General Board: When was LA's Golden Era?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by King Jehu King Jehu wrote:

Sup O.

The Golden era of 03-06 had things off-site, like a bunch of us on MSN at the same time. I remember sitting at work giving ILLA some freestyled BARS on a group chat. Now we're friends on Facebook and he's a father too. There was a LOT of crew beef, and more battles than there are today. I went to audio engineering school because I got so heavy into the music. I made beats because of this. Audio engineering helped me get into video editing and got me jobs. My life might have taken a different trajectory if it hadn't been for this site. This is why I come back.

That said, It's impossible for me to be completely unbiased because of that. I learned so much from Orion, Cuba, Perfecto and Stalin about flow, rhymes, cleverness, complexity, and weaving a tight narrative (and BiggStankDawg, who made me laugh out loud in battles more than anyone, and made the Renegade Productions logo). That said, while hanGing laid down the law back in the day, The Law and Cuba have done a great job at keeping this place running and building off the enthusiasm by being creative and giving people writing prompts to work those lyrical muscle. This is far from the time when 8 Mile made everyone wanna battle rap, and it shows. This Identity Crisis tournament is incredible. The topics, the verses, the voters, the creativity here shows there is much more enthusiasm for the writing and poetry of it, and it's not so battle-heavy.

I'll echo what Stalin said: There's a much deeper bench of talent now than we ever had. We had people like Hectic/A-Clipz/frankwhite who weren't winning a bunch of battles, but they had a lot of heart and loved writing. Now anybody can get got out here in them battle fields. I didn't even know Neek was text-battling and he beat Beans, who has the craziest win-to-knockout ratio and 88 wins. There's a real audio section now, and that's great. We have technology to thank for that. There is a much lower barrier for entry into audio now. From what I've seen in the last few weeks, LA has had a renaissance, which seemed unlikely back before Scotty gave control of the site over to scorpia-king and even after.

This renaissance may eventually be greater to objective eyes than 03-06, but I used to listen to Neek when I was on LA thinking "I wish I could make beats for Neek, Javid, Introspect, and Chincheck," and all four have laid down ill flows on things I've created. Aside from Neek, you may not recognize those names (or Hard Target, or Phatal, another outstanding dude back in the day), but the things that happened off the site for us makes that the golden era for me. Orion and I were making beats on shitty 2004 technology trying to send each other huge files on slow connections, and now we have a shared Dropbox folder with old beats and stuff that saved my ass when I had a hard drive die on me. I love what I'm seeing here, and I hope to be a part of it, as time allows, but my golden era was then, despite the open mic verses with no comments at times because of beef and battles.

great post, bro. 

liked.

-Orion- View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Crew: Renegades

Text Rank: #1
Stats: 90-4-1
Form: WWWWNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Orion- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:18pm
That was fucking beautiful

You had to follow me with that shit...hahahaha...if ever you wanted to summarise the difference between me and the King in two successive posts...it would be mine and his on the previous page.........'lol'

And pass on my congrats to ILLA

And I didn't know you do video production now...my man
. . . Now who said they fuckin' with me?
They just said that FUCKIN' with me
They didn't mean it
Nah . . .
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:49pm
Dvon Doom's idea..

"14??? God damn...i actually have a idea...a night of Legends like smack did. The legends of old versus the new wave. It would be epic"

That my friend is a ripe idea,i bet Trizzy could use that for BL4,as an
event,as i also feel this would be successful..Now as for a golden era,I
believe that's talk for the future,as long as LA is up and running it'll
always resemble the old British Empire,the sun wouldn't set over all its
territory at any given time,I think instead of era,the word period should
of been used,as era normally comes at the end,and we're not quite there
yet me thinks..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:58pm
Jehu, I have the attention span of a grazing goat but you held my focus, that was a great read. I gain a deeper understanding and appreciation each time I read a reminiscent post like that
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by SELF ACTIVATE SELF ACTIVATE wrote:

The fact this is even a legit convo in 2017 is saying a lot. I can assure no other Rap site on the web is even debating this right now.

Peak LA = when Self dropped The Pinocchio Complex. Tell em I said it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic