Author
Goryo. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 4-4-0
Form: LWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goryo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rookie tournament idea
    Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:37am
In the vein of the guide I posted it's good to see guys evolve as writers and that's what we're all here for. LA is very newbie-friendly in terms of constructive criticism and other manuals but this would be a good idea to get the less experienced off on the right foot.

Basically I'm thinking of an 8 man tourney (with 4 bar battles), nothing too heavy to commit to for both the participants and voters. Something low maintenance that can go ahead smoothly. I think the main issue would be finding 8 willing and reliable participants, but the battles themselves will be short and sweet. My theory is that there is no better way to elevate your battle game than battling. You can write practice verses in a word document all you want but it's more effective if you have something on the line, someone to target, and a deadline to consider. It's a good way to build your experience alongside writers at the same level and potentially win a tourney.

Assuming it does go ahead, we could add certain stipulations to each round to bring participants out of their comfort zones (verse must contain wordplay in at least 2 bars etc). It's a good way of raising your standards when the pressure is on. I just think it's a good idea, and people who write tend to do it for enjoyment so we'd rather encourage than discourage.

Let me know what you all think.

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:54am
Very supportive of anything that promotes battling on the site. Have you got Skype? We could get a chat going between yourself, me and RKB to work out a plan.

One of my key questions would be - how do we define what a "rookie" is? As say, someone like Rhetorical is new to the site but is a beast. Someone like Neek or Sammy have very few battles on record but are very experienced. Then there are people with loads of battles but a lower ratio of wins to losses (e.g. AK, Rap Daemon - no disrespect intended guys!!).

Remember we had the 1 bar battle league last year, so if we could combine this idea with that & potentially some of the lessons we've learned from Battle Royale, IC2 and such we could have a powerful concept.
Goryo. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goryo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:35am
This was partly influenced by Rap Daemon's post in Blood Eclipse's callout. He wants to battle and get better. I don't think we should be picking and choosing who we think suitable rookies are but rather let them express their own interest. Obviously it is just 'rookie' in a battle sense so records (for the most part) are irrelevant cause like you say we have newer members who are experienced and dope heads who don't show much of an interest in battling regularly. Just members at a certain level battling-wise regardless of record, who want to reach a higher plateau. Yeah I have Skype I'll PM you.
AxyRocker View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 23-40-1
Form: LLLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AxyRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

Very supportive of anything that promotes battling on the site. Have you got Skype? We could get a chat going between yourself, me and RKB to work out a plan.

One of my key questions would be - how do we define what a "rookie" is? As say, someone like Rhetorical is new to the site but is a beast. Someone like Neek or Sammy have very few battles on record but are very experienced. Then there are people with loads of battles but a lower ratio of wins to losses (e.g. AK, Rap Daemon - no disrespect intended guys!!).

Remember we had the 1 bar battle league last year, so if we could combine this idea with that & potentially some of the lessons we've learned from Battle Royale, IC2 and such we could have a powerful concept.

Can't mods just decide it on their own based on experience or something for who is eligible? I mean we can have it split in two tourneys 
1) Champions' Tourney
2) Rookie tourney

Champions may include previous winners and runner ups from other tournies and mod recommendations
Rookie may guys who lost in first or second round of previous tournies and ofcourse mod recommendations

I like the idea tho , lets get it running

Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:51pm
Not a bad idea, as long as you can gather people, and most importantly have them show up. If its someone unproven or not highly active, or an entire torny with that level, could cause many no shows. Even normal torneys have issues and those are normally filled with more active members of LA...

Tough call if it's worth the time, but I like the idea and effort to build activity.
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:51pm
Also Cuba hit me up on PM bro..
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Site Owner
Site Owner
Speaker of Wisdom & Truth

Stats: 3-4-0
Form: WLLWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scotty32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Trizzy Tre Trizzy Tre wrote:

Not a bad idea, as long as you can gather people, and most importantly have them show up. If its someone unproven or not highly active, or an entire torny with that level, could cause many no shows. Even normal torneys have issues and those are normally filled with more active members of LA...

Tough call if it's worth the time, but I like the idea and effort to build activity.

Over the many many many years of LA, ice found no shows are more likely to come from regulars than newbies. Just saying.
Great and Glorious Supreme Presidential Leader of the People's Democratic Republic of LA
Amgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-3-0
Form: LLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:23pm
I'd be down
Blood Eclipse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Pending

Stats: 0-4-0
Form: LLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blood Eclipse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:38pm
Whenever the shit get started, count me in Lords
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Scotty32 Scotty32 wrote:

Over the many many many years of LA, ice found no shows are more likely to come from regulars than newbies. Just saying.

cubes and scottsdale same person? confirmed?

#Bananas
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:39pm

Originally posted by Trizzy Tre Trizzy Tre wrote:

Not sure where you'd get those impossible stats from when we can hardly define what a newb or rookie is at the present moment.

But if that's the case, then it speaks volumes about the site in a poor poor way.

Always a pleasure Scotty.

Edited by Trizzy Tre - 12 May 2017 at 9:54pm
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Neek Neek wrote:

Oooooohhhhhhh!!!!!
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:06pm
I've got to be truthful i like this idea,and although i'm not a newbie,(but where battling is
concerned im a novice),and i'd be willing to through my name in the hat,the only thing
we got to be mindful about is this,that we don't create a 2 tier system,or battle league
come to that,we don't want to be seen putting labels or sticking newbies in boxes or
places,this site is all about growth,not placement....food for thought..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Superior Member
Superior Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trizzy Tre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:19pm
Really good point Crim.
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Neek Neek wrote:

Illuminiati confirmed.

Yeah I echo Crims thoughts really, from people who have been in touch and commented it seems like there is an appetite for this. Obviously we have a two tier league system in the Topical Twist which works quite well although that's not technically rookie/heavyweight I've tried to make it evolve so the matches are relatively even over time.

We've also got to be careful about keeping it fresh for people. You don't want a league where you battle the same couple of guys again and again and again too.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:00am
I think the answer to this would be to include a newbie section in the next major
tournament,say BL/BR ect,start the newbie tourney just before the main event,and
the winner from the newbie pool say,earns a spot in the last 4in the main event,just
a thought plus its encouragement and stimulates activity longer,(which in turn can
retain them to this site,win win),Ridley Scott.lol is proof of that in a sense..peace
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:00am
Shit...lol...just read Axy post,but still it'll generate activity..peace.

J pens View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J pens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:03am
Sign me up
Goryo. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goryo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:05am
Yeah Crim I know what you mean about labelling etc. I know a lot of sites go with the light/middle/heavyweight belt approach which I think is pretty wack cause the lines are too blurred and egos/opinions come into it a lot. The tourney doesn't need to have any mention of rookies but yeah just a group of guys at a certain level battling each other to gain experience and some wins under their belts (worst case scenario back to the drawing board with new insight). The winner gets the bragging rights of winning a tourney to go with all the experience it brings too.
The Rap Daemon View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 6-14-0
Form: LWLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Rap Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:36am
I'm interested. My issue is lack of polish and forcing verses rather than actually taking the time to make something to my true potential, which is a, "rookie mistake".
Faggot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic