Suggestions, Comments & Problems: Make it easier to vote?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make it easier to vote?
    Posted: 28 March 2015 at 1:31pm
There seems to be a lot of critism about people not voting and doing minimal "positive" activity on the site...I'm just wondering, is it maybe because most people are accessing the site via mobile therefore they haven't got the time to vote on longer battles and fully break down their votes?

I'll make a separate thread to ask about how people access the site, however, assuming that's true I'm thinking maybe we should make the following rules:

1. Much shorter maximum line limits for REGULAR battles. For example, 8 lines maximum.

2. No need to breakdown verses, simply say "I vote for X because..." and as long as the mods think it's a valid reason the vote stands.

3. Also ban anything that isn't a bar from being in a battle post. No preamble, no expos, just 8 lines of a battle script.

You could then either post on the open mic or elevation centre if you wanted more constructive, detailed feedback on your verse.

As for the line limits, we could have Bloodlines style events where you saw more high profile heads battling with longer line limits. I'd also say longer line limits could stay for title battles (if those ever happen) or tourneys

What you guys think?
dalinquent View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 29-23-1
Form: WLLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dalinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 2:36pm
Think everything except the open mic posting part makes sense... would flood the open mic morethan it already is
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 3:29pm
Yeah, I think it should be Elevation Centre rather than Open Mic...was just floating it as an idea.

Wonder if there's a space for a different style of open mic board as well...so anyone can drop anything in the OM but maybe there's a special board created where mods can move OMs they feel deserve more attention. Not necessarily the most established drops, just whatever they think is being slept on.

Then they could revolve stuff in/out there so it's always fresh/current

Maybe that even replaces "OM of the month" and just makes it like "OMs of the moment"
E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 7-4-0
Form: WWLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

2. No need to breakdown verses, simply say "I vote for X because..." and as long as the mods think it's a valid reason the vote stands.

3. Also ban anything that isn't a bar from being in a battle post. No preamble, no expos, just 8 lines of a battle script.

People have a hard enough time voting properly as it it, this isn't going to do anything but cause problems.
AxyRocker View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 23-40-1
Form: LLLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AxyRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 4:05pm
Tbh, there's no end to this.... I am getting what you are trying to say but even if you reduce the maximum number of bars for a regular battle, still there will be peeps complaining... what would you do after that??
Close regular battles??

I think as far as law of economics says, banning or taking advantages from someone won't work... It would be better if you give certain advantages to people who vote or feed or maybe something...

I guess everyone can vote on atleast 3 battles a month and all those active users who don't vote can be given some avys or something like that.

I would like to add on, it would not be a bad idea to remove a L or two from the stats of the person who was voter of the month or participates actively in the community, this may provide an advantage and a motive to work for..
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 4:16pm
Banning maybe wasn't the correct word, I meant restricting what people post. The point is, you have a smaller screen on mobile device therefore if you have 32line battles with preamble and expos then it can look like quite a lot and offputting to read. Therefore minimise what is there to read & minimise requirement to vote should make it easier to vote and therefore get more votes.

To be honest, I would consider closing the battlefields as an extreme example...the open mic is generally a lot "fairer" in that if you drop comments people usually drop comments on your stuff, whereas in the battlefields there seem to be so few people voting that battles aren't ticking over like they used to because not everybody who battles votes.

If you say best case a battle takes 3 votes to close, then for every battle you have you need to vote at least 2 on average to ensure battles are closed. I don't think "post links" works therefore I'm thinking of a different solution.

The problem is, ultimately, if you are a "good citizen" in the battlefield, vote others battles, and nobody votes yours in return then the "bad citizens" get their battles closed and the "good citizens" have their battles remain open. So there's no incentive for the bad citizen to change and there's no reward for being a good citizen. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.
daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 4:21pm
I thought of these ideas as well. I think oms that deserve more attention should be moved to a sub thread. Most mods are pretty good with their written anyway so they could make the accurate judgement. The problem is see with this is arrogant assholes that think their piece is dope and start a bitch fest. LA has alot of that.  

Or we can have a section where no no noobs with less then 250 posts can only drop into a subcategory within the OM section. I know I would be more then happy to feed them.  

As for battles. Scotty has it setup with votes like that because you have a lot of cry babies and people that bitch when a vote goes doesn't go in their favor. 

This sight has micro favoritism and politics which has thwarted any attempt for Scotty to make these decisions. He's being fair so that he has to deal with less bitch and spam.  I don't blame him. 

Anywho, I like the ideas man 

E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 5:17pm
The only reason voting has been slow for IC is because they're topicals with unlimited lines and a voting cap, it's a no-brainer.

Votes are always slow when it comes to topicals.

As for the rest of voting and etc, it's been great lately because there isn't a million people wasting their time in the Fuck Y'alls and etc.

A reward system is possible, but at this point I doubt you'll get far considering Scotty likes things his way.

I suggested keeping track of feedback, votes, etc.. Who knows if things'll change?

But if you aren't participating with voting, feeding, yatta yatta.. I don't see why you're still allowed to battle and rake in glory for OMs, or participate on the site at all.
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 5:36pm
I understand the concerns towards the battlefield but there just isn't a lot of active battlers around. When I started there were noobs every other day and over a dozen established heads active in the fields. Work comes first for me, and I haven't had as much time to vote or battle. Me, medz, beans, tamfa, mission, Shankley all used to be pretty much the main battle community for a period of time when there was quite a lot of activity. The familiar crowd feel has gone, the quality of battle isn't great either if I'm honest (mine sometimes included). I don't mind waiting a while for one of mine to close, it's the quality of vote that underminds the point of battling for me. The inconsistency of what is or isn't acceptable, doesn't help either. There isn't one solution to any of these problems.

Still We need some new heads, we really do or atleast older ones to come back, but we can't make that happen.

On the plus side though of the site, the om's thriving.
#bananas
E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Rutter knows best Rutter knows best wrote:

I don't mind waiting a while for one of mine to close, it's the quality of vote that underminds the point of battling for me. The inconsistency of what is or isn't acceptable, doesn't help either. There isn't one solution to any of these problems.

Still We need some new heads, we really do or atleast older ones to come back, but we can't make that happen.

On the plus side though of the site, the om's thriving.

^^^
Mission View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Mic of the Month

Stats: 8-9-1
Form: LWLLLN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 5:59pm
II don't like this idea at all. I think it's unfair to limit battlers and skim over votes simply because some people can't read it all with ease. There are plenty of ways around it and I think our voting system is very necessary considering half the time the explanations are bullshit. Simplifying voting would only cause more hate, fuck ya'lls, and blank spots as to why one person voted for the other. I say keep voting the way it is. And rutter's pretty much on point.
SwordedStylez View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 3-0-1
Form: WWWN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SwordedStylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:07pm
Hmm, some good ideas. I personally think Expos should be 100% banned from LA, if you can't throw a punch without an explanation, it isn't direct enough. I think that cutting the shit out of the battles would be a great step forward, verses only in the battler's posts. I also think copying and pasting a battler's verse into a vote should be banned. However, I DON'T agree on the let people vote with 1 line votes thing. I'm sorry but I think mobile technology has done ENOUGH to dumb down computers AND the internet. This is an issue with laziness, not time. I sit on the forum for a few hours a day and I see tons of you sat around active, not voting. You have the time, you're just fucking lazy. Sorry that's a fact.
Music

Ink - Always remembered, never forgotten (as a fake as fuck piece of shit who tried to steal 2 persona's)
E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:16pm
You need to realize that half the people on LA have trouble grasping basic concepts.

Honestly though, half the punches thrown around by "vets" are played out, boring and down right simple.. Yet, you're implying that we need more of that?

What happened to being creative and thinking outside the box?
AxyRocker View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 23-40-1
Form: LLLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AxyRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:17pm
^^^^ While I somewhat respect your opinion SS, but even I wanna know how will people get the personals, I mean I can dig out a personal which half the people don't even know and so if we restrict the expos, there can be many things that voters won't be able to understand on a personal level, considering the matter of close battles..
On a side note, I think promoting the use of links in your verse might work for that but again the lazy dogs will stay lazy dogs...

Also for the Tourney, with my own personal experience (in the battlefield), I can see regular battles getting closed in a week or even less but Topicals take a while... a loooooong while ! 
Shankley View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 37-43-1
Form: WNLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shankley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:25pm
I actually agree 100% with Stylez that expos are getting ridiculous it wasn't that long ago that EVP was expo'ing every line i mean come on is that really necessary, are your lines so convoluted that it's only you that will understand them wih out the explanation. The voting as well is just plain laziness anything over 8 lines and most people just don't want to know. Has anyone noticed that most of the regular 4 bar battles are voted and finished and whats left is everything else including the tourney. It's all a case of I'm alright Jack and it seems to be getting worse. Random threads of little to no meaning get more activity in an hour than the battlefield gets in an average week.

Axy you can use links within he verse to link the reader to a specific personal.
The Amount of Fucks given: Zero
E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:29pm
I actually worked on my line length and expos since being here, they aren't so convoluted that only I can understand them..

However they certainly are more creative than probably anybody else's battle lines on here.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SwordedStylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Shankley Shankley wrote:

Axy you can use links within he verse to link the reader to a specific personal.

Well said. Basically the point is that battles should be ACTUALLY insulting or personal. Ridiculously forced "wordplay" and stretched out concepts that make no sense are not "complex" they're retarded. E.V.P don't comment an ANYONE else's skill because frankly, you're horrific and don't know shit. If a personal might be missed, link the thread it happened in to your punch like shank said. If you need to actually explain your bars for them to make sense, we're not stupid, YOU ARE, because you don't make sense.  Frankly, the battles here are probably the worst of any site I've ever seen, and that's not being harsh, that's being truthful. You're all terrified of flipping - standard skill in any form of real battling. A flip has to be a BETTER use of your concept than your own, the reason you all fear it is because you are TERRIBLE. You're all doing 8 line battles and considering yourself skilled when ONE punch in most of those battles in on point. Get over yourselves, you're explaining wack bars, not complex ones.  The reason most people aren't voting on this shit is it's fucking awful. Stop bitching and complaining about votes and go work on your fucking craft a little bit, then maybe you'll entertain people enough for them to actually vote.  All it is here is laziness and complaining every time somebody votes and calls you wack. Newsflash YOU ARE WACK. Now go drop some decent fucking feedback in your votes, sort your own shit out and maybe you can all start to imprve before you become even more of a joke than you already are. God I would love to slap some of you idiotic, ignorant children.
Music

Ink - Always remembered, never forgotten (as a fake as fuck piece of shit who tried to steal 2 persona's)
E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:53pm
Bro.

Like I said, I've made improvements since being here.. My last set of expos were actually shorter than my opponent's.

If you really feel like starting some shit about who understands what, maybe you should take a look at those 25 years you've spent doing music and ask yourself why you've never left LA?

Maybe it's you who's horrific?

Being delusional is a possibility, just saying.
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:56pm
If i could use hyperlinks i don't think i'd need expo's tbh, but i cant, thus the expo's.

Do they fall in the same category?

Eitherway i think there can be a middle ground. Yes, bars shouldn't be so convoluted nobody understand, but u shouldn't have to limit your creativity to fit around those who have never read a book or 13 year old's from the other end of the world.
#bananas
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SwordedStylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:57pm
"never left LA"

Actually I think if you look you'll see a few 4 or 5 year gaps where I did just that. Again, you're trying to generalise and insult me to distract from the fact that you're a terrible writer,. Get over it. If you want to prove you're better than me, spit even 10 bars on a beat and let's hear it. Until, sit down, shut up and learn your place child.
Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic