Forum Name: General Board
Forum Description: This is for all the General Topics
URL: http://www.lyricalassault.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44571
Printed Date: 24 April 2024 at 10:24am

Topic: Future of Crews: Consultation
Posted By: Cuba
Subject: Future of Crews: Consultation
Date Posted: 26 February 2017 at 11:46pm
To make everyone aware, Senior Mods have recently been given the powers to delete crews & reassign crew leaders. Clearly, there is a need to cleanup the crew page as it stands...but this also provides us an opportunity to refresh the way we run the crew system on LA. 

The Senior Mods discussed ideas around this some time ago & although the current setup doesn't allow us to fully implement the changes we'd like to do. We'd like to take this opportunity to have a discussion about the future direction of how the crew system works on LA. 

The purpose of this discussion is to:

a) Get your response/feedback on the specific ideas proposed.
b) Invite your ideas for how you'd like crews to work in the future. 

Broad brush, our ideas:

We recognise the crew platform as a great way to encourage healthy competition between members, whilst providing an elevation platform for people within a crew unit & an engine for generating positive activity across the site through feedback on OM's/audios, voting on battles, and bringing forward ideas for events/new battle formats/etc (and driving participation in these site features).

As part of this we want to do the following:
  • Put a greater onus/responsibility on crew leaders to lead. We would expect crew leaders to positively encourage members to vote, feedback, and be active contributors to the site. We would look to encourage this process of having active members of crews by introducing a membership cap of 5 members. 
  • The mod staff would work alongside crew leaders to form the core leadership team of the site. We want to be a staff who listens to our membership, but we want to listen to those who do the right things for the site's long-term success and growth & who are prepared to step up and be drivers of action.
  • As part of the above, we would provide feedback to crew leaders about where we think they aren't pulling their weight & if things didn't improve we could change the leadership of the crew or potentially delete the crew. Obviously we would seek to avoid this where possible. 
Ideally we would look to create some kind of "Hall of Fame" for crews who make a lasting contribution or have success in the site. There are currently "legacy crews" (such as X Fade or Renegades) which we would seek to transition from "live" status into "archive" status. Ultimately we want the crew section to reflect the active membership of the site...a crew status should be earned through positive activity & it's a mark of respect to have the right to both be in a crew & to be a leader of a crew.

What do you guys think?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Kiki Spirez
Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 5:25am
Good idea. Think there needs to be a push. It's easy to get complacent. I'm pretty relaxed in trusting all my guys to do their thing without cue. But everyone can do more, myself included.

-------------
http://media.photobucket.com/user/Seinamies/media/Big-Dilla-Cover-web.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Crimson Juice
Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 8:35am
Yeah i feel this is a good idea,and I know my crew is on board with this as when ppl join AE,their given a doctrine o what's expected from them,and voting/feedback is a
requirement,anyways good to see this being tackled..peace.

-------------
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".

Posted By: Concrete
Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 11:42am
Crews here are basically just something to decorate your user profile with, they serve no real function other then showing who's not hating on eachother at the moment. 

Would it be possible to program a crew leaderboard for the site? It would probably boost the competitive spirit for the crews.

Posted By: rhetorical
Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Concrete Concrete wrote:

Crews here are basically just something to decorate your user profile with, they serve no real function other then showing who's not hating on eachother at the moment.

if thats the only purpose your crew has, then your crew sucks bruh lol 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 1:43pm
Just a thought here,why don't we introduce a point system,where activity via votes/
feed and participation within LA are logged like the stats,then ppl wishing to join crews,or swap can see their levels in strength at a glance via their activity also..peace.

-------------

Posted By: Trizzy Tre
Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 4:15pm

Would it be possible to program a crew leaderboard for the site? It would probably boost the competitive spirit for the crews.

I like the idea of a leaderboard, not sure how it would work but definitely would bring more competition. Always useful to have some type of target to shoot for...

In general it's a great idea to focus on increasing crew activity.

-------------
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/dirtybird01/media/2h4klef_zpso6y9boj6.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: spume corrupt
Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 4:24pm
Wow
Lot's of mileage for this discussion and I definitely recognise why the senior Mods feel this is an area we could improve.
So I will consider what you have said Cuba and come back with some thoughts

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 7:10pm
That's a good point @ Keeks...what I'm trying to say is that going forward there will be certain expectations on crews & leaders will be responsible for ensuring the crew meets those expectations. But at the same time, I want crew leaders to be part of the broader leadership of the site. Have an input into the direction, be part of the conversation. The point is, we are all grown ups and you guys will be free as leaders to determine the direction/emphasis of your crew.

I.e. Crim may think elevation focus is the most important therefore he gets his guys to feedback a lot. Triz may think big battles and events are more important therefore his guys lead on things like Bloodlines, 1-2 punch league. We have special "invite only" boards where we could discuss these things "offline" as it were.

I think we just need to make it clear what the expectations & responsibilities are with regard to having a crew & being part of a crew. It shouldn't just be about the badge, it should be a mark of respect to be in a crew at all because it's a recognition that your crew put in work for the site.

You've obviously not read or fully taken on board what I've laid out in my original post. Whether or not you're right, I'm taking about moving to a place that's clearly way beyond what you described.

Also, there is already a "leader board" of sorts at the moment...the current crew page ranks crews by their average net win/loss position.

I do like the idea of making this more "all encompassing" and including elements you guys are describing. But (& it's a big but) that would require back-end development to the functionality of the site. Which requires Scottys access & expertise. Given his time is limited to dedicate to LA as it is, it's going to be a case of "prove you can make improvements within the current framework you have" before we'd be able to talk about back-end development.

That said, we've got ways of tracking 1-2 punch league stats, Topical Twist stats...so we can be creative and fulfil the same aim with an initially low-tech solution in the interim.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 7:20pm
^^Good point,I didn't focus that deeply from your first post, and I get the expanse and the diversity within a scale involved,but stiil it does act as a beacon for the way forward..peace.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 8:11pm
Well I have given this some thought, honestly though I have just gone full circle and returned to were I started.
My overwhelming feeling here......
"Admin, please don't go there"!
Yes make changes, delete the mess the last change to LA's crew status caused and regulate any new additions.
But don't force your hands on any crew that is active.
Unrealistic caps, endorsed through threats
I mean Cube for example, your own crew of sorts, the senior Mods are free to go AWOL for long assed spells or avoid bothering to have any hassles of making a visible input
Obviously that works for you, it's your team
For all I know they may be working furiously behind the scenes,
Could this not be the same for crews?
Everybody's input should be ORGANIC

Nobody likes carrying the dead weight man!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 9:57pm
*slaps head*

This is totally not meant to be a threat, quite the opposite. Guess people look for what they want to in my posts...

I'm offering to elevate the status of crews & include crew leaders in the broader leadership of the site. With that comes expectations, but that's no different from being a senior mod, a mod, or a street team member. I'm completely happy to stand by the whole staff's contribution & I'm not asking crew leaders do that much differently beyond taking a seat at the table.

That will involve us giving feedback around our expectations of crews to crew leadership, behind closed doors. You'd be more than welcome to give the same feedback to us, behind closed doors. I see this as a partnership and not as a way for us to beat you up.

All that said...if the current leaders didn't want to come on the journey and work with us, that's fine, but we'll seek different leaders who are prepared to lead from within your crews and if no leaders step up then that may mean your crew gets dissolved. Like I said before, I want to elevate the status of the crews and part of that means it becomes a mark of respect to even be in a crew at all. I don't really want people to talent hoard like I've seen in the past, so a crew cap is necessary. If anything this will contribute to more competition/rivalry between crews and an overall better and more enjoyable position for everyone all round who wants to be involved with a crew.

But...the whole point of this post & discussion is we'll listen to what you guys have to say and take it into consideration. This is not a finalised proposal or an announcement that these changes will be absolutely made in their current form. But we will reform the way crews work in one form or another.

-------------

Posted By: Exoduzt
Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 10:04pm
I'm ready to do whatever it takes to improve my crew and the crew section....I have to run but I'll drop more of my 2 cents when I get back

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2017 at 10:48pm
About the bruised forehead Cubes, you know I cant make further apologies for being an ass! It feels like a duty of mine round here lately, hopefully you will find it does run alongside with my positive input approach........
I do get you 100%, even more so after that last disclosure

I will take a seat at the table and I will work with LA, shit goes without saying! 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:00pm
Just to update people on my current thoughts on this. The crew cap could look a bit like this:

2 crew leaders
4 additional members

The crew leaders would have access to Site Discussion Forum along with the staff. For those of you who don't know that's an 'invitation only' board on the site.

I've gone through the crew boards and had a quick look at the main active crews and basically I think the only thing that would need to change from today is 1 crew would have to kick an inactive member & Empire would have to promote someone to coleader alongside Trizz. So basically not that much impact in the grand scheme of things.

The smaller crews would be dissolved (as things stand) & we'd leave the "legacy crews" in place until we can work out the best way to manage the transition into a kind of "archive". The crews I'm talking about here are: Renegades, Dynasty, X Fade, Vis

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:04pm
Might as well state the current ones I'd look to dissolve are: Aces Click, Hunger Games

I also think L.P. should be promoted to leader in Rebellion, potentially in place of H4ze but we can talk about that one. L.P. is just more active and is on Street Team anyway so this makes sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:27pm
good shit on this cubes

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:35pm
Just playing devils advocate, and ask some questions that haven been asked. .

what expectations would be set on crew members? 

Typically, there are standards already set by the crew leaders that need to be met. The purpose of a crew is really just to have a sub community within the community of like minded people who want to work together. Having to meet the standards of the administration while also having to meet the expectations of the crew guidelines may be enough to discourage people from being in crews, or starting a crew.  

Also, when i ran crews in the past, there was no real leader as i like everyone to have equal say and things are decided by a vote. Would a hierarchy be forced on crews by the administration? 

Also, would crew leaders be forced to sit at the table? Would it be a requirement that individuals looking to start a crew would have to meet? Or can they opt out and just carry on with their crew? 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:52pm
Crew leaders lead the crew...how they do it is up to them. To your point, the crew leaders would have a forum where they'd be able to shape and influence the expectations on the group as a whole & be able to say "actually that's not going to work for me because this is how I run the crew"...

Ultimately what I'm trying to say that those expectations should be aligned. A crew leader could potentially be "challenged" where it was perceived their crew wasn't pulling their weight or contributing enough. But it's meant to be a partnership, not the admin telling crew leaders what they need to do, or create rules and regulations or any dumb shit like that.

You're probably guessing where this is going to go but the answer to your only remaining question is, yes, crew leaders would have to sit at the table (or at least have a delegated representative) or they wouldn't have a crew. I feel this is important as that gives a crew an elevated status and becomes a privilege to be involved with a crew.

If people didn't want to participate in this system then you could have "unofficial" crews where you put something in your sig (a bit like the old New Era / LI guys used to do...i think it was those 2 crews anyway) but if people were doing that they wouldn't allowed to be involved in any "crew battles" or potentially "crew exclusive" events/tournies we may decide to run in the future.

The point is...the site needs to be self-sustaining. I want to make it the maximum enjoyable experience for those who do the right things and contribute to making this place a thriving community. If you do the right things (and you are a good example of that) we'll seek to find ways to reward, encourage and motivate you. That's what I want the leadership's time focused on increasingly and I want crews to feel they have an equal voice in shaping that direction.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:01pm
werd . . . im just asking the questions that will probably be asked. better to get it all ironed out in its infancy 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:13pm
Well I'm whole heartedly behind this,having roles gives purpose,id also like to back up
a claim Cuba made in this latest post,i'm proof that there is a reward system at LA,
I was made a street team member then mod for just voting and dropping feed here
and there,and being active as well as consistent,the way I see it were all posting and
doing the majority of these things already,so yeah I'm on board..

But I do have a question though Cuba,

My present crew was started up by Slip,and with me being the most active and also a leader,who goes to the table?,I mean if Slip goes and takes a seat (which he should
as he is the founder as such),and me being a mod and all,some leaders might see this
as an advantage for AE,so how do I make this work?..peace.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by rhetorical rhetorical wrote:

werd . . . im just asking the questions that will probably be asked. better to get it all ironed out in its infancy 

That's the point of the consultation!! I'm just answering

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:55pm
@Crim...you'd both have access to the Site Discussion Forum. I think it's sensible to have 2 leaders as 1 may not be active at any given time, plus that would also mean there was someone there to decide who the new coleader might be in the case one becomes inactive for a long period of time.

Obviously there will be some people within crews who are mods and/or on the Street Team, that's not a bad thing and really the two things should intertwine to an extent. Really my objective in the medium term would be that the way the staff system works is it complements the way the crew system works. Having someone on the staff is really good evidence your crew is making big contributions to the site. It shouldn't all be on the staff but that's one component of it.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2017 at 10:06pm
Check and thanks..

-------------

Posted By: AshleyKaos
Date Posted: 03 March 2017 at 10:20am
I think that the ideas you guys are proposing have good reasoning behind them as to why you think they should be implemented on the sight and in my opinion would only have a positive impact. The only thing i suggest though is you should make the member cap per krew a bit more than 5 perhaps 7 would be better imo. All and All I think its a good idea and approve. 

-------------
NUMBER 1 FEMALE MC TILL THE DEATH OF ME

Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 10:44pm
Thanks Ash...anymore opinions on this?

-------------

Posted By: Lord Puente
Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 11:33pm
what if someone who has been around made a dope la mag release to honor those crews and memebers and that diff time in general, and then just wipe clean all crews. maybe this sounds crazy but what if everyone just started fresh. I mean... everyone would have the ability to just make their same crew name and recruit same ppl. but do this and then change the requirments to create a crew, and enforce them, such as when there is not enough activie members. when someone has been inactive for 6 or more months they go back to free agent. ii think this would keep it clean and fresh.

give the leaders the powers you spoke about, and maybe change the names around of the hierarchy, like make crew leaders street team, make current street team into a diff name , lead team? iunno, then still have junior and senior mods. I mean do what ever you want with the names, but you get the concept. crew leaders will be United Nations)

-------------

Posted By: daydizzle89
Date Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:01pm
I think we need to make crews more active on a collective basis. We need solutions on encouraging crew responses, activity and such. Now most will go right to the "lets do a crew tournament". To me that isnt the answer. That will only have a temporary effect. That isnt what the crews need. Crews need to be more influential. Right now i feel like the "crews" is more of a gimmick. There has to be an avenue for Crews to gain incentives.

Boosting Crews and their activities.

1. Crew Drops Monthly - Every month (just like OMOTM) Crews have a collab with at least two of its members and we create a subsection for this in the OM section. Just an idea

2. Crew leaders have to check-in on LA weekly. This makes sure that the crew doesnt die off and people go awol. Just a thought

3. Magazine Articles on Crews and its members - These articles will be written and posted on the crews profile page.  I can start writing some Articles on different crews and before i post it up. i can make sure that the crew leader agrees with the article.

4. Fuck Yall page - Sorry but im adding this because its hard to start a good beef when everything is just verse vs verse. Fuck Yall gave more material and content to write on. Its just the truth. It brought out the worst in people and that was nice to see. Crews and people always had a channel to negatively express their nonsense. Much activity in (battles and Disses) came from the Fuck yall page.

5. Crew of the Year award - Giving to the crew with the most activity and helping the community as a whole.

6. Crew tournaments in the future done annually - This is only when we see the crews have been more prominent and active.

Just some ideas. Not saying they are perfect or that they will work but i feel that crews on LA have gone to shit because material isnt manifesting. Crews and the leaders need incentives. Just a thought. 

Posted By: Beans
Date Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:25pm
what was the downfall of the last crew tourney?

-------------
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ

Date Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:25pm
One thing that concerns me is that I feel the crew leaders should decide what the standards are within their own crew.  I feel there shouldn't be an outside source dictating what the standards should be.  Every crew is different.  I'm down with like maybe a monthly crew battle thing where certain members are selected from different crews to battle each other topical or heads up.  Then have like a crew standings so to speak.  

-------------

Date Posted: 08 March 2017 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Beans Beans wrote:

what was the downfall of the last crew tourney?

That's a good question & exactly the type of thing I'd want to discuss with crew leaders...if we understand why things work and why they don't then we are more likely to design things that are going to work in the future.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 March 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Exoduzt Exoduzt wrote:

One thing that concerns me is that I feel the crew leaders should decide what the standards are within their own crew.  I feel there shouldn't be an outside source dictating what the standards should be.  Every crew is different.  I'm down with like maybe a monthly crew battle thing where certain members are selected from different crews to battle each other topical or heads up.  Then have like a crew standings so to speak.  

It's definitely not about dictating. One of my main motivations for the crew cap is a desire to drive crews to decide what's most important to them in their roster and build their crew around that identity. If you have 6 members max then you can't collect 3 of the best topical heads, 3 of the best battlers and 3 of the best audio heads.

Think of it more as a conversation...I'd want a crew leader to be able to say to me "yo Cuba let's do x tournament" then we make it happen and none of your crew enter or do any voting I'd be like "come on man, if you want us to do a tourney then you need to mobilise your guys to show up and vote". It's in both our interests as a staff & as crew leaders to have loads of things going on that attract and engage our members. The crews have the scale to drive the activity that can make a huge impact on the vibrancy of the site.

That's where I'm coming from. I want us to be able to have conversations like grownups but do it from a place where everyone wants the same thing. A buzzing site that is a fun place to spend time.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 March 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Lord Puente Lord Puente wrote:

what if someone who has been around made a dope la mag release to honor those crews and memebers and that diff time in general, and then just wipe clean all crews. maybe this sounds crazy but what if everyone just started fresh. I mean... everyone would have the ability to just make their same crew name and recruit same ppl. but do this and then change the requirments to create a crew, and enforce them, such as when there is not enough activie members. when someone has been inactive for 6 or more months they go back to free agent. ii think this would keep it clean and fresh.

give the leaders the powers you spoke about, and maybe change the names around of the hierarchy, like make crew leaders street team, make current street team into a diff name , lead team? iunno, then still have junior and senior mods. I mean do what ever you want with the names, but you get the concept. crew leaders will be United Nations)

I hear what you're saying about starting fresh. Two main reasons I'd be against this at the moment are:

1. Generally I prefer evolution to revolution. Let's build on our strengths to improve.

2. When I look at the current crew leadership in place in the active crews I see a group of people who have the right mix of ideas, energy, and who care about the site. I'd rather try and work with this existing group then ripping everything up. For instance, I see Elision, Empire and I'm like "why do I want to rip down these crews?" when they've done a lot for the site. Really I want to enable them and others to do more.

I get that other crews aren't in exactly the same place and I'm willing to work with the new powers we've got as Senior Mods to reassign leaders where we need to so the balance is right.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 March 2017 at 10:36am
Dizz, I've run out of time but I'll get back at you later

-------------

Posted By: Slip
Date Posted: 10 March 2017 at 1:00am
i think its a dope idea cuba, and dizz has some good ideas to the only one i would disagree with is the checking in every week because theres times when im not active for a couple weeks out of time
but its good that your finally doing something with the crew section i know its bin in the works for a while
its good to see something happening with it, only suggestion i can add is it would be cool if the crew leaders had the power to delete threads  in there own crew forums  just to clean things up if the need be

-------------
See no evil speak no evil silent echo alter ego
inner demon violent beast so
warn the mother fucking people

Date Posted: 10 March 2017 at 1:26am
Yeah Cubes I'm down for a discussion...I just want the best for my crew and the site as well.  so lets set something up

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by daydizzle89 daydizzle89 wrote:

I think we need to make crews more active on a collective basis. We need solutions on encouraging crew responses, activity and such. Now most will go right to the "lets do a crew tournament". To me that isnt the answer. That will only have a temporary effect. That isnt what the crews need. Crews need to be more influential. Right now i feel like the "crews" is more of a gimmick. There has to be an avenue for Crews to gain incentives.

Boosting Crews and their activities.

1. Crew Drops Monthly - Every month (just like OMOTM) Crews have a collab with at least two of its members and we create a subsection for this in the OM section. Just an idea

2. Crew leaders have to check-in on LA weekly. This makes sure that the crew doesnt die off and people go awol. Just a thought

3. Magazine Articles on Crews and its members - These articles will be written and posted on the crews profile page.  I can start writing some Articles on different crews and before i post it up. i can make sure that the crew leader agrees with the article.

4. Fuck Yall page - Sorry but im adding this because its hard to start a good beef when everything is just verse vs verse. Fuck Yall gave more material and content to write on. Its just the truth. It brought out the worst in people and that was nice to see. Crews and people always had a channel to negatively express their nonsense. Much activity in (battles and Disses) came from the Fuck yall page.

5. Crew of the Year award - Giving to the crew with the most activity and helping the community as a whole.

6. Crew tournaments in the future done annually - This is only when we see the crews have been more prominent and active.

Just some ideas. Not saying they are perfect or that they will work but i feel that crews on LA have gone to shit because material isnt manifesting. Crews and the leaders need incentives. Just a thought. 

The first point you make it valid...for me it's about getting into the habit of doing things that are in the long term interests of the site.

Gotta run again ffs. To be continued.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 March 2017 at 7:16pm
Dizz, I will get back at you this week regarding the rest.

My current view is we're going to move ahead with this as it seems generally people are on board, even if there are some concerns about exactly how we do it.

In terms of those currently inactive crew, I will make a post with my plans and give people a chance to "save" them before we move to the new position.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2017 at 10:06pm
I have just deleted Aces Click as part of these changes...over the coming weeks I will be consulting with crew leaders and will announce when a final decision has been made.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2017 at 10:11pm
Nomedic, can you get in touch with me to discuss the future of Hunger Games?

-------------

Posted By: Trizzy Tre
Date Posted: 19 March 2017 at 11:23pm
Yo Cuba, you should probably see what's up with Lions Den.

Oh... Wait.....

-------------
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/dirtybird01/media/2h4klef_zpso6y9boj6.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: AxyRocker
Date Posted: 20 March 2017 at 9:36am
What if you award points to crews based on their members getting different positions in tourneys and other stuff
For eg 
10 points for winning a tourney
8 for runner up
5 for semi-finalists

It may not even be limited to tourneys only and points maybe awarded to voter of the month ,
KOTM etc
Also top feeder of the month should be elected with points for top feeder aswell

Now based on this a crew rankings should be started and once in a quarter/half year/annum top crew award shall be given

There's a lot of scope for this, 
1.One crew may loan a member to other crew for certain amount of crew points and in return all the points that the loaned crew member gets in that loan period shall be awarded to his current crew
2.Crews may bet their member based on battles or tourneys or any other criteria
To make it fair the crew that has been challenged may decide the type of battle and all its rules including time limit
3.An alliance page for crews who would like to work together as an alliance

Oh well ! am running out of time so thats all for now

-------------

Print Page | Close Window