Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Of the year' awards
    Posted: 03 December 2016 at 2:43pm
Can't believe it's December already, where's the year gone?! Thinking ahead, would be fun to do some yearly awards...I have some ideas, but throwing this open to everyone.

Looking for suggestions for CATEGORIES for awards. Once we hone in on the categories, I'll then make a new thread looking for suggestions of who you think should be contenders for certain prizes. 

Obviously I'll add some extra categories in when it comes down to it to keep it fun & interesting. But what do you guys think...what should the yearly award categories be?
SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 4:00pm
Best OM Writer OTY
And Runner-Up

Best Topical Battler OTY
And Runner-Up

Best Emcee (audio) OTY
ARU

Best Battle Rapper (audio) OTY
ARU

Best Producer/Beat-Maker OTY
ARU

Best Textcee OTY
ARU

Best OM OTY
Best Song OTY
Best Beat OTY
Best Topical Battle
Best Text Battle
Best Audio Battle
Best Topic/Thread OTY

Most Improved writer/battler/emcee...etc
Most Annoying Member
Most Liked Member
Funniest Member
Most productive Member/Mod
Most Influential Member
Most Likely to Succeed in Writing/Rapping/ Producing/...etc
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Stats: 41-7-5
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 4:18pm
this is a great idea I love the concept.  It's hard to do of the year awards tho cus the majority of the people will just look at the past 2 months and make a decision off that.  I dont feel the majority will actually go and do the research...thats just my opinion tho

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 4:39pm
Talk about comprehensive @ Self!! 

@Exo...the thinking is you guys can suggest categories & nominate people when it gets down to it, but it won't be an open vote (although I might do some 'peoples choice' awards which would be a free vote if there are LOADS of nominations for a particular category)...bunch of the staff would discuss the winners & ultimately I'll make a decision on who wins which category.

As I've been around for most of the year I should be able to take a fair view. Although it can be difficult when it comes down to something like "Open Mic of the year" if that was a category, for example, because you aren't going to get as many nominations from January as you would naturally do for November or December (like you say). But it's never going to be perfect no matter which way you do it.
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 5:01pm
What if the mods select let's say 5 members or pieces pertaining to each category created and then make a poll for the members to vote on?
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 5:24pm
I'm going off experience which tells me you're better generally putting this into fewer hands to make a decision.

That said, I'm very open to member participation and will respond to 'supply and demand', which means when we get round to asking for member suggestions on who/what drops should be nominated for the selected categories & there are categories where we have loads of suggestions from members then I'm happy to open those categories up to members voting.

I'm also open to having "people's choice" as well...so where you have categories where you suggested a "runner up" we could do an open vote and a staff pick.
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 6:19pm
Yeah, makes sense. I'm wit it.
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Stats: 41-7-5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Exoduzt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 8:49pm
sounds good cubes...i'll help anyway I can

Concrete View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 33-6-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Concrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 8:55pm
How about some categories for stuff outside the site as well, like important event, best movie, dopest album, addictive series, greatest game, etc..
Standard Member
Standard Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 11:16pm
^that would make for some interesting conversation as well.

Also, getting more specific (in terms of rap) I always wonder who here has the

The Best Punchlines (text/audio)
The Best Wordplay (all around)
The Best Flow (audio)
The Best Rhyme Scheme (Topical)
The Best Lyrics/Lyricist (all around)
The Most Diverse (can do it all)
The Beat Vocabulary (all around)

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 11:37pm
only because i have a couple nominees in mind but i'd like to see a most missed member. but like u know, no homo or anything. 

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 12:54pm
Yeah I'm going to stick with LA focus, if one of you guys wants to do something for the outside world (sounds like a cool idea) then one of you guys can roll with it.
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 5:12pm
We can also put Endeezy everywhere and Selfs list will be 99% accurate. It won't be 100% because I'm not annoying.
#Bananas

Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 6:11pm
^^lol..your not annoying,but damn that ego though...j/k..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 10:37pm
Great idea. Yearly awards is great, but will be tough to nail down one person or verse per award. With so much work posted on LA it's a tough job.

Throwing some ideas out is good, but think a panel should select nominees. Then each category could have a poll posted. LA community votes the winner.

Regardless what's selected I like the idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic