Hip Hop Chit Chat: Who are your biggest influences?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Goryo. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 4-4-0
Form: LWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Goryo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are your biggest influences?
    Posted: 07 July 2016 at 3:28pm
When it comes to your writing style or how you carry yourself on the mic, who or what had the biggest impact on you? I'm really interested in hearing peoples' answers to this one cause it could be anything from a line in a battle you read online to a rock band. This could also be a good thread to recommend artists to others based on what they are into so far.

To start things off I'd have to say my biggest (but not earliest influence) is Jay-Z. Tracks like Politics as Usual, Dead Presidents and D'Evils really opened my eyes to a unique way of presenting certain topics. Underground with depth, but presented in a mainstream way that anyone can enjoy in a lot of different situations. I always thought Jay-Z blended it perfectly, and his witty and creative ways of putting things across is brilliant to me. Don't really know much about his new stuff but yeah.

My earliest influences were Dr. Dre, Eminem, The Game etc. I know Dre doesn't write his own stuff but I didn't then lol. When it came to multis and punchlines, a lot of Eminem's stuff really helped me get creative (313, Words are Weapons, The Sauce, Biterphobia etc), as well as DZK. In a strictly punchline sense I'd say Vakill, Copywrite, Sage Francis, Celph Titled, Bekay, Royce, Cassidy etc. Some guys who I used to think were ill, I don't really rate now (Papoose lol) but they did serve their purpose at the time.

Aside from that I take some kind of influence from pretty much everyone I hear. Guys like Aesop Rock might not appeal to many folks (I don't really listen to him much) but I think the fact that there are so many subgenres of rap, even if it just consists of one or two people, is good because it does show what is acceptable territory for newer people and let them know just how far the limits reach. You can really let loose. I've missed out a few more minor ones cause I want to get a discussion going but I'm looking forward to seeing how some of your minds work when it comes to writing.

Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 3:48pm
Interesting thread and got me curious as to whom inspired others to pick that pen up. I grew up listening to classical music with the odd Michael Jackson here and there and later, at around my 12th, I started getting into rap. It started with either 'Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. or Bonethugs - The Art of War. Only up until now I have developed a style which I'm pretty comfortable with and that's all because of cats like Sage Francis (self reflection), Andre 3 stack (GOD on that mic) and Lupe Fiasco (extending metaphors beyond what's to be expected). 

The stuff I previously wrote always were a bit... Generic and really since I've rejoined this place I got the passion for writing back. As prior to that I used to occasionally tape mainstream records. The three cats that really pushed me in to writing better were actually people who were (are) on boards themselves. They are Exoduzt, Noctural and Freeda5th. Then a couple of months ago I've read an Alicewonder piece which was so abstract regarding metaphors and references that I had to try that as well. Guess it worked out pretty well lol.

Long story short. I developed a style because of the three recording artists mentioned before and actually wanted to improve further on that because of people on this board. 
#Bananas

Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 4:23pm
Well to be honest I've only started battling/writing since I joined
this board,I've always been a big fan of hip hop because I've have
a feel for poetry,and I respected rap,not so much the gangster sort
of element,but real lyrics with alternating themes,I do feel the
late 80's/early 90's the golden age is my favourite era,I do like
some modern rappers to be fair,but the period I mentioned is for
me,as for influences,this site right here is it,the members here
are it..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 4:32pm
The top 5 of course. Dylan Dylan Dylan Dylan & Dylan...
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 6:35pm
#hotfiyah
LMNT 115 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LMNT 115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 6:55pm
Eminem 

Big L

Canibus

Inspectah Deck

MF DOOM

R.A The Rugged man

Early Vinnie Paz and Jus Allah 

This Kid who went by the name MetheuS who used to battle cats online. Kid was only 16 and the lil nigga was nice with it. Died an untimely death. 

Those and this cat Tenfold on soundclick-- One of the greatest word smiths ever.

I'm big on the intricate rhyme patterns and deceitful set ups that misdirect the listener in an unpredictable way.
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 7:03pm
^^canibus,me you and Endeavor are going to be friends,and here's
your first like..peace.
Sky Scrapur View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sky Scrapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 7:03pm
50 - Just the G.Unit beats alone influenced me to start the whole rap thing.

Em - Hip hop has changed and he ain't compromising his beats or music in general just to fit in. That's what i respect, Em ain't easily influenced.

Joe Budden

Snoopy Dogg - The swagger

Nas - NY State Of Mind.....you can check that out. I love story telling and that track keeps me motivated.

Edited by Sky Scrapur - 07 July 2016 at 7:31pm
Droidian View Drop Down
BIG GAME KILLER!

Stats: 7-2-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Droidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 7:49pm
Some great characters here. ..

I'm a Nas, Chuck D, KRS guy
Then to Arrested Development, Blackalicious, Native Tongues
To Black Star...Wu tang...particularly GZA and Ghostface
Common, Aesop Rock, El p and RtJ..
recent ASAP, Lupe, Kendrick, Immortal Technique, Childish

nomedic View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Hunger Games

Stats: 35-25-0
Form: WWLLWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nomedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 10:46pm
Royce da 5'9"
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 10:49pm
Soul, Ogmios and Carter Deems. The holy trinity.

#bananas
Droidian View Drop Down
BIG GAME KILLER!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Droidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 10:52pm
battle wise. ..tony d...chilla jones...shuffle t..soul...daylyt...

Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 10:58pm
^^tony D was tight,villian had he moments too,i like battle wars..
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 11:14pm
If we're throwing battlers in the mix. Can't go wrong with Head ICE. No matter how wack the punch is he delivers it so dope.
#Bananas

Droidian View Drop Down
BIG GAME KILLER!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Droidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 11:19pm
head ice is pretty consistent. ..

Storm $hadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-4-0
Form: LLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Storm $hadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 12:37am
My Hiphop foundation was really set on a faulty ground, would boldly say that now after knowing some few things about hip hop as a whole.

When i started listening to rap songs, i accidentally ran into lil wayne and some of these other mainstream artistes that don't give me what i want as of recent. Soon, i learnt about the likes of Tupac, Big L, Cassidy(First heard his 'I'm a hustler'-Not sure of the title) and so on. But before then, i only knew of Tupac because he's very popular over here, very, until i decided to google seach for some 'Raplines' before i found the rest(Immortal tech ain't an exception, his lines got me like magnet).

Started with them and quickly, i started knowing more and more(and still knowing). Again, there's this post i read from Nigma, it says 'K-rino is the topical king'. Knowing that topical involves story-telling, i decided to hit the guy asap and his first work i heard was 'Valley of decision'(still on my playlist because it's just awesome), heard many more from him and still expecting more after hearing his 2015 album 'Making enemies'.

Anyways, i've got to round-up as this note is getting much.

People that contributed to my development(if we should consider my poor writing skill as developing) in this site?

-King Soul: Offered to teach me but was banned after few weeks, learnt things though. Wish i could still send a message to thank him much.

-Dynamichaste continued but left after some days, taught me things also(gratitude).

-Rebel also, improved my rhyming skills as well as how to connect them and let my content drive my rhymes, instead of vice versa(gratitude also).

And to the whole community, everybody did and are still doing in one way or the other(either by feeding, dropping their works for me to read, and so on) .

Not forgetting this(To the former Team Marquiz.. LOL). When alice came up with a plan for a collab, i literally strained my brain in search of bars that won't atleast ruin the drop(LOL). Was pushed to extra miles which i was glad really happened.
Ridley Squat View Drop Down
Street Team
Street Team

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 9-6-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ridley Squat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Rutter knows best Rutter knows best wrote:

Seconded, thirded and fourthded, YES!
... And of course Shuffle like someone else said

But I'm also throwing out there ...
Adam The Rapper
The Calcium Kid

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 1:41am
Cheeseburger Eddie - where this man got the will to record day after day is beyond me.

#Bananas
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Ridley Squat Ridley Squat wrote:

Originally posted by Rutter knows best Rutter knows best wrote:

Seconded, thirded and fourthded, YES!
... And of course Shuffle like someone else said

But I'm also throwing out there ...
Adam The Rapper
The Calcium Kid

"I don't build sand castles..i take them by force"
#bananas
LMNT 115 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LMNT 115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 4:32am
Check out the song Black & White by R.A The Ruggedman Ft. Timbo King

And White Nightmare By Jus Allah, if you haven't so already for some inspiration yall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic