Elevation Centre: Tips to improve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DynamicHaste View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DynamicHaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips to improve
    Posted: 25 September 2015 at 1:22pm
For anyone who has successfully improved their lyric writing what is your technique? Do you think hip hop lyric writing is an art or a science that is learnable ? I have noticed improvements in my writing over the years but they are minimal. I would say I am 50% better than I was 8 years ago. I am trying the organised grinding approach now and trying to find my own rap voice and style.

My lyrics mostly just sound like Eminem and I cannot move from that style. Mostly because I really like how em writes his music and find it difficult to come up with my own style. 

Also coming up with 'gold lines' is difficult for me. I do not know when a line is good or not. So I tend to throw stuff out there and I get good job on lyrics I find are medicore and rubbish critiques on lyrics i personally like. 

Can anyone provide examples of verses that are AMAZING and WHY they are amazing by famous rappers ?

any tips ?

intrikit View Drop Down

I am Vib. Klean

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-4-0
Form: WLLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote intrikit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2015 at 1:57pm
-awaits a list of songs by eminem-
Sky Scrapur View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sky Scrapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2015 at 4:18pm

Personally i listen to Nas and Slick Rick just cause i enjoy story telling. You can listen or even read "Children's Story" by Slick Rick

Or NY State Of Mind by Nas

what i like about their writing skills is the ability to potray a picture in motion, it's not like some poetry where you just do descriptive writing and everything seem to stand still. These dudes write movies!

Wanna write an impressive verse? Then wait for inspiration!.

Don't stress about what people say about your lyrics, if you like your lyrics then that's it, other opinions are just personal tastes of music.

Another man's meat is another man's poison. For example some people like 2Pac's songs but i just don't feel em. That's just me, and that doesn't change 2Pac's lyrics.

HAVE A BACKBONE bro, don't let your rap be mixed by people's different preferences. If there is a critique that makes sense to you? Then take it but the rest ignore and say thank you.
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2015 at 11:35pm
There is a famous quote from Einstein about doing the same things and expecting different results. If you've only improved 50% in 8 years you are doing something very wrong. As any standard learning curve would dictate you make the most rapid improvements early on.

It is absolutely learnable, irrespective of whether it's an art or a science...there is the 10,000 hours theory which I'd suggest looking up. Also an interesting book called Bounce by Matthew Syed which is worth reading.

In terms of style, expose yourself to multiple things and that will influence your style, if you just listen to Eminem then that will be the only influence you have.

In terms of why verses are good, you've got to come to your own understanding really which is as important as someone telling you. I'm getting coaching at the moment for a sport I'm doing and my coaches approach is to basically ask me everything and what do I think...the point is, you need to understand rather than being told. He can tell me but I will apply it myself much more quickly if I understand it myself.

I may a sticky thread in the open mic...it's advice worth heeding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic