Hip Hop Chit Chat: Who are your biggest influences?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DrillCraving View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DrillCraving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 9:33am
Mostly UK battle rap. i really like guys like Juan, Quill, Shuffle & Heretic, Soul is my favourite battler so largely him (he started in text battles before he was on DF, apparently he was very good at them lol), ive seen every round of every soul battle at least 20 times and thats the ones ive watched the least. Most uk battlers tbh barring a few.
My name is so easy to flip that if you do it, no one will find it clever.
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 6:04pm
Some very interesting insight presented here. 
@End: You don't know how I truly appreciate you mentioning one of my pieces in there, it's not something I would expect. You really have an approach of your own, though, and it's a very unique one. 

I think there's a too broad scope concerning my "influences". Spoken word (in german and turkish) slightly sparked my interest in writing in general, and I'd say it's still evident in my writing today with the overly abstract/poetic basis. It's funny though considering who really got me into writing - Ludacris with a track called "Saturday" (initially performed "live" by a friends brother) when I was around 11. I then came across MF Doom and Jean Grae, Lupe Fiasco and a UK underground artist called "Savage", followed by various artists like the ones which have been mentioned already. Personally, it's rather a question of "what" got me influenced, though. 
Goryo. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 4-4-0
Form: LWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goryo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2016 at 12:11pm
Agreed with everyone who said Lupe Fiasco especially with metaphors. A prime example of that is 'The Instrumental' on Food & Liquor. Dunno how I could forgot 2pac and Big L either.

I see quite a lot of you got into rap via the mainstream. I can definitely say that when I was introduced to underground and forums etc my style developed by like 300% just reading verses and seeing how they were structured etc.

Good call on the battle rappers though, anyone into the likes of Mac Lethal, Justice, and Jin etc? Last time I watched a battle I think is that one Canibus started reading from the pad on lol.
Subjekt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Subjekt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:08pm
My influence is LLoyd Banks, Fabolous, Jadakiss, Styles P, Joe Buddens, Big L, Jay Z, Nas, some Eminem. I like others like Immortal Tech, Chino and a bunch of others

I like lyrical rappers and punchline rappers!

Droidian View Drop Down
BIG GAME KILLER!

Stats: 7-2-0
Form: WWLWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Droidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 4:31pm
that's a great mix of guys. Chino and Tech are my go to for when i get like 2 hours of sleep and have to be on my game...

Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:24pm
Haven't heard a few names y'all should check out

Blu
Madlib
Elzhi
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:25pm
Coolio-gangsters paradise is how it all started with me. Then 90's rap, mainly jay, Nas, pac, big, big l, early em, dmx, rakim
Subjekt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Subjekt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:00pm
I forgot to add Loaded Lux, as a lyricist I think he's good. And Battle rap had a lot to do with me rapping...
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2016 at 3:57am
writing writing wise, i'd say Chain, Nigma and Wes Ghost. 

music wise i'd say common and nas.

Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2016 at 4:24am
My first rap album was 2pac all eyes on me. From there I discovered big l and big pun. I'd say those were my biggest influences. I got the heartfelt shit from pac, the punchlines of big l, and the rhymes schemes of big pun..

I gotta give a big shout out to people like javid and chincheck, neek, and hard target. Back in the day those guys put out music that was way ahead of anyone else. I strongly recommend looking up their audios.

As far as whos made me a better writer on la, it's first king jehu and chain. Those were my go to collab guys, guys who I knew would bring out the best in me. And it goes on from there, orion, cuba, 2smooth, ikon, fatal, Jay hom, sick Witted, jsass, bsd, calibra. I'm sure I forgot a few. Not to mention all the people who were coming up when I would collab with them.

Edited by Stalin - 01 November 2016 at 4:45am
+Sick-Witted+
Sky Scrapur View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Audio Rank: Unranked
Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sky Scrapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2016 at 5:24am
Nas and 50
H4ZE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: eNtiTy

Stats: 4-6-0
Form: WWLLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H4ZE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 4:54pm
writing wise id have to say my biggest influences are Vinnie Paz, K-rino, Eminem, Joe Budden, Yelawolf, Royce da 5'9 and R.A. The Rugged Man.

Other artists that have had an influence on my style and sound are J. Cole, Kendrick, definitely Kid Cudi and even Lil Wayne at times. But the sound of my music is mostly based off of what type of shit im listening to when i make the music. 

Honestly though i try and learn something from any good artist i hear and incorporate it in my style in some way.
S Dubb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Alter Egos

Stats: 2-7-1
Form: LLLLNL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S Dubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 5:29pm
Honestly I'd have to say my top 5 would be...

Tech N9ne(Do I need to explain?)
Rittz(He's sick with his abilities)
Snow Tha Product(Probably the best female artist I've ever heard)
Yellowwolf(Sickening flow)
Eminem(Purely for his lyrical ability, immaculate)
hosue batter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-2-0
Form: LL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hosue batter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2016 at 1:20am
Bruh why you think papoose a joke i mean papoose been dope is my favorite emcee with cassidy i started listening to rap Mainly because of papoose and also is body of work is really legendary but other mc who inspire me Cassidy nas style p chubby jag methodman and also some french rappeur like yousoupha
Goryo. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 4-4-0
Form: LWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goryo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2016 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by hosue batter hosue batter wrote:

Bruh why you think papoose a joke i mean papoose been dope is my favorite emcee with cassidy i started listening to rap Mainly because of papoose and also is body of work is really legendary but other mc who inspire me Cassidy nas style p chubby jag methodman and also some french rappeur like yousoupha

Papoose has some of the worst punchlines ever. I remember his Thug Connection verse used to get a lot of respect but the whole thing is just forced multis and corny punchlines. He can't stay on beat either.

Guys I bump these days to help me get inspired:

Wu-Tang Clan
Elzhi
Phonte
Black Thought
Louis Logic
Cage
Kool G Rap
Tech N9ne

And the usual suspects.
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 6:01pm
El -P 
Eyedea
Sage Francis 
Cage
Aesop Rock 
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 6:38pm
^^yeah i like Sage and Eyedea..

I didn't list mine so..

Slick Rick..
Canibus..
Big Daddy Kane..
Skully D..
Bismarkie..
Beastie Boys..
Rakim..
Pharaohe Monch..
KRS..
Run DMC..
Young MC..
Jurassic 5..(A Kill/Charlie 2na)

"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
NBread View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Stats: 0-1-0
Form: L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NBread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 3:07pm
It all started with UGK, Too $hort, Ant Banks and Scarface but rap evolved lyrically and it really grabbed me.
Method man with his icy flow and delivery while having underrated substance.
DMX.. Fucking ruthless rhymes, high emotion and he seemed to portray my mindset at the time.
Eminems written freestyles and off the top shit with proof. The structure of his rhymes and the way that he bent words to make them work. The vulgar comedy..
Redman.. You're favorite rappers favorite rapper. To me he's the black Eminem. Highly underrated lyrically. I'll be dat doesn't represent his quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic