Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post tournament feedback
    Posted: 07 December 2015 at 10:27pm
Guys, we tried a lot of new things with this tournament...would appreciate it if people could spend some time giving some feedback about what you think went well & what didn't go so well here.

I have my own ideas and opinions but I'd like general membership to give their own so we can use the feedback to shape future tournaments and offerings we put forward. Clearly this one didn't work as well as we hoped and we want to make things better in the future.

Thanks.
Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 95-24-5
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 10:51pm
i feel that banning ppl for no showing may have been the throat punch to the activity now. maybe a different punishment could have worked. like no allowing them to particapate in the next tourneys. i also think due dates should have been shorter. maybe not for topical but for reg text battles a week should have been good. forcing ppl to vote on every battle in their tourney could have helped with votes. anyway...thats my pennies. its all learning experience i hope the next tourney is a hit. you did good cuba for the position your put in.

Im'a hit up that final shortly
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
Concrete View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 33-6-0
Form: WWWWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Concrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 1:53pm
Besides having a pic battle, something I find rather contrived, I don't think there was much to critizise regarding how it was runned. What truly fucked it up was all the disappearance acts.
daydizzle89 View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LWWLLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daydizzle89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 4:09pm
My opinion is that I think signups are a little to lenient. We had members that weren't really active to begin with join the tourney and BAM!!! They no-showed. I know real life shit happens and stuff but at least write a damn verse and take one hour out of your time to do so. If it takes you longer than an hour to write a verse. You are in trouble from the Gecko.

Also, the time it took to finish the tourney was way too long. I know it wasn't the ideal of circumstances and the tourney had to be done on a whim but I think setting earlier deadlines for it will help let the tourney move along.

If I can think of anything else. Ill post it up
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 6:13pm
Shit, my bad guys...didn't see any responses on here but forgot it was an "approval only" board!!

@Beans...I definitely take on board the feedback about banning people for no showing. It was part of the original stipulations so felt like it was only fair that I stuck to it but in hindsight I changed other components of it halfway through so could've changed that. The purpose of the banning was to provide a disincentive for people to no snow & that clearly did NOT work. Bottom line I think the amount of time between SS launching it as an idea and it actually happening, plus the big gaps between the due dates are what caused the no shows. That's the theory I'm testing with Battle Royale...getting it started ASAP and having short deadlines. Guess we shall see what happens.

Also agree that the judging just didn't work either...think if we do use nominated judges in the future I'm going to make it more like boxing - best of 3 but you don't need to explain your vote massively. Just the judge declares the winner as he sees it. As long as we have well respected judges it should be fine.

@Con...agree, as I said I reply to Beans I'm trying to change direction a little bit to help avoid the no shows. I think it also comes down to personal responsibility too...don't say you're gonna do something when you might not be able to do it!!

@Dizzle...don't know if I totally agree, I mean, there were a lot of established members who no showed. I don't think it's a "newbie" issue. I think it's important to make everyone feel like they can join in...otherwise how do you set the criteria?

On the deadlines, agree, felt like I was giving people more opportunity NOT to no show giving them two weeks but actually that extended the tourney massively, especially with the voting. So yeah, shorter deadlines FTW & time limited voting periods.
Rutter knows best View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Crew: EMPIRE

Text Champ

Stats: 44-12-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rutter knows best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 7:04pm
I agree with what's been said to be honest.
The biggest problem was as started it with all these rules and stipulations, that were never gone be easy to carry out. U did ya best but it was kinda doomed from the start, when ss left half the people thought it wasn't happening anymore which fucked shit up. Shorter deadlines and no bans is the way forward. I think this'll run smoother.
#bananas
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 9:33pm
Yeah it was pretty convoluted and complicated...almost doomed to failure. Possibly should've just scrapped the whole thing & spent the time executing my own ideas. Didn't really want it to flop as felt it would have wider implications...which I guess have still materialised just in a more drawn out / painful way.

Live & you learn.

By the way, I do appreciate you guys taking the time to give your opinions. Like I said in another thread, I want to try and run things that people enjoy and ensure those people who want to get involved can have fun.
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Site Owner
Site Owner
Speaker of Wisdom & Truth

Stats: 3-4-0
Form: WLLWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Scotty32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 9:38pm
RE don't commit to something you can't do, fair enough it dragged, but I got extremely busy durin it and still made time to get a verse in. Though I only expected to be in the first round.

Also in my experience over the years, it's usually regulars who no some rather than newbies.

Great and Glorious Supreme Presidential Leader of the People's Democratic Republic of LA
Arthur View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Text Rank: #5
Stats: 36-7-0
Form: WWWWLL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 10:30pm
Brutally honest? Topical tournaments don't work in the current state of LA. The last few topical tournaments have dragged insanely. I've never been a topical battler, i don't write topicals so I've always tended to not vote on them as much as regular battles. Maybe that's something I'll look to do more of in the future.

But yeah, that's just my opinion.

Zinaii View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 47-27-10
Form: WLNNNL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Zinaii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 10:51pm
I honestly got online with a picture to upload and I was banned, I was late as fuck though I understand that, my thing was trying to give him some ammo to work with and not just a basic picture, but its all good scoot and cubes y'all are still my guys lol, the blame shouldn't bebput on the moderators though because we really dragged our feet with the voting. This is an om site imo, everybody wants their own spotlight and we have to realize its a COMMUNITY. you still have to contribute to keep things rolling, it takes 20 minutes to write a good detailed tourney vote nobody's that busy to where they don't have 20 minutes, that's just my opinion
Zinaii View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 47-27-10
Form: WLNNNL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zinaii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 10:54pm
And scoot I want a rematch dammit
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Arthur Arthur wrote:

Brutally honest? Topical tournaments don't work in the current state of LA. The last few topical tournaments have dragged insanely. I've never been a topical battler, i don't write topicals so I've always tended to not vote on them as much as regular battles. Maybe that's something I'll look to do more of in the future.

Yeah we all know you're a battler man!!!

Gotta say I disagree with the topical point though. I went and counted the no shows, THREE in the topical vs EIGHT (yup, 8) in the text. That's 50% of the original participants list for text.
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Zinaii Zinaii wrote:

And scoot I want a rematch dammit

I was telling Scoots he should topical battle more, maybe this is his chance

Winner takes number 1 contender spot for topical?!
Arthur View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

Originally posted by Arthur Arthur wrote:

Yeah we all know you're a battler man!!!

Gotta say I disagree with the topical point though. I went and counted the no shows, THREE in the topical vs EIGHT (yup, 8) in the text. That's 50% of the original participants list for text.

Jeez, didn't think it was as many as 8.

I just go by the last all text tournament. Straight battling no fucking gimmicks or aliases or pictures.

Clash for cash. It started with 16 battlers, it had 0 no shows. All round were just straight battles. From the first round battle threads going up to the last vote in the final it took just 45 days to complete the whole tournament.

Plus the standard was fantastic.

The sense of achievement I got from winning that tournament was immense.

I think if and when the next tournament rolls around it should just be a straight battle tournament, no gimmicks, no fucking aliases just back to basics, back to why pretty much 90% of people join the site. Pay to enter. No refund. Bet we don't see many no shows in that tournament. I know some old heads would love to get back on it for one tournament like that as well. Myself included.
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 10:01am
Yup I totally agree...I didn't mean to point out the no shows as "text battle tourneys are dead", it was more in defence of the topicals as I think we still have mileage in those...

Pay2play is the future of text tournies though, I also agree on that front.

Question...if you did pay2play how would you feel about the boxing judges style voting system where we get 3-5 respected heads and they just nominate a winner rather than massively breakdown each verse?
Arthur View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 3:39pm
Well, I've always been a fan of giving feed back, you've seen the detail I can go into when feeding a battle (in fact I've seen the detail you can go into!) so I'm not a huge fan of the idea. Particularly for a pay2play tournament, because if it doesn't quite work then it'll affect similar tournaments going forward. I also think, well in my mind anyway, if I pay to enter, my levels of effort for my verses are going to be at 100. So I'd actually like a bit of feedback.

When the time comes i.e after the battle royale and we decide the next move, we'll discuss how it might work in terms of how much you pay to enter and how the money is handled etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic