LA Magazine: ...:::WWC Mag. Volume 9:::...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...:::WWC Mag. Volume 9:::...
    Posted: 30 October 2018 at 5:29pm

Weekly Writing Challenge

Welcome back everybody. As always, big ups to everyone who chose to participate and contribute to another week of WWC. I notice that as we move forward, the level of pure skill and attention to detail is being poured into these verses. Writers are really pushing the bar up and delivering top quality pieces of work. The feeling out process is over with, people aren’t holding punches any more. . . they are coming out swinging and chomping at the bits to collect as many wins as they can notch in their belts. For this week, I extended the line limit giving each writer 8 more lines to write inside and perhaps more freedom to develop their stories or concepts.

This week’s Topic was that of a guy in a red hoodie standing against a grey background. With a camera aimed at the back of his head, photos are seemingly bursting from his head. These images could have been a representation of imagination, or memories, or premonitions of the future… really, anything you your imagination could make of them.

Neek

"picture this: frame of mind
lambasted; took my time and made a shrine
everything ive drawn since the age of five
I took pictures so similiar; I could trace the lines"

Right out the gate, Neek came into this verse with the perfect opener. In one line, he embodied the entire image. He wrote from the perspective of a photographer that has had his fair share of losses, and a vast collection of memories. The photos serve as still shots of those memories, captured in time and through his artistic view. This was an extremely detailed and polished entry. I feel like Neek really set the tone for this week’s challenge when this verse dropped.

iLL ScriptureZ

"Exposing his battle cry. A gallery of portraits with felonious faces
Developing stages from the skeleton basis. Descriptions identify
Melanin, ages, and relative basics for elements to trace with.
Troubled with coping attempts from a shot in the dark."

Ill came out this week to chop off heads. Maintaining that smooth flow he is known for, I feel that he really stepped on the gas with his more poetic side this week. From an alliteration standpoint, he brought a lot of crafty little tricks and surprises this week. He wrote from the perspective of a sketch artist who must recreate the faces of criminals or crime scenes to the utmost details. He put a unique spin on the topic, and im sure it will not go unnoticed in the votes.

Sammy

"i realize.. we never grow. Only when necessary...and even that's subjective, no?
Polaroids flood my my system as Kodak moments' burst in flame.
it hurts to say...i'll never be able to revisit phrases from eternity's page
but i fuckin cheat the system with this Canon camera. Its as good as it gets."

Sammy’s verse has this rich and elegant build up to it. The concept is that of an artist who sees the entire world as a canvas. Collecting images and capturing moments of time through his work. The subtle narrations gave a nice contrast in the pacing of the verse and ended really strong with a thought provoking punctuation. Great work here Sammy

The Rap Daemon

"I'm leaving this Earth, but keeping a mark
My photographs, I'll be breathing through art
And I know you'll morn my death, and day 'n' night
Say I had photography, what a waste of time"

Daemon had a really good take on this topic. He wrote from the perspective of a man who is leaving his life on film so-to-speak as a remembrance of him when he passes. The argument being he has wasted his life with his photography, and his counter argument that documenting his life is his accomplishment. The flow was a bit formulaic in areas, but the concept was strong and well executed.

Crimson Juice

"Captions of time slow to erode like Uranium
Moments captured via lenses scar craniums, 
Or fractured acts we ourselfs then find alien, 
Sculptured memories that could fill a stadium,"

This is the concept I was waiting for. I just knew someone would take that photographic memory approach. I was going to actually use this same concept for my very own piece, but then I bought a new boat and writing a verse didn’t seem all that interesting to me anymore lol. . anywho, I thought the pacing was really great in this verse, and with a few minor grammatical blips I really enjoyed this read Crimson.

Dntplywelwitothers

"I have no intention to to end it, I indulge in this thievery....
Look at the images you love, before I smuggle the scenery...
Draining your cranium, turn your kin to outsiders...
I am a thief, I confess. You can call me Alzheimer's"

Bar none, I think this was the most creative take on the topic. Using the image to represent Alzheimer’s was just brilliant. The content really carried your concept well. At first I didn’t know where it was even going. I thought it was going to be a story simply about identity theft. As someone having to watch my Grandmother pass from complications due to Alzheimer’s, I can uniquely contest to how this disease steals a person’s identity and completely wipes out who they once were. This hits on a personal level with me. I don’t feel that the mechanics of the verse was as good when compared to a few others, but the content makes up for it.

Neek
Dntplywelwitothers
Sammy
iLL Scripturez

Sammy
iLL ScriptureZ
Dntplywelwitothers
The Rap Daemon

Dntplywelwitothers
Neek
Sammy
iLL ScriptureZ

The Rap Daemon
Dntplywelwitothers
Neek
iLL ScriptureZ

iLL ScriptureZ
Dntplywelwitothers
The Rap Daemon
Neek

Crimson Juice
Dntplywelwitothers
Neek
The Rap Daemon

Rhetorical
iLL Scripturez
Neek
Dntplywelwitothers

Total Votes
Dntplywelwitothers = 15
Neek = 12
iLL ScriptureZ = 9
The Rap Daemon = 4
Sammy = 3

And taking the top spot this week is no other then. . .

Dntplywelwitothers

I confess. I'm a thief. I'm the minds silent pirate.
I'm unbiased. And crime against time's my assignment.
I creep in and I pry it...from behind the eyes iris...
Private photos, so priceless ; pillaged right from the pilot.
I'm a mental marauder... I'm the kind you should fear...
The way I scribble out daughters, and other fine souvenirs...
I am blind to the tears, and decline to revere, your precious
Collection, that you pride, true and dear.
I'm a cognitive klepto. The incurable con-job...
Pulverizing your Pictures, Be it mural, or montage...
While they talk to the teller, who appears to be safe.
I am making withdrawals from your memory bank.
You'll see the tears on their face, as you deteriorate...
Witness decades of loved ones... who are nearly erased.
If unforeseeable forces, delivers me to your doorstep
You will not salvage the gallery from your cerebral cortex...
I have no intention to to end it, I indulge in this thievery....
Look at the images you love, before I smuggle the scenery...
Draining your cranium, turn your kin to outsiders...
I am a thief, I confess. You can call me Alzheimer's

A huge Congratulations to you sir as you are now forever enshrined into the . . .

Week 1 = Nigma
Week 2 = Rhetorical
Week 3 = Spume Corrupt
Week 4 = iLL Scripturez
Week 5 = Rhetorical
Week 6 = Neek
Week 7 = CHAIN
Week 8 = Sammy
Week 9 = iLL Scripturez
Week 10 = Dntplywelwitothers

These topics are meant to push us as writers and will be, by design, challenging to write to. The beauty of this challenge is that it affords writers the ability to participate at his or her own accord. If you don’t like the topic, don’t participate that week. If you don’t like a random adjustment to the rules, don’t participate that week.

This will not be the first, or last time a change will be made to this weekly challenge. Some weeks may be open topic. I might go bonkers and submit a topic with a word association twist on top of it. I might get crazy and do a tag team challenge one week. Point is… this is a challenge, and at times it may present different obstacles then what you are used to or even prefer.

Keep in mind that I have to switch it up and try to be innovative with ideas. I do not want to keep the format stagnant and formulaic because then it becomes routine which leads to boring! I know that some like the routine, which most weeks will be . . . but I have to think of all writers collectively, and I will have to introduce things to keep the WWC fres and interesting.

Some ideas may work, some may not. . . but at least give me the benefit of TRYING before shutting down the idea and throwing a temper tantrum over it.

As always, THANK YOU so much for everyone’s participation. Even if you don’t drop a verse, the votes are just important as the verses. Please feel free to vote even if you don’t drop a verse. I will see everyone again in Week 11. . .

Peace out LA!

Edited by rhetorical - 30 October 2018 at 10:44pm
rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 10:33pm
I really tried to condense the video down and make it brief this go around. . hope everyone enjoys the mag. Great job to all the writers and voters. Thanks
iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 10:41pm
This was fire.. Dnt had the best verse hands down
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 10:55pm
iLL speaks the gospel.
#Bananas
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:07pm
Congrats to Don’t ply wood. Rhet, hats off to you for keeping this going. You not only saved sammy event but made it better with better mags. Like way better. Different level better.
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 12:17am
as always, dope mag, Rhet. The effort is appreciated, for real. And congrats on DNP! well deserved win, sir.

Dntplywelwitothers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dntplywelwitothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 1:45pm
Appreciate it fellas, good luck to all participants for 11.
"My name has the most shout outs in the history of rap...."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic