Author
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [KOTM] footsteps
    Posted: 18 December 2016 at 4:29pm

-rhetorical

Edited by rhetorical - 24 September 2021 at 7:33pm
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 6:23pm
Hey. Great to see you participating. As a rule which I set a while ago I won't provide any feed or thoughts on KOTM pieces as I'm the one who does the write up and picks a winners at the end of the period. I'll update the list of participants later tonight when I'm not on the phone.
#Bananas

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 6:34pm
Damn rhetorical going for the neck! Good shot bro. Will be back later today to give proper feed (I'm at work right now)

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 6:45pm
You have a real air of authority when you write, can tell you are an experienced hand almost immediately. Was an interesting "inspired by" piece & I liked the concept of taking the man being half & half between heaven and hell as you put it. I really liked the descriptiveness of your writing, best moment was when you talked about that social networking part. That felt really poignant.

For me I didn't really get a sense of a character that was torn...it kind of felt like to me you had 4 lines that set it up & the rest was talking about regrets and how he'd fucked up and all that. I would've liked that middle piece to be a bit more half & half...like reflecting on the downsides and sacrifices but then positive notes too, or at least that optimism trickling away as it went through the piece.

So yeah, I think this was a piece that was an interesting concept that in terms of idea could've been executed to a higher standard, but in which you showed a lot of majority in terms of the verse itself and that fundamental lyricism.

You seem like you'll be another strong addition to the OM scene though, so glad you've dipped your toe in the waters.
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 7:00pm
Fresh slant to the picture here,liked the looping effect in this drop,and the turmoil
of broken dreams was done with nice depiction and emotion,gave a picture of a
drunks/junkies balled in my head on reading,the chaser becomes waster was an
orignal concept and played well also,the character scrapping the proverbial barrel
was vivid and sharp,and the tempo/vibe was ripe throughout too,wording and
contents were solid overall,a highly enjoyable read with class stamped all over it,
ripe read..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 8:23pm

So this is pretty interesting. I like how you make subtle allusions to the picture. I also like the philosophical nature of your words. In my opinion, this is the kind of intro that sets the tone for the entire piece and, that is because it makes the reader slow down and ponder what is actually being said, as oppose to just speed reading through each line with little emphasis being paid to truly understanding what's being expressed by the author.

The wording here is very well placed. The way you set your lines up allow for very powerful conclusions.

The wording is again impressive and so is the scheme. Your character development is also a thing of beauty. I like how the character is being fleshed out through an indirect combination of memories and habits. Good shit!

Dope!

Also, this reminds me of a Sage Francis quote that goes something like:

The wording is exceptionally and the lyrics are the truth.

This was in the pocket. I like the story progression, the rhythm was constant, the syllable count was on point, and lyrically it provided a rhyme and reason as to what's happening with/to the character.

I like the callback here and reverse repetition. Solid way to ended it and...

But of course.

All-in-all: this was a stellar read from top-to-bottom that was highlighted by nice storytelling and incredible wording. Mechanically, I have no gripes ... lyrical, I have none as well. Dope drop my dude and another great entry up for submission.

Peace...

Edited by rhetorical - 24 September 2021 at 7:33pm
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 9:25am
so this verse spoke of a figure who decides to follow a perceived chosen path at the cost of....everything else. I really like the dilemma this piece posed. the third line from the opening stanza:

Mind screaming ambition, heart forging your tracks

really cool twist on the "follow one's heart" idiom, also the obvious crux of the whole verse. NOw since youth, we've all at one point or another been taught to follow our heart. I liek that this piece examined that in a somewhat cynical light. What if following one's heart means alienating...or in worse case scenario...betraying other's in the process? On top of that what if this path that's forged by one's heart ended up nowhere? Personally i feel with enough effort something will, or more appropriately SHOULD happen. But again, this verse took a more pessimistic contingent to the phrase. 

Rhyming was great the whole way through. There weren't any awkward wordings, but i do admit at times, the persisting rhyme detracted from the content. Its one of those "critique" that can be seen in a good or bad light, depending on the individual writer.

lastly there were lots of great lines:

A glass of 90 proof something to help swallow these lumps

^^awesome

Its so serene. The bad decisions that pattern a theme

^^favorite

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic