Print Page | Close Window

lookin 4 help wit multis

Printed From: Lyrical Assault
Category: Emcee Lounge
Forum Name: Elevation Centre
Forum Description: If you want advice or tips to improve then this is the place to be.
URL: http://www.lyricalassault.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4579
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 12:26am

Topic: lookin 4 help wit multis
Posted By: Bolo
Subject: lookin 4 help wit multis
Date Posted: 20 November 2004 at 7:42pm
wonderin' if anyone had any solid tips or examples of long/big word (mos def - type) multis. jus curious...
would really apreciate it...

-------------
I am the one that knocks...

Replies:
Posted By: -Orion-
Date Posted: 20 November 2004 at 8:24pm

OK...

The art of rhymes will spark through time
My bars of grime kill with their sharp design
Discard the swine, here to test you in writtens
Dickin' asses fastest an' I ain't talkin homosexualism

That's just about all rhymes demonstrated there... (other than continuous rhymes, i.e. continuing one rhyme-scheme for more than a bar, which I didn't do as I only had two bars to work with)...

First of all let's get it straight, multi-syllable rhymes aren't multis. Multis are multiple rhymes... but they are pretty shit if you're like... I shat in a hat and smacked a cat... it CAN work effectively with single-sylls but that's generally used in an internal scheme if at all. Also remember rhymes in all music and poetry never have to be straight rhymes, because remember a rhyme is something which matches phonologically wit' its consonants (i.e. letters should be the same/sound similar) and has the exact same vowel sound... so you will come across a lot of multis using assonance and para-rhymes (half rhymes)...

Anyway, above you can see multiple, multi-syllable rhymes... They should appear multiple times on a line to be a multi. You see I have the will/kill scheme followin' the first set of rhymes on the first two lines... Then there's the transitional rhyme which is there to assist flow and cohesion (keepin' the spit workin' as a unit), then after that there are the internal multis which are there again to rhythmically animate the verse, then at the end of the line there is the second rhyme which rhymes with the line above...

You may call all that shit unnecessary, but in my opinion and in general you gotta see how much that makes it flow and sound good and it's a retention device too... if somethin' rhymes, it's easier to remember, and of course that's the art of rap, rhyming... without the rhymes it's nothing, bullshit.

You can mix up rhyme schemes as much as you want as long as you don't lose site of what it's there for...

Keep it RELEVANT... you ain't there to... STRING-AS-MANY-WORDS-IN-TO-LOOK-GOOD if you SING-WITH-KENNY'S-TURD-BIN-YOU-SHOOK-HOOD... because that makes no fucking sense. And also don't lose sight of the fact that yes rhymes show off vocab and lyricism to an extent but it's mainly a rhythmical thing, so make sure the rhymes MATCH... never have them off syllable... like...

I'm rippin' this fag and i'll put a clip inside your bag... See how rippin', clip in, works, but it loses it after there, "side" throws it off... Also remember syllable stress... the fact things don't always need to rhyme... like...

I'll KILL THIS DUDE WIT' FOUR BARS, you say you're ILLEST FOOL WHEN YOU'RE NOT?

Notice how when and wit' don't rhyme at all, but it still works fine because that syllable is unstressed, and as long as the word doesn't stress on it and matches syllables it should work... also notice how ILLEST wouldn't usually sound right with KILL THIS but you stretch ILLEST a bit so the rhyme sounds more apparent and effective rhythmically...

That's me done for now... 1

-------------
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .

Posted By: Senor Perfecto
Date Posted: 20 November 2004 at 8:31pm

I freestyle in realtime with my surreal mind...
I unreel refined lyrics and these kids steal mine...

Adios...

-------------
http://Soundclick.com/SenorPerfecto" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: 20theTruth
Date Posted: 20 November 2004 at 8:45pm
^^^ Bolo ask SP this guy syk w/ Multis....or Jehu

-------------
no more

Posted By: Bolo
Date Posted: 20 November 2004 at 8:56pm
thx O that helps, now it's up to me...
and i appreciate the heads-up 20, i'll keep an eye out for Jehu