Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WWC Pre-Mag
    Posted: 30 July 2018 at 4:30pm

Weekly Writing Challenge Magazine

Intro

Brevity is the soul of wit. I personally feel brevity is the soul of all good writing. Take Hemingway for example. Here’s  a guy who made it a style to omit fillers such as excessive usage of personal pronouns and adjectives. As a result he won the Pulitzer. He’s a cornerstone of the modern literary movements of short concise wording and punchy prose. Compare him to Lovecraft who often time does engage in verbal vomit in an effort to “set the stage” and its night and day. H.P. , although very imaginative, but as far as literary competency goes, he’s often criticized for his verbose vernacular. What i hope we can all get from this challenge is 1. To become better writers. 2. Observe the nuance of good writing.

Combatant profile

Slip - Slip’s a staple of LA. I’d even go as far as to call him a vet. He’s known for his clarity. His concept are often very easy to catch on to. The only obstacle i see for him in this challenge is the line restriction as he tends to take time to develop his plot and character. If he can learn to sharpen his wording and ideas,  he should quite a threat to everyone.

Rhetorical - Rhet’s on my top 5 writers list. And i’ve been around many different blocks, observing many different writers. He’s the rare breed who can pull this off effortlessly. His pieces are always competently constructed, utilizing all the necessary literary tools to achieve the desired effect. If you want to become a great writer, i suggest observing his method.

Rap Daemon - Remember when he first came on the scene? Choppy wording, bland rhymes. Now...well check out his heated mess piece. This guy has improved tremendously. If anyone can gain from this challenge, Daemon should be primed for it as he’s already at a “momentum” stage in his writing career. Keep it

DJ Flame - Flame has always been a solid writer. My only critique of his style is the wording aspect. When narrating a story, he tends to overdoes it with the personal pronouns thus giving his work more of a “telling” quality than a “showing”, which i feel is the difference between good writing and great writing. But his concepts are always fresh. We’ll see how he does in the confines of 16 lines lol.

Daydizzle - Just as im writing this mag, this motherfucker has already dropped his verse lol. Day has always been a volume writer so i was skeptic on how he will hold his own in this challenge. And, well, his drop was pretty gawdamnn impressive. He’s a vet here so i shouldn’t even be surprise. Good shit, bro.

Crimson Juice - Crimson is another star turned journeymen. Its a pleasure seeing him improve drops after drops. His verse always has a very emotional turn. I believe he does this by utlizing everyday type of wording which will forced connections with reader, rather easily. His flows are often time very clean. He’s a solid contender in this challenge.

Neek - At the behest of my buddy Self, i approached neek about the challenge. I didn’t think he would but he did. I think this challenge is tailor made for this guy. He may be the most precise writer across the net, or at least one of them. His phrasings are always clever and unique. Thanks for signing up, man and hope to read your verse!

Vellum - I’ll be honest, i’m not too familiar with Vellum. Apparently he’s been a member since 2013 but he may have been on a hiatus of sort. I’ve only ever read one of his verse, it was a braggadocio type drop and he definitely knows how to write. Looking forward to seeing what u got, bro. g/l!

Ridley Squat - as much (and often) as guy has proven himself, he always seems to be stimatized with that dark horse thing. Ridley’s dope! He made it all the way to the finals in the IC2 tourney, i believe! He’s actually one of my favorite writer on LA. He’s a battler so you know brevity is a common aspect of his sport. I am definitely looking forward to reading what u got, Rid!

Spume Corrupt - one of the shining personality of the site, Spume also boast a strong catalogue of work. His writtens are often imagery heavy but when he wants to, is able to inject pathos that resonates heavily. Read his Loraine piece, a very emotional tribute to a love one. Another dude that can certainly do damage!

Ill Scripturez - ahhhh this was a late addtion. We know this guy can write. IC2 winner, ill Scripturez is another one of those that can woo the crowd with lazer precision wording and ultra creative content. Everywhere he goes he does damage and carve a name for himself. So glad he decided to take part and as with all the others, i’m looking forward to seeing what he go!

To stay true to the theme of the challenge, i’m keeping this mag short. See yall next week! And good luck everyone!!

Edited by Sammy - 06 August 2018 at 7:37pm

daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 4:47pm
Dope Writeup

Im actually looking forward to seeing some of the off-chutes dropping like Crim, Slip and Rap D. Its good writing practice

spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:48pm
You done this up nicely Sammy
Props for the effort
I see two dope drops already but I don’t see any reference to the given topic?
What is the topic my main? I seem to have missed it
Cheers

rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by spume corrupt spume corrupt wrote:

You done this up nicely Sammy
Props for the effort
I see two dope drops already but I don’t see any reference to the given topic?
What is the topic my main? I seem to have missed it
Cheers

the topic is the image of the man in the forest 
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spume corrupt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 9:07pm
Ah I see or rather I don’t see...No picture is showing up for me must be cos I’m on my phone atm
I’ll check it out on my laptop later
Thanks for pointing that out Rhet

Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:44pm
Yeah i can't see the image either..

And solid write up by the way Sammy..
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Ridley Squat View Drop Down
Street Team
Street Team

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 9-6-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ridley Squat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:33pm
Yep I agree fully ...

a) dope write-up Samborghini!
b) what fucking picture though?

Can any of the special people that can see it, try posting it here?
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:39pm
hmmm....apparently im not able to view it either now that i'm on my laptop. ok, let me tinypic that shit and repost it lol. sorry guys. but for descriptions, its a picture of a guy in a forest. he seems to be musing. but check back in a couple minutes. im gonna try to reupload it

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:40pm
dope write up.

I sent the pic to sammy so he can re-host. he slower than the annunaki's return tho.
#Bananas
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:43pm
lmao! its done

Ridley Squat View Drop Down
Street Team
Street Team

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 9-6-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ridley Squat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:44pm
yep that's got it
Nice one Samoyed
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 12:49am
this was supposed to be a light writing exercise but i see everyone got they gloves off. lots of dope work. my judges are already unsure on an actual winner based on the drops so far.

The Rap Daemon View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 6-14-0
Form: LWLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Rap Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 1:20am
Loads of different interpretations as well. An open-ended picture for sure.
Faggot
Slip View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Alter Egos

Stats: 14-33-0
Form: LLLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 1:36am
Keeping them all in the same thread was a dope idea to
How does the judge panel work, will we see the voting or will a winner just be announced
See no evil speak no evil silent echo alter ego
inner demon violent beast so
warn the mother fucking people
The Rap Daemon View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 6-14-0
Form: LWLWWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Rap Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 1:54am
Probably a magazine talking about each piece in brief detail, with a quotable from each as well quick feedback, then the winner announcement like how it's done with the OM King, amirite?
Faggot
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 2:08am
Originally posted by The Rap Daemon The Rap Daemon wrote:

Probably a magazine talking about each piece in brief detail, with a quotable from each as well quick feedback, then the winner announcement like how it's done with the OM King, amirite?

You not even asking for much...
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 4:22am
could the verses be hidden then revealed when they are all in? 
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Slip Slip wrote:

Keeping them all in the same thread was a dope idea to
How does the judge panel work, will we see the voting or will a winner just be announced

that's basically how i mapped it out. 

Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by rhetorical rhetorical wrote:

im pretty sure it can. u think we should do that? (maybe not for this week but next week and so forth)

Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

Originally posted by rhetorical rhetorical wrote:

im pretty sure it can. u think we should do that? (maybe not for this week but next week and so forth)

i personally would prefer it to be that way. . would be kind of cool to just see all the verses be revealed at the same time 

and also the benefit of not revealing your hand before others post their verses ya know. . . 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic