Forum LockedText Battle Archive: [Text] E.V.P. vs Nigma (5-3)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 7-4-0
Form: WWLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Text] E.V.P. vs Nigma (5-3)
    Posted: 04 December 2014 at 1:23am
Topic = Sacrificing the other during a zombie apocalypse.
20 lines
House Rules

Edited by spume corrupt - 04 December 2014 at 8:53pm
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2014 at 5:12am

Jog away from the afflicted who all crave my frame of mind

Wanting brains, and in the state I’ve been lately, may get mine

So dispute the plagued endeavors or expect the same demise

Because the future is discredited when yesterdays a lie.

Beyond the day we fight the haze of night, squadmate and I

We wait to leave until they’re feeding but they seen us. Shit..

It was me or him, he’s bleeding and they fiend for it

So when EVP tripped, my eyes meet his in a fleeting glimpse

I instantly retreated, he’s a bit of a bitch and the beasts reach him quickly

They attack him persistent in the midst of an animalistic rapture of skin

It’s actually sickening, grabbing at the gashes and ripping, I had to witness

Vicious as a cannibal man on a mission except his mannibals missing

Seen them suck his soul, leavin him with lumps and growths

The blood quits flowing abruptly in just a moments notice

It’s cold so it must have frozen, then hes up arose n runnin for me

I’ve got one shot that I bust off, his puss globules erupt, exploding

He come so close, when the gun unloaded it bucked his motion

I terrorized his running ghost but fuck him and his muddied focus

Tried to stare him in the eyes but theres nothing above his shoulders

I wasn’t scared that night, prepared and now upset the fun is over..

E.V.P. View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 7-4-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E.V.P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 11:54pm

It’s too late.

In an instant, I realized time is precious.. I’m fine but my family’s infected, vanity’s a blessing.
And I love them no less so it won’t be a slow death.. No cure, it’s the man in me confessing.
Take stock of days lost, I wonder if I’ll change.. Wife n kids are going through my brain a lot.
Misread all the signs that I came across.. N now my heart so heavy, it’s almost a pain to walk.
But I can’t stop, lost n exhausted.. Tears flow with fear, a lil reflection mirrors how I felt today.
They say LA’s overrun.. Riot of braindead biters but it’s quiet as the sun begins to melt away..
Still, everyday’s a battle to stay fresh.. Zombies try to take flesh, sucks how easily it happens.
Remain calm despite the death that awaits us.. We wake up n see what we can scavenge.
Food n water, medicine n ammo, collect weapons like Rambo.. Are we forgetting anything?
Transportation to greener pastures.. This could be the Rapture, I’m not embellishing a thing.

The next day.

I staggered forth from the tree-line n b-lined to an overturned bus in the middle of the road..
But little did I know a hooded figure lingered.. Zoomed in, his movements deliberate n slow.
“Stop!” ..By chance met Nigma, he posted up.. Sniper in hand for those that get close enough.
Before I knew it a horde came into view, forced to do it.. “Work together n there’s hope for us.”
Reluctantly, he let his guard down.. They weren’t far now.. Could hear the moaning n shuffling.
He laid his gun on the ground, knew I had to take-arms ..Know he didn’t notice me chuckling.
As I feel cold steel, I uppercut the gun butt to his throat.. Stunned, he did nothing but choke.
Befuddled he bumbled about, we struggled but his comeuppance provoked, enough of this joke.
Lifted instead.. Let him roll off my back, kicks to the head to crush those dreams of making it.
Push him over the edge.. They start to rip him to shreds cause there’s no getting away from it.

It’s still survival of the fittest.

god almighty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote god almighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2014 at 10:19pm
I'm gunna go ahead as the new guy and say Nigma won it. Seemed to have better flow, and made more sense. E.V.P's seemed a bit...disjointed.
Kneel before the God of Death
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2015 at 9:46pm
god almighty, your votes need to be a bit better than that. 
Check out some of battles in the text battle archives to get an idea of what votes are accepted.  

It doesn't have to be crazy long, but vote with at least a few sentences and give a little bit of detail as to why the winner won, and why the loser lost. If you want to extend that a little bit with something that the battlers would appreciate more you can drop in some feedback on what you though both battlers could have done better. 
Go my Minions!

The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2015 at 3:45am
Nigma - Pretty dope verse, i thought it was the typical approach you could take on this topic. Although, I realize it's a very narrow selection of what approach you can take on it. I thought you did a good job progressing through the sacrifice of EVP and you showed some decent imagery skill in certain bars of your verse. Flow and rhyme schemes were on point, and your use of vocabulary throughout your schemes remain one of your best features. On a critique side, although the imagery was good in some bars, with a topic like this I thought you could have been a bit more cold, gory. Felt you could have dug a bit deeper with imagery into the scene where the zombies got EVP. Good stuff though. Solid verse for the battle.

EVP - You took more of the build up approach right before the sacrifice. You definitely surprised me with your verse. There were some parts of it where the detail and wording was very well done. 
"They say LA’s overrun.. Riot of braindead biters but it’s quiet as the sun begins to melt away."
"Food n water, medicine n ammo, collect weapons like Rambo.. Are we forgetting anything?
Transportation to greener pastures.. This could be the Rapture, I’m not embellishing a thing."

On that note, a bit of critique is the wording as well. As good as you shined in sections with your wording, I thought the longer lines, led you to stretch them out a bit and it didn't make the flow as smooth in some of your bars that had the good internals in them. I thought the ending could have been a bit more emotional and dramatic as you built the whole storyline around sacrificing him at the end. But there were definitely times reading it that you had me hooked in your verse and really enjoying it. 

MVGT: EVP - This was one of the hardest votes I've had to do in awhile. I read the verses a few days back and didn't vote, and had to read it twice just now to come to a conclusion. Both of you shined in different areas. And it came down to the fact that there were parts of EVP's verse that really had me hooked in while I was reading it. He did well building up his mindset and then putting together the day of the sacrifice. Next time I'd suggest more lines, because the limit could be what was prohibiting the better detail and imagery as there wasn't a lot of room to waste with the story progression. 

Go my Minions!

AshleyKaos View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Voter of The Month

Stats: 28-63-3
Form: LWLLNQ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AshleyKaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 4:51am
This. Was an okay topical but I think both of you could have been a little bit better
NIGMA -
FAVORIT EXCERPT
" It’s cold so it must have frozen, then hes up arose n runnin for me I’ve got one shot that I bust off, his puss globules erupt, exploding He come so close, when the gun unloaded it bucked his motion I terrorized his running ghost but fuck him and his muddied focus "
I think that you could have constructed your wording a little better to make it more smooth because it seemed kind of choppy but I think that your imagery was on point and you stayed on topic consistatntly through ouut... liked your vocabulary u used in your imagery.
EVP- OK...so I thought that your rhyming was kind of off to..(wtf guys?) Lol I liked you first paragraph more then your second. As the verse went on you kinda started gradually going all over the placewith your wording .....I think that you threw some style in there which I liked and gave your piece more of the story telling types feel which I also liked but I felt that you could have excecuted a bit more consustencey topic wise.

Honestly this is a pretty close one and it comes down to wording and personal style preference to make this decision. For me at least but

MVGT-EVP
NUMBER 1 FEMALE MC TILL THE DEATH OF ME
Slap Banger View Drop Down

Stats: 3-9-0
Form: LLLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slap Banger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 9:41am
Straight to the point! Both were careless about rhyming, especially end rhymes.

Both Nigma and E.V.P had great imagery but when it comes to wording Nigma had it.
E.V.P lines were too stretched and it killed a better flow.

This was a great topical battle though.Cause He flowed better

MVGT-NIGMA
Words words words my Lord, just words
JBrenn View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 40-26-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBrenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2015 at 5:23am
2-1 evp
AxyRocker View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 23-40-1
Form: LLLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AxyRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 5:21am
Great work guyz, This was a dope topical.

Nigma - Great use of vocabulary and really fine verse. Could have worked on the imagery part like giving details about some specific important events. Yet a nice read verse.

EVP - Dope verse. You had the verse builded up for a great imagery. Very nice use of wordings and detailed part of events give you an edge. And I really dunno if you give something to the structure in Topicals but man! This guy had like a syllable and length perfect verse throughout.

But I can’t stop, lost n exhausted.. Tears flow with fear, a lil reflection mirrors how I felt today.
They say LA’s overrun.. Riot of braindead biters but it’s quiet as the sun begins to melt away.. '

For a topical I believe imagery is the priority part. So,
MVGT - EVP cuz imagery is the priority
Rapper T View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Stats: 22-27-0
Form: LLLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rapper T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 6:52am
Topic = Sacrificing the other during a zombie apocalypse.

Jog away from the afflicted who all crave my frame of mind

Wanting brains, and in the state I’ve been lately, may get mine

Good flow to the first bar, commas weren't really needed in the second line, nice inner rhymes though I thought you would bring more complexity to 'em, it set a scene

So dispute the plagued endeavors or expect the same demise

Because the future is discredited when yesterdays a lie.

Good flow as per the 1st bar, flowed on nicely, again more complexity would be cool to see but as it was, the inners were smoothly ordered like ooh, aye, ehh, ehh, aye, ai; ooh, ehh, ehh, aye ai, just an extra aye before the second ehh could have had that line read with more fluidity

Beyond the day we fight the haze of night, squadmate and I

We wait to leave until they’re feeding but they seen us. Shit..

Story set well and still rolling with the flow in this bar connecting the last and next bars, your rhymes here are day, haze, mate; leave, feed, seen. Again more complex multisyllabilic in your inner rhymes would add depth to your skillset

It was me or him, he’s bleeding and they fiend for it

So when EVP tripped, my eyes meet his in a fleeting glimpse

Story still going good in this bar, the second line felt stretched like the following bar. It sped up the flow a bit too which added some suspense, but for instance that last line could have been just like 'so when EVP tripped, our eyes met in a fleeting glimpse'. Multis better in this bar too just cos I'm a fan of multis through verse helping it flow, this bar was aiit

I instantly retreated, he’s a bit of a bitch and the beasts reach him quickly

They attack him persistent in the midst of an animalistic rapture of skin

quickly stood out as the wrong word to me, it flowed better if that word was 'quick', multis were ok again but stretched some, still holding well with the concept

It’s actually sickening, grabbing at the gashes and ripping, I had to witness

Vicious as a cannibal man on a mission except his mannibals missing

mannibal looked like it should have been mandible, otherwise I liked this bar

Seen them suck his soul, leavin him with lumps and growths

The blood quits flowing abruptly in just a moments notice

Liked this bar and the multis up in it, the comma in that first line probably not needed and the growths/notice was a stretched rhyme, felt forced

It’s cold so it must have frozen, then hes up arose n runnin for me

I’ve got one shot that I bust off, his puss globules erupt, exploding

This bar's aiit, still some complexity in those inner rhymes and the flows ok, still on topic

He come so close, when the gun unloaded it bucked his motion

I terrorized his running ghost but fuck him and his muddied focus

Good focus on the topic with good inner rhymes and multis, flows good and intensity is the word, good intensity in this bar, fav bar of yours in the battle

Tried to stare him in the eyes but theres nothing above his shoulders

I wasn’t scared that night, prepared and now upset the fun is over..

Another small edition to the punctuation in that a comma could have come after the 'prepared' to get that flow right on point but a nice end to a nice stanza. The inner multis were average in the last bar but still on topic. Expected something of a twist in the ending but the predictable ending still worked out.

It’s too late.

Tbh these little statements seemed like unnecessary afterthoughts. They didn't add much to your rap for me.

In an instant, I realized time is precious.. I’m fine but my family’s infected, vanity’s a blessing.
And I love them no less so it won’t be a slow death.. No cure, it’s the man in me confessing.

Looks more like long bar style to your drop at first impression, flow was aiit, some of the complexity in your multis had them seem stretched. First drop I've read from you but your style is aiit

Take stock of days lost, I wonder if I’ll change.. Wife n kids are going through my brain a lot.
Misread all the signs that I came across.. N now my heart so heavy, it’s almost a pain to walk.

Liked this bar, related to it aiit, feels like a scene is being set. Only indication of it being aligned with the topic so far is the word 'infected' in the 1st bar but keeps the reader interested cos of the concept developing, idk if this was intentional or not. 'heart so heavy' could have been like laden heart to fit in with the multis of the inners but 2nd bar was aiit

They say LA’s overrun.. Riot of braindead biters but it’s quiet as the sun begins to melt away..

1st and second bars were more thought out it seems looking at this bar, you've got felt today/melt away but the rest of the bar looks to be fairly void of inner rhymes. Keeping with the topic in knowing what it is with the 'braindead' word otherwise it still seems to be setting a scene and it might have been a good idea to have delved more into the topic by this bar

Still, everyday’s a battle to stay fresh.. Zombies try to take flesh, sucks how easily it happens.
Remain calm despite the death that awaits us.. We wake up n see what we can scavenge.

Inner and outer rhymes were ok, some more complexity with your rhyme scheme would be good to see in that it would link the lines of the bar with more flow

Food n water, medicine n ammo, collect weapons like Rambo.. Are we forgetting anything?
Transportation to greener pastures.. This could be the Rapture, I’m not embellishing a thing.

Your rhymes here are ammo/rambo, anything/ing a ing and pasture/rapture which seemed forced/stretched although it rhymes in a poetic sense. Again more complexity would help your style evolve and would have been good to see. Knowing what the topic is I see how this fits but to a reader that didn't it still could be seen that the topic/concept is being developed halfway into the stanza

The next day.

I staggered forth from the tree-line n b-lined to an overturned bus in the middle of the road..
But little did I know a hooded figure lingered.. Zoomed in, his movements deliberate n slow.

Would have liked to see a 'didda didda doh' rhyme in the start of the first line, I guess the tree-line/b-line thing rhymed and made up for it. I still have to look at the topic of the verse when reading this bar, still hasn't connected with the topic by the 6th bar to me

“Stop!” ..By chance met Nigma, he posted up.. Sniper in hand for those that get close enough.
Before I knew it a horde came into view, forced to do it.. “Work together n there’s hope for us.”

A 'doh dih duh' rhyme in the start of the second line would have added flow to this bar rather than the fore I knew it/forced to do it. There seems to be a lack of clarity in the writing of the second line like was the horde forced to do it or were you forced to say 'work together...'? Feels like it is still building up to be on topic in this bar

Reluctantly, he let his guard down.. They weren’t far now.. Could hear the moaning n shuffling.
He laid his gun on the ground, knew I had to take-arms ..Know he didn’t notice me chuckling.

I see it's somewhat a style you use in that you go rhyme a, rhyme a, rhyme b, rhyme c, rhyme c, rhyme b in these bars, the second inner rhyme of the second bar didn't quite fit for me. Otherwise this bar was ok, still feels like it's building up to the topic though and it's quite late in the verse to be doing that

As I feel cold steel, I uppercut the gun butt to his throat.. Stunned, he did nothing but choke.
Befuddled he bumbled about, we struggled but his comeuppance provoked, enough of this joke.

An opinion thing only but the cold steel part of the first line didn't quite fit for me in the flow though it's a good descriptor, rhythmically it didn't fit. Still not quite on topic, I'm not sure really as a reader what is happening at this point of the stanza tbh

Lifted instead.. Let him roll off my back, kicks to the head to crush those dreams of making it.
Push him over the edge.. They start to rip him to shreds cause there’s no getting away from it.

On topic in the last bar where you say: 'Push him over the edge.. They start to rip him to shreds' but I really only know that by knowing what the topic is. Similar to Nigmas, you used a predictable ending. It would be a good idea to try to write the piece on topic earlier in the verse maybe and to be on topic throughout more vividly so that even in not knowing what the topic is it's evident right the rhyme through. You have a really cool style that seems random in parts of your verse and although you seem fairly new to topical battling you told an aiit story and weren't completely off topic. Multis could use some elongating in some places but an aiit read.

It’s still survival of the fittest.

Yep.

For being closer to the topic and a match with flow and other elements MVGT Nigma.

nomedic View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Hunger Games

Stats: 35-25-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nomedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 11:35am
nigma 

i liked the flow you had and the rhymes you also out here i felt you couldve made something better with the concept like branch out more but regardless it was pretty top drawer stuff your rhymes helped me as a reader to enjoy everyline

e.v.p

i thogught you also had a nice verse but i felt most the lines were over stretched as far as the plot goes i felt you started out well but half of the piece didnt look neat due to the line length and as i tried readin out your verse and the flow was ruined by that

overall real tough one but mvgt nigma

The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 10:40pm
If you are online and haven't voted on this battle, it's time to vote. It's been up for way too long. 
Go my Minions!

Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2015 at 12:59am
I'm pretty pisse let the honesty flow

Nigma- Yu are normally he master of the mechanics of puttin rhymes together but this was not one of them. The end rhyme were really stop start an start it was too shrt a piece to get away with it. The content was okay , but not great. The mention of your opponent was unnecessary aswell. I got the feeling you ddin't put much time in an the piece suffered.  Moments of qquality but didn't think ths was one of your stronger pieces.

Evp -  You were clearer in your approach to the topic than nigma. Although i felt the line length was a bit long it was the more coherent piece. You painted the picture of the topic better. I've seen better but with the amount of lines you had you articulate a more well rounded look at the subject. You di better with the story within the short amount of lines available.

My vote e.v.p for capturing the subject in a clearer narrative. 
#bananas
Shankley View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 37-43-1
Form: WNLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shankley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2015 at 3:26pm
EVP: I liked the approach here you kind of tackled it head on and you executed it well. You had a decent story line and your imagery was nice. It painted a good picture, i felt you stayed to the topic better and built up your story well to the climax. I liked how you separated the days into paragraphs that was a nice touch made it look like separate times. Great verse bro, you hit the topic well and told a nice story.

Nigs: This was a nice verse but not up to your usual standard. You had some rhyming issues and your flow wasn't altogether very smooth for me and that is your bread and butter usually. Your story was nice had a few quality lines but not enough of them were there. This was one that got away from ya bro.

A decent battle battle one that i was expecting Nigma to take but E.V.P surprised me on it. He had a better verse overall and takes it.

MVGT E.V.P

The Amount of Fucks given: Zero
Shankley View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 37-43-1
Form: WNLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shankley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2015 at 3:27pm
E.V.P wins 5-3
The Amount of Fucks given: Zero
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic