Author
-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Crew: Renegades

Text Rank: #1
Stats: 90-4-1
Form: WWWWNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips, particularly for n00bs
    Posted: 03 May 2004 at 10:15am

Well.. first tip: don't battle till you're ready.

Flow is probably the most basic fundamental thing to have straight. Once you've written a bar, read/rap it back to yourself to check out it sounds OK, and keep changing it till it does.

Multis, multiple and sometimes overlapping rhymes. The more of these you can throw in the more it'll help your flow and it'll animate your rhymes a lot more. See Senor Perfecto? He's obsessed with multis, and he's got 29 wins, enough said. Just think up words that rhyme or try assonance. (That's where the vowel sound is the same, e.g. you're goin' down into the crowd / take you out the only way I know how. That doesn't rhyme but when you're readin' it back in a rap it still flows, get me? Think up words that rhyme or are assonistic (as above) and list 'em, then structure a rhyme from there.

Wordplay, play on words... this can involve absolutely anything, could talk about the music industry, murder, sex... mind you those are the typical ones, try more obscure wordplay. I won't list things as there's so much possible, just use your imagination. Example, from Symbion's sig:

You'll be "buried for fuckin' around" like "hookers in caskets", murdered and clapped quick, "get signed?" when put in a cast bitch!

A good way to indicate word play is with quotes around words that link so people notice it more. The wordplay here is as follows:

buried / casket
fuckin' around / hookers
get signed (to a record label) / get signed (sign someone's cast)

OK, also, structure. Be inventive, yes, but don't make it hard to read. The conventional poetry-type structure is the best way to go. DO NOT structure in paragraphs unless it's exactly the effect you're trying to achieve, as it won't work and it annoys a lot of the members.

Lastly.. don't overthink. If it isn't coming to you straight away then don't sit and boil over it.. don't pre-write.. not too much anyway. The best stuff comes naturally. Make sure to try and hit your opponent personally as well; not something that'd genuinely offend 'em, but yeah. Just make sure your rap is a BATTLE rap and not just any old verse.

Keep it natural, keep it real, come hard but don't overdo it, and make sure not to go apeshit with one thing (e.g. don't do too many multis and sacrifice punches), keep your rhymes rounded and votes will come your way no problem.

Edited by -Orion-
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
King Jehu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Text Rank: #4
Stats: 54-18-1
Form: WLWWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2004 at 11:01am

Good shit, Orion. Another thing I have to add. To go down a line without

skipping...
Press shift and enter.

about Symbion's signature, it also has multisyllable multis (which are fine by me) and he adds another play on words by putting hookers with getting "clapped quick" I don't know if this is coincidental, but the claps is another name given to a sexually transmitted disease.
Also, try to read your rap over a track (instrumental would be best) to see if your flow is at least a bit regular. I hope I speak for others when I say that when I read a verse, I also rap it out to see if it would hit hard and flows right.

No substitute for practice, and no excuse for not doing it if you're serious about this.

peace

Insert something rappy here
SymBion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SymBion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2004 at 2:37am
oh you know it was put there on purpose i'm more deeper than you think
Naite kurasu mo issho, waratte kurasu mo issho.

-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Text Rank: #1
Stats: 90-4-1
Form: WWWWNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2004 at 8:52am
Out of interest.. has this helped anyone? Let me know if it has, or if it hasn't, and any other tips you might like, a bit more specifically.
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
SkyLine View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 7-12-0
Form: Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkyLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2004 at 2:14pm

yea orion ur tip is great n has helped me

cheers brudda

JCmess View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 19-15-1
Form: WNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JCmess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 8:58pm

safe orien, i never new wot multis were, u never told me lol but i found out of xxplosive n den red dis so cheers anyways,

holla out man n gud advice PS my names origonal, my initilas r JC n my first names james, the MESS if from d MES at d end, but MESS snds better lol :-p safe n holla out hehe

Thickest crap View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 5-17-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thickest crap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 9:52pm

Yah thanks for helping all the wee new little ones

S double C View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 7-17-0
Form: LWWWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S double C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2004 at 7:22am
 Orion its helped me alot.Just ignore my battle score.
Na ive read it over nover again an its helpin. Cheers
SdoubleC
hit the floor,an duck for cover,my spits bring gore,u wont recover,
from my raw spit,ur bone an flesh,im young an fit,well hung an feelin fresh,
Carnage View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 3-8-1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2004 at 9:10am
yeh its all good on this page thanks for this Orion, gota agree with Jehu on what he says, i sometimes throw an instrumental on to see what it sounds like when your rapin it out over it. Good ones to use i think are 8 mile road instrumental and Street Dreams Instrumental. Theres loads of other but these are jus the 2 that came 2 mind
Anonymous View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2004 at 4:30pm

big thank you

Stash View Drop Down

Stats: 0-2-0
Form: LL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2004 at 6:17am
cheers.......nice tips
Tec View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
...Forsaken By God...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2004 at 9:18am

Nice Orion Nice ...

...!!Tec!!...
dollaz View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-2-1
Form: WLLN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dollaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 7:09pm
thanks for the help man but i could still use a few more
PIMP MASTA DOLLAZ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic