LA Magazine: ...:::WWC Mag. Volume 8:::...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...:::WWC Mag. Volume 8:::...
    Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:25am

What’s good everyone. Before we begin, everyone who participated should give themselves a pat on the back. Thank you for your participation and I hope that these little topical exercises prove useful in keeping your pen game on point.

Seems each week WWC records are being smashed, and this week was no different. Count it, a total of 13 verses 9 votes submitted. A special shout out to the people who submitted votes and didn’t even drop a verse in this week’s challenge. Great show of support everyone! Now, let’s get on to what you came here for!

This week’s topic was that of an empty stage with a red curtain backdrop, and a spot light on a microphone, all surrounded in pitch black. I felt this was another topic that was simple on the surface, but with a bit of creative writers ingenuity could produce an extremely deep and meaningful topic. Let’s go see if I will be proven correct!

The Rap Daemon

"I never earned living it, but when spitting it contains
So much fortune, people listen, entertained
By my struggle, but not the same way pricks would be a pain
Amused by my problems, nah, they're wishing to obtain
Knowledge about me 'coz they bare an interest in my name
Always felt small, but now I'm the biggest in the fray"

The Rap Daemon told the story of a person who is used to getting the short hand in life. Picked on, disrespected, maybe pushed around; This character found his weapon through rapping on a mic. I feel that music is a powerful tool because there is little in the world that can be so scary to overcome then standing on a stage and putting your music out there for the entire world to critique. If you can accomplish that, then you are empowered to face the bullies in your life.

DjFlame

"But their faces are so violent and I'm remaining way too quiet
I'm praying to be lifeless though I know my days are finite
Forgetting why I'm here, and my flow stuck and gone
My spitting ain't revered, and they don't love my song
Think "oh shit I'm in the clear" cuz I froze up too long
But then I hear a whisper in my ear, the show must go on"

So Dj wrote from the perspective of a person steeping out on stage like a deer and headlights trying to overcome stage fright. I have a performed myself several times just at small local events and I can certainly relate to overcoming stage fright. This verse was extremely well composed and has those human elements that I think we can all feel.

Smoothtung

"Wanna cry on this stage but decided this wasn't the time nor the place..
I'd like to escape but I sigh and remain in a quiet disdain like I fell in a trance..
I wonder if anyone here is aware that the guy on the stage is a shell of a man..
I remember the day that i spent at the beach.. watching the rain as it fell on the sand.."

So in this verse the character is really struggling with the way he internalizes and sees himself as a person. So much that he wonders if the outside world can read it like pages in a book. He too is trying to find release through that mic, but afraid to let go and open himself to the world around him. If I could lend a little bit of advice going into future weeks, I think you would be well suited to give more attention to each line and even out those syllable counts. You have the concepts grasped, but your flow and syllables just need to be dialed in a bit tighter. But that’s what these challenges are for, simple improvement.

Spume corrupt

"Got warned I’d “catch fire” with the flames I sent
Stacked it higher, damn str8 just to make em bent
Thought I could rock shit live, they’d be caving in
Tried to hide in gameplay, but that’s a lame defence
Not helping me now, laying on the pavement dead"

So this was a tale of a rapper who recklessly got on stage and dissed the wrong person, even after being warned. Some rappers these days need to understand the consequences of going after people in their music. Even if the artist don’t come clapping back, it could be a crazy ass fan waiting for you outside the club. You just never know. This was a quick, but nice scribe here Spume.

Daydizzle09

"When you call me a rapist, its ok you Zeus
Apollo Creed a gape into your tooth
Jazzy Chain riffing always making a fool
By the way, are you still dating smooth?
he gonna be biting at ya taint for food
You hate Day? Thats great, that makes two"

So, as expected (lol) we get another CHAIN diss. Dizz stays at CHAINS neck. . well, like a chain hahaha. . I mean, I don’t know if these disses are going to award you any wins, but the obvious is that it’s just an open opportunity to take jabs when you can. Hey man, that’s the game.

Lord Puente

"Mother rose showering storms
Hurricanes morph empowering her
Reminding us we’re birthed from earth
Without her we are lifeless forms

--We Watch--
Power poles torn, ripped & thrown
Ceilings float exposing domes
Hopelessness burns devouring souls
Cowards roam scouring homes"

LP took a very interesting approach to this week’s topic drawing from his own personal experience of surviving Hurricane Michael. From the sounds of it, you made it out o.k. and I for one am really glad to hear that LP. As a fellow Floridian and having a tree fall through the middle of my home during a Hurricane, I know firsthand how these storms can come through and completely turn your life upside down in one night. R.I.P. to all those killed by Hurricane Michael.

Sammy

"You know what, though? life is like a paper-cut.
rushing to turn our pages. rushing another day cause....what?
"better"'s a page away. Im stuck...in this charade. aww shucks.
I love it when they read my piece. From narratives to soliloquy.
What they don't know is....It's a piece of me."

Sammy gave us an amazing ode to WWC. I see you homie! I like that you took the time to touch on how intimate these rhymes are as they do serve as an extension of ourselves. Always elegantly constructed your style is yours and yours alone Sammy. Even if I tried, I doubt I could duplicate your personal touch on these verses. . and that’s why they are so enjoyable.

Crimson Juice

"I'm the next up to approach this open mic,
I encroach like water does a dyke,
As the tension within me begins to spike,
Its now i want to turn n take a hike,

I look around the audience I hear no sound,"

So Crim, it seems that you struggled with the topic this week. Sometimes, you just have to look around it and draw a concept from maybe a different angle. It could have been about a Comedian who never made it to the stage because he’s lying lifeless in his rehearsal room from a coke overdose. . .  or, it could have been a Dictator who was assassinated before stepping on stage to address his country. . . . hell, if you get stuck on something, throw me a pm, ill help if I can lol . .

regardless , you delivered a more solid verse then you give yourself credit for. Nothing worst then anticipating being the next act, especially if the person before you killed it on the mic and now you have to follow that act. I really wouldn’t be down on myself had I dropped this verse, but the fact that you were uncomfortable with the topic can be seen a bit in the verse.

Concrete

"applause from hundreds or more in wonderous awe
had a hunger for more, extemist type, feel the might
the kingdoms meanest knight to ever yield the mike
dealing strikes, rappers fear me now, I'd tear em down 
swear them out as I hear the sound of a cheering crowd 
sincerly proud, I'll have my part of the black art
avant-garde, bar for bar the avatar of a rap-star "

First off, I just want to say I have never really seen the word “finite” used. . and this makes the second time I have seen it in this week lol. . but moving on from my ramblings. Concrete gave us the story of an aspiring rapper that sort of visualized himself conquering the stage just to get stage freight and never even go in front of the mic. This verse contained some dope multis going off at a rapid fire pace.

The Law

"It's a painted picture of sheep, with immediate laughs
Behind the wool their just hyenas in obedient packs
I gave them what they wanted, a history full of jokes
a filmography of comedy and a few were meant for hope
I lied to myself, bringing joy to those under the weather
Ignoring the noose tightening every time we smiled together"

Glad to see Law drop a verse this week. The highlight was those perfectly timed multiples and nice punches throughout. The verse was well composed and worded so meticulously that it simply rolled off the tongue with no hiccups or stumbles. I hope to see you in the challenge more in the weeks ahead fam. 

New this week, I wanted to give the top 3 verses of the week a little more shine above the rest. Remember, this is for the people by the people. . and the PEOPLE have spoken. I present your WWC Week 9 Top 3 verses. 

CHAIN

"His brain was a gun and a larval host of substance
The reason that the culture ...started re-adjusting...
The standard, and gave other artists his instructions
Following the leader with the dark skin on their Grundig's
Gave us all a template over Marley Marl's production
Jazz musicians riffin', bothered like curmudgeons
Wouldn't recognize it as their offspring, so reluctant...
To give it any props but the market wasn't stuck in..."

So, just a fun fact, I ended up posting a Mobb Deep video for this weeks first listen, but prior to that, I planned on posting 'I Aint No Joke' by Rakim. Then seeing the fine print under the verse, I was like damn. . . That would have been a super dope coincidence. CHAIN once again puts that extremely fluent flow and nice descriptive wording on display and produces another beast of a verse for week 9.

Stalin

"Standing on stage with hands on grenades
Abandoned my faith to reach fans with appraise
My landing was fate escaping my amateur days
Planning to take this ride til the crashing of waves
Actions I take until my rapping is praised
Turning this impractical gaze into actual plays
Sound click, a thousand hits, til it's an average day
Dreams of cash in the safe, my life is practically saved"

So in this verse Stalin speaks of the dream of being able to provide for his family through the successes of music, but it comes to a close as the circumstances around him seemingly gets in the way of coming to fruition. It seems to be a common theme for a lot of potentially up and coming artist that never quite hit that mark. Nice work here Stalin.

iLL Scripturez

Abandoned & alone, back when I was stranded in a home
Micro-managin’ the phone, companioned with a tone
Couldn’t handle the control it demanded as I spoke
Silence blanketed, disowned, understandin’ was postponed
Expandin’ was a hope that landed a syndrome…
Panic hit the throat at random frantically I choke
Walls smotherin’ as my hands begin to close, eyes flutter shut
Like suction cups stuck, mind readin’ the manuscript I flowed
Whispers wisp like whips now propaganda can unfold
This is it, cut on the camera get it poppin’ like Fanta when its cold
Lime-light canvas, steal the shine like bandits with a stone
Commanded but composed hit all my grammar to the note
Word to Hammer, couldn’t quit, never phantom or a ghost
Examined all the folks who were now standin’ lip syncin’
A language that I wrote in a dream then organically awoke
From my sleep & they vanished into smoke…

iLL Scripturez has been one of the most consistent writers in this challenge. I don’t think a week will ever go by that he won’t be considered as a top contender to win any week he submits a verse too. In this verse he told the story of a guy stepping on stage to seemingly kill the mic, then he wakes from a dream and the crowd vanishes from in front of him. Its not so much the concept, but more the intricately weaved language and detail to placement and flow that keeps the reader on the hook. And with that, i present your. . 

TWO TIME, TWO TIME, TWO TIME winner of WWC. . . ill Scripturez

DayDizzle89
iLL Scripturez 3
Sammy 2
CHAIN 1

Lord Puente
The Law 3
Stalin 2
ill Scripturez 1

Neek
Stalin 3
Sammy 2
iLL Scripturez 1

CHAIN
ill ScriptureZ 3
DjFlame 2
Sammy 1

Spume Corrupt
Stalin 3
ill Scripturez 2
The Rap Daemon 1

SmoothTung
Concrete 3
ill Scripturez 2
CHAIN 1

DjFlame
Chain 3
iLL Scripturez 2
The Rap Daemon 1

Crimson Juice
iLL Scripturez 3
Stalin 2
CHAIN 1

Dntplywelwitothers
iLL Scripturez 3
Stalin 2
The Law 1

Concrete
Stalin 3
CHAIN 2
Sammy 1

…:::Totals:::…
iLL Scripturez 20
Stalin 15
CHAIN 8
Sammy 6
The Law 4
Concrete 3
DjFlame 2
The Rap Daemon 2

Week 1 = Nigma
Week 2 = Rhetorical
Week 3 = Spume Corrupt
Week 4 = iLL Scripturez
Week 5 = Rhetorical
Week 6 = Neek
Week 7 = CHAIN
Week 8 = Sammy
Week 9 = iLL Scripturez

Just a reminder that week 10 has been put on hold to give me time to write for an event happening on a different site. I will be back next Monday with a new week and a new topic. .  and I PROMISE the return of my video review which will be narrowed down and focused on the top 3 verses of the week. As always, thank you for all that each and every one of you do. I’ll see you all soon . . same place different time!

Edited by rhetorical - 16 October 2018 at 3:00pm
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:46am
Rhet the gawd. Good shit putting this together and good luck in the PPV
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:46am
Dope job rhet, but shouldn’t this be volume 9?

Congrats iLL
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Lord Puente Lord Puente wrote:

Dope job rhet, but shouldn’t this be volume 9?

Congrats iLL

we are in week 9 of WWC, but there have only been 8 Volumes of the magazine. . remember, Volume 5 was a double feature and covered 2 weeks. 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Nigma Nigma wrote:

Rhet the gawd. Good shit putting this together and good luck in the PPV

thanks fam
The Rap Daemon View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 6-14-0
Form: LWLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Rap Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:11am
Dope magazine. I really felt this week's challenge. Managed to make my entry personal to me, then I read Puente's verse and though I'm in the UK, I felt the tragedy eminating from that piece as if it were close to home. And every entry was smooth this time out 100%.

Congrats iLL on the second win too, your pen deserves the credit.
Faggot
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 12:40pm
Yet again you deliver the goods with these mags,truly dude thanks for the time
and effort you invested here,its definitely appreciated by all of us,Stella write up/
Stella work...Thank You.

Congrats iLL in your 2nd win,as for me you only just pipped Stalin to the post,it was
a close ran affair this challenge (WWC 8)...and props to all for dropping verses and
votes..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 12:44pm
wow... tbh I'm shocked I won. There were too many verses for me to have a shot. Thanks for the votes and the dope participation in this. Rhet, you a real one.
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 1:19pm
Great mag. Congratz iLL 
Go my Minions!

Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 1:59pm
iLL, I’m really happy for you and ima let you finish... but Law had one of the best verses of all time.
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Lord Puente Lord Puente wrote:

iLL, I’m really happy for you and ima let you finish... but Law had one of the best verses of all time.

as long as you let me finish LOL
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:22pm
ahhh shit! congrats, iLL! Well deserved bro

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 4:20pm
god damn. 20 points tho? legit think you got more points this round than I have across all of em. iLL killing the game.

dope mag rhet, dunno how you churned it out and did like 50 other things as well. jesus christ I envy yall energy.
#Bananas
Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 5:15am
Congrats Ill.. well deserved. Dope verse.
+Sick-Witted+
Concrete View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 33-6-0
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Concrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2018 at 7:22pm
Props for the work you put in with this, we're spoiled, you deserve to take a week off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic