Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: November Update
    Posted: 12 November 2016 at 1:53pm
November Update

Seems like there's a bit of a buzz around the site again...lots going on & good levels of activity from many key members. Great to see Sammy back on the scene as he always makes a huge impact, street team continue to make a difference, and from my point of view there are more 'newer' members who are catching the eye...SiQ, LP and D-NoS to call out a few.

Here's hoping we head onwards and upwards into December and beyond. 

Mod team update

Rutter continues to hold it down, Endeeze came back through and made a splash with his breakdown and pick for OM King (more on that later) and a lesser spotted Nigma even emerged to dip his toe into the Open Mic. Law has been hella busy with real life but anticipates being back soon. I've had some real life issues as well, but hopefully that is settling down for now. Neek & Arthur are in the wilderness. 

OM King / Word Drop update

Due to lack of entries in the September OM King we extended the entry slot by a month & that worked really well...we got a huge amount of entries last month & many of them were top quality. 

On this basis we've decided that rather than having a NEW OM King & Word Drop every month, we're going to alternate the closing of the contests. What this means in practice is you will have a 2 month window to drop on both. We had a new OM King drop this month, so we'll refresh the Word Drop next month.

Word Drop #6

Current Open Mic King

Props to Endeavor & Droidan for putting the work in here. 

Crewsades

Empire overcame the challenge from Syndicate to win the first Crewsades contest. With the other crews not really showing much interest in clashing I'm taking the executive decision to announce Empire as the winners of the first Crewsade. 

Congrats Empire.

Please let us know your feedback on the event as a whole, clearly there was a massive amount of interest which didn't translate into a huge amount of activity. We'll review your feedback and make a decision about if/how we run these types of things in the future. 

Blood of the Belt

In case you missed it, Concrete decided to hang up his gloves and retire the LA Text Title following his victory over Beans in the Crewsades to retain the title. Con has been an honourable champ whose defended his belt several times this year after pipping Ridley Squat to the crown back in January. 

Con announced he was running a mini-tourney to determine his replacement & the qualification round is underway with two triple threat matches awaiting votes. Make sure you get those votes in on these heavyweight battles.

Beans v Kiki v Slip

Ridley v Trizzy v Spume

1-2 Punch League

Concrete may have dropped the LA Text Title, but he's currently sitting on top of the pile in the 1-2 punch league. Current champ battle is on the Spotlight board.

The 1-2 punch league is a quick & simple format to get involved with, you get a battle every week and only 1 punchline is required. If you want to read the rules, sign up, or vote the current crop of battles just check out the 1-2 Punch board link below. 

All the latest content is on the LA Magazine. If you're willing & able to spare some time to support Rutter with running the league or creating the content for the mag, drop him a line or post a reply as I'm sure he'd appreciate the help.

1-2 Punch board

1-2 Punch Sign In Thread

LA Magazine

Huge props to Rutter for not only getting this off the ground, but consistently delivering great mag content as well. 

Topical Twist

In essence a mini topical league, the idea is to get people involved in topical battles who might not otherwise or just want a neutral person to set the topics. You also get all the benefits of regular competition. There is still time to get involved, so check out the sign up sheet below if you're interested.

Topical Twist - sign up sheet

There are currently battles sitting in the Battlefield which need votes, so please check them out. If there is a lack of voting then I'll take that as a sign people aren't that interested in this as a concept & I'll scale back the ambition here. Happy to set battles & topics for people who want to topical battle if that's the best way forward.

What's Next? 

Lot's of ideas are on the table about future events to run, but having seen OM King & 1-2 punch league be extremely successful and things like Crewsades and Topical Twist struggling my current view is to keep things ticking over as they are and see where we are in a couple of months time. On my personal agenda is the Battle Royale...as I think this would build on the success of the 1-2 Punch League. 

Spotlight Section

The Spotlight is a 'one stop shop' for all the hot topics in LA. It showcases all the biggest battles, hottest open mics, as well best discussions going on in LA. 

Spotlight Section

I'm putting a lot of work in to maintain the content on these boards - could you let me know if you are using this to navigate your way through the key content on LA? If there's not any genuine engagement with this board I'll save my time and reinvest that elsewhere.

Moderators Skype Names

The Law - thelaw-la

Cuba - cuba-la

Arthur - live:keeir

Endeavor - captainendeez

Nigma - ts_piiz

Neek - la_neek

Scotty32 - scotty_32

So if you have a skype and need to contact one of us. Feel free to add us.

Looking forward to see increased activity going forward. 

Edited by Cuba - 12 November 2016 at 2:08pm
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 1:56pm
Oh, and make sure you like & comment to help me know if you guys are reading / finding useful!!
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 2:06pm
Always enjoy reading these updates
Good work Cuba.. Cheers

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 2:09pm
Cheers bro, you're so quick you may have spotted the ninja edit Wink
Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 2:09pm
Nice...good stuff Cuba.

Ridley Squat View Drop Down
Street Team
Street Team

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 9-6-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ridley Squat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 5:41pm
Good Job Cuba,
Always look forward to these, and definitely a good look for the site.
Helps to reinforce that we are more than just a bunch of rando's playing word games online.

Shame about the Second Crusade ... I was gonna have one last stab at getting it off the ground before giving up ... I'll PM you shortly

Re the Spotlight, being perfectly honest ... I think it's a great idea but I personally rarely find myself using it, cos I'm always defaulting to mobile view and going straight to New Posts. I hope others are getting the benefit of it though.

By the way, whatever happened to the Alternative Awards? They were always a good read.
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Site Owner
Site Owner
Speaker of Wisdom & Truth

Stats: 3-4-0
Form: WLLWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scotty32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Ridley Squat Ridley Squat wrote:

Re the Spotlight, being perfectly honest ... I think it's a great idea but I personally rarely find myself using it, cos I'm always defaulting to mobile view and going straight to New Posts. I hope others are getting the benefit of it though.

If you have any suggestions for improving navigation and flow through the site, I'm happy to hear them.

New Posts tends to be a double edged sword, its great for keeping up with active topics, but it seems once things fall outside of it, they disappear.
Great and Glorious Supreme Presidential Leader of the People's Democratic Republic of LA
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 9:15pm
If room can be made on the top bar of the homepage [Hall of Fame/Rankings/Battles...] via resizing or whatever I feel more people would make use of it
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Ridley Squat Ridley Squat wrote:

Good Job Cuba,
Always look forward to these, and definitely a good look for the site.
Helps to reinforce that we are more than just a bunch of rando's playing word games online.

Shame about the Second Crusade ... I was gonna have one last stab at getting it off the ground before giving up ... I'll PM you shortly

By the way, whatever happened to the Alternative Awards? They were always a good read.

lol me too actually!

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 10:58pm
and shout to rutter yo. the consistency of his effort made 1/2 punch league a force here, despite road bumps.

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 1:55pm
For sure, Rutts has knocked it out of the park on that one...

P.S. know I need to get through the battlefield and do updates, will try and get to that tonight.
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 8:20pm
Yeah good work here Cuba,i do find it hard to believe sometimes how diligent you really are on this site,a yeah respect to Droid Endzy Sammy Alice Rid's and last but
not least Rut's,and to all the newer members that put in work,you know who you are!!,

Good Job...peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 8:50pm
Currently open Topical Twist battles:

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2016 at 7:48pm
Update, bonus addition...

We've changed the 'MC of the Month' and the 'OM of the Month' titles (aka badges) to be '1-2 Punch League champ' and 'Reigning OM King'

Open to rebranding them...but thought I'd let people know. Yes, that badge on your profile is supposed to be there.

*ninja edit* will be awarding the 1-2 punch one at the end of the season

Edited by Cuba - 21 November 2016 at 8:07pm
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 5:25pm
Additional update on the KOTM entries. I won't be reading any of them anymore prior to picking a winner. This has several reasons:

1. In my "picking a winner post" I already provide mini-breakdowns on all of them;
2. I might provide feedback on an entry, then forget to feed another entry and it may look like I'm biased (I'm not, see point below);
3. I want to give everyone a fair chance to win. It's hard to remain objective when you've already read an amazing verse and that keeps going through your mind for the duration of the KOTM while reading the rest. I have this bad habit of re-reading amazing verse and become attached to them (lol).

I hope you understand! 
#Bananas

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic