Author
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Cuba
    Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:41am
Hello guys and girls. Here's the long awaited interview with the hero we don't deserve but did receive! Before we get in to it though here's some awesome backstory to the interview:

Cuba annoyed me for two weeks straight to do the interview! On three occasions he asked for the interview, I replied by saying that I'm a horrible interviewer and the conversation turned into something completely random causing the following: 

1. Him staying up way longer than he's supposed to because, you know, work and stuff.
2. Me basically trolling him by making all three separate interview request into the exactly same conversation as the previous (this was so awesome).
3. Us finally doing the interview which turned out pretty awesome if you ask me. 

I wanted to ask a shit load of more questions but you know, got to have priorities as I did not want the interview to get convoluted and stuff. Anyway, here we go!

Me:
Ok. Mr. Cuba. Welcome to the glorious interview from me to you. Tell me, how are you feeling this thursday evening?

Cuba:
I'm cool man, watching a bit of Brooklyn 99

Me:
What's that?

Cuba:
Comedy show.

Me:
Not very talkative, are we? Tell me more about it, you dunce.

Cuba:
Haha. It's got that Andy Sandberg in it. Based around a police department. It's funny.

Me: 
Smh... Let's talk about something else because your sentences are shorter than judge rulings in Holland for minor demeanor's, shit. How did you end up on LA?

Cuba:
Oh wow, man, that's like ancient history...it was 14 years ago. Pretty sure it was down to a guy called Mos Infamous who ran a crew called ELITE back in the day. We were friends on the old MSN rap battle boards, think it was MCC. A lot of guys came across from there at the time due to MI.

Me:
I always thought you were high school friends with Scotty or something. Tell me more about how that "relationship" worked out where you turned into a senior mod. I believe that's pretty interesting if I may say so.

Cuba:
I dunno if there's much to say on that front. We both want the best for the site & he needed help. He had an idea around an 'LA council' years ago as a way to transition away from him having to run the show. We've essentially implemented that with the Senior mod structure and he's given us the freedom to pretty much do what we like.

Me:
And ever since then it's been your main mission to ruin my life. Thanks Scooter! Anyway, we gotta go back a bit further into time because I'm curious as to how you got into the whole writing stuff.

Cuba:
What's this, like super ancient history lesson? I think it was old MSN rap chat rooms that had these forums attached to them. So you'd go in the chat room and battle random people on the spot. They had a forum attached to it, where you could have battles as we have them now and it all just developed from there. WannaBattle was the main site for me back then and I spent a lot of time on there.

Me:
Lmao. I knew you were old but shit, that old? You must be at least 84 but I digress. Since my happy welcome back I've seen a few mentions here and there that Mr. Cuba used to be a beast with that pen. Where did you get your inspiration from and how did you elevate from the MSN noob (I assume) you were to the God of ancient tales in time and space?

Cuba:
Lmao, everyone is a noob when they start right? I think it's just elevation mindset really, which was a big deal on WannaBattle. Listen to the feedback and apply it and keep moving onwards and upwards. I try and critically evaluate what I write as well so I always push myself to get better. Plus I have ridiculously high expectations of myself as well, so yeah.

Me:
What would you advice newcomers on this site?

Cuba:
Take your time to establish yourself, have a positive attitude, make sure you listen to feedback and aim to give high quality feedback to others.

Me:
Cool, that's what I'd advice as well, really. So, Mr. Cuba, why don't you write as often anymore? Would you ever like to do a big piece or collab again?

Cuba:
Funnily enough me & Sammy might be cooking up something (TBC). I dunno really, battling got boring a long time ago. And not really had a great deal of motivation to write generally. Plus I'm mainly focused on making LA a great place more than writing.

Me:
Oh, that's great to hear. Sammy has become one of my favorites with how he's able to do so many different things. Sometimes even with very short pieces. You definitely been putting a lot of time and effort into LA to make it the best place to be. Which leads me to the following. We all know we aren't being paid for this or anything so what drives you to improve something which you yourself don't really use anymore? Use in the sense of droppings OM's/doing battles.

Cuba:
Great question...I guess it's just something I've really enjoyed being a part of for such a long time that it seems a shame to let that place die. Especially since it can (and still is) a great way for people to learn, get better, and have fun in a creative way. Hopefully it will get to a point where I can hand over the reigns and reduce my involvement, but who knows.

Me:
What is the hardest thing for you in terms of managing the website/people?

Cuba:
People management is something I do as part of my job and genuinely enjoy it, so that's minor. I think it's a bit tougher on LA as sometimes I just do things myself rather than ask others to do things as it can take a fair amount of time & I think really the best things have come from people stepping up themselves rather than me trying to 'delegate' things. 

More broadly I think it's hard to have to take a step back and be objective when people propose ideas. My personal preference is for topicals so I just naturally get more excited about ideas connected to that. Part of that is the topical guys just seem to respond to the concepts more and there is stronger activity, therefore it makes things more self-sustaining. I dunno. I try and do it based on supply & demand. Like if people want to do a text tourney and there's enough people who will participate and vote then it's all good. The battle stuff just seems to get less participation from voters, don't really know why that is.

Me:
Regarding battles there might be fewer votes because there is less of "reward." If you provide feedback on a topical you usually get pointers or praise and are more inclined to return the favor. With battles there's sometimes a big gap in where the voter battles and doesn't get the same type or vote or whatever. You understand me. So, what would you really like to see on LA?

Cuba:
More of the same growth, less reliance on a small number of people. I think we have improved that over the last few months to be honest and I think more natural successors to the senior mod roles.

Me:
Is there anything which you would really like to do beyond modding? Say battling, topical or maybe even join a tourney where you might have the honor to battle yours truly.

Cuba:
I entered Identity Crisis last time around and I'm pretty sure I'd enter that one again. Was a truly great innovation and something really interesting to enter.

Me:
I've heard that being mentioned a couple of times. Seems people really enjoyed that. So here's something which I personally always wondered. Which direction is the Topical Twist going to take?

Cuba:
What do you mean sir? I hope you aren't looking for spoilers?

Me:
I would never....

Me:
Well you know. Right now it seems like you intend to keep it going on forever just to troll the shit out of us. Will there be a big twist where Endeezy is announced to be the winner even if he's not number one?

Cuba:
You definitely wouldn't be the winner if you weren't number one bro. I have plenty of ideas for twists and keep thinking of new ones all the time. I think as long as it's interesting and people are still engaged then it's all good. The broader idea would be that the number 1 guy is the natural number 1 contender for the belt & those at the top could get preferential entry into tourneys and suchlike.

Me:
You know what would be really dope? If the winner got to battle the myth himself!

Cuba:
I don't know I'm number 1 contender bro. Reckon people would prefer a shot at that gold.

Me:
Fuck that. They have to get smacked by an iron giants first before they can even dare to compete for gold.

Cuba:
If we really expanded it we could potentially have like an 'Intercontinental champ.' Maybe I could make it into a tourney to round it off...play off elimination style. Who's to say?

Me:
You?

Cuba:
Oh snaps I guess it is.

Me:
Facts! So before we close this off. Anything else you wish to say?

Cuba:
Just that I'm like Germany bro, if people want to help we have an open door policy. I want people to feel empowered rather than having to ask for permission. And if you feel like you have what it takes to be the next senior mod then reach out & we can discuss the pathway. Oh and make sure y'all vote on the yearly awards! That shit took forever to setup.

Me:
Damn right. Endeezy for president, ya'll. Last question since talking to you is fun. Why rowing?

Cuba:
I tried a load of sports man and this one just works for me. Always wanted to try it and it's just awesome to be out on the water. It's got that balance of being physically tough (I have strong endurance naturally) but requiring finesse and constantly having to work on your technique to get faster. It's like a continuous improvement type sport, which fits well with me.

Me:
Right. I thought it was for preparation in case a big ass flood hit the city of London or where ever you're from. I guess your reasoning also works.

Cuba: 
Lmao, fuck that...better strategy is to live on a hill,

Me:
Where were you when Noah was wasting his time on his ark? Thanks for your time, Cuba. Even though you kept spamming me for days to do this little gig.

Cuba:
I am not a crook.

Me:
That's what they all say. Then they find themselves locked up between Jerome, Big D and Billy Pete.

Cuba:
I don't know who any of those people are.

Me:
You will if you keep up your crookish ways. Have a good one!

Cuba:
*Uses Skype to display a peace and fistbump sign*

Thanks for reading everyone. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed doing this. Additionally, below are some links to Cubes work in case you wonder what this guy can do.

Stay tuned for more interviews in the near future!
#Bananas

Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:14am
Great interview,a good insight into the myth and legend of LA,a guy who when I first
came here slapped me into place,stopped me bitchin' and inspired me to up my work
effics here and use my own initiative,(true story,ask the man himself),this guy truly
amazes me with his commitment to this site,one I aim to mirror,dude you may not
receive all the the praise you deserve,but I hope atleast you see the respect from myself and the members,and Endeez solid work here friend with this one,a real ripe
read,thanks for putting in the time and effort,good job...peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:19am
Thanks, man! Was really fun to do and I hope to do many more!
#Bananas

Sky Scrapur View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sky Scrapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:52am
I never liked the dude but yeah dope interview.

Cuba irritates me but it doesn't hurt more than ScootS presence.

I respect the role he's playing on the site cause honestly this place was as good as dead. I can now smell life on this site. Big ups

Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 1:41pm
Cool interview guys.
#bananas
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:22pm
Great interview. And a truly interesting insight. 
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 4:58am
Nice job on the interview. I always look forward to these. Although you shoulda asked why he got into writing and how he really started (before the msn).

None the less, solid job, as I said above, always excited to read these!
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 6:10am
there it is! very entertaining and enlightening interview, my friend. 

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Lord Puente Lord Puente wrote:

Nice job on the interview. I always look forward to these. Although you shoulda asked why he got into writing and how he really started (before the msn).

None the less, solid job, as I said above, always excited to read these!

I don't really remember what started first but I did write poetry back in the day. I think the MSN chat rooms were probably first because you're talking about me being early teens (maybe before) on the dial up Internet looking for ways to past time. There was AOL chat rooms which then became MSN chat rooms. The first battles were definitely there.
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Sky Scrapur Sky Scrapur wrote:

I never liked the dude but yeah dope interview.

Cuba irritates me but it doesn't hurt more than ScootS presence.

I respect the role he's playing on the site cause honestly this place was as good as dead. I can now smell life on this site. Big ups

Go my Minions!

Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 6:16pm
Nice interview, well put together too...

Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Endeavor Endeavor wrote:

Pretty sure it was down to a guy called Mos Infamous who ran a crew called ELITE back in the day. We were friends on the old MSN rap battle boards, think it was MCC. A lot of guys came across from there at the time due to MI

That brings back some memories. I was in a MSN rap board wit his girl vixen, and I started talking to him and got him to come over to LA eventually and he brought the crew wit after that.
+Sick-Witted+
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Stalin Stalin wrote:

Pretty sure it was down to a guy called Mos Infamous who ran a crew called ELITE back in the day. We were friends on the old MSN rap battle boards, think it was MCC. A lot of guys came across from there at the time due to MI

That brings back some memories. I was in a MSN rap board wit his girl vixen, and I started talking to him and got him to come over to LA eventually and he brought the crew wit after that.

Oh shit yeah, Vixen!! They were a cool pair of guys, I used to go on AIM just to chat to MI
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 8:38pm
^ see? Again proof you don't read shit, Cuba. Concrete specifically said "his GIRL Vixen."

Edit: spelling
#Bananas

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 8:40pm

^ see? Again proffered you don't read shit, Cuba. Concrete specifically said "his GIRL Vixen."

It was Stalin #awkward

I was using guys in the internationally recognised non gender specific sense
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 8:41pm
Stalin, concrete... whatever lol. Both better readers than you!
#Bananas

spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 10:11pm
Nice work from both here
I think these kind endeavors are priceless, it's a cool switch up from lyrics, informative and done right like this was, entertainment and humourous

Plus on the REAL, cos no doubt when I think Cuba!!! I do think Germany
Former leaders for me though, I'm thinking Chancellor Kohl, mainly.

Liked this, love to see others!
Keep em coming all I can say

Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 11:28pm
Lmao, Kohl Hahaha. I think you mean Mengele.
#Bananas

spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 12:29am

Lmao, Kohl Hahaha. I think you mean Mengele.

Nope I was definitely referring to Helmut!

But I will compromise if you're willing to drop an E and switch the other two for O's....

LA interviews everybody!
We should do these more often

Endy, you def got that ability to draw out best
Cuba, Mein her das vas vunderbah.... Lol

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 8:48pm
you had me at "Ok Mr Cuba" and lost me at "Brooklyn 99"

Cubes my brother from another mother, father, grandmother and grandfather but I always dig a nice little glimpse into what makes the motherfucker such a manimal.

NSBA till I die.

if they only knew our history eh Cubes lol.
#Bananas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic