Author
-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Crew: Renegades

Text Rank: #1
Stats: 90-4-1
Form: WWWWNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spit for Rank - Rules and Guidelines
    Posted: 29 January 2006 at 1:41pm

Before reading this you should already know the Site Rules and Battle Rules

The idea of Spit for Rank is to separate battlers into leagues of similar ability, so those ranked are done so amongst MCs of a similar skill level.

The skill levels are broad, given there are only three ranks: Professional, Amateur and Novice. Don't take the word's meaning too literally in your rank, don't think of yourself as an amateur battler just because you have the Amateur rank.

Ranks are decided by the rank team, which is currently:

ILLA
señor perfecto
King Jehu
-Orion-
IceC
Stalin

To be eligible to rank, you have to be both of PRO rank and Vet status. No other members are allowed to officially rank you, any posts by other members are simply opinions.

Ranks, currently, are only being given to text, as the audio division is still inactive.

• You may Spit for Rank ONCE A MONTH ONLY - this is to avoid constant posting from the same members. Choose what you submit wisely
  • You may submit any of your written work; rap battles are preferable as your rank is primarily for the battle ranks
  • Your verse must be between 12 and 32 lines
  • You will be judged on your overall performance on LA, but consistency at one level won't grant you status in the level above
  • Ranks may be dropped at any time with or without warning if a member is seen to be lacking and all three judges agree. You will be informed via Private Message if it is dropped, this is primarily in place to prevent new members using their best verse to get a high rank, when their standards are otherwise lower
  • Inactivity will NOT lose you your rank, however if you don't log in for 2 months you are automatically removed from the rankings regardless, logging back in returns you to the ranks where you were before

Lastly, and most importantly: this is spit for rank, not bitch for rank; persistent or excessive complaining may result in ban points or you losing the privelege to get ranked, which would mean you are ineligible to vote or battle on LA. You will be ranked FAIRLY irrespective of your reputation on LA or any problems you have with the judges.

Edited by -Orion- - 02 May 2006 at 3:29pm
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
Senor Perfecto View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
1st Battle Winner! AM I 'ECK

Crew: XFade: Phoenix

Text Rank: #6
Stats: 66-36-2
Form: WLWLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senor Perfecto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 5:55pm

• Ranks are decided by a panel of three Members...  ¿Who decided on the panel...?
  • ¿Who ranks the panel of judges...?
  • ¿How do we ensure that ranking is fair...?
  • ¿Does the rank affect our membership on LA...?
  • ¿Will there be an Open Mic Rank...?
  • ¿What are the criteria for the different ranks...?

Adios...

-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 6:44pm
  • I suggested the panel but it was subject to Scotty's approval
  • We ranked ourselves... there were no ties so there was no need to go external, we all unanimously called ourselves PROs (or Wankers/Winston...inside joke)
  • Fair is a relative term... we, just as Moderators do (and those two are Mods) won't incorporate our bias into our duty here... of course all you have to go on here, just like with Mods, is our word, so either trust us, or don't
  • The ranking will effect the points you get for beating each member (3 for beating a PRO, 2 for AMA and the regular 1 for NOV)... I am currently goin' through all the archives actually amendin' this battle by battle (I'll be a while, any help is welcome); so it'll make ranks more accurate, hopefully, as well as separating people into divisions they're more fitted to, so people such as Abstrakt and DevanX aren't ranked higher than IceC and Lawless
  • No, because there is no Open Mic ranking... Topical (which is essentially the same thing) and Audio are more appropriate suggestions... Topical will be incorporated into the battle one... you rarely come across people who only topical anyway, but if there ever are any (Anubis) then they will be given their rank according to their topical standard... Battling is the dominant force in deciding your rank, as you are being ranked on the battles page; an Audio ranking system will be put up if the Audio section is ever active
  • There are no set criteria; this is art not science...trying to create set criteria is impossible... It's judged more or less on the sort of things I say in my tutorial...no, not because it's mine, I mean ILLA and IceC are two-thirds (the majority) and I nor anyone else "told" them to "use" anything to decide, I only answer saying my tutorial 'cuz I'm sure they will end up usin' a lot of the factors brought up in it naturally, because those are the sort of things generally considered when voting or critiquing...but it's up to each individual, that goes for the ranker as well as the rankee

Edited by -Orion-
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
I-kontinue View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

The Sovereign

Crew: The Dynasty

Text Rank: #3
Stats: 46-9-0
Form: WWWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote I-kontinue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 10:25pm
I have two points to make or maybe its just something I'M not understanding...

Orion, I dont think you should go through the battle archives and award more points for if someone beat a pro, ama or nov becuase what if someone beat me when I was wack...Even though I'm considered "pro" right now, they'd still get 3 points for beating me a long time ago?
...i think NOW that the rankings are set up you should go by addin extra points for when someone beats another person....starting today...

...and ma 2nd question/point...
when you say points, do you mean "wins"? some one would get 3 wins for beatin someone of pro level? and if that IS the case...if a person loses to a pro, do they also get -3 points?

Edited by Game
-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 3:51am

First point... I see you, which is what has made it tricky, it was temptin' to take each battle into consideration based on the person's skill level at the time but that would involve rankin' everyone for every battle I do and it'd end up takin' ages... I dunno, it's complicated but overall it'll do more positive than negative impact

When I say points I mean points...look at the battle ranks... Scotty's got wins, losses and points... We're all ordered by points... points used to be = wins - losses... now it's = wins - losses - no-shows... but soon it will = wins (+bonuses) - losses - no-shows...

And no, if you lose you get 0 points regardless of who you lose to... but a PRO gets 3 points for beatin' another PRO, just as an AMA gets 3 points for beatin' a PRO, and a NOV does...

It seems flawed...but to me, it's better than nothin'...and I guess it's here to be evaluated, and it's best any changes are made ASAP, so ya know, throw 'em all out... even if you think the shit should be scrapped altogether whatever, if we get everythin' aired out then I and any others relevant can continue to work on sortin' shit out... 'cuz I ain't gonna continue goin' through the archives now till I'm sure this shit is goin' ahead, for example

They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 5:21am
I actually like that points idea...stops you from battlin shit people and climbin the ranks faster
NepentheZ View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
... { 26 } ...

Stats: 40-32-1
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NepentheZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 9:21am

only thing i disagree with, (and this is entirely from a biased POV.) .. is the spit for rank.

I HATE the spit for rank, because it puts so much pressure on you to spit good and look tight infront of your peers. When Diadem came to the site, if he used Divergance as his "spit for rank" he would have undoubtedly been ranked Pro. But in out battle, i clearly doenst show pro status.

Also ... (i think this is a loop hole) ... if a person get ranked by points from battles. why do they have to spit for rank? why not start every noob as a novice, regardless of other site history, because this is LA, they have to prove themselves here to be a pro, not on the back of one spit.

I'm so fucking intelligent, half the time I don't even know what I'm saying...
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 10:02am
If all newbies start off as pro at what point do they become ama or pro?...I like that idea definately but can see potential pitfalls
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 10:03am
i meant novice
-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 10:34am

Yeah... like people could "earn" PRO from 100 NOV wins as opposed to 30 PRO or 50 AMA ones... you can't make it a numerical value because that's a system still subject to being taken advantage of

As for Diadem... yes, that's true, but I do say in the post that we reserve right to drop your rank if you start doing badly, now he dropped one piece that was solid PRO, then a battle that was solid AMA, if we had already ranked him PRO he would have remained as such... following more drops we'd have made an assessment from there...given he's barely been back, there is also the factor that if he's inactive for 2 months his name will automatically disappear off the battle ranks... but yeah, once in a while ranks will be reassessed by the judges I guess, no set pattern, just one day me ILLA and Ice might decide on MSN someone's no longer PRO or whatever

They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
NepentheZ View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
... { 26 } ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NepentheZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:03pm

iight .... but i still dont like spit for rank.

I get the point of the "earn Pro" by 100 Nov wins, but NO ONE is gonna get that many wins in any short amount of time, also, you could use discretion as to whether, even after a hypothetical 100 wins, the person is a pro or not.

Edited by NepentheZ

-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:10pm

Well no u couldn't use discretion because if you have a mathematical system in place discretion isn't necessary and would only cause controversy; whereas this is 100% reliant on the discretion of the judges and anyone spittin' for rank knows this already

100 was a hypothetical number, if it were to be put into practice it would never be even close to that high - which is another problem - people could just boost their way to the rank they want then sleep...whereas here, if they do try that sorta thing, we have our discretion on hand to demote them, but if you do that when there's a set system based on numbers in place, there's no fair way about it

They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
NepentheZ View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
... { 26 } ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NepentheZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:16pm

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:23pm
I decide Tequila isn't a pro...seriously
-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:38pm
Well it's 2 to 1 anyway...so that doesn't really change his rank ya digg
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
NepentheZ View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
... { 26 } ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NepentheZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:43pm
WOW .... ya'll think people are gonna fall for that? a staged disagreement to show that the 2 / 1 X Factor style judging works. Good stuff, i think i actually believed it for a jiffy.

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 1:03pm
Conspiracy theorist
NepentheZ View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
... { 26 } ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NepentheZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 1:12pm
Conspiricist.

Senor Perfecto View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
1st Battle Winner! AM I 'ECK

Crew: XFade: Phoenix

Text Rank: #6
Stats: 66-36-2
Form: WLWLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senor Perfecto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 1:21pm

¡Hola...!

Previous records should not be changed as no Member is qualified to judge on past events...

All LA Members are equal...  We are all worth one Win or one Loss...  With the old system... Score = Wins - Losses...  Then this was adapted... Score = Wins - Losses - No-Shows...

The benefit of the old system was that it was based on recorded figures...  To progress up the ranks... you needed to win more battles... regardless of who you were battling...  All Wins and Losses were given the same credit...  Simple and effective...

Ranks remind me of ineffective MSN-sites...  It judges Members before and after every battle...  A Win against a Member ranked Pro is not worth three times more than a Win against a Member ranked Novice...  If so... then losing to a Novice is three times worse than losing to a Pro...  The new system is inconsistent...  Members will be encouraged to vote based on the ranks... and not the verses...

What is more important than Ranks is how every Member is regarded by each other... and not just by a designated panel of three...

All systems are open to abuse...  The previous system was not fool-proof... but it did not call for the judgement/opinion of any Members however informed they might be...  Bitching and controversy still went on in the Battle Fields but... unless you were Illa... you could not alter your score...

A revamp or program modification is fine... but a complete overhaul of the battle system is not what LA needs...

Finally... ranks should not be on the left-hand panel...  They should scroll across the bottom of our screens in flashing fonts...

Adios...

Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 1:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic