Print Page | Close Window

Instrumental: Lucky Seven

Printed From: Lyrical Assault
Category: Emcee Lounge
Forum Name: Audio Mic
Forum Description: Where you can link to your own music.
URL: http://www.lyricalassault.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44790
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:11pm

Topic: Instrumental: Lucky Seven
Posted By: King Jehu
Subject: Instrumental: Lucky Seven
Date Posted: 10 April 2017 at 7:24pm
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/renegade-productions/lucky-seven[/soundcloud]

84 BPM
Key: E minor
Done in Logic Pro X
Samples Chris Squire - Lucky Seven, from the album "Fish Out Water."
I figure no one's gonna want to clear it for use in an official recording, so have at it.

8 Bar intro
16 Bar verses
8 Bar hook
Last hook repeats.

-------------
Insert something rappy here

Replies:
Posted By: Neek
Date Posted: 11 April 2017 at 2:49am
Mr Hu-Dini...

this shit was pretty dope, real subtle chill vibe. I was listening on mobile but didnt wanna leave this hanging. I liked that rolling bass at the 'end of the sequence'. I thought it was missing that real break-out breakdown, if you know what I mean? but overall, youve always had that fuego my friend.

-------------
#Bananas

Posted By: Lord Puente
Date Posted: 11 April 2017 at 2:57am
dope job on the beat man! nice to see someone dropping beats, we don't have to many beat makers. this was pretty well rounded it felt nice and complete.... but....bruh.... when you gonna post the other version? you know, the version with you killin it?!?!

-------------

Posted By: Elite
Date Posted: 11 April 2017 at 10:01pm
this is a nice relaxed beat, something i could definitely vibe to. the top parts to this beat are definitely the melody and the subtle string progessions. however, there is something that seems like its missing here, to give the beat that extra oomph. i dont think there are any sort of instruments lacking, i think its just that the verse sections get a little pretentious after a while. i think its like this mostly because of the main melody. i think it would sound REALLY chill and atmospheric if you put the main sample melody in lowpass for the verses, then bring it out on the hook, as well as turning it down a little. that could give a lot more room for your drums, as they sound a little too quiet while the melody sounds a little too loud. overall tho i think this is a pretty dope beat with a load of potential, it just needs a few tweaks to it. thats just what i think tho. good good shit bro

Posted By: Cuba
Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:40pm
The Who!!

I don't really know anything about beats so it's not easy for me to comment on specifics, but I liked the laid back vibe to it & I really liked what I'd call the "layered progression" of building up the secondary components. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about. As that'd make one of us.

Great to see you back!!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 April 2017 at 4:57pm
Thanks for the feedback.

Lord Puente, I don't write much these days, so if I were to record anything, it would have to be an old verse.

Elite, you are absolutely right. I don't always have the time these days to mix things properly. It requires time away from listening to it to come back with fresh ears. The main keyboard sample is louder than it should.

-------------

Posted By: Elite
Date Posted: 17 April 2017 at 5:20pm
word well this beat is still dope as is bro. maybe we could collab on a beat sometime soon

Posted By: Sammy
Date Posted: 20 April 2017 at 10:41pm
this is actually pretty fire man. to echo previous feeds, it had a very relaxing vibe. good shit man. the layered approach made it sound pretty epic lol. good shit bro

-------------

Posted By: harrydirtface
Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:08pm
nice looped sample to start with. funky grooves. i like it. 

the drums became kinda repetitive for me pretty soon to be honest. maybe some variation in the kicks and snares would've been nice.   

i'm quite indecisive so i couldn't figure whether i liked the other layers that you added to the beat but they sat well enough over the sample & drums for me not to hate it! 

good job, keep it up!!

Posted By: Kairo
Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 2:21am
Yo I think this beat is sick and like others have mentioned there's just a little something something missing. In my opinion it's the tone of the bass and the drums. They're fairly thin sounding and seem to be lacking some bass (tone). Fattening them up and rounding out the layers (as well as adding a bit more reverb or something on the entire thing to make it feel a bit more lush) should really do the trick, then again I don't make beats, it's just an idea. Other than that, the actual vibe/execution is dope. I'd easily just sit back and vibe out to this track. Hope someone goes over this sometime! LOVE the trumpets. 

Posted By: Crimson Juice
Date Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:53am
This was nice and mellow,atmospheric really is the vibe i got on listening,i thought it
Went well as instrumentals go this was nice,but i do agree with Elite there is something
missing,there was nothing breaking the flow up,like a little scratch or some sound
effects to add more character,it got to samey after 2 minutes for me,i think a moody
cello would of been a solid inclusion,or some chants every 15-20 second mark,you
wouldn't even have to mess with the main instrumentals just needed something
adding,still it was nice overall just rigid..peace.

-------------
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".

Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 4:16am
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to improve after all these years.

Harrydirtface, The drums have more going on towards the end of each 8/16 bar section. The verses and hooks end with a little drum flourish.

Kairo, the bass was originally a lead synth played low and EQ'd. I didn't want to make it too bassy, because there still has to be some vocals (ideally) over it. The sample would be a little lower to leave room for higher voices, but the lows left a bit of room for a deeper voice. There is a reverb on the snares, the strings, the sample and the horns. Reverb should be subtle, IMO.

Crimson, most beats should be kept simple, I think. If the instrumental has a lot going on, it gives the vocalist some freedom. No beats are final unless there's vocals on it. That's how good production works. I've wanted to add some guitars to this for a while now, but I just didn't have all that much time to plan for recording. MIDI is easy to work with, because it doesn't matter if you're in a room with ambient noise (That's the hardest part about recording acoustic instruments).

-------------

Posted By: Crimson Juice
Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:38am
^^I read you, and your point is truly valid,i think with me i make beats for instrumentals only,i like the Phil Spectre philosophy,(of a wall of sound approach),i also like how DJ
Format or Cut Chemist conduct their tracks,anyways still a nice beat overall,i would of
liked to of heard those guitars though but that's just me..peace.

-------------
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".

Posted By: -Orion-
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:25pm
So I'm listening on terrible earphones but

It's good - and it works like it is - but I have a feeling I'd like it more if it was quite a bit faster (hard to be certain I'm not outta my mind till you try it) I'd probably go without the strings, but keeping the horns (so, so good) and a bit more bang at the top of every fourth bar if not every two...because the sample is good but I feel like it could be given a bit more punch just with a quick, bassy hit of some kind... you know what I mean... that might tick the box of this 'something extra' people are talking about, without overpowering and leaving no space for the vocals (something I was routinely guilty of)... By the way I just got to the end and the strings at the end along with the horns are just perfect... You have a habit of that shit... dropping a bomb at the end of the track... you did that a few times way back then

Man, don't make me go spend on a new laptop, new this, new that...

-------------
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:33pm
Orion, fast beats are too last decade, foo.

I subtly messed around with the sample, added some sudden stops to the drums. I could not find any guitar sound that I felt added anything, so I left that alone. There is more reverb now, and the mix is much better.

Most importantly, I have made this version available for https://soundcloud.com/renegade-productions/lucky-seven-version-2" rel="nofollow - download . Since the soundcloud embed isn't working on post preview and I can't seem to edit posts here, I had to include the link.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/renegade-productions/lucky-seven-version-2[/soundcloud]

Note: If you rap on this beat, and are unhappy with your mix, let me know and I'll mix it! I'm trying to get more practice mixing vocals, and I'll tell you what I did you you can also learn.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window