Elevation Centre: Any tips for changing my voice w/o editing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any tips for changing my voice w/o editing?
    Posted: 06 October 2018 at 9:08am
Well, there are three effective ways to change your voice:

1. Chain smoking;
2. Heavy drinking;
3. Become an US army drill sergeant.

I don't think that any of these sound all that enticing, though. To be honest, fam... Embrace your voice. I was discussing it with the dudes on the discord the other day. I thought you sounded like a bootleg Slick Rick and someone else thought you sound like Shock G. It's not even a diss, just an observation.

My voice fam, major shit. When I recorded a lifetime ago I had to give my everything to not sound nasal and I still sound nasal on some tracks at times. Can't help it. I slur my words a bit too, can't help that either. Just accept it and try to build your style around it. Pac slurred his words worse than I do. He had to re-record certain parts of his verses just because of that and there are more artists like this, man. Don't worry about it.

I think your biggest problem at this moment is doubting yourself based on some feedback you got and that brings forth frustration. Don't focus on the negatives, but focus on the positives. When I say you sound like bootleg Slick Rick that can mean two things. 1) You sound like a Slick Rick wannabe (which I don't think) or 2) You have a unique voice that reminds me a bit of Slick Rick (Which I do think).

Tl;dr: Don't worry about your voice, be confident about your skillset.
#Bananas

Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 11:34am
Flame my brother, im gonna kinda echo the other feedback thread. people come in with preset expectactions and the thought process of "ok..time to be overly critical!!"

had Kendrick Lamar who is easily one of..if not the most loved rapper of today had posted his shit without being "Kendrick"..he'dda got alot of voice shit too. "flow cool..lyrics ok..but you sound like a robot alien."

dont worry about "changing" your voice. just focus on growing your skills bro. your voice will change on its own. if I posted a track I did when I was 16.. youd be like who the fuck is this tho?!?!

the internet is a fickle place.. in the words of the homie Dont-Apply-Oil-With-Otters.. the "prissy ass poets" sometimes be on one. just look for the useful info.. and nevermind the shit you cant change.. like your voice. be you and everyone whos gonna rock with you will. you got this bro. youll only get better.
#Bananas
Neek View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Super Mario Slaughterer

Stats: 3-1-0
Form: LWWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Neek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 11:35am
also endeeze mad right.
#Bananas
Stalin View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Renegades

Stats: 34-12-2
Form: LNWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Neek Neek wrote:

Flame my brother, im gonna kinda echo the other feedback thread. people come in with preset expectactions and the thought process of "ok..time to be overly critical!!"

had Kendrick Lamar who is easily one of..if not the most loved rapper of today had posted his shit without being "Kendrick"..he'dda got alot of voice shit too. "flow cool..lyrics ok..but you sound like a robot alien."

dont worry about "changing" your voice. just focus on growing your skills bro. your voice will change on its own. if I posted a track I did when I was 16.. youd be like who the fuck is this tho?!?!

the internet is a fickle place.. in the words of the homie Dont-Apply-Oil-With-Otters.. the "prissy ass poets" sometimes be on one. just look for the useful info.. and nevermind the shit you cant change.. like your voice. be you and everyone whos gonna rock with you will. you got this bro. youll only get better.

Couldn't say it better than he and end did. Be you. Look at big L.. when I show him to people, first thing they mention is his voice and then are left speechless...
+Sick-Witted+
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 5:55pm
I guess it's a case of your voice is the only character sound you need,it's
how you deliver that spoken voice and at what pitch,I agree with Endeez
totally here...peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Elision

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:10am
Writing about shit that you genuinely feel and believe will help as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic