretend to be
Did NOT like ...
Quote privilidge
Would have much preferred ...
Quote privilege

So, nothing particularly wowed me here, but both bringing their own elements to what probably resulted in a close battle.
But for me, for a more creative approach and a smoother read ... MFVGT RosenJim
Smoothtung View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 25-8-3
Form: WWWLWN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smoothtung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 2:03pm

Uhhhh. Tough one. Rosen you took the shell of a man approach, I like the idea and some of the bars but I felt like you could've went deeper. I would've liked to have seen that.

Crimson you went with the whole I'm an artist approach which was what I was expecting someone to do. Which is not good. But I appreciated some of the vocab. Unlike Ridley I was able to follow the flow.

I wasnt thoroughly impressed with either verse but the one I like more was CJ.

Vote = CJ
Kiki Spirez View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 68-26-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiki Spirez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 3:11pm

Before I compare the two, and state the positives, I will say that both of you slightly lessened the impact of your pieces with some sloppy wording.

splattings of colour brings to life my mosaic,
I'm tasked to formulate a portrait,

Society has forced me to follow conformity
Stripping away any piece of my self identity

Both of you fucked the flow a bit by not having a clean end multi. Don't get me wrong, big fan of half rhymes and that, but sometimes stuff just doesn't fit naturally. And in both of these cases, early on in both of your pieces, I found myself hopping over an awkward rhyme.

Crim - Some good lines, showed some knowledge of art lingo which added authenticity to your story. Such as the line about mixing in sand. Bit how a drug dealer Rapper enthasises their lifestyle by talking about the process, you did this, but with a topic. I have seen you go a lot more complex before, and this read as some light - at times awkwardly worded - work from you.

Rosenboss - You had some decent concepts, such as not painting a wallflower but painting the town. I appreciate that you tried to steer it away from being exclusively about art. However you seemed out of ideas towards the end, petering out pretty badly. Also, you really need to concentrate on those end multis. If it reads awkward to you, it will to the audience.

Mvgt Crim.
Arthur View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Text Rank: #5
Stats: 36-7-0
Form: WWWWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:40pm
Haven’t voted in a minute. But here goes.

I like the picture, it’s one that can be taken to mean a few things. CJ went for a more literal approach while still being metaphorical. Phrases like “splattings of colour”, “formulate a portrait” and “textured effect” are basically describing the picture. Yet can have connotations of meaning other things. It’s an okay verse, there are some choppy rhymes which throw the reader off a little bit. Overall good take on the picture and theme.

Rosen, went for a different approach, less literal and more of what the picture might mean and what connotations you can take from it. Phrases like “fading away” and “blurred face” it was more metaphorical than literal. I have to say though, some of the rhymes are choppy. Right at the start two long words that end in “tity” are forced rhymes when put together. And in a topical it really does throw the reader off. Overall i likes the meaning you were trying to convey.

Verdict: it’s tough because they are both of a very similar level. When I went from reading one to the other it was like I had just continued. I can’t say I prefer either of hem based on how they interpreted the picture. So it comes down to the fundamentals of writing and I felt like CJ was slightly better in that regard.

My vote goes to Crimson Juice.
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 12:17am
3-2 to me.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic