Author
SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:19am
I could write a 10 page report on why Connor loses this fight. But in the interest of time I'm just gonna say May all the way!
Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:20am
Originally posted by SELF ACTIVATE SELF ACTIVATE wrote:

I could write a 10 page report on why Connor loses this fight. But in the interest of time I'm just gonna say May all the way!

To be fair, I'd read it.
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 2:42am
Keeping it brief...

Off the rip: any man that steps in the ring should initially be given 2 things. The First being respect and the second being "a boxer's chance". In any combat sport the unexpected is always a plausible possibility. For instance there is always the underlining reality that Connor could get lucky and catch Floyd with a flush shot to the jaw. If so the fight is over. Knock out. Case closed. It could happen. It's a fight after all. However, barring the miraculous that's exactly where his chances end and begin.

Let's be real Mcgregor is an elite fighter no doubt. He has tremendous skills as evident by his championship belt. So I'm not trying to belittl his talent in any way, but, realistically, his MMA abilities are of little importance in a boxing match. And I know at one time he was supposidly a champion boxer. But was he Floyd Mayweather level? Hell no! If he were it be well known and most likely he wouldn't be fighting for scraps in the UFC if he could be making TMT cash with Showtime or HBO.

To assume a guy who practices in multiple different disciplines thus dividing his attention and ability per craft into parts is going to beat a guy, who for all intent and purpose, has mastered a single discipline for the better part of 30 odd years in his own area of expertise where he has 20+ years of experience is absolutely crazy. Mayweather has seen everything boxing has to offer, he knows every angle to throw a shot, when to attack, fallback, pull a dirty move, or frustrate an opponent, things that can't really be taught, but can only be learned from years and years of being in the ring. Not the octagon but the square. Not only that ... he is perhaps the greatest defensive boxer of all time. What exactly is a guy that doesn't box professionally going to do to him that Pacquiao, Hatton, Moseley, De La Hoya, Canelo, Cotto, etc... didn't?

Like those are some of the greatest boxers of the last half century and you think there is a UFC guy out there better than them getting paid peanuts in comparison instead of living the high life all these years by taking the boxing world by storm? Come on, bruh. It doesn't make sense. And to even suggest Mcgregor can beat Mayweather is to suggest he's secretly better than all those mentioned above. Like do you really think Connor is faster than Del La Hoya? Hits harder than Canelo or Pac? Or is swifter with the footwork than Sugar Shane in a boxing match? I just don't see it.

Remember boxers are trained day in and day out to hit moving targets with their hands and avoid punches only. Connor is trained to multitask. If one technique doesn't work you switch to another such as a kick, knee, or takedown. However, in boxing all you have is your guard and your hands. I don't see his hands or his defense being on the same level as Mayweather's, thus what is his fallback plan...an illegal roundhouse?

Also, is he even condition to go a competitive 12 rounds if need be? I mean that's a big difference between the 3-5 rounds he's use to in the UFC where he's not typically on his feet with his hands up the entire time. It's a different beast all together.

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 2:54am

Come on, bruh. It doesn't make sense. And to even suggest Mcgregor can beat Mayweather is to suggest he's secretly better than all those mentioned above. Like do you really think Connor is faster than Del La Hoya? Hits harder than Canelo or Pac? Or is swifter with the footwork than Sugar Shane in a boxing match? I just don't see it.

ive always wondered if Conor fans think he could beat Saul or Gennady.
#Bananas
Jay Homicide View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 9-3-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jay Homicide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:22am
Two totally different sports. Professional boxing and mma boxing are a completely different thing.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 12:31pm

Keeping it brief...

Off the rip: any man that steps in the ring should initially be given 2 things. The First being respect and the second being "a boxer's chance". In any combat sport the unexpected is always a plausible possibility. For instance there is always the underlining reality that Connor could get lucky and catch Floyd with a flush shot to the jaw. If so the fight is over. Knock out. Case closed. It could happen. It's a fight after all. However, barring the miraculous that's exactly where his chances end and begin.

Let's be real Mcgregor is an elite fighter no doubt. He has tremendous skills as evident by his championship belt. So I'm not trying to belittl his talent in any way, but, realistically, his MMA abilities are of little importance in a boxing match. And I know at one time he was supposidly a champion boxer. But was he Floyd Mayweather level? Hell no! If he were it be well known and most likely he wouldn't be fighting for scraps in the UFC if he could be making TMT cash with Showtime or HBO.

To assume a guy who practices in multiple different disciplines thus dividing his attention and ability per craft into parts is going to beat a guy, who for all intent and purpose, has mastered a single discipline for the better part of 30 odd years in his own area of expertise where he has 20+ years of experience is absolutely crazy. Mayweather has seen everything boxing has to offer, he knows every angle to throw a shot, when to attack, fallback, pull a dirty move, or frustrate an opponent, things that can't really be taught, but can only be learned from years and years of being in the ring. Not the octagon but the square. Not only that ... he is perhaps the greatest defensive boxer of all time. What exactly is a guy that doesn't box professionally going to do to him that Pacquiao, Hatton, Moseley, De La Hoya, Canelo, Cotto, etc... didn't?

Like those are some of the greatest boxers of the last half century and you think there is a UFC guy out there better than them getting paid peanuts in comparison instead of living the high life all these years by taking the boxing world by storm? Come on, bruh. It doesn't make sense. And to even suggest Mcgregor can beat Mayweather is to suggest he's secretly better than all those mentioned above. Like do you really think Connor is faster than Del La Hoya? Hits harder than Canelo or Pac? Or is swifter with the footwork than Sugar Shane in a boxing match? I just don't see it.

Remember boxers are trained day in and day out to hit moving targets with their hands and avoid punches only. Connor is trained to multitask. If one technique doesn't work you switch to another such as a kick, knee, or takedown. However, in boxing all you have is your guard and your hands. I don't see his hands or his defense being on the same level as Mayweather's, thus what is his fallback plan...an illegal roundhouse?

Also, is he even condition to go a competitive 12 rounds if need be? I mean that's a big difference between the 3-5 rounds he's use to in the UFC where he's not typically on his feet with his hands up the entire time. It's a different beast all together.

Ok, so I did ask for it. Very compelling paragraph.

The only thing I believe you're not considering, is Floyds age. In his prime of course, but look at any sport... any sport. Once even the most elite hit a certain age their skills decline, and even more so when you're not staying competitive. Conor is in his prime. Why discredit his hand striking ability, when all he's done is KO some of the best MMA fighters in the world. Yes, I know it's a different sport, but Conor is a striker and quick on his feet. Also many of the names you gave from floyds past, he fought them when they were out of their prime. Most of those guys were heading to retirement. I watched all those fights. Trust me, I'm not saying Conor is going to win, I just think many people are sleeping on Conor and his ability and the fact Floyd is 40 and hasn't fought in 2 years and even his last fight was a joke. Yes he is the goat, we know this, but I cant wait to see it all.

But really great info from you bro. I enjoy the banter.

Edited by Trizzy Tre - 21 March 2017 at 12:38pm
Jay Homicide View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 9-3-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jay Homicide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 12:37pm
Because his age won't affect him to the point that he's totally inept, it'll mean against top level boxers he would struggle, potentially, but not against somebody with 0 pro boxing bouts.

His entire training will need to be changed, and more importantly his habits. His stance, angles of approach, set ups, it's all going to be different. And he also has to get used to the gloves as well. Could he land a wild hook and KO Floyd? Yes. In the sense that any of his prior opponents could've also done that. However if you rule out a random shot from nowhere and go based off of boxing ability, the difference is night and day. Is like putting Bolt in the 1500M and expecting him to beat the greatest 1500M of all time. Both are runners, but the two disciplines have such a monumental difference at the elite level, which Floyd is.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 12:47pm
I get it, but it's not like Conor was a swimmer and he wants to jump into the ring with Floyd. He's a fighter too, a 2 division champ, most of his abilities transfer to boxing. Your angles, striking, movement, reach, height, strength....

The age thing is a bigger deal then you think. I've seen elite boxers go from top notch to getting ran over by avg fighters. Even in MMA some of the most elite guys, for example Belfort who is a hall of famer and one of the best MMA fighters of all time, and he's up there in age. 2 weeks ago he fought a younger up and comer. Belfort went down like a sack of potatoes. In his prime he would have killed that guy, but now he just doesn't have it due to age. It's just a simple fact in life and in sports. Why does father time not effect Floyd the same way?

To be honest, I'm kinda shocked im openly defending Conor. Also Neek, no I don't think Conor could best those guys lol

Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:31pm
The fact that Floyd is 40 (and knows it) is the reason why he's fighting Connor and not some one like Errol Spence. Floyd is very cognitive of his legacy and his perfect record. You said it yourself ... all those dudes he fought were past their primes. Now that's debatable, however, operating on the premises that it is indeed true, then one must ask himself the question as to why it is true and the simple answer is, he hand picks fighters he knows he can beat. Now after 20+ years in the fight game, undefeated, and insanely rich, do you think Floyd has forgotten this crucial method of ensuring victory? Remember, Mayweather has been in the business a lot longer than Connor, hell even UFC president Dana White use to be his luggage boy, so he's not foolish enough to actually be "foolish" to begin with. I have no doubt he is not underestimating Connor or taking him lightly. However, I also have no doubt he has studied Mcgregor and knows what he's capable of and has determined based on whatever criteria he uses that he can defeat Connor. If not he wouldn't be taking this fight nor would he be jeopardizing an historic 50-0 run. Don't get me wrong I know the huge payout is the biggest motivation for both, but I highly doubt someone as meticulous and methodical as Floyd would throw caution to the wind and abandon all logic at this point in his career. I mean to come so far just to lose to a guy that's not even a ranked boxer (regardless of his feats outside the sport)? It just doesn't make sense, bro.
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:32pm
Nice debate tho

You all brought up some good points
daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Trizzy Tre Trizzy Tre wrote:

most of his abilities transfer to boxing. Your angles, striking, movement, reach, height, strength....

The angles are completely different. Boxing is a very rigid sport in terms of angles compared to MMA. Feet movement is completely different and striking (even punching) is different. What i see being an advantage for Conor would be his Age and strength. His iron jaw will help also. I just think if this goes 12 rnds, Mayweather got this in the bag.
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:42pm
Dizz

I don't think Mcgregor is much stronger than Pac or Canelo or the last dude Floyd fought. And I also don't think his iron jaw is going to provide him much of an advantage given the fact that Floyd hasn't knocked out an opponent in like a decade, literally. Besides that's no even his aim nowadays. He wins by picking his opponents apart and exploiting holes in their defenses by throwing accurate punches. He won't out fight Connor but he will out box him and tally points on the score card.
daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:43pm

Dizz

I don't think Mcgregor is much stronger than Pac or Canelo or the last dude Floyd fought. And I also don't think his iron jaw is going to provide him much of an advantage given the fact that Floyd hasn't knocked out an opponent in like a decade, literally. Besides that's no even his aim nowadays. He wins by picking his opponents apart and exploiting holes in their defenses by throwing accurate punches. He won't out fight Connor but he will out box him and tally points on the score card.

Yeah I know, i dont see Conor winning. Just seeing any angle that might give him a dying shot.
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 5:31pm

Dizz

he knocked out Victor "I dont think I need to get hit like this" Ortiz.

also this article is worth a read for anyone confused on how much this isnt an actual contest. -

http://teamstre.am/2nGE7Ko

Edited by Neek - 21 March 2017 at 5:38pm
#Bananas
D.Von Doom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: #1
Stats: 15-4-0
Form: WWWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote D.Von Doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:17pm

Keeping it brief...

Let these mfs know self! They dont know shit about boxing!
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:18pm
Lol at the bell

But you're right. I'm gonna peep the article Neek.
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:31pm
Just my opinion fam. But I think deep down everybody knows Floyd is gonna take it. Assuming this imaginary fight even takes place in real life. It'll be a circus, probably not as good as it's billed or advertised to be. But it''s probably the closest we'll ever get to realizing the classic/impossible childhood dream of Mike Tyson squaring off with Bruce Lee. This the bootleg version, but Ill happily give em a few bucks to see what will happen.
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:33pm
bootleg lol..

this shit is going to be Ivan Draggo vs Apollo Creed IRL...

just replace living in america with foggy dew.
#Bananas
D.Von Doom View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: #1
Stats: 15-4-0
Form: WWWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote D.Von Doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:35pm

Just my opinion fam. But I think deep down everybody knows Floyd is gonna take it. Assuming this imaginary fight even takes place in real life. It'll be a circus, probably not as good as it's billed or advertised to be. But it''s probably the closet we'll ever get to realizing the classic/impossible childhood dream of Mike Tyson squaring off with Bruce Lee. This the bootleg version, but Ill happily give em a few bucks to see what will happen.

I only hear the talk of chances from mma fans. They think mma boxing is the same as pro boxing on a world class level. Mayweather is going to play around with McGregor. Conor doesnt even have a proper stance, and he telegraphs his punches. This will be a flashback of arturo gatti
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by D.Von Doom D.Von Doom wrote:

Just my opinion fam. But I think deep down everybody knows Floyd is gonna take it. Assuming this imaginary fight even takes place in real life. It'll be a circus, probably not as good as it's billed or advertised to be. But it''s probably the closet we'll ever get to realizing the classic/impossible childhood dream of Mike Tyson squaring off with Bruce Lee. This the bootleg version, but Ill happily give em a few bucks to see what will happen.

I only hear the talk of chances from mma fans. They think mma boxing is the same as pro boxing on a world class level. Mayweather is going to play around with McGregor. Conor doesnt even have a proper stance, and he telegraphs his punches. This will be a flashback of arturo gatti

bro its the same folks that said Ronda Rousey would whoop Floyd, Laila, Anne Wolfe, Cain Velasquez. same folks.
#Bananas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic